• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Refer to the Wii homebrew thread for full details. I've just conveniently bumped it.
I don't do the disc thing anymore, mang. Unless we're talking 360 and PS3, sadly.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Nah. Wii + 500GB USB HDD = shelf of forgotten discs (+ performance improvements + mega convenience + shorter load times)

botticus

Played an hour and a half, love it!

Two questions so far:

1) Where am I supposed to find the hearts to see who's in love to get married? They told me who it was, but two of the people have similar names, so I didn't recall, and with both possibilities, I saw no hearts (I guessed correctly, though!).

2) Is there a way to call/locate someone in a particular job? I was looking all over for a damn farmer, but they were hiding or something.

I accidentally threw one of my farmers at a bad guy and he died... so I thought it was a good time to quit. :D I will have to remarry my soldiers tomorrow.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mejilan said:
Is it just me, or is the manual truly an uninformative piece of shit?
i enjoyed the subtle humor in it on my commute home tonight. on this note, LKS get! : )

Wow, when I saw the ad on the back cover of Jump I totally wrote it off as being kiddy and dumb, but it sounds like I may have made an error in judgement.

kottila

botticus said:
Played an hour and a half, love it!

Two questions so far:

1) Where am I supposed to find the hearts to see who's in love to get married? They told me who it was, but two of the people have similar names, so I didn't recall, and with both possibilities, I saw no hearts (I guessed correctly, though!).

2) Is there a way to call/locate someone in a particular job? I was looking all over for a damn farmer, but they were hiding or something.

I accidentally threw one of my farmers at a bad guy and he died... so I thought it was a good time to quit. :D I will have to remarry my soldiers tomorrow.

1) just send your whole team into the church. They will marry the two that are in love

2) You'll have to wait a short while.

Eteric Rice

Magnus_Bulla said:
Wow, when I saw the ad on the back cover of Jump I totally wrote it off as being kiddy and dumb, but it sounds like I may have made an error in judgement.

You have made an error in judgement.

zigg

Hey, looks like I might get my copy tomorrow or Friday; finally arrived in the state :D

Good timing, too. I've been way too busy with my Wii Sports Resort coverage, but it looks like I'll be ready to go when it arrives!

I'm playing this one as a regular citizen, too. I might make a post or two about how great it is but I'm not reviewing it, not previewing it, nuttin'. Just enjoying it. :)

Got it. I'll play it tomorrow. It's getting late.

However, the disk is in full color? What? Is this a shift in Nintendo policy for disk manufacturing? It's my first Wii game with more than the typical 2 tone color... :lol

YEAH, I forgot to mention that the disc is in full color, holy shit! :lol

Hey, if any game should get the honor of being the 1st Wii game to have a full colored disc, there's hardly a more worthy contender! :D

As a matter of fact, I think I'll ask XSEED about that. :D

this game is really great so far

I'm somewhat happy there are no pointer controls by default because I can be extra lazy when playing this game (instead of having to point to the screen) and this game kinda suits that kind of lounging. But I do wish they made the targeting a less touchy. It's not an issue outside of battles, so whatever.

Hero of Legend said:
YEAH, I forgot to mention that the disc is in full color, holy shit! :lol

Hey, if any game should get the honor of being the 1st Wii game to have a full colored disc, there's hardly a more worthy contender! :D

As a matter of fact, I think I'll ask XSEED about that. :D

Actually, that's the norm now.
I think Conduit was the first to release, with Ghostbusters quickly after.
All Wii games released recently have been full color.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
game rocks.

re controls, the only type of situation where pointer would be preferable are boss battles where the target is usually single and highly mobile (i do tend to mis-guide my subjects in boss battles), so the ability to quickly 'track' that target with IR would've been welcome. in all other situations i've been perfectly fine with directional controls, and actually i think that in more cluttered situations visually aiming the pointer would be a royal pain. now you just have to generally direct and see what you're hitting.

anyhow, game gives me a 1/3 settlers, 1/3 pikmin, 1/3 MLAAK vibe, which is excellent in my book.

also, i can't fathom what kind of person whould complain about the game music - all music pieces match the atmosphere of the game, and are classic. literally.

i'm so gald to be playing this game.

larvi

My copy is on it's way from Gamefly. I'll probably do the keep it option ($37.99) if I like it, it sounds like something I will like.

