• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

LukeSmith

Dare to dream, but I hope the Madden team is savvy with these scouting reports, and track stats on how often a player has been scouted within an online league - it'd be great to see a stat that shows how many times LJ and Rors are scouted vs. someone like Bob

Birdman02

LukeSmith said:
Dare to dream, but I hope the Madden team is savvy with these scouting reports, and track stats on how often a player has been scouted within an online league - it'd be great to see a stat that shows how many times LJ and Rors are scouted vs. someone like Bob

Any idea when you're getting off work tonight, so we can try to get our game in?

LukeSmith

Birdman02 said:
Any idea when you're getting off work tonight, so we can try to get our game in?

Yeah, like 11 pacific. So how about tomorrow night around 6 pacific - I'll take my dinner break and come home and play and then go back to work?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
ahhhh, BooBooKiddyFuck

GG's R

not sure how many times we restarted. The Next to last turned into a fluke TD by me, forcing about 5 fumbles, only to get sacked repeatedly. Probably up over 10 sacks, before the game mercifully ended that mess at halftime.

Restart, and the fumbles go away, only to lead to "oh shit, I moved the guy out of the waylook a TD pass to Murphy" or "oh shit, AJ just caught a 50 yarder inside of 3 DB's"

Just blah.

Good News: I held McFadden to limited yards
Bad News: Rorschach killed me with some 4 wide sets. Murderous.

I think I waited too long on working drag routes into the game :/

Rorschach

GG.

Sorry about the long pause. Call I had to take and didn't have time to wade through the cumbersome/laggy XBL menus.

It wasn't letting me manual pick things either. My guy would just stand there. :|

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
ill lack that passion if it means i dont have to shell out money for new controllers every month or two like some of you.

What you call passion, i call anger management issues

Smokey

CB3 said:
ill lack that passion if it means i dont have to shell out money for new controllers every month or two like some of you.

What you call passion, i call anger management issues

Money ain't a thang son.

Besides getting a new controller is a great feeling.

In other news, RDR was the 2nd most played game on XBL the past week :O. It knocked off Halo 3.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
LukeSmith said:

That is like a Fantasy Island type dream. Though I am sure that could happen, I think this is mainly for playing randoms. It would be cool to be able to see some information before you start the game, maybe even in the lobbies. You can know to avoid a guy that uses 98% pass plays or 85% the exact same money play over and over. But that doesn't appear to be the case either. Once you get into that game with the guy using a money play that he found off of maddenwars or whatever and has practiced to perfection, it is too late. But of course the Madden team would tell you that money plays stopped existing 3 years ago.

CB3 said:
the online franchise games arent included in the scouting report.

Really? Ouch. That doesn't really make much sense. They had the online franchises as a top bullet point in the promotion last year, but they don't support it with the new features this year? Wonder if they will even update the iPhone app.

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
which means we'll never see it if last years "hey we're working on it!" online franchise items are any indication

Sadly, they got away with that because he never said it was being worked on, he just said it was POSSIBLE to update Online Franchise because they were server based. Anything is Possible©! Always read the small print!

But he said this IS being worked on as we speak.

Birdman02

FrenchMovieTheme said:
birdmaaaaannnn! we're opponents next week. let me know when you think you might be able to play. fellow niners fans.... forced to do battle :(

I can play pretty much any night after 9 est, so you can decide which one is game night!! I'll do my best to make sure the Niners stay injury free...except for maybe Jack English. Alex Smith needs deserves another chance!!

Rorschach

DMczaf said:
Ian said Online Scouting is being worked on for Online Franchise, Rors can't avoid it!
It doesn't make sense in franchise if they have stats, but I guess they'll have bare bone stuff. Against an online opponent, it makes sense and they already have scouting reports for each player. Until recently, they even had career reports (as in your tendencies throughout different Madden games).

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Edit: Shit I just ranted for a little below, I don't know how much of it actually makes sense. Don't judge me judgers!

Eh, I doubt this provides anything meaningful. Sure you'll get basic information but nothing useful. If they offer play percentages broken down per specific situation then that would be decent. I've found that some guys go to the same play in "need" situations on O or D, basically their own money plays (highest percentage). Most often they show up at the end of a half or game when needing a score, crucial third downs, crucial fourth downs (I've seen a large number of guys run a third down play then come back and run the same play on fourth). On D, once the opposing O crosses midfield, defensive playcalling changes pretty much across the board. Most often guys switch up and go with a lot more zone calls, once the O hits the redzone I've seen guys (most guys) go to cover 2 only. As a result of the move to cover 2 by everyone I started man-blitzing - I've never been afraid of being sacked and I've seen a lot of guys just scramble with the QB to the end zone
(Romo, McNabb)
because the cushion is there.

If I'm at 3rd and long on my end of the field versus 3rd and long within FG range but outside of the red zone, my playcall is different - but EAs system will not account for this type of stuff.

So at each games conclusion I'll just roll through the plays, most important to me are down, distance, field position, and formation.

There are a number of metrics that I look at to gauge a defense more than an offense, I think the most important one is 3rd down % against (which sucks 'cause I have to look at every game since the script doesn't have it). This season I've been terrible at it but in prior seasons I was near the top of the league if not at the top. 3rd down % is the number one points predictor after leveling out TOs. Bengals, for example, have a -3 TO ratio but lead the league in 3rd down %, 31.4 PPG. (Yes I know it's a lot of AI) FDs are not counted due to different offensive styles. I love to grind it out, but most here usually run big play Os.

Actually my dream is to create something like a sabremetrics system but for football analysis (safremetrics?), but there are so many more variables in football (no shit, 12 more guys on the field to start). A few years back I started looking at OL/DL interaction since that is usually the only true 1 to 1 matchup in the game. Once engaged, it's one guy blocking another, that's it. Everything else is heavily related to schemes. (I don't like any of what the football outsiders do)

Rorschach

Wellington said:
If I'm at 3rd and long on my end of the field versus 3rd and long within FG range but outside of the red zone, my playcall is different - but EAs system will not account for this type of stuff.
They said it will account for that...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Rorschach said:
They said it will account for that...
Yeah? Ok then, the press release made it sound like they were independent of each other.

Edit:

"Online scouting tracks all of your play-calling and what you like to do in different situations," explains producer Donny Moore. "We're tracking every online game that you play: online ranked, unranked, and 'Madden Ultimate Team' head-to-head."

And according to Moore, there are ten different situations that the game is tracking: First down, second down and long, second down and medium, second down and short, third down and long, third down and medium, third down and short, fourth down, goal line, and red zone.

"On defense, the first thing you're going to unlock is the run/pass percentage of your opponent. The next thing you're going to unlock is the field location," says Moore. "Where on the field does your opponent target in this given situation. If it's a run, it's broken down into three zones: right, middle, and left. If it's a pass, it's broken down into more zones: right, middle, and left, and then also short, medium, and deep."

The final thing gamers unlock on defense is the player-specific target. Who does your opponent like to throw to or hand the ball off to in these certain situations.

A little ambiguous. That's fine tho it will make my life easier, I won't be hanging around after games for an hour plus anymore.

BigAT

I'd like to see a couple of scanned pages from the notebook.

14jnryd.jpg

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
BigAT said:
I'd like to see a couple of scanned pages from the notebook.

14jnryd.jpg
No problem, that'll be 25 EA coins. :D

Actually I did my best sight unseen work with your stats. Tho you've beaten me 2 of 3 times, the 2 losses are by a combined 7 points, and my win was in OT.

I was going to let everyone see what I had on them but then I decided to play another season. No, I don't have