• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Online Franchise Interest Thread

Rorschach

Jtrizzy said:
That game was the ultimate for hard core Madden fans. You could control every option change whatever, which is not the case now.

As far as I know custom hot routes still haven't made the jump to current gen.
Buh?

augmental

My thoughts after my first 10-6 win with the Cardinals...

+ Good Things
------------------

1) The speed of the game (I feel like I have more control over what is going on which I didn't feel as much in prior next gen Maddens)

2) Ballcarriers having forward momentum and carrying tacklers

3) Being able to knock balls down at the line of scrimmage is AWESOME!!!! I was able to get in there with Campbell and Dansby and knock down 2 balls

4) CPU doesn't take all day to hike the ball and acts more like a real team (plays called, number of audibles called, etc.)

5) When quarterback is close to being sacked and the defender has his hands on them the ball doesn't magically just take off. I like the physics on the ball too. Sometimes it lofts up a bit for a possible interception and other times straight into the ground. Nice. I remember this being a big point with the new animation system.

- Negative Things
--------------------

1) Weird janky animations on the crowd and some in-game (the Quarterback talking on the phone and people's hands moving all weird and unnaturally

2) No pass rush (this is being addressed apparently)

3) Had a missed field goal that counted (I dunno it bounced off the cross bar and went out, is that a good field goal? No way. I checked with replay several times to be sure) Hopefully this is fixed

4) Couldn't intercept with my DBs when it was right in their hands (This happens in real life though so no biggie)

I like it better than '09 for sure. Feels like a different breed of football game this year. Will purchase.

Jtrizzy said:
where you can edit the hot routes outside of the game? as in assign certain hot routes to different buttons?

what are you talking about?

full offensive hot routes have been in the game since madden '08 360 (if we're talking about the same thing). in other words you can hit Y, select the button of the receiver you want to hot route, and then do ANY hot route you want (in, out, slant, fade, block, fly, button, curl, hook, etc)

i might be misunderstanding what you're talking about though, so explain what you mean!

when you say "edit the hot routes outside of the game" it almost makes it sound like you're talking about create a play

FrenchMovieTheme said:
it almost makes it sound like you're talking about create a play

Bingo!

This was in Madden 09 too also though. The catch was that you had to create plays in Head Coach 09 and import them over. It was useless though because you couldn't use the plays in competitive online games. Understandably so, because it's crazy to think what cheesers would come up with...

Jtrizzy

Guys they are called custom hot routes. It's not create a play. Think of more like selecting your custom audibles before you play the game.

example: put a corner, or an in, or streak route on "left" or "right" or "up" or "down" on the d pad as opposed to a slant route which the game defaults to.

Jtrizzy said:
Guys they are called custom hot routes. It's not create a play. Think of more like selecting your custom audibles before you play the game.

example: put a corner, or an in, or streak route on "left" or "right" or "up" or "down" on the d pad as opposed to a slant route which the game defaults to.

i don't understand why you would need CUSTOM HOT ROUTES when they are all at your finger tips on every play.

example:

i press Y, i press X for isaac bruce, i push the left stick in the up-left position. he is now going to do an inside slant. i push the up-right position, he is now going to do a slant towards the sideline, etc.

why do you need it set to a custom button when it's already told how to do each hot route?

Jtrizzy

well for example you can't flip the corner route turning it into a post. If you are far enough from the marker you can do a smart route that extends it similarly, so you can only use it on some plays.

Instead of having square ins/outs on the left and right d pad buttons, I would prefer the post/corner combo to each side. I have to be about 7-8 yards to the marker to change the slant into something similar to the post/corner, and I'd like to be able to do that at any down and distance.

Jtrizzy said:
well for example you can't flip the corner route turning it into a post. If you are far enough from the marker you can do a smart route that extends it similarly, so you can only use it on some plays.

Instead of having square ins on the left and right d pad buttons, I would prefer the post/corner combo to each side. I have to be about 7-8 yards to the marker to change the slant into something similar to the post/corner, and I'd like to be able to do that at any down and distance.