GhaleonQ

Hm. I'm surprised that there aren't more reviews out yet, since the US version was finished a while ago and XSeed just put advertising up on the big websites. Supposedly, Garnett at 1-Up's playing it in addition to the reviewer, but he usually mentions what he's playing on his Twitter feed.

Touchdown

Banned
Amir0x said:
i must admit, though i am super happy for LKS and am really genuinely excited for it (and this review is SUPER POSITIVE), I still can't help but be amused at the speed at which certain nintendo fans break their back to defend the complete lack of using wiimote controls, in a genre which clearly would benefit from it. Maybe this is a magical one that would actually not benefit at all, or not much, but it is very amusing.

Like all of a sudden a reviewer mentioning they would have liked wiimote pointer controls is a sin. How dare they! These are the very same people who mention every genre on earth should utilize wiimote now, and bitch when PS360 game reviews don't mention that the games are worse off for not using it.

Of course fanboy hypocrisy always makes me laugh. I'm only human.

The hypocrisy that annoys me is when reviewers go "meh the waggle is unnecessary, this game would be so much better without the waggle" then all of a sudden they get all bummed out when a game does not include said waggle.

bartris

Neo Member
Touchdown said:
The hypocrisy that annoys me is when reviewers go "meh the waggle is unnecessary, this game would be so much better without the waggle" then all of a sudden they get all bummed out when a game does not include said waggle.

After playing this game for 40+ hours, im pleased it doesnt have pointer controls... Its nice to just sit and enjoy a great game, both arms sitting wherever they want comfortable and enjoying the game..

boiled goose

good with gravy
Touchdown said:

well, the difference is that you seem to consider waggle for everything the wii can do.

I consider waggle, motions controls, tilt, and pointer controls separate things.

waggle usually means shake wii mote for an action. much like attack in TP or okami. reviewers usually dont like it because actions would typically be better suited to a button, especially when used frequently and need to be timing precise.

motions are similar to waggle but require a specific direction of motion, much like the tricks in excitebots or the finishers in madworld and deadly creatures.

tilt is self explanatory

pointer is usually a good choice if implemented well. FPS, Third person, RTS, and most menu navigations benefit from a pointer. for menu navigation it should be an option but not mandatory, it is annoying for example how in AC CF it is required to sell items but the game doesnt use it otherwise, which means you have to adjust yourself to point at the screen.

i think games like pikmin and LKS should have a no pointer system like original pikmin when the pointer is not facing the screen (or holding a button or something) the pointer could be used when more fine aiming is required

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Linkzg said:
this game is really great so far

I'm somewhat happy there are no pointer controls by default because I can be extra lazy when playing this game (instead of having to point to the screen) and this game kinda suits that kind of lounging. But I do wish they made the targeting a less touchy. It's not an issue outside of battles, so whatever.
That's what I loved the most somewhat. The fact that I could just boot up the game and haphazardly slouch on the couch while expanding my empire. I honestly think pointer controls would not have added anything whatsoever to the game, but it should have been included merely for an additional option to calm the nerves of those who asked for it.

GODDAMN IT

So after my shipment is delayed by a day due to "external factors," I get the game today and pop it in the Wii. I select the Disc Channel, and see the LKS logo and stuff, and click start.

My Wii seems to churn on the disk, clicking and "restarting" from what it sounds like. After about 5 times, it just tells me there was an error, and to eject the disc and power down the Wii.

I do so, and retry a bunch of times. It never starts the game.

I tried:
- putting the Wii in the horizontal position. No luck -- it actually doesn't even load the game at Disc Channel when in this position, instead it makes the Wii crash even from the menu.
- playing other games. I tried Punch Out!! which works fine. I put in Smash Bros Brawl because I remember people having laser issues with that game... worked fine. Then to cool off I played 2 hours of No More Heroes.
- I also tried downloading updates but alas I have the latest updates available.

