• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

jay

Magypsy23 said:
It's releasing in Japan today, isn't it?

What is it releasing?

Seriously, just because journalists don't know how to speak English doesn't mean gamers need to pick up their habits.

Bonus fact - The noun "reveal" refers to a specific architectural concept.

Tenbatsu

2r43p8z.jpg

Mardak

blu said:
I've been playing the game for the last couple days and just noticed that the disc was full colored!

I just got lumberjacks so not too far in yet, but it's been lots of fun. My girlfriend just started a game too and got the first Chal.. Lenge! The biggest problem I've noticed is targeting and interacting from time to time. Some places you can't command the followers because you'll trigger the "?" action, and other times my girlfriend keeps overadjusting and takes too long to attack.

But other than that, I see that I've got a lot more to enjoy. :)

botticus

The fight with TV Dinnah really annoyed me yesterday, but part of it was my lack of patience.
At first I didn't listen to his broadcasting at all, and figured the first hole my merchant found was the place to go. Once I figured out his hints, he must have started changing his mind after only one round, so I was diving into a new dig after his first hint and was tearing my hair out somehow getting the wrong location.

Ended up costing me a few people, but they bounced back the next day and I'm ready for whoever the third king is near the Skull Plains.

Jokes N Riddles

Neo Member
botticus said:
The fight with TV Dinnah really annoyed me yesterday, but part of it was my lack of patience.
At first I didn't listen to his broadcasting at all, and figured the first hole my merchant found was the place to go. Once I figured out his hints, he must have started changing his mind after only one round, so I was diving into a new dig after his first hint and was tearing my hair out somehow getting the wrong location.

Ended up costing me a few people, but they bounced back the next day and I'm ready for whoever the third king is near the Skull Plains.

Yeah it took me a few tries to kill TV Dinnah myself. I love the creativity of this game, the bosses have so much variety. It's rather refreshing.

I've been grinding away at this game, one more boss to go, up next is Long Suavage.

botticus

Jokes N Riddles said:
Yeah it took me a few tries to kill TV Dinnah myself. I love the creativity of this game, the bosses have so much variety. It's rather refreshing.

I've been grinding away at this game, one more boss to go, up next is Long Suavage.
I just took him out last night, that was definitely a war of attrition. Off to the New Island tonight, though I probably won't have time to worry about that king.

botticus

:-/

The last boss is either beyond my skill or my comprehension, ugh.
The first three rats are doable, though there is some lack of clarity about when you're able to attack without getting reamed. I managed to get rid of the three rats again when they were destroying the world, but was just flailing around so I lost two thirds of my people - if I'm not mistaken, the correct way to do that part is to attack them while they're beating on the box which triggers them to run around, where you avoid them until they go back to the box.

But the king rat has me completely clueless - the only way you know if he can take damage is if you try to attack him, so you're really being set up for failure.

I think I'm going to go back and redo my party (more soldiers, less everything else) and see if I can just get through on brute force.

2DMention

Banned
9 soliders got killed by digging a hole, and they're not coming back :\

How do you fight the pinball 3rd boss? Just keep sending people after him as he comes at you?

stupei

Did anyone ever figure out what the disc read errors for this game are actually caused by? I rented a copy from Gamefly, worked perfectly. I played it for quite some time last night, fell in love with the game, and decided I wanted to own it. But it turns out with Gamestop listing the game at $30 now, I can get a new copy from them cheaper than the used one from Gamefly. The GS nearest me had exactly one copy left, so I purchased that and mailed my rental back to Gamefly on my way home.

Put the game in, played for a little while, popped back out to play World of Goo, and then tried reloading Little King's Story. Disc error. So I eject it, turn the Wii on and off, but now any time I put LKS in at all, I get a disc error unless I go to another channel immediately. If I just hang around on the channel select screen, though, it gives me the disc read error. How is it possible for the game to work just fine once and not again? I've tried MadWorld and SMG just to make sure it's not my Wii. I don't own Brawl, so I can't check with that.

Should I return it to Gamestop and take my luck finding another one with a copy or try contacting XSEED directly? Thoughts, GAF? Advice? Magazine racks to knock over?

The fact that this was also one of GS' "brand new" out of the box because its their last one left and there's no guarantee somebody didn't play it games also makes this even more annoying. I should be able to just treat it like a used game and switch it for another copy at any GS, but I doubt that's going to fly.

Edit: I mean, I know "nice story, bro," but I want to be playing this game right now and instead I'm reading gamefaqs looking for solutions.

Big B

Just killed the onii king, and was wondering is the rest of the game like this? upgrading, buying more houses, killing more bosses?

TunaLover

stupei said:
Did anyone ever figure out what the disc read errors for this game are actually caused by? I rented a copy from Gamefly, worked perfectly. I played it for quite some time last night, fell in love with the game, and decided I wanted to own it. But it turns out with Gamestop listing the game at $30 now, I can get a new copy from them cheaper than the used one from Gamefly. The GS nearest me had exactly one copy left, so I purchased that and mailed my rental back to Gamefly on my way home.