1. are you talking about an outside post towards the sideline? yes you can do it. and you can do a smart route from ANY distance. i had a 3rd and 30 against the CPU once and i was about to "smart route" a 5 yard out to the first down marker

2. the post/corner combo is in there to either side. instead of pushing Right on the D-pad, you push Up-right or up-left on the left stick. if you need this route extended to the first down marker it is easy to do. and you can do this on ANY down and ANY distance

this is what i recall from madden 08 and 09

Jtrizzy

FrenchMovieTheme said:
1. are you talking about an outside post towards the sideline? yes you can do it. and you can do a smart route from ANY distance. i had a 3rd and 30 against the CPU once and i was about to "smart route" a 5 yard out to the first down marker

2. the post/corner combo is in there to either side. instead of pushing Right on the D-pad, you push Up-right or up-left on the left stick. if you need this route extended to the first down marker it is easy to do. and you can do this on ANY down and ANY distance

this is what i recall from madden 08 and 09

1. yes the post toward the side line. I get that you can do a smart route from anywhere, it's the short yardage situations that cause the problem when I'm trying to call a deep post/corner route.

2. No, left/right on the left stick changes it to a square in/out, just like the d-pad.

Here is a scenario where I run into a problem:

2nd and 3-6 yards, I'm in 4wd spread and I want to change my slot receivers so the left one is doing a post route, and the slot receiver to the right is going on a corner route.

While I can do a slant route, then extend it, it's not the same as the regular post/corner route, and it varies based on my distance to the 1st down marker.

and by the way, the smart routes aren't even working for slant routes in the demos.

Jtrizzy

I said the smart routes aren't working for slant routes. At the very least the aren't extending as far as the did in a first and ten situation compared to last year.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
ruh roh
Madden NFL 10: Online Franchise and Elite Status
by Nate Ahearn
◄ Previous 1 2

First, let's go with the feature that's likely totally new to most reading this. It's called Elite Status and it's sure to start a tizzy on the forums once people read the words "Pay DLC" attached to it. But never fear, it's totally optional and should only be considered as a viable purchase by the truly hardcore Madden fans out there. It costs five bucks (400 points on XBL) and it unlocks what is essentially a VIP online world.

This exclusive club of sorts gets you into the Elite online community and you'll get your own private lobbies and private leaderboards. Beyond that, EA Sports is planning on allowing for some sort of avenue for these hardcore fans to easily communicate with the Madden development team. Beyond that, Elite players will also be the only ones in the Madden online world that will be able to play a ranked match on the All-Madden difficulty setting. The standard ranked match difficulty setting of All-Pro will still be available, but these hardcore fans can take the game to the next level. As an added bonus, the players who pay for the DLC will have their online name colored in gold so everyone in the lobby will know when an elitist enters the room.

Jtrizzy said:
I said the smart routes aren't working for slant routes. At the very least the aren't extending as far as the did in a first and ten situation compared to last year.

Are you meaning that slant routes aren't extending out further before the receiver makes his slant cut? If so, that's not really a slant route. Slant routes are meant to be cut inside right after the ball is hiked.

Rorschach

Oh, I see...I haven't tried it. Why don't you just call plays that have the routes already? -_- There are plenty of plays in the books that have posts for any given receiver.

Looks like balls still go through DBs too:

2u92wr6.gif

[edit]
storybook77 said:
Are you meaning that slant routes aren't extending out further before the receiver makes his slant cut? If so, that's not really a slant route. Slant routes are meant to be cut inside right after the ball is hiked.
He wants to make skinny posts for his receivers instead of slants.

Jtrizzy

sounds like a bunch of shit no one needs. If it's not tied to the online franchise I don't care.

I keep losing the fumble qte..:lol such a horrible idea.

Jtrizzy

storybook77 said:
Ahh ok...is that not an option on the hot routes?

No, and there used to an option where you could customize which routes you wanted, and you could choose any route from the entire playbook, use it as is, or flip it.

So in essence you are losing the ability to hot route the proper post/corner combo. You can smart route it, but then the angle of the route is effected by your distance to the first down marker.

It's probably not a big deal to most people, and I can still do my strategies, just not as well as I could on the PS2. To me, the square in/out route is not needed as a hot route. The slant route serves the same general purpose, and the post/corner routes are far more dangerous and harder to defend.

welp played my first game and here is what i saw/think:

positives:

+ inaccurate throws are nice
+ running game is much better than last year
+ new animations are good i guess
+ better pocket formation

+ defense is more realistic. cards were playing man to man and my slot receiver had the CB beat. i threw it to him but there was a cardinal nearby covering my TE who was finishing his route, but the cards guy stayed with him on the route until it was too late to react to my other guy. the pass was caught as it should be!

