• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Seeing the carpenters do their morning stretches and warm-ups together as if it were an aerobic class always makes me smile :lol

Haunted

Tempy said:
There is no real need for more than 1 carpenter, buff lumberjack and farmer in your party right?
I guess. It just takes a bit more patience with only one carpenter building stuff or one farmer digging.

I usually take two each to help things flow along nicely, though.

speedpop said:
Seeing the carpenters do their morning stretches and warm-ups together as if it were an aerobic class always makes me smile :lol
Those little touches are awesome. And all over the place.

I didn't really spent the time to look for it before, but when someone here mentioned that all the people were supposed to have their own AI life and cycle of routines, I began noticing the little things. And it's true. Pretty much all of my 100+ residents really do have their own routines, based on the job they have, the places where they spent their time, whether they're in love or not. It's impressive stuff and the amount of work and love that went into this game is really apparent.

AAA material.

Melhisedek said:
How do you name your guys?
Since when does the king name his vassals? That's a job for each individual parent.
read: you can't.

Haunted said:
I guess. It just takes a bit more patience with only one carpenter building stuff or one farmer digging.

I usually take two each to help things flow along nicely, though.
Except of soldiers the others can help each other when the first bunch of work is done.
100+ residents
W0000T

Haunted

Caesar III said:
Except of soldiers the others can help each other when the first bunch of work is done.

W0000T
Very true! But the others are so slooow.

I was confused when I accidentally send some soldiers to help a carpenter build some stairs at first, then I laughed when I realised what they were doing.

Haunted said:
I was confused when I accidentally send some soldiers to help a carpenter build some stairs at first, then I laughed when I realised what they were doing.
yeah! :lol I like when they jump into a digging hole just to jump out again completely confused :D

kizmah

speedpop said:

It's these little touches that make this game such a joy to play. It's amazing to wander out from my castle and hear the greetings of my guard as they are going about their routines.

Soule

Yeah Yeah the carpenters were the first I noticed when it came to the AI, brought a smile to my face :)

So I just defeated the the first boss King and lost all my party except my 1 favourite guy... such a dilemma do I go back for the team or move on with my main man, either way was an epic close battle lol.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
And just think Soule.. it's only the beginning!

As I've played more I've become to appreciate the wholeness that is Little King's Story. Whilst it unashamedly borrows from many establishments, there is still that originality spark that made the original Harvest Moon so wonderful for us nostalgic folks, or Pikmin seem like a godsend.. or even the Zelda bosses represent the greatest challenges to our gaming culture.

For those that love comparisons just for the sake of it; Little King's Story = Pikmin + Legend of Zelda + Harvest Moon.

Soule

Ahh so true, I was a bit worried when I started I'd be uninterested and HM, Zelda came to mind when I was deciding whether to buy it (bought on a whim) despite loving them in the past I was getting a bit bored of them but LKS has drawn me in, so happy I bit the bullet :D

Haunted

Cuddly Dungeon Keeper + Sim City + Pikmin is what I say.

I think the way it's not easily categorised and how people scramble to come up with different games to describe the experience says something for the game. :D Even if you were to break its parts down minutely, anyone who played this more than a couple hours realises that this is definitely more than just the sum of its parts.

This game has heart.

Oxx

It might just be that I am not particularly good at it, but LKS has the most horrifically misjudged boss difficulty in any game I have played.

If Marvelous intended the game to appeal to a younger audience they have fucked-up royally.

I might be underestimating the skill of the younger generation, but if they can beat them I'll pay them to come and finish them for me.

Haunted

Oxx said:
It might just be that I am not particularly good at it, but LKS has the most horrifically misjudged boss difficulty in any game I have played.

If Marvelous intended the game to appeal to a younger audience they have fucked-up royally.

I might be underestimating the skill of the younger generation, but if they can beat them I'll pay them to come and finish them for me.
Some of them are quite hard, yeah. Which one is giving you trouble?

Oxx

Sheeshakaboo (sp?) and Davroc.

I haven't been this angry at a game since Metroid Prime 2's Spider Guardian.

Haunted

Oxx said:

Oh well, not much you can do about Shishkebap,
it's a straightforward game of pinball. Just put your people with the most HP (any and all HP-boosting equipment helps of course) regardless of job in front and switch them with fresh guys when their health runs low. I think I lost a couple people in that fight.

Davruk is
the drunk king, right? He didn't give me too much trouble, assembling a team mostly comprised of soldiers and just completely rushing his stack of beer crates to keep him off-balance did the trick. Maybe there's a strength upgrade you can buy from Hauser before? I think I bought all I could before tackling him.

Sorry I can't help much, those two are not the most strategic battles. :/

Luckily, there's a continue option after losing a proper boss battle. Being defeated by one of the optional bosses and being thrown back to the main menu is far more painful, imo. >_<

edit: I hope I haven't confused any of the bosses, I didn't pay enough attention to their names.