Put the game in, played for a little while, popped back out to play World of Goo, and then tried reloading Little King's Story. Disc error. So I eject it, turn the Wii on and off, but now any time I put LKS in at all, I get a disc error unless I go to another channel immediately. If I just hang around on the channel select screen, though, it gives me the disc read error. How is it possible for the game to work just fine once and not again? I've tried MadWorld and SMG just to make sure it's not my Wii. I don't own Brawl, so I can't check with that.

Should I return it to Gamestop and take my luck finding another one with a copy or try contacting XSEED directly? Thoughts, GAF? Advice? Magazine racks to knock over?

The fact that this was also one of GS' "brand new" out of the box because its their last one left and there's no guarantee somebody didn't play it games also makes this even more annoying. I should be able to just treat it like a used game and switch it for another copy at any GS, but I doubt that's going to fly.

Edit: I mean, I know "nice story, bro," but I want to be playing this game right now and instead I'm reading gamefaqs looking for solutions.

Your copy had the toy figurine? The product is under revision in Amazon, reading people responses it could be the figurine tight attached.

stupei

Nope, which is another reason it seems weird since all the other errors I've found people discussing online seem to be from Amazon. Mine was from Gamestop, no plushie or extras, just the game.

TunaLover

That's worrisome, then it has to do with a batch of defective copies, no one can be safe... If you could try Brawl that should indicate the state of your lens... but still, LKS is single layer. You could just call GS for another copy, some people had 3 bad copies in a row.

I wonder if XSEED will print more copies or something. I don't want import the game and get a defective copy, that would be a nightmare.

neoanarch

Oh yeah I got the amazon defective copy. If you press on the inside hole you can hear it popping. So it was either cracked during shipping or it was defective to begin with. FUCKING AMAZON and your refund only policy on this game send me a new disc.

Zihark

stupei said:
Nope, which is another reason it seems weird since all the other errors I've found people discussing online seem to be from Amazon. Mine was from Gamestop, no plushie or extras, just the game.
Do you have the Wii cleaning kit? This is disturbing especially since I wanna get this game someday.

stupei

No cleaning kit. I've only had the system a couple months and haven't had the slightest problem until now, so I haven't bothered. I think I'll check the other Gamestop near me for another copy of the game sometime tomorrow if I have time, and if it's no go I might consider the cleaning kit. Tried a few other games tonight, though, and they were all fine, so I'm really thinking it's the disc.

stupei

Exchanged my copy of the game for a new one at another Gamestop and I've been playing it a little off and on today. Restarted a few times to see how it loads up, and so far so good. Hopefully not going to jinx myself, but it does seem like it was the disc last time, part of a bad batch.

So sorry for those that are looking to import, I know that's probably not the best of news.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Finally decided to give this game another go, after trying and failing to really get into it the first time around. Boy I'm glad I did. Loving it like crazy now. Getting ready to fight the Onii King. Any certain party configuration I should take in?

Also, isn't it after you beat the Onii King when the world really opens up? If so I've definitely got something to look forward to.

GhaleonQ

Seraphis Cain said:
Also, isn't it after you beat the Onii King when the world really opens up? If so I've definitely got something to look forward to.

A little. The next is where the scope of the game explodes.

batbeg

So, yeah, I know that talk of a sequel to the Wii GOTY isn't very exciting or worth clicking through to, so here's a couple choice quotes (aka this is a bump in case someone sees this ;.;)

Right now, I'm thinking about [Little King's Story 2]. I actually have a concept in mind. Right now, we are still working on the business scheme, so it's still not official yet, but I definitely have it in mind.

So you have this really cute king, but he's doing some cruel stuff. He's asking his subjects to follow him into the battlefield and die for him, and so it was really important for me to create this gap. That's why you see that it's a really cute game, with some serious topics, and some moral choices that you have to do.

On Multiplayer! said:
n the original concept for Little King's Story, I was considering having a two-player mode in it. What I had in mind was a cooperation between two players; one would be controlling Corobo and one would be controlling Howser, and each of them would be leading a troop of 15 enemies, and fighting enemies together.

One more idea I was considering was having Corobo riding Pancho (a bull), and one guy would be controlling Pancho and one guy would be controlling Corobo, who would be choosing the direction.

It was in the code, but it was really, really tough to debug, and so since we had to respect the release date, we had to take it out. So it's kind of sad.

There's a saying in Japanese that big guys are really fragile, like Beauty and the Beast. The next title's going to be based on Beauty and the Beast.

I'm a producer on No More Heroes 2, and I'm working with Suda 51. Maybe a future Little King's Story sequel, and the secret project.

So yeah, nothing big
WTF OMG I LOVE KIMURA!!

Amalthea

Banned
I met Yoshiro Kimura and Kazuyuki Kurashima (of Super Mario RPG fame) at a small event in Switzerland, both of them were incredebly nice and Kurashima-san even signed my copy of LKS!