+ to the guy who mentioned it earlier, i had a play at the goalline with limus sweed where they conferenced and ruled it NO touchdown. i watched the replay and it looked awfully close. looked like they spotted it where his knee went down and not if the ball was over the plane prior! but at least we know they can say no TD

+ no rocket catches that i saw

+ not only do i love the SPEED of the game, i love the speed differences. steve breaston was a real monster out there on the quick outs and the deep posts. my nickle CB just couldn't keep up with him in a foot race. exactly what i want.

+ conversely, breaston was demolished over the middle by a couple steelers LB's and dropped the ball.

negatives:

- the damn over the shoulder catch animation. i like it, but i saw it probably 8-12 times and in situations where it wasn't needed. out route with ward which he should have just caught in the breadbasket turns into an over the shoulder catch (even though he's moving sideways) and into the warp/tackle animation of the CB who knocks the ball away

- a bit of qb cheese! i scrambled outside of the pocket with rapistburger and was about to get sacked with my back to the line of scrimage but i throw to hines about 10 yards away and somehow i make the throw for a completion. two things, first off this was an absolute bullcrap completion and should have been a sack and/or fumble, but in looking at the replay the completion shouldn't have happened anyways but the CB got tangled up with the ref :/ i hope this isn't a common occurance. i like the realism but im going to be fucking pissed if i get fucked on a play like that in a crucial moment because my CB can't avoid the damn ref

- RB blocking leaves a lot to be desired. on one of my TD passes, i had a RB in to block and the cards MLB was coming free up the middle. the RB is looking RIGHT AT HIM as he's approaching, but my rb suddenly shifts over to the right to help on the DE coming off a block. i like the help approach but this made no sense because he was literally a foot from being able to block the MLB who was closer to the qb

- suction blocking. on one play i had heath miller block the DE, then he slid off him and sucked in the SS who was waiting a few yards away. the SS would have made the tackle on the toss too!

- as someone said earlier, it seemed like the cards had just the right amount of protection to stop my blitzing most of the time. i suppose they could've just "guessed right", cause i did have 4 sacks (1 manual, 1 as a result of me speed rushing outside and pushing warner back into hampton, and two on overloads to one side), and i did have a good number of hits on the qb, but it also seemed like when i REALLY blitzed them they had all-in protection.

- double teams on fitzgerald were fucking worthless. i had my cb bumping him and then fucking polamalu just sits back in the secondary waiting by the sideline. well guess what it was a slant dipshit, so now not only is my cb out of position (fitzgerald justifiably got off the bump easily), but my double team help is in even WORSE position because he did nothing to start with. this could just be fitz being a beast but troy just stood there

overall it was a good flow to the game. love the speed, love the ratings differences. the game needs some work in the animation dept (not happening this year) and other things, but overall it looks to be the best madden of next gen and FINALLY approaching what we had with madden 06 xbox in terms of control and sim-ness!

Jtrizzy said:
No, and there used to an option where you could customize which routes you wanted, and you could choose any route from the entire playbook, use it as is, or flip it.

So in essence you are losing the ability to hot route the proper post/corner combo. You can smart route it, but then the angle of the route is effected by your distance to the first down marker.

It's probably not a big deal to most people, and I can still do my strategies, just not as well as I could on the PS2. To me, the square in/out route is not needed as a hot route. The slant route serves the same general purpose, and the post/corner routes are far more dangerous and harder to defend.

i see what you're saying now. never even knew that was in last gen :lol

and the square in/out IS needed and serves a different purpose than the slant. with the square in or out you are selling the deep ball while you are going up the field, and then finding an open gap against a back peddling CB on the inside or outside.

with a slant thats it, you've committed to the route from the get-go unless you're doing a slant and go

Jtrizzy

OK, you are definitely correct that square routes are good and do serve a purpose that cannot necessarily be fufilled by a slant. However, I want the post/corner over the squares all day and ten times on Sunday.

Rorschach

fucking polamalu just sits back in the secondary waiting by the sideline.
He was being a dick to me too... he kept just standing there for no reason.

2nw379y.gif

And no, that's not me controlling him.

Big HBs are gonna be trouble. It's almost impossible to bring Wells down 1 on 1.

2r453dk.gif

:lol Dragged like 10 yards (after a hurdle!) and I keep doing it, too. I dragged someone on my shoulders for 15 yards before.

Sorry for the bad pics. Using shitty cell cam!

maddens are usually a speed backs dream. michael bennett should be in the fucking madden hall of fame for how good he was in the game compared to the real michael bennett. the list goes on over the years.

i think (HOPE!) EA has finally made it viable to use big backs. we've heard the promises before, and the jury is out until we play the final game, but it's lookin good so far.