Oxx

It's hard to explain. I know what to do but I just keep getting killed.

I even appreciated the ingenuity of the Sheesh boss fight...the first 15 times I tried it.

Haunted

Oxx said:
It's hard to explain. I know what to do but I just keep getting killed.

I even appreciated the ingenuity of the Sheesh boss fight...the first 15 times I tried it.
:lol

Sorry. :( Maybe do some other tasks first and come back later with a fresh attempt or something. There are times when everything conspires against you.

On an unrelated note, anyone know how Ma
gicland works? I've built it, but no one's there and I can't send any guys into the cardboard(?) houses. Someone said to go there at midnight but even then, there's no one around. I mean, from Liam's job description they're not useful anyway, but I at least want to see one of them.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
AMERICANS! GOOD NEWS! preorder bonus!

2q16ghu.jpg

RESERVE YOUR COPY OF LITTLE KING’S STORY NOW! Pre-Order Little King’s Story at participating retailers* and receive a free Onii squishable soft figurine. Cute, cuddly and insanely homicidal, the Onii is the most numerous of the UMA that infest the kingdoms in Little King’s Story.

at Gamestop

Majora

About twenty hours in and this is the best game I've played so far this year, and that includes anything on the HD consoles like Resi 5, KZ2 etc. Shame it's going to sell like shit.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Majora said:
About twenty hours in and this is the best game I've played so far this year, and that includes anything on the HD consoles like Resi 5, KZ2 etc. Shame it's going to sell like shit.
actually, it hit 12 on the Wii UK charts on one day of sales. plus, this is going to sell over a long period. serious legs and all that...

gamingeek

So control wise, I dont think this is as good as Pikmin. You know in that game you had a whistle and you would hold down a button and the circle would enlarge?

You know you can dismiss them and they will wait around.

Here if you dismiss them accidently they rush off.

So I get the podium and I usually have a team of knights, with perhaps one farmer for digging and a carpenter for building.

So say I have a team of people a mix. And I want to walk up to a dude and recruit him. How can you choose who to replace on your team? I put the one I want to get rid of at the front or back and it seems to randomly send someone off from the team.

So at the podium I think okay I will get a farmer first, just one. Okay. Then I summon the battle team and I just want to take them with me and my farmer. But as soon as the battle team assembles, the farmer buggers off.

And on stairs if you have a team of 12 or more, unless you perfectly walk up the stairs, some guys get caught in the corners behind.

gamingeek

Oh and the news told me late in the day that two people were in love. Next morning I nabbed them both, took them to the church and nothing happened. The hearts weren't there either. Whats up with that? Marriages have to be same day?

nli10

Hmm....

I PREFER PIKMIN'S CONTROLS. :(

The little blighters get thrown like Pikmin do so why can;t you 'borrow' the camera centering and other lovely little touches that Nintendo put in there so that it was fluid. Why no pointer use????

Can I select which person to throw next? Feel like I should be able to but haven't figured that bit out.

Barely scratched the surface (I know which guardian I'm supposed to go for next - preorder bonus guy with a hammer) but I had all carpenters and farmers so ran away.

Seems a bit linear up to this point - am I right in thinking it branches out more later as I get abilities etc?

It's essentially age of empires style RTS but on a console and using Pikmin's team mechanics. Fun, but I don't think I've got to the main game yet.

eXistor

gamingeek said:
Oh and the news told me late in the day that two people were in love. Next morning I nabbed them both, took them to the church and nothing happened. The hearts weren't there either. Whats up with that? Marriages have to be same day?
I found that some of my guys fall in love with a different woman if I take other woman instead of the one he originally fell in love with in my party. Cheatin' bastards.

I have to say the boss-battles are some of the most original I have ever seen, that said, they generally take a very long time to defeat and it's very frustrating if you take the wrong group of people (a bigger group isn't always better either) and die half-way through a bossbattle. You have to reset the game and rethink your entire strategy and try again. I know they give you hints before a boss-battle, but right now I'm fighting a boss (or rather, I'm on my way to him) and I did what the memo told me to and it was way off, so now I have to reset everything. Kind of a pain, but just a minor annoyance I guess.

nli10 said:
Seems a bit linear up to this point - am I right in thinking it branches out more later as I get abilities etc?

Yeah don't be too quick to judge, the game will keep throwing new features at you for quite a while, you're basically still doing the tutorial.

gamingeek said:
Oh yeah, how do formations work? I read about it in the manual but nothing I do changes formations. Is it a power up?
Yeah, the only formation you start with is the Attack-formation. You won't be able to change them until you obtain new ones later-on.

Oxx said:

I too had been a victim of Shishkababoo for the longest time.

