• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Oxx said:
Mask-wearing quest-related question:
How the hell do you dodge the flamin' boomerang?

I used the Guard Formation. This makes it easier to dodge it.

Citizen K

So I built this beautification factory or whatever and decided to send my troops into it as I thought they'd just pay tax. They came out looking like flowery idiots! Does anyone know if i can get them to go back to their normal look?

Also, how do i destroy big rocks? Cant seem to find the right way in sunflower plains to get to the boss.

nli10

Citizen K said:
So I built this beautification factory or whatever and decided to send my troops into it as I thought they'd just pay tax. They came out looking like flowery idiots! Does anyone know if i can get them to go back to their normal look?

Also, how do i destroy big rocks? Cant seem to find the right way in sunflower plains to get to the boss.

I just got Miners by doing the Guardian in the stone circle. Haven't built them yet, but I'm guessing its them or an upgrade thereof.

Not sure on the Hippies, never tried throwing people into the flower factory!

Citizen K said:
Hmm, know where this one is? Havent unlocked anything to do with miners yet....

I was also stuck in that area not progressing, but you have to do the Knight gaurdian next to the stone temples and then you can also do the Owl guardian in the forest, which unlocks 2 different districts.
They will both be in Howsers suggested missions, if they're not there just rest for a day or 2 or do some of the missions in the Onii grounds until a couple of days pass.

Oxx

Haunted said:
I love how the king grows a small beard if you stay out of the castle long enough. :lol

I was pretty shocked when I noticed he had grey hair when I sat him back on the throne after a grueling campaign.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Haunted said:
I love how the king grows a small beard if you stay out of the castle long enough. :lol

Saw this, but I associated it with my king having only one health left, since my vassals also grow old when they have 1 health left.

Soule

Oxx said:
I was pretty shocked when I noticed he had grey hair when I sat him back on the throne after a grueling campaign.

Lol yeah i was kinda worried about my king when i noticed that, some really nice subtle touches in the game so far. I dont like seeing my fav civillians growing old :(

Lots of hours poured into this game.

One main complaint: the controls.

This is essentialy a Gamecube game mapped onto the wii controller, while the recent Pikmin port showed how awesomely the pointer tech can be applied to strategy games.
Major opportunity lost imo, and the battles could be so much more enjoyable if it was done this way.

Also, do your minions seem to get stuck on bridges and ladders some times? I throw them, Pikmin style, and rush so they don't remain stuck on lower levels.

eXistor

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Lots of hours poured into this game.

One main complaint: the controls.
The controls could definitely use some work, troops get stuck behind stuff all the time and selecting the guys you want is a pain too, sometimes you scroll too fast and they end up at the back of the line again. I wish the troops you send out would go to the frontline instead of to the back of the line, that would save me a lot of grief.

Citizen K

Anyone remember how to get to the boss in sunflower plains? I've got
miners, so ive destroyed a couple of giant rocks
but cant seem to go the right way to go, it all seems to lead to dead ends...

eXistor

Citizen K said:
Anyone remember how to get to the boss in sunflower plains? I've got
miners, so ive destroyed a couple of giant rocks
but cant seem to go the right way to go, it all seems to lead to dead ends...
Did you build the bridge yet? If not do that and then watch out for
a scarecrow that summons like 20 melons to kick your ass. Just take him down quick and you'll be fine
After that it's pretty straightforward.

Citizen K

eXistor said:
Did you build the bridge yet? If not do that and then watch out for
a scarecrow that summons like 20 melons to kick your ass. Just take him down quick and you'll be fine
After that it's pretty straightforward.

Actually I did build the bridge but looking at the map it looked like that was going towards the next section so i didnt go that way! Doh.

Thanks.

Citizen K

Dunno whether I should build the
merchant shop thing, it costs a mega 19999,000 or so, do these merchants get you a lot more treasure?

GC|Simon

Question to all people who defeated the first three kings:

I went through the bones tunnel. From where I'm able to go to three kingdoms:

1) I went down to the labyrinth, but there was no way through. A hedge looked quiet suspicious, but there was no way through it.