This SUCKS. Now I get to return the game to Amazon. Yay.

Loving what I've played thus far. I've created the first two training facilities, pillaged the area surrounding my town and have slain the fearsome
zombie cow
. I decided to be a benevolent ruler and let my subjects have their celebration before I build the bridge across the river, crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentations of their women. I like the cycle of gaining loot drops from exploration and combat, selling said loot at the end of the day to fill my coffers full of Bol only to spend that money on improving and expanding my kingdom requiring the process to begin anew the next day.

Tiktaalik

I spent about 10 minutes wandering around the world walking around the invisible walls, clicking buttons with my 5 useless villagers in tow trying to find money. I managed to find 10,000 but apparently I need 100,000. I'm not sure where I'm going to find it.

On one hand it was a bit annoying to have no idea what to do, but on the other hand, that's a pretty ballsy move development wise, and really it's the sort of thing I've been asking for, so I guess it's ok.

I really couldn't give this game much playing time because I'm exhausted from work and the terrible music, graphics and presentation was wearing me down.

I'm definitely going to pick up this game and play it some more when I'm not feeling so exhausted but I felt like posting that this game gave me one of the worst first impressions in a long time. Second only to the PS3 Ghostbusters demo which I played just minutes before. (yikes what a crappy gaming evening).

I'm expecting on my next playthough I'll appreciate the gameplay, and I'll jump on the fan bandwagon, but everything else about the game was massssively making me want to turn it off immediately this evening (which I did).

GhaleonQ

Tiktaalik said:
I spent about 10 minutes wandering around the world walking around the invisible walls, clicking buttons with my 5 useless villagers in tow trying to find money. I managed to find 10,000 but apparently I need 100,000. I'm not sure where I'm going to find it.

Hm? Money's very abundant throughout, and it regenerates. Check cracks, bushes, and vases. At the very least, you can barely avoid having tons of money later on.

Tiktaalik said:
I really couldn't give this game much playing time because I'm exhausted from work and the terrible music, graphics and presentation was wearing me down.

I'm definitely going to pick up this game and play it some more when I'm not feeling so exhausted but I felt like posting that this game gave me one of the worst first impressions in a long time. Second only to the PS3 Ghostbusters demo which I played just minutes before. (yikes what a crappy gaming evening).

*grins* I think you may have to explain your complaints with regard to aesthetics a little more.

Mekere

Look at the x on the mini map. That's where treasures are.
But terrible music? Really? Maybe it's getting boring after a while when you are stuck in town but I thought that arrangement were pretty good.

By the way, I couldn't find the name of the boss's music. Yeah it's really famous that's why it's bothering me >_<

Tiktaalik said:
My GF just started and did the exact same thing. Try using the targeting button more, it shows you which objects you can interact with when you highlight them.

legend166

Tiktaalik said:

On one hand it was a bit annoying to have no idea what to do, but on the other hand, that's a pretty ballsy move development wise, and really it's the sort of thing I've been asking for, so I guess it's ok.

I'm expecting on my next playthough I'll appreciate the gameplay, and I'll jump on the fan bandwagon, but everything else about the game was massssively making me want to turn it off immediately this evening (which I did).

This is the most baffling post I've read on GAF in a long time. I mean, it doesn't even make sense. Are you sure you didn't post in the wrong thread?

Mekere

I was talking of the half boss music like
The skull cow

GhaleonQ said:
Also, any idea what the one at 3:00 is for this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=heeQtEgI6xY ? (And can we get the title changed to "conquistadors?")

No idea, sorry. :/ LKS made me realised how poor my classical music knowledge was. I only managed to recognise a few songs like:
Introduction: Bolero (Ravel)
Main menu: Pump and circumstance march n°1 (Edward Elgar)
King Duvroc: Habenara (Carmen) (Bizet)
Jolly kingdom: Donna immobile
and 3 from the Nutcracker (Tchaikovsky)...

So if you have some other name so that I can complete my deezer play list. Thanks ^^

Tiktaalik

GhaleonQ said:
Hm? Money's very abundant throughout, and it regenerates. Check cracks, bushes, and vases. At the very least, you can barely avoid having tons of money later on.

