• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

I feel bad for those in PAL regions, as not only did the game is sans Pro Scan there, but they also missed the mark when Nintendo granted full-colored discs:

2a0f5f9.jpg

Not a big deal with that, but it's still a shame they didn't get the full-colored discs like us in NA.

Mejilan said:
So, we got a nicer disc, progressive scan, and more content?
Wow.

Yep.

Wonder if Japan is getting anything extra since they're last?

I'm very pleased with the bonuses NA got. 480p was a must, I would've just taken that and have been a happy camper, but Hell Mode and a nice, full-colored disc is the icing on the cake!

Also, just wanted to share that after a few hours of playing, I haven't encountered any glitches or freezing issues. Phew. :p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Could be issues with loading it from the HDD. I haven't actually played my copy yet.
Man, the typo in the subject irks me.

Magypsy23

Banned
I recall having insane framedips in the castle 3hrs in. Which mysteriously stopped after getting a castle upgade. No freezing though.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mejilan said:
So, we got a nicer disc, progressive scan, and more content?
Wow.
not the first time PAL gets the interlaced end of the stick. those 576 lines prove one hell of an obstacle for many devs.

Eteric Rice

So I decided to stay up late one night to see what happens. Holy fuck at the AI and stuff. Everyone seems to have something that they do, and they all eventually go to bed. Except the guards, they take shifts. :O

I was following the music guy (thought I was being sneaky) and he waved at me. :lol

Just got this in the mail today and played for 3 hours straight. This has already surpassed Madworld as my current game of the year. It's sooooooooo addicting. Hope to get at least 6 hours in tomorrow.

jgwhiteus

Received this in the mail from Amazon today, too (with the pre-order bonus doll) - I don't trust myself to get into it tonight, since I have work to do, but I can already tell where my weekend's going.

blu

3751212832_6bde9e985b.jpg

sorry about the ultra-warm white ballance - had nothing to correct it with - picture was taken from underneath a lamp.

Maybe Nintendo just made mandatory for the games to be printed that way, I mean, most recent games has this kind of print: The Conduit, Ghostbusters and now Little King's Story.

Has anyone checked the Wii Sports Resort disc? That would be the best confirmation.

Also... has anyone noticed how every publisher decided what kind of box to use? I mean, just look the Nintendo published titles, they have the Wii logo printed inside, and games by third parties uses different kind of boxes. I have seen like 4 different cases.

blu

Hero of Legend said:
Able to take one of the full side front and center and as clear as possible?
i'll try though i doubt it - i'm physically incapable of shooting without DOF ; )

i will, but not tonight - that shot was taken with the last volt of power from the camera's battery.

Viewtiful Joe said:
Resident Evil: Archives and Let's Tap also has a colored disc.

Can anyone confirm more games with colored discs?

All recently released games since June 20th or so have been full color in NA.

I probably sound like a dumbass like always, but did one of the guys who made Chulip make this? I get a strange vibe of that game (due to designs and vocals) but don't know...

love it so far though.

GhaleonQ

RelentlessRolento said:
I probably sound like a dumbass like always, but did one of the guys who made Chulip make this? I get a strange vibe of that game (due to designs and vocals) but don't know...

love it so far though.

It's been mentioned before here, but yes. He wants to make a sequel to this or Chulip, too.

I've had this for eight hours. I wanted to post impressions in the first hour or so but I was totally absorbed. It's as addicting as My Life as a King (which I thought about while playing this for obvious reasons) but it has a much deeper and more satisfying level of gameplay. I remember wondering to myself why I kept going on with My Life as a King (even though I strangely wanted to anyways). Here, I don't have that issue at all. The goals are fairly challenging and well-defined and it's all neatly packaged into a charming and unobtrusive narrative (I'd characterize it as My Life as a King meets Actraiser meets Pikmin). I consider it one of the highlights of the generation.

I'm also smitten by the soundtrack. I've always wanted more use of public domain songs in video games (putting it mildly, I think it's a tall order for any modern composer to churn out work that even begins to approach the classics and if such a being exists, he/she surely wouldn't be working on video games). The tracks here are perfectly fitting and surprisingly, can stand alone proudly.

It's also worth mentioning how amazing this game looks. I read and watched some reviews that seemed to punish this for not being a state of the art polygon pusher. That's irrelevant to me and not just because it's "stylish". The way the game presents itself on the screen overcomes a lot of issues I have with playing the Wii on a large HDTV. I have to struggle to identify aliasing; it's probably the only 3D Wii game that I would say this for.

I do have a significant problem with the controls however. It's not as precise as it could or should be and this is ruthlessly revealed by crowded combat moments.

And FYI, I had some technical issues with my copy. I had to reinsert the disc thrice before I could get the Wii to acknowledge it. I didn't have this problem with any other game I have played today or recently. I haven't seen mention of this elsewhere but it's probably worth noting anyways.

Someone said it's about 4GB before, is it possible that for whatever reason, it's a dual-layered disc?

Could explain a lot. Remember the problems Brawl had where some Wii's had trouble reading dual-layered discs?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
good to hear.

played about an hour more and have started to explore the sunflower plains and other connecting areas. i've actually gotten pretty close to who i consider my "Captains of the Guard" first theres the fugly, but strong Aiden who wears a kilt and then there's Letty, who wears striped panties (i would know, i gave them to her). then there's the invaluable archer who wields Cupid's Bow, Alice, and now i have a Mega Carpenter and a Miner who i should learn the names of. next order of business is to raise the funds for a Cook, as getting the necessary funds for a merchant wouldn't be all that much more, but significantly more difficult. plus, since Cooks can cream those chicken things with mushrooms and pasta, they'll be invaluable.

this game is quite honestly a blast.

