• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Oxx said:
Just wait until you have to get a bunch of units up some stairs...

Yes! I'm expecting to see a whole bunch of staircase complaints in something like 10 hours from now (I remember it well).

It an attempt to pre-empt this: the staircase problem is temporary, guys. Pretty soon you will be able to buy something that makes it easier - so don't give up, just take it slow and steady the first few times.

Oxx

Making the different formations unlockable was even more of a baffling oversight than the lack of pointer-control.

GhaleonQ

Oxx said:
The game's probably a little more clunky than the gushing impressions would suggest,

There's definitely an obtuseness to all of their games (including the aforementioned Chibi-Robo), which is why they make their manuals so great (except this one's). Honestly, while it falls short of Nintendo-style intuitiveness, I found it very easy to grasp from minute 1. The gameplay gauntlet helped me develop new skills quite well, though, so I'd bet things improve from there. I also found the font quite clear, and I'm with you on the importance of that in strategy games. Is your television set correctly?

And while I'll obviously dispute your aesthetic preferences (graphics and shoe-squeaking included) "uninspiring" music is far off the mark. 1. Awesome arrangements. If you don't like them: 2. Perfectly-chosen songs for every area and battle (with an emphasis on the Romantic era). If you don't appreciate that: 3. Secret songs. I'll just post this GameFAQs guy's description: "I didn't do much of Princess what's-her-name (Kokomo Pine?)'s song sidequest, but I remember running about at night and coming across a Hunter humming part of Moonlight Sonata. After I stopped to listen for a sec, he completely deviated from the melody into some wild, Tom Waits-esque falsetto screaming and my girlfriend and I were pissing ourselves laughing. I think I've booted up the game and showed it to pretty much everyone who's been to my house since :D." If that's not the kind of attention to detail that charms you, well...

And, yes, stair complaints are totally valid. I was on an emotional high through the whole game, but most will justifiably dislike that bit.

Oxx said:
Making the different formations unlockable was even more of a baffling oversight than the lack of pointer-control.

I play more RPG's than RTS's, so perhaps I'm biased. I thought that they tried to make gameplay more of a hybrid. Disadvantage: people more accustomed to RTS's thrive by wringing every efficiency possible from the gameplay. The game prevents this. Advantage: it provides a more RPG/puzzle-like structure for solving problems. I prefer the latter, I suppose.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Oxx said:

You're telling me- I spent a while trying to change formation before realising I had to buy it first. :lol

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Volcynika said:
He's installing it to his USB HDD for quicker load times and all that junk.

Seems a pointless exercise for this game, there just aren't many loads - it all comes across very fluid and seamless.Vary occasionally there's a couple of seconds delay when coming out of the castle, but I don't remember any other loading delays at all.

Mekere

Yeah, stairs can be a pain in the neck >_>

And yeah, the moonlight sonata was awesome. I was about to forfeit this quest because the songs were sometimes difficult to find then was Moonlight sonata. I laughed so much that my BF had to see what happened to me and he had a little tear when I made him listen :')

This quest was awesome, really :D

Tiktaalik

Though the game is rough around the edges it certainly is charming. That your villagers bow to you in the morning is aboslutely brilliant.

Oxx

The only things that really got my goat (apart from the stairs) were:

- Cycling through all the different jobs with the d-pad. There must be a better way, surely?
- The challenge posed by certain bosses being completely out-of-whack with the rest of the game.
- Equipping citizens with items was always a chore.

Mekere

I never had any problem with equipment, but I almost always used the same team so I knew their name pretty well.

One flaw that bothered me was with the
Table tennis mini-game

The highlighted level should always be the last one unlocked, not the first one! It really made me angry a couple of time >_>

zigg

GhaleonQ said:
Hm. I'm surprised that there aren't more reviews out yet, since the US version was finished a while ago and XSeed just put advertising up on the big websites.

Don't be too surprised. In order for the reviews to be done on release day, preview discs basically have to go out. Everyone who doesn't get preview discs (which need the rather rare preview Wiis) plays retail. I got my retail reviewable of RFF earlier than most, but this time around I think I might get my Amazon-bought copy faster than our reviewer. :D

And any reviewer worth their salt would have at least played a big chunk of the game before reviewing it—which, in two days, seems to me it'd take a rather Herculean effort.

The games soundtrack made me think of A Clockwork Orange and Nazi's when I was playing through it, especially when Beethoven's 9th Symphony starts playing when your marching around the town with your Soldiers.

Volcynika

Tristam said:
This game is ridiculously addictive. 6:20 a.m. CST...FFS.

Get some self control, man!

Or lose it and have ENDLESS FUN

Seems a pointless exercise for this game, there just aren't many loads - it all comes across very fluid and seamless.Vary occasionally there's a couple of seconds delay when coming out of the castle, but I don't remember any other loading delays at all.

He also does it for convenience!

birdchili

game get.

thread exit.

and now: vacation away from technology to allow the shrink-wrap to age a bit - worst release date ever.

have fun all.