Kimura-san seemed also pretty delighted that at least one person at the event played (and liked) the game and I congratulated him for this outstanding masterpiece and wished good luck for the Japanese release. (And of course I stated my interest for a sequel! :lol )

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So um...I still don't own LKS :/. I was supposed to pick it up but I just kinda forgot about it.

I figure no better time than now since there's pretty much no game out for a month or so that I give a shit about playing. Question is, should I get the local PAL copy or import a copy from the states? If the states copy will let me play in 60hz as well as have an extra difficulty then I feel it would be best to get the 'biggest' version.

GhaleonQ

Awesome, Tyrant!

And I browsed around the various people's websites to see if they hinted at the secret project, but I couldn't find anything. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a Grasshopper-and-Suda-buoyed adventure game. They already have some of his old coworkers doing Sakura Note, and he hasn't done one for a while. On the other hand, all 3 companies just released games within the past couple of months, SO THEY'RE ALL FREE AND WILL COMBINE TO MAKE THE GREATEST GAME EVER AHHHHHHHH

On a sidenote, I really like the cover they chose for the guide: http://prg.mmv.co.jp/blog/project-o/archives/2009/09/post-148.html

rpmurphy

2DMention said:
I have no disc read errors.

Finally beat the pinball 3rd boss. Was kinda tough. On to conquer more territories!

Just beat that too. I lost 12 guys though. :(

Is there a good strategy for that boss without losing units?

Oxx

Not really. It's just a war of attrition.

Any dudes you lose in a boss fight should wash up on the shore the day after.

It's just the losses in 'open play' that can be permanent.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Tips for Shishkebaboo:

1) Don't treat it like pinball. Instead of waiting for him to hit your paddle, throw soldiers forwards onto the field and let him hit them. Throw a horizontal line of them.

2) Avoid reorganising your troops. That way they will all get a turn in the firing line and you'll spread the damage around

3) When everything gets dark and flashing, send everyone straight up the middle of the playing field

4) repeat above as necessary and don't panic

ajim

A sequel?! Wow. I'm so there.

I've beaten LKS 3 times already, and FINALLY collected everything on my 3rd run. It's so damn addictive and this game is why I love gaming so much.

I've tried to pimp this game to mates, other message boards and people just don't want to bite due to the 'kiddy' look of the game. Sad, sad times :(

zoku88

phisheep said:
Tips for Shishkebaboo:

1) Don't treat it like pinball. Instead of waiting for him to hit your paddle, throw soldiers forwards onto the field and let him hit them. Throw a horizontal line of them.

2) Avoid reorganising your troops. That way they will all get a turn in the firing line and you'll spread the damage around

3) When everything gets dark and flashing, send everyone straight up the middle of the playing field

4) repeat above as necessary and don't panic
Thanks. I was doing number 1 for a very long time. And I still do 2.

For 3
Is it just miners, or everyone?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
zoku88 said:
For 3
Is it just miners, or everyone?

I never bothered being selective - it wastes time you could use for bashing the rocks - just sent everyone up immediately.

Is he the guy who wants to make a game about a Wolf on a wheelchair? That might be the secret project.

Hope LKS2 and this secret game are both for Wii (LKS2 is a sure in obviously).

I'm concerned about MMV's lack of announcing new Wii retail games this year. They've announced only one retail game (Reel Fishing: Angler's Dream) and two WiiWare games (Harvest Moon: My Little Shop, and Reel Fishing Challenege).

Last year they were on a roll. :(

And how about Rune Factory Frontier 2 for Wii, and finally a Luminous Arc and Avalon Code for Wii? If Rune Factory and Valhalla Knights can get Wii entries, why not them?

Dascu

Hero of Legend said:
Is he the guy who wants to make a game about a Wolf on a wheelchair? That might be the secret project.

Hope LKS2 and this secret game are both for Wii (LKS2 is a sure in obviously).

I'm concerned about MMV's lack of announcing new Wii retail games this year. They've announced only one retail game (Reel Fishing: Angler's Dream) and two WiiWare games (Harvest Moon: My Little Shop, and Reel Fishing Challenege).

Last year they were on a roll. :(

And how about Rune Factory Frontier 2 for Wii, and finally a Luminous Arc and Avalon Code for Wii? If Rune Factory and Valhalla Knights can get Wii entries, why not them?
Guess their Wii projects weren't all that profitable for them.

Dascu said:
Guess their Wii projects weren't all that profitable for them.

Outside of Harvest Moon and Reel Fishing, what is?

By the way, Reel Fishing Challenge continues to sit within like the top 5 or so WiiWare games worldwide (possibly), it's been #1 in the US for quite a few weeks stright, now it's #2 behind Contra Rebirth I think.

Whatever the precise standings, it's definitely very successful, I think it's because of the impulse price of 500 points.

Edit: Yeah, #2 behind Contra Rebirth the past week:

http://wiiware.nintendolife.com/news/2009/09/top_20_wiiware_games_in_usa_30th_sept

Top Bottom