• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

AniHawk

What I mean by "better than Klonoa" is that it outsold its first two months of sales, not the LTD. That'll happen sometime next month.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Oh God, this game is rocking my balls off. I never thought I'd say it, but my frothing demand for Pikmin 3 has been momentarily subsided - and I haven't even beaten the third king yet.

LKS = goty?

AniHawk said:
What I mean by "better than Klonoa" is that it outsold its first two months of sales, not the LTD. That'll happen sometime next month.
Hrm. How are Klonoa sales looking LTD (besides anemic)? I tried to pimp it out to everyone I could think of, but apparently the grassroots movement hasn't taken off. :p

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Hrm. How are Klonoa sales looking LTD (besides anemic)? I tried to pimp it out to everyone I could think of, but apparently the grassroots movement hasn't taken off. :p
My hopes for a third Klonoa game have been crushed and stomped into the ground. The GBA games don't count either :(

AniHawk

GrotesqueBeauty said:

Pretty not good. If sales don't beat the PSX game's LTD by the end of the year (and without dropping the price below $30), I think all hope is lost.

GhaleonQ

Pseudo_Sam said:
LKS = goty?

Unfortunately, game websites are too busy complaining about how there are no games in the summer or the end of 2009 to play them. I'm not Edge's biggest fan, but the main guy's been doing Twitter and (I think) blog posts on his playthrough, and he's loving it.

AniHawk said:
Pretty not good. If sales don't beat the PSX game's LTD by the end of the year (and without dropping the price below $30), I think all hope is lost.

And the heartbreaking thing is that the will is there, despite the sales failures. He WANTS to rerelease the handheld games, do a sequel, make it vibrant again. *sigh* Is this my cue to start whinging about this generation again?

botticus

So last night I ran into a quest (occuring between 10pm and 3am) that caused me to restart just due to the obscene resulting cost at the end, even though I only lost one person. I think I will tackle that one more intelligently next time.

Took out another guardian and did a bunch of other quests for cash, then a couple other guardians popped up on my list. I think I will try to get enough money for a miner before I go after those and the next king.

birdchili

what's the best strategy for quests? should you just leave them in your inbox and take them one at a time from easiest to hardest?

i failed one due to time limit the other day. i had originally just been accepting everything, but i can't keep pace with the time limits the way they are and i'm disinclined to do a lot of days over just so i can keep up.

botticus

birdchili said:
what's the best strategy for quests? should you just leave them in your inbox and take them one at a time from easiest to hardest?

i failed one due to time limit the other day. i had originally just been accepting everything, but i can't keep pace with the time limits the way they are and i'm disinclined to do a lot of days over just so i can keep up.
I originally did one at a time or so, but lately I've just been maxing out (5 acceptances) and taking care of them over a day or two. If I find the area is inaccessible or I miss it, ah well, plenty of other quests to do.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
birdchili said:

Depends, I think, on how strong your army is and who the enemies are. I always had a particular problem with King Game Club quests, so I would do those on their own. Same if it's an enemy I haven't seen before.

Otherwise I'd take on two or three at a time - any more and I'd start losing people. Except God Quests and Guardians.

mbnmac

Neo Member
The quests also come back later if you miss em.

I tend to take them by area and slowly expand, up to day 30-something and only just killed shiskeboboob (whatever, it's like 4am) as I've been expanding the town by killing guardians etc.

My wife however has managed about 3 times the play time and is pretty much on the last king

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sorry I can't read through the thread to get the answer- anyone have their Wii unable to read the game disc? First time this has happened to me..

Luigison

schuelma said:
Sorry I can't read through the thread to get the answer- anyone have their Wii unable to read the game disc? First time this has happened to me..
Yes. Several people. Here's one:
Jonny The Pie King said:
Well this sucks.

I get the game from Amazong today, complete with little stress-ball guy, I put it in my Wii, it whirrs up...

*click click click*

It tries again

*click click click*

disc read error. Goddamnit. First problem my launch Wii has ever given me. So, I search this forum, it happened to one other person. Then I just google it, several people have had this problem. Now, I've checked several other games to make sure they work (SSBB, since it had issues before, Mario Kart, Madworld, Wii Fit, Dokapon Kingdom), and they did. LKS is the ONLY game giving me issues, and the disc is brand new. Heck, I even turned it on its side to see if that would help, no dice. Unplugged, reset, everything. Heck, I even updated the firmware from 4.0 to whatever it is now.

This really sucks, I was totally looking forward to playing it. I guess I'll email Xseed or something.
I LOVE Amazon, but seems some people may have got defective copies from them. Did yours come from Amazon? If so, they have excellent return policies.

Also, there is a search this thread function you might find useful. That's what I did to find the above post. I'm not condescending. Just wanted to let you know.