2) After that I went to the TV kingdom. I got to the boss fight, but what the fuck? Where is the boss? I died after a while :/

eXistor

Citizen K said:
merchant shop thing, it costs a mega 19999,000 or so, do these merchants get you a lot more treasure?
I waited a long time to finally get them. There is one boss where having one of them is very handy and you can finally get
the huge wallets you've probably seen around, which give you some great cash

eXistor

GC|Simon said:

1) I went down to the labyrinth, but there was no way through. A hedge looked quiet suspicious, but there was no way through it.

2) After that I went to the TV kingdom. I got to the boss fight, but what the fuck? Where is the boss? I died after a while :/

1)
Not sure what to tell you, I was able to find my way through there without much problems, there are some semi-obscured places you can go through the hedge, you probably just missed one.

2)
Did you bring a merchant? He will find holes for you to dig which correspond to countries and then just look at the scrolling text and pick the right country. If chosen correctly, the boss will pop up and you can do some damage. Just repeat a few times and he's toast. Beware of false directions though, especially the very last one, don't be too quick to dig.

/edit: excuse the dp.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Interview
…we asked Kurashima-san to come out to drink and I remember getting excited and saying, “Lets make a game to rival Animal March! But lets make it about a castle made of vegetables!” That’s about as much as I remember though because I was arse-over-tits by that time. Kurashima-san’s been my drinking buddy for a long time. How ever you look at it, this is just a group of friends, really. Oh yeah, now I remember… we were going to have a vegetable castle, with Princess Tomato and Prince Cabbage, and Baron Potato and Sir Turnip! Everyone was going to have veggies for heads! How about that? - Yoshiro Kimura, Director of Little King’s Story

chooch81

GC|Simon said:

1)
There are walls that dance a little, a wiggle here and there. You have to hit them. In case you don't know you can use the 'c' button on the nunchuck to make the king hit things, does very little damage but you do need to use it about ten steps after the maze....

2) has already been answered!

Haunted

Since we're doing questions: Has someone figured out how to
train magicians? My Magicland is deserted and I can't send any vassals into the cardboard(?) buildings. :(

Citizen K said:
They'll give you back the investment and then some over the course of the game, yes. It's definitely a long-term investment, though.

I think you need at least one for a certain boss battle, too.

eXistor

Haunted said:
Since we're doing questions: Has someone figured out how to
train magicians? My Magicland is deserted and I can't send any vassals into the cardboard(?) buildings. :(

A one point in the game (for me it was when my entire Kingdom was developed, almost right at the end of the game) a Carefree adult will ask for an audition with you, then he'll mention something strange happening at midnight at MagicLand. Obviously go there and he'll appear. Talk to him to recruit him.

I just finished the game (29 hours). All in all just a fantastic game, very well thought through, funny as hell and very original. I think I will regard it as a classic in a few years.

Oh and just a little tip for the final battle:

bring one farmer and the rest attack dudes, other jobs not required (I had all Hardened grunts). If you bring the wrong team (like I did the first time) and want to reset the game, be prepared to do a long sequence over again. Very annoying

Majora

yeah I've been playing for about 34 hours and done 5 kingdoms out of 7. And then there's still all the princess quests and stuff.

eXistor

Well, I still have to do a few sidequests, but most of it is done. Most of my books are just about full, except for the tunes, I can't really find those that much so far.

Mdk7 said:
Bought it, i'll start it tomorrow...
I wonder why so few people are playing it, it's a little sad.
When it hits the US I think this thread 'll become quite a bit larger...I hope.

Oxx

I think it would require someone like Nintendo giving the game the Layton treatment in order to make the game a massive success. Then again, NOE can't even sell Pikmin as a big franchise.

Oh FFS. Trust this game to turn a quiz into a drawn-out festival of frustration.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Defeated the first three kings, on a roll now, geebus, long game is long, tons to collect.

Shishkebaboob really is easy indeed when I just keep sending out 23 people out into the playing field. And I do breathe more easily now that I know everybody who falls during a boss battle will wash ashore.