Rorschach

Big backs have always been viable. I had slow ass LaMont Jordan and Tyrone Wheatley before that. I was using Bush at the end of last year. :p

Of course, McFadden owned everything in sight, but still... :D

Rorschach said:
Big backs have always been viable. I had slow ass LaMont Jordan and Tyrone Wheatley before that. I was using Bush at the end of last year. :p

Of course, McFadden owned everything in sight, but still... :D

viable is the wrong word (frank gore was great and he's not a speed back). i guess what i mean is a 70 rated rb with a 97 speed was always more dangerous than a 92 rb with 85 speed

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
viable is the wrong word (frank gore was great and he's not a speed back). i guess what i mean is a 70 rated rb with a 97 speed was always more dangerous than a 92 rb with 85 speed
I don't know that I'd go that far, but I'll grant you that speed backs were favored over the years, but that was mostly because reversals, sweeps, and tosses were money. I believe they fixed that last year. The only area where they were better was in the passing game (like how DM used Bennett), but I guess that's to be expected when he's lined up opposite of an LB.

SMOKE

Banned
FMT hit the nail on the head and that suction blocking cost me stop behind the 1st down marker and instead I get scored on:lol

But I hope IAN is right about everything being better in the final build.

we are brothers now DM! no qb, good rb, overrated TE.... mmmm. the one difference is i have a bombshell named nedney!

played another game of the demo and won in double OT in the last seconds.... 6-3 wtf :lol

Rorschach

Jtrizzy said:
So is there a PS3 league here? I moved apartments last year when it was on PS3.
Not so far, but I've been seeing a bit of interest. Not sure if it's enough for a league, but people have been asking.

Shawnwhann said:
Rors, what software are you using to make those quick and dirty gifs?
ImageReady, but you won't find it anymore since it was discontinued in favor of FireWorks. Most people on GAF use ULEAD.

Photoshop can make gifs, but you can't edit pre-existing gifs and you are required to use Quicktime for importing video.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
we are brothers now DM! no qb, good rb, overrated TE.... mmmm. the one difference is i have a bombshell named nedney!

played another game of the demo and won in double OT in the last seconds.... 6-3 wtf :lol
What difficulty? And your TE is nowhere near as overrated as his TE. No way Kellen's CIT should be so high. >:|

+Getting used to the speed, still too slow imo but not that horrible.
+Between play cutscenes are a nice addition.
+WR's dropping passes when you lay a good hit on them.
+Man coverage is nice and DB's get a good jam on the WR's.
+Vibration when defenders are near is cool.

-FB blocking still leaves something to be desired, I've had the FB turn around in the middle of the hole on me.
-Weird glitches where a fumble bounced up and warped into Hines Ward's hands for the recovery. Another when I had a corner back run the opposite way on a stretch play to his side of the field. Few weird animations that didn't look right.
-Skill players dropping passes when they aren't hit and only 1 defender is in the area.
-WR's trying to catch over the shoulder in the wrong situations.
-WTF they lesson the amount of memory allocated for replays?? They only show like the last 5 seconds of the play now!

SMOKE

Banned
Has anyone else noticed in the demo that these dudes HURDLE a hell of a lot. It seems like everytime I go for the hit stick, the ball carrier is jumping over me like he's in the olympic's:lol

All the TE's are guilty of this so far in the demo including the RB's.

Drek

I'd be game for a PS3 league as well. Was planning on holding off on picking it up, but it sounds like a nice step up from the previous games, I did enjoy '09, and Goozex is saving me buckets of money on older game acquisitions.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
SMOKE said:
Has anyone else noticed in the demo that these dudes HURDLE a hell of a lot. It seems like everytime I go for the hit stick, the ball carrier is jumping over me like he's in the olympic's:lol

All the TE's are guilty of this so far in the demo including the RB's.

I noticed that this morning when I got a game in before work. I hope it gets less frequent for the final release.

MWS Natural said:
]
-WTF they lesson the amount of memory allocated for replays?? They only show like the last 5 seconds of the play now!

Holy shit I was wondering about that too, I had a sweet TD return where I juked and fluked, shaked and baked, razzled and dazzled at the 20 before taking off and I didn't get to show that part!

I like the slower game speed though, I feel like it mimics human motion more. Or at least in my eyes.

LiveWire

Didn't get a chance to play the demo last night, fucking download kept stopping and starting. What is it about XBL demo downloads? Why can it not download without interruption, especially if I decide to play a game?

Very happy to read impressions that the running game is better. Portis should be a beast this season.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Top Bottom