EzLink

Banned
I've been suspiciously busy the past couple weeks and haven't played this at all. Hopefully I can get back into it soon

Oxx

Man, those sales are pretty heart-breaking.

I assumed that it wouldn't even come close to Marvelous' expectations, but 12k is a real shame.

How much of the July NPD was it available for?

botticus

Oxx said:
Man, those sales are pretty heart-breaking.

I assumed that it wouldn't even come close to Marvelous' expectations, but 12k is a real shame.

How much of the July NPD was it available for?
Almost two weeks. Enough to do whatever it was going to do.

I think I'll go tackle some more guardians today, and maybe see about a third king battle. Is there really any progression as far as boss/area difficulty goes once you get out into the world? Or is it just wherever you feel like going?

Jokes N Riddles

Neo Member
Just picked this game up today, and I'm rather stoaked about it too.

I knew some of the minor buzz that was generating around this title, and I took the risk of grabbing this game as opposed to plenty of other titles I wanted to purchase, and complete, for my back catalog.

Boy, what find! The only reason I'm bothering to write about it right now is because my wife has muscled her way onto the console and won't give up this game up!

Seriously, sad to hear about the sales so far. It never ceases to amaze me when gamers complain about lack of variety, or unique experiences, "these days" in games and over look terrific games such as this.

*Sigh* I hope this isn't going to be this gens Psychonauts.

botticus

I don't think I enjoyed Shishkebaboo as much as others did. Took me about a half dozen retries before I think the game felt sorry for me and decided that I was close enough and ended it. :lol

My new castle is awfully purdy, almost too big!

My plan now is to tackle either a guardian or a king per (real) day so I don't get too wrapped up in money gathering.

apujanata

AniHawk said:
12,000 actually.

I am saddened with the 12K sales #. Hope it will have legs. I have played this game, but only for the first 3 days. I bought this for my son, but after seeing him play it, I am interested to play it myself.

I believe that this game is cute and fun, but if they can tone down the cute factor, without necessarily changing the "pastel" color and "joking" text, it will appeal to wider audience. The only reason I didn't play it at first, is because I think it is "too cute", almost like Zack & Wiki, and this "too cute" is coming from some one who LOVE strategy games, like Fire Emblem, Shining series etc.

In short, King's Story is a better title (IMO) than Little King's Story. Changing the cute little king into normal King should increase it's appeal.

Damn those sales suck. This is my goty so far and the fact it's doing so bad doesn't give me much hope for a sequel. I really hope word of mouth carries this one. I've convinced a few people to pick this game up and plan to once they finish their current games.

apujanata said:
I am saddened with the 12K sales #. Hope it will have legs. I have played this game, but only for the first 3 days. I bought this for my son, but after seeing him play it, I am interested to play it myself.

I believe that this game is cute and fun, but if they can tone down the cute factor, without necessarily changing the "pastel" color and "joking" text, it will appeal to wider audience. The only reason I didn't play it at first, is because I think it is "too cute", almost like Zack & Wiki, and this "too cute" is coming from some one who LOVE strategy games, like Fire Emblem, Shining series etc.

In short, King's Story is a better title (IMO) than Little King's Story. Changing the cute little king into normal King should increase it's appeal.

While I'm not disagreeing that it would have a wider appeal, it destroys some of the themes the game brought up. Don't want to spoil anything but having it be from a child's perspective is pretty important.

botticus

Tackled the dragon for the first time, he's a cute little guy.

I finally satiated my OCD and got the chance to free the Shadow Forest so my first continent is entirely mine now.

TunaLover

Maybe I should order this from Target instead Amazon? $US5 more. Anyway LKS is up again on Amazon, it was under revision, maybe they found the defective copies?

EDIT: I just found it´s single layer game, so reported problems with BGM hiccups must be due the game being extremely reading sensitive. My lens is new, I should be fine =P (hope)

schuelma

Disc started working, and I'm loving the game.

The only negative is my wife is also loving the game and won't let me play.

schuelma

TunaLover said:
You got another copy? Or it was lens problem?

No, same copy, and I tried it the next day and haven't had a single problem again.

Haunted

schuelma said:
Disc started working, and I'm loving the game.

The only negative is my wife is also loving the game and won't let me play.
"The only thing I dislike about Little King's Story is that it's too good."

I finally beat
fat cake dude
, it was pretty awesome, but I felt like maybe I was in over my head. It took a bunch of retries, I think a big part was I didn't bail when I got the strategy for him. I should have brought more
miners
but I only had one with me when I went in. Having to
break the rock AND knock him into the fork
was killing me :lol Even having beaten him I don't feel like I picked up a great strategy for it.

I still have to go into the Party Lands and beat up on party-dude but I have to say, even after taking many days away from the game, getting back into it was really easy and hooked me again immediately.