Oxx said:
I really have no idea what I am supposed to be doing during the TV Dinnah boss battle.
I'm watching my brother play that very battle right this moment.

Since you'll be digging a lot, recruit enough farmers and at least one merchant. Now the gimmick of this particular battle is to actually find TV Dinnah on the map, as you might have noticed. Basic geographical knowledge is absolutely vital.

At the start of each phase, he'll show some flags at the bottom of the screen which eliminates most of the possibilities where he could be hiding. If you recognise the countries, send your merchants to the appropriate dots on the world map. All the countries he had hinted at earlier will have flagpoles sticking out of them. Do not send your farmers to do their thing at the first flag you find though. What you need to do is wait for the text at the bottom to reveal which of the flagged countries he is actually in. Be warned that after a few phases he'll try to deceive you by just listing trivia of unrelated countries. Once you're sure of which country he's talking about, let your farmers do their thing. If you've dug into the correct country, you'll be face to face with the king. Chose of the wrong country or took too long to answer, you'll get a punishment 'program.'

Since the phase you can attack him in is rather short, don't waste time by letting weak units touch him. Send hardened grunts, preferably armed to the teeth with power-up items, to bash his skull in. He should go down in only a few turns.

Now I've been told you don't need a merchant if you're playing on the lowest difficulty setting, since every single one of the classes will be able to find the holes. However I'm afraid I can't confirm that myself.

*edit*
Or if you'd like a more concise version, check out post #272 by eXistor on this very page.

Haunted

eXistor said:
A one point in the game (for me it was when my entire Kingdom was developed, almost right at the end of the game) a Carefree adult will ask for an audition with you, then he'll mention something strange happening at midnight at MagicLand. Obviously go there and he'll appear. Talk to him to recruit him.

I just finished the game (29 hours). All in all just a fantastic game, very well thought through, funny as hell and very original. I think I will regard it as a classic in a few years.
Excellent so I just need some patience. Thanks for that. :)

Now to find out how to get
knights. Aside from magicians
the only class Liam mentions that I haven't seen yet.

Oxx

Thanks.

I stumbled upon the boss in a pretty unprepared fashion (no merchant, just one farmer) so I knew I was toast.

Seems like all the boss battles are conceptually interesting but unnecessarily fiddly when it comes to the execution.

Mdk7 said:
Bought it, i'll start it tomorrow...
I wonder why so few people are playing it, it's a little sad.
My Hut order hasn't arrived yet.

Hearing all this talk about around 30+ hours playtime - it'll take me weeks or probably months to finish this one :lol .

Oxx

It's pretty easy to lose track of how long you have been playing. There's always somewhere to explore, something to build, someone to fight.

Citizen K

Man I suck. I still cant find the 2nd boss! I'm in sunflower plains but cant find the boss. There is a section I can see but cant find a way in as its all fenced off. Someone mentioned building a bridge earlier, I built it but it and went across but it goes to the next section I think, melon patch or something. Help!

chooch81

The mountain boss. Is there a trick to the tunnel about half way up?

I'm about ready to chuck the remote out the window.

Haunted

Citizen K said:
Man I suck. I still cant find the 2nd boss! I'm in sunflower plains but cant find the boss. There is a section I can see but cant find a way in as its all fenced off. Someone mentioned building a bridge earlier, I built it but it and went across but it goes to the next section I think, melon patch or something. Help!
Is that a contract side quest or do you mean a proper 'king' boss?

Because to get to the next king you need to cross over and beyond the bridge and the melon patch. You'll find a path leading to the fenced off area in the sunflower plains later on.
Approaching it from the north after you've defeated a certain king.

eXistor

Citizen K said:
This is from memory so it's probably a bit off. There might be some boulders near the arrow I think. There are a bunch of pots near the north too if I remember correctly.

2cgkbv8.jpg

Majora

I'm confused. I've made all the donations to the school and was told that
there would be a doctor in Glamour Town, I think. I can't find a doctor anywhere.

Top Bottom