Oli

Been playing a few hours now. I'm thinking my next day will be Onii invasion time.

I already lost two guys to the
Frog thing from the sidequest
. But they washed right back on the beach the following day. The only downside to the loss seems to be that two people in my Kingdom now hate me, I wonder who they are? :p

My only problem with the game so far is the targeting system, since I've more than once thrown a townsfolk into a wall or the incorrect building by accident.

botticus

Oli said:
My only problem with the game so far is the targeting system, since I've more than once thrown a townsfolk into a wall or the incorrect building by accident.
Only time that's really caused me a problem so far is when accidentally throwing someone into the tax collector from across the square. Trees and the like are an inconvenience, but they get back in line pretty quick.

Oli

botticus said:
Only time that's really caused me a problem so far is when accidentally throwing someone into the tax collector from across the square. Trees and the like are an inconvenience, but they get back in line pretty quick.

I also taxed my citizens by accident. What exactly does that do besides give you money? I assumed it made your people less happy and stuff.

Mekere

Oli said:
I also taxed my citizens by accident. What exactly does that do besides give you money? I assumed it made your people less happy and stuff.

You can also get some equipment and some other things. I haven't notice that it made my people less happy though.

zigg

Didn't I read somewhere about being able to send tax collectors into homes?

And being able to send multiple tax collectors to extract a little more dough?

(still waiting for the USPS...)

Volcynika

zigg said:

This is just payback for hating on release date delivery from Amazon! :p

I think it was you who said good luck with Amazon having it early enough to fulfill that, but......still!
:lol

But hopefully you get it in time for a good weekend of being a little king.

zigg

Volcynika said:
This is just payback for hating on release date delivery from Amazon! :p

I think it was you who said good luck with Amazon having it early enough to fulfill that, but......still!
:lol

But hopefully you get it in time for a good weekend of being a little king.

Yeah, that was me :D I hope so too! I was working hardcore on Wii Sports Resort coverage, but all my obligations there are done now—so I'm ready!

At least I can still play WSR in the meantime. :)

gimz

got my game yesterday, didnt have time to play until late night last night, played for 30 mins and found the game is very similar with Pikmin, which is one of my favorite game of all time! :D

just wondering how many people max can i bring out at one time in this game?

Mekere

zigg said:

You can send tax collector into homes yes but if you send several into one house they will go out empty handed after a while.

Anyway, money is almost never a problem, so no need to tax your people too much. Money from loots is plenty enough and you will still end rich like Cresus.

Oli

So what exactly is the penalty for letting your citizens die? I've lost 4 so far
and I just finished the Onii mini boss across the river.

So far I'm having a hard time not losing anyone at all, so I hope the price for death isn't too steep.

Dascu

You can send your entire squad into houses to collect taxes, but you can only send each unit in once a day I think. Villagers don't become unhappy even if you keep collecting taxes, so go ahead and steal their money to fund your political programs.

Anyway, money is almost never a problem, so no need to tax your people too much. Money from loots is plenty enough and you will still end rich like Cresus.
I don't know man, some of the upgrades and buildings later in the game cost quite a bit. Going through my entire town with my whole squad got me like 5 million a time. Definitely worth it.

So what exactly is the penalty for letting your citizens die? I've lost 4 so far and I just finished the VOLCYNIKA MINIBOSS across the river.

So far I'm having a hard time not losing anyone at all, so I hope the price for death isn't too steep.
They usually revive on the Beach. Otherwise... well, you'll see.

Mekere

Well, I usually wander a lot in the other realms. At least once a day and once a night looting everything I can each time that may explain why I never really needed to tax my people. :p
I think I taxed them when my town was complete to find the last items I was missing but taxing them before was kinda heartbreaking :(

Oli

Thanks. And I'm assuming the thing you're speaking of is the funeral's?

Basically I'm just wondering if I'm being too careless, or is it normal to lose a few guys by this point in the game?

zigg

Dascu said:
You can send your entire squad into houses to collect taxes, but you can only send each unit in once a day I think. Villagers don't become unhappy even if you keep collecting taxes, so go ahead and steal their money to fund your political programs.

Honestly, I just wanted to do it for the fun of it. :lol

Mekere

Oli said:
Thanks. And I'm assuming the thing you're speaking of is the funeral's?

Basically I'm just wondering if I'm being too careless, or is it normal to lose a few guys by this point in the game?

It's difficult to avoid any losses. So yeah it's normal. Some bosses or monster are very tricky so as long as they come back.. Well keep going on.

Rhaaa, makes me want to play the game.. again. :p

2 hours in.. the game is a lot of fun and pretty addicitive.

Looks like crap even with component cables (however my tv is probably too big 46')
On a regular crt it looks good.

Only problems so far:
Music and voice acting noises variety (not enough!)
Targeting is tough sometimes (throwing guys into walls, ocean)
Some general clumsiness in picking guys, etc.

Apart from that, the game is very very fun.