Duvroc:
I'd say do this one first. He should be pretty easy with the right party. Fill the majority of your guard with soldiers and two or three blue knights. The blue ones will jump right onto him, attacking both him directly AND preventing him from attacking you back. Don't bother with the other monsters, just focus your entry force on the king.

Shishkababoo:
I had a lot of trouble with this guy at first but that was because I was trying to play an elaborate game of pinball/arkanoid. That clearly was a terribly ineffective way to deal with him, since you move slowly and trying to aim him towards places rarely works. Instead move left and right, mashing the A button to fire your guard forward to build a human-wall. That's honestly all you need to do in order to win. Turn off your brain and keep strafing and firing.

Every time he bounces against something, he'll lose weight. Every time he loses weight, the more easily and higher you can bounce him back up the map. The ultimate goal of this battle is to impale his behind onto the hidden fork at the top-centre of the map. Hit the obstructing item a few times to open it up. If you send him through the left-tunnel, he'll lose 100kg, but as you might have noticed, if you let him reach the bottom, he'll gain another 100. If he falls into the top left hole in the map, he'll turn to stone. This will make him temporarily heavier, but if you hit him with a miner, he'll turn back instantly.

The reason why I suggested doing this one last is because after beating Duvroc, Howzer gave me the opportunity to upgrade my guard-size. Having a larger party definitely seemed to make this battle a lot smoother.

Majora

nli10 said:
Hmm....

Can I select which person to throw next? Feel like I should be able to but haven't figured that bit out.

Pressing down on the D-Pad cycles through the different classes in your group

Yeah the beginning is quite linear but it branches way out once you defeat the first King.

I have to say the boss-battles are some of the most original I have ever seen, that said, they generally take a very long time to defeat and it's very frustrating if you take the wrong group of people (a bigger group isn't always better either) and die half-way through a bossbattle. You have to reset the game and rethink your entire strategy and try again. I know they give you hints before a boss-battle, but right now I'm fighting a boss (or rather, I'm on my way to him) and I did what the memo told me to and it was way off, so now I have to reset everything. Kind of a pain, but just a minor annoyance I guess.

Yeah the boss fights are really tricky. I found the god memo before King Duvroc really overcomplicated things, I had much more success doing things a simpler way. Generally I don't think you can go too far wrong going into a boss fight with a mixture of hunters and grunts. When exploring I try to take a good mixture of people but when I get to where a boss will be I warp back to the castle and get rid of all the farmers, carpenters, miners etc

Oh yeah, how do formations work? I read about it in the manual but nothing I do changes formations. Is it a power up?

You have to buy them. You change them on the fly by pressing up on the D-Pad. For some of the bossses I'd say they're essential.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
doomed1 said:
sorry, NORTH Americans. Yes, Canada is included. I think...
Just phoned EBGames and they said they don't know about the promotion. Will have to call back next week to confirm that, they say. Hope we get the doll figurine in Canada :(

GhaleonQ

NetMapel said:
Just phoned EBGames and they said they don't know about the promotion. Will have to call back next week to confirm that, they say. Hope we get the doll figurine in Canada :(

That's not a good sign, then. I remember the specific bonus itself (without a picture) being announced in autumn of last year. It was in Gamestop's computers at the time, too.

Oxx

Duvroc is done.

More by luck than judgment.

Were all those pot-tossers, club-wielding, pogo-bouncing Onii necessary? FFS.

Thank fuck for that beach. My entire grunt soldier corp died in that battle.

nli10

eXistor said:
Yeah don't be too quick to judge, the game will keep throwing new features at you for quite a while, you're basically still doing the tutorial.

Majora said:
Pressing down on the D-Pad cycles through the different classes in your group

Yeah the beginning is quite linear but it branches way out once you defeat the first King.

Cool - Pikmin Lite for the tutorial levels, and proper new game after that. :D

Will pop back when I get chance to get a bit further. Thanks for the tips!

Soule

Y'know I really appreciate the tutorials they're short and not frustrating I wasn't going to use them but I was a bit confused about something and thought meh I need to know this stuff and it wasn't painful as I thought it'd be. The only bad point of the game I'm feeling right now is the stairs and having one or two vassals get left behind but that's a non-issue for me I just throw them through first now and run through on my own.

Time to own some Duvroc.

Oxx

So basically I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by completing a few of the quests in order to open up more of the map and gain more power-ups?

A valuable lesson has been learned.

samratty

Just beat the Onii king, this game is great. Surprised there aren't more people talking about it. So far there's been no grinding at all, which is a big plus for me as I can't stand grinding in these kinds of games. You really feel bad if you let one of your guys die. Even if they end up washing up on the beach, you feel like you've let them down.

My only gripe is the controls, particularly the lack of IR, which would pretty much stop the targetting problems the game has from time to time.