Sqorgar

Banned
Quadrangulum said:
I'm also smitten by the soundtrack. I've always wanted more use of public domain songs in video games ...
Why do people always feel compelled to point out the whole public domain thing? It's practically the same soundtrack as Clockwork Orange, and I don't think I've ever heard anybody say that Clockwork Orange has a public domain soundtrack.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Sqorgar said:
Why do people always feel compelled to point out the whole public domain thing? It's practically the same soundtrack as Clockwork Orange, and I don't think I've ever heard anybody say that Clockwork Orange has a public domain soundtrack.
because using ordinary classical music, rearranged for film started LONG before A Clockwork Orange. it's not nearly as common or precedented in video gaming.

I'm actually happy to hear this game took some people 40 or more hours to finish. My only concern right now is that it will stop having that feeling that there is always something to do, whether it's just exploring the world, city building or taking on the letter missions. I've just been doing letter missions and searching the surrounding areas before I
try and take on the other kings.
I'm trying to save up so I can get the job that lets me open those giant purses in the world, but I always get sidetracked by a different, cheaper job. Thankfully the two job buildings that I just got the option to build don't seem too helpful (unless Chef can do more than cook chicken?).

My solution to the controls was to reduce my unit size to four of my strongest during boss battles. It lets me keep them all close to me, attack without worrying about a building class getting caught up and makes it play almost like a shooter in how I shoot and dodge with them.

oh, and I don't know what happened, but I guess one day I decided to take off from doing missions and everyone fell in love. Four babies in the span of two minutes :lol

and is there a way to have more than one formation I can customize? I have my general set for royale guard and I'd like a quicker way to select my pure four-man battle unit.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
So what do you guys recommend me to do regarding the Frog Sidequest Mission? It's the one in the forest near the castle, and it's causing me some problems. I'm thinking I'm carrying way too many units for the fight because it gets really hard for me to avoid it's poison attacks. Any tips or advice?

Mekere

@Jangaroo
The frog is quite tricky but in the end it's just a attack and retreat fight.

I used a grunt only team that I kept near me with the defence formation. Wait for the frog to attack first, if it uses its poison attack stay as far as possible from it and wait until the poison disappears. If it uses its "crunches from above" attack, avoid it and send all your grunt soldiers on it. As soon as the frog is becoming angry (steam above its head) call all your grunts soldiers back and run away. It's even more effective if you move the king farther after sending your soldier.
Repeat until you can eat frog's legs :p

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Mekere said:
@Jangaroo
The frog is quite tricky but in the end it's just a attack and retreat fight.

I used a grunt only team that I kept near me with the defence formation. Wait for the frog to attack first, if it uses its poison attack stay as far as possible from it and wait until the poison disappears. If it uses its "crunches from above" attack, avoid it and send all your grunt soldiers on it. As soon as the frog is becoming angry (steam above its head) call all your grunts soldiers back and run away. It's even more effective if you move the king farther after sending your soldier.
Repeat until you can eat frog's legs :p

Ah, thanks for the advice. Managed to beat him finally. It was very kind of you to help me out, so thanks again.

upandaway

I think every fight is just an attack and retreat fight. In the end, even if it takes more time to do it, it's far easier to beat a boss with 1 or 2 soldiers instead of a whole army.

upandaway

Haunted said:
What's this about extra content in the NA version I hear?
From what I gather: Extra difficulty mode (harder), progressive scan whatever that is, new disc art, and a new boss based on the fanart boss competition thing.

I'm not sure if the new boss is in addition or to replace the fanart winner of the PAL version, though. But the PAL boss sucked anyway.

zigg

Viewtiful Joe said:
Has anyone checked the Wii Sports Resort disc? That would be the best confirmation.

Couple different blues and grays. http://www.zigg.com/impromptu/matt/wsr_disc.jpg

Hero of Legend said:
Someone said it's about 4GB before, is it possible that for whatever reason, it's a dual-layered disc?

I'll be the first to admit I don't know anything about Wii storage—I just put the discs in and I play 'em—but a standard single-layer DVD is 4.7 GB; I don't see that being a problem... it'd just be full.

Haunted

upandaway said:
From what I gather: Extra difficulty mode (harder), progressive scan whatever that is, new disc art, and a new boss based on the fanart boss competition thing.

I'm not sure if the new boss is in addition or to replace the fanart winner of the PAL version, though. But the PAL boss sucked anyway.
Ah, ok. The PAL boss was
that paper army thingie in the forest, right?

Dascu

upandaway said:

Huh? Do you mean the "boss" you have to fight when you get all those art pieces?

Edit: Goddamn you Haunted.

GhaleonQ

Haunted said:
Ah, ok. The PAL boss was
that paper army thingie in the forest, right?

Also, an added bonus part to the ending for beating the harder mode, though no one knows what it is yet.

upandaway

GhaleonQ said:
Also, an added bonus part to the ending for beating the harder mode, though no one knows what it is yet.
It's a real slap in the face for Europeans in my opinion. I'm getting an inferior game for no reason! What the hell.

I might end up importing it or something. I love the game, but the new stuff suck to just look at.

Volcynika

upandaway said:
It's a real slap in the face for Europeans in my opinion. I'm getting an inferior game for no reason! What the hell.

I might end up importing it or something. I love the game, but the new stuff suck to just look at.

Different publishers localizing the game plus we had to wait a bit longer on our version. Blame Rising Star!

Top Bottom