I've been playing for a while and have already beaten
the onii king
, but holy crap is there any reliable way to beat
the frog boss
? I've gotten it down to a third health but had to bail out because my soldiers were almost dead.

Oli

Famicom said:
I've been playing for a while and have already beaten
the onii king
, but holy crap is there any reliable way to beat
the frog boss
? I've gotten it down to a third health but had to bail out because my soldiers were almost dead.

The one in the side quest? I lost two guys on him, though they washed up on the beach.
The best time to attack is after he leaps forward a bit. Just don't get over zealous and leave your team on him too long, because he attacks frequently. Try to stay away from his face too, because if he licks up someone its an instant death. When he spits out poison I just ran as far away from his as possible, since it seems to have a limited range. It's a tough fight but its doable.

Ranger X

Well, just got my copy yesterday and on first impression i'm deceived. This is getting traded off for Wii Sport Resort as soon as it comes out.

I never I would be THAT turned off by the graphics but it seems I am. It looked bareable in videos but now there's no way I like this. They tried to pull off "an art style" by cranking up some ridiculous amount of bloom, god rays and lense flares. I hate it. It's completely distracting to me and this then affect the gameplay since i'm not "at ease".

I also don't like the controls and the lack of pointer. I don't "feel" the controls and the menus are really "meh".

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
been playing quite a bit yesterday and today. i managed to beat the Onii king. he was actually pretty easy. having a hunter with Cupid's Bow is the most useful thing in this game. it provides great opportunity when fighting stuff that's hard to kill. beyond that, i think i'm going to grind for a little while until i can afford the shopping arcade. there's a giant purse i've been meaning to crack. other than that, i have a Mega Carpenter and a miner, so i feel better about attacking that giant rock headed thing. either way, i'm pretty much broke until i can get back on and start grinding for that massively overpriced shopping district. i'll have to kill some guardians...

i love the game. i can commiserate with the control problems and it can sometimes be a problem to flick onto what you want, but other than that, no problems. i'm pretty used to the controls at this point, so it's really top notch.

I'm really liking this game a lot. As I keep playing and the number of my units grow, as to the enemies on screen, I'm wishing there were better controls for the battles. Pointer controls could have been one option, but they could have fixed the problem without them. Or maybe I'm just missing something here.

My problem is that the the targeting requires you to be so precise yet gets confused so easily. Like, in this section I'm at, these chickens are sitting on top of a hole. I select my units to attack the chicken; all my units start digging the hole while the chicken is still attacking them. Well, that's just one problem. I wish I could aim and move in different directions. A lock on to whatever you were currently aiming at would have been enough to fix that problem.

edit: I think four or five guys died already for me. I usually don't mind if it's their own fault. During one fight this guy was stuck behind a wall and a sunflower got him.

Oli

How do you get items for people? I've heard people mention it in here but I haven't encountered it in the game yet.

hellclerk

Oli said:
How do you get items for people? I've heard people mention it in here but I haven't encountered it in the game yet.
talk to Liam to look at the treasure room. they should be there for equipping.

Oli

doomed1 said:
talk to Liam to look at the treasure room. they should be there for equipping.

Awesome, thanks.

Anything in particular I should bring to the Onii King fight besides the Hunter+Cupid Bow?

upandaway

Oli said:
Isn't it where you call one of the ministers on the throne? It's been a while since I played it, but it had to do with a menu listing a bunch of them and you can equip items to each one.

Actually scratch the throne part, I think it's in one of the quick menus.

EDIT: Too late. I beat Onii King with 2 soldiers after losing all my other guys in the first few seconds, you can manage easily.

Also, anyone else from Europe feels a bit screwed here? What the hell is with the US version getting an extra mode and boss? I don't need the extra month for that price.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
phisheep said:

I'm allergic to discs. Also, being able to select a game from a slick 3D-ish menu filled with my entire library just by pointing at it is amazing.

VegaShinra

The music in the game is awesome. Classic music and it's used so well. The game is very charming so far but it's definitely not for everyone.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Mejilan said:
being able to select a game from a slick 3D-ish menu filled with my entire library just by pointing at it is amazing.

Now that you mention it, that does sound rather tempting.

hellclerk

Oli said:
Awesome, thanks.

Anything in particular I should bring to the Onii King fight besides the Hunter+Cupid Bow?
nothing particular. i brought 3 bowmen, an axeman, a couple farmers, a carpenter with the rest soldiers. just run around in attack formation until he stops throwing stuff, but be sure to clear out the middle log first. in between attacks, zurg rush and retreat when he's powering up for the next one. it's a really great battle.

GhaleonQ

Though I'm not a big Stephen Totilo fan, he just reminded Gerstmann and Garnett to play it. Apparently, they'll play it this weekend. *sigh*

dyls

Anyone able to find this in the LA area, preferably a TRU? I was patient enough to wait for Wednesday before I started scouring stores, but it still wasn't enough. Release dates on the Wii are generally such a joke, especially with smaller games. I wish they would be more like DVDs and be guaranteed to be there on release Tuesday.

Top Bottom