Really can't wait for this to come out stateside...seems to be doing pretty well everything right from what I'm reading. Only a matter of time before an Amazon order, surely.

batbeg

Okay, this game is fucking awesome. I have been playing it for 10 hours today, and loving every minute of it - which is probably more than 10 hours, as I'd reset every time someone didn't show up on the beach for the first 5 hours :lol The only other game I've played like that this generation was The Last Remnant, and I know I'll stay that way with LKS through to the end.

The dialogue and localization are absolutely perfect, with witty, funny lines that can be both quirky and extremely touching at times. Some of my favorite lines have been to do with grunts willing to give the last of the HP for me, or one saying something like imperial domination for the win, or another being that they don't mind the killing, only the dying. Yikes. They also sometimes have some comments about wanting to find love, and I really enjoy the seemingly random aspect of talking about cleaning. Yes, there are a couple of grammatical or spelling mistakes here and there, but I don't mind a great deal, this script is superb.

I don't even mind that most of the dialogue is mostly generic, interchangable stuff, or that the characters rarely seem to acknowledge their relationships with one another - the one exception to this being when I saw a bunch of them wearing black clothes and funny hats,. Confused, thinking they'd found some new job automatically or something, I talked to them and they said "Mike... by the time I saw his body at the beach it was already too late." TEARS! The point is, this is touching stuff. Sometimes I have found it confusing when people I know I already married get married again, but eh, whatever.

The animations feel just as lovingly crafted too - they are so alive and joyous it seems! Even Howzer, despite all his suspicious behavior, has crept into my good books since I saw him playing with his cow Pancho in front of the castle, and get knocked down by the nocturnal cow :lol

The gameplay is actually really keeping me hooked, of course. While there's a few niggles here and there about some things like pathfinding (which can be terrible even with the Evade formation) or trying to sort out my team by health, it's been very rewarding in a way I haven't felt since I was addicted to the original Harvest Moon or the GCN Animal Crossing. It definitely has more variety than what those gave me, but I feel I'm conceptually doing the same thing and loving it every minute. It helps there's so much freedom in how to approach everything, from the exploration to the fights to the development...

<3 this game! Obviously I need not mention the awesome music, everyone else has already been praising it for me :) When I read there were gibberish voices, I just thought, "Oh GOD, that's going to ruin the game for me, isn't it?" Well... no. Really charming, fantastic gibberish-speak, miles better than atrocities like Okami or Banjo I think. Not perfect, but very suitable and cute. I did love the intro video, though, and am glad it had a child's voice, as it felt very appropriate for the theme of innocence contrasting violence and government in the game.

Anyway... yeah :D

Has anyone tried having their people charge into the ocean, by the way? It's so whacky and random :lol

I'm not sure who's saying it, but a message comes up that'll say something, such as "I love you!", "I hate you!", "Jerkwad!", or "Moron!". Such a funny, cute game. Even the default name choices gave me a good laugh at the start of the game.

Haunted

gamingeek said:
So control wise, I dont think this is as good as Pikmin. You know in that game you had a whistle and you would hold down a button and the circle would enlarge?

You know you can dismiss them and they will wait around.

Here if you dismiss them accidently they rush off.

So I get the podium and I usually have a team of knights, with perhaps one farmer for digging and a carpenter for building.

So say I have a team of people a mix. And I want to walk up to a dude and recruit him. How can you choose who to replace on your team? I put the one I want to get rid of at the front or back and it seems to randomly send someone off from the team.

So at the podium I think okay I will get a farmer first, just one. Okay. Then I summon the battle team and I just want to take them with me and my farmer. But as soon as the battle team assembles, the farmer buggers off.

And on stairs if you have a team of 12 or more, unless you perfectly walk up the stairs, some guys get caught in the corners behind.
You'll get an improved version of the podium very soon. Like, right after the first or second boss, I think. It lets you choose your squad from a list, lets you order all your vassals by Job, HP etc. Very handy. Actually, I was just about to bitch and write a post along your lines when the option to buy the new podium popped up. :p

gamingeek said:
Yes, they'll become available to buy (under the 'special' tab, I think) later in the game. I think I got the second podium in the first two hours or so, but the formations not until 5-7 hours in.

And I think there's one formation they threw in there just to get you over stairs safely. :lol Absolutely necessary to use that one when your squad gets a bit larger,
say, 30+.

Oxx said:
So basically I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by completing a few of the quests in order to open up more of the map and gain more power-ups?

A valuable lesson has been learned.
Oh, absolutely. I make it a point to do most of the side stuff before tackling the "proper" bosses, which isn't hard to do when everything's so much fun. :D

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I find the gibberish voices highly amusing. Especially when I hear real words in various languages.

Top Bottom