*grins* I think you may have to explain your complaints with regard to aesthetics a little more.

I felt so guilty on giving bad impressions (even without reading the expected negative impressions to my impressions) that I turned the game and played a bit more. I easily found another set of bushes and got a big sack of money yet I was still 10k short. Wandering around more again grew tiresome. I turned it off again.

I'm pretty sensitive to aesthetics in games and design in general and if something is badly designed, even a coffee mug, I'm straight up not going to want to use it. I don't just mean graphics here. Little King Story has average graphics sure, but the opening cinematic was great and brought a smile to my face, so that's not just what I'm talking about. There's really a grab bag annoyances. The music is very uninspiring and plain, the menu design (where's the back button? Sloppy!) and typeface is extremely poor, the charlie brownesque talking is extremely annoying, and the sound effects are very bad and almost seem mixed poorly where some seem much louder than others. The constant shoe noise when you walk around is an annoyance. Try talking to the weird animals you can find at night. They make the most annoying sounds ever.

Gameplaywise having to hold down a button to bring up what you can and can't interact with is a pointless annoyance. With regard to control I really gotta agree with the IGN review that the lack of pointer seems weird.

I haven't played really anything at all so I'm not going to seriously critique the game yet, but I thought it was interesting that this fairly hyped game from a casual short glance gives off a terrible first impression and that was worth posting about. I have a feeling for me it'll end up being one of the good/great games in my library that has to overcome terrible B rated construction. No More Heroes and Chibi Robo are maybe other examples of this that pop up in my memory.

I'm playing it now again and it's dark out and everyone's gone and I can't do anything. A quick skim through the manual doesn't give me any hints as to what I can do. Can I go to bed or skip time or something?

EDIT: yup the bed works.

NewBrof

Rossini William Tell - Overture ... it was also used in A Clockwork Orange during a fast forward speed rape scene ... (that was also an arena battle in ACO)

Mekere

Thanks a lot GhaleonQ :) It really bothered me for a long time.

@Tiktaalik:
Tutorial and explanations are given by Liam. Just talk to him when you are stuck. You can also wake up your people by using your sceptre in front of a house, people will go out and follow your order.
Also check you mini map. It will show you where the treasures are.

Tiktaalik

I turned all my villagers into farmers and made them harvest giant turnips that I found :D

NEW COMPLAINT: There doesn't seem to be a way to multitask? Like If I grab 5 villagers and have them cut down some wood I can't go and grab a few others and get them to do something else? It seems like when I push B to call a villager all my team comes running over regardless of what they were doing.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Tiktaalik said:
Gameplaywise having to hold down a button to bring up what you can and can't interact with is a pointless annoyance.

It's a toggle - you don't have to hold it down. Early stages of the game I just left it on all the time, making it easier to find things.

My initial reaction to the game was similar to yours, but I found it grew on me - to the extent nothing you mentioned bothers me, actually I rather like it. Except the annoying shoe noise - which is just annoying!

Mekere

B is the signal for retreat so when you use it all your people will come back to you. Very useful in fights.
Of course you can multi-task. Send 3 of your people on a turnip and the other two on another one. Just remember that you have to be near them or else they will come back to you. And good luck with evil turnips, some are really nasty :D

Oxx

Sounds like everything about the game annoys you, Tiktaalik.

The game's probably a little more clunky than the gushing impressions would suggest, but I don't remember the opening stages being particularly frustrating.

Just wait until you have to get a bunch of units up some stairs...

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Tiktaalik said:
There doesn't seem to be a way to multitask? ...

There is, but not in the way you mention. Your Royal Guard is restricted to the maximum size even when they are working on a task for you - so if you have your max 5 working on something, no you can't get another few.

But within that limit you can set different guys to different tasks, so long as they are close enough together. This gets more important later on when you have more people, more skills and more complicated stuff to do (like digging a hole that is spewing up monsters that need to be dealt with). That's when the mix of your army gets important.

(pah! beaten again)

Top Bottom