Jokes N Riddles

Neo Member
timetokill said:
I finally beat
fat cake dude
, it was pretty awesome, but I felt like maybe I was in over my head. It took a bunch of retries, I think a big part was I didn't bail when I got the strategy for him. I should have brought more
miners
but I only had one with me when I went in. Having to
break the rock AND knock him into the fork
was killing me :lol Even having beaten him I don't feel like I picked up a great strategy for it.

I still have to go into the Party Lands and beat up on party-dude but I have to say, even after taking many days away from the game, getting back into it was really easy and hooked me again immediately.

haha, seriously, when my wife called me in to help her beat this guy this game went way up in my book. It's seriously good, but I got a huge laugh out of this boss. I've still got to get to him with my guy and work him over again, but this was one of the most original boss battles I've come across in a long while.

This game is so ACE!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just beat Duvroc, not too bad, just needed to know when to back off and when to attack. His after fight sequence is fucking hilarious.

Game is quite good so far, a couple of pathing issues, but pretty much everything else is solid.

I love the chef and his only ability to cook chickens. :lol

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
GRAH! I need to pay attention to my thread more often. since getting back to school, i haven't really played that much since i got back from school i REALLY have to finish it now that i've been trumpeting it around everywhere. i just don't want to have to changed difficulty...

BorkBork

Wow, there needs to be a save/adjustment option in the end sequence. The
rat fight
is soooo long and tedious when your party makeup isn't optimal. I'm giving up for the night but I don't want to go through all that cutscenes again, so I have to leave my Wii on. Annoying.

Dascu

BorkBork said:
Wow, there needs to be a save/adjustment option in the end sequence. The
rat fight
is soooo long and tedious when your party makeup isn't optimal. I'm giving up for the night but I don't want to go through all that cutscenes again, so I have to leave my Wii on. Annoying.
It really is annoying.
I set the game to Easy for that last part because I didn't want to go through all of it and risk dying again. :/

GhaleonQ

For what it's worth, the Japanese website is pretty cool and well-done, and they have advertising running on Nico Nico Douga. I'm not sure how prevalent the marketing is in Japan, though.

BorkBork

Beat it, my thoughts:

Pros:

Boss fights are stunningly original and challenging.
The classic soundtrack is out of this world.
Pacing and progression are done well.
Some of the dark humour is great.

Cons:

WAY too many completely situational classes. I wish they could have had fewer but more meaningful classes. I got that some enemies were more susceptible to certain classes, but it wasn't enough for me to change the composition of my group to any significant degree.

A lot of gameplay elements were extraneous and could have been fleshed out more. I found the town building aspect to be a little bit neglected. I never had to train half my population because all I needed were my thirty people royal guard. The marriage and kids aspect were useless. Buildings for increasing population was unnecessary imo, and I didn't have to worry about citizen happiness at all throughout my game. I expected this to be a big part of the game, and I didn't get it.

Pathing issues were still a bit of a problem even after getting formations.

As I said previously, the ending sequence was quite annoying with no saving. I know what they're trying to go for, but it all seemed a bit rushed (there's barely two minutes of ending after a 20 plus hour game). I don't think it's asking too much to have a bit more closure.

All in all, a good and original game, but had its share of flaws. 7.5/10.

GhaleonQ

Yeah, it's been posted elsewhere here. You should get it after a sequence that begins with "Camels In Love."

It's actually a commercial song. http://kz.kurablo.moo.jp (Scroll to the bottom.) Kazuyuki Kurashima, main artist for Vanpool (it's VERY reminiscent of Endonesia and Coloball 2002, not the Tingle games), did the video for them because they liked Moon: Remix RPG Adventure, so I guess they let him put it in the game. http://novelsounds.blog109.fc2.com/?no=94 http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B000VOBUDG/

I don't know much Japanese, but the band is "Swimmingpoo1," the album's "Half Asleep," and the song's "Bitter Sweet" (with a space).

botticus

I am on my way to the Worrywort Kingdom (had a bit of a break from the game), but as I'm progressing, can anyone tell me if the area in the middle of the Sunshine Plains is accessible at any particular point, or am I just missing the entrance? One of the treasure hunts is there, and I have yet to find a way to that level.

Magypsy23

Banned
It's releasing in Japan today, isn't it? Good thing there's no preorder gift or I'd be tempted to buy my third copy right now.
I'll be doing that next month. :p

CO_Andy

botticus said:
I am on my way to the Worrywort Kingdom (had a bit of a break from the game), but as I'm progressing, can anyone tell me if the area in the middle of the Sunshine Plains is accessible at any particular point, or am I just missing the entrance?
Part of the Sunshine Plains is only accessible through the Jolly Kingdom.

botticus

CO_Andy said:
Part of the Sunshine Plains is only accessible through the Jolly Kingdom.
Okay, I had sort of pondered that as I looked at the very tiny pathways visible on the map. I guess that will be my next destination before Worrywort. Thanks!

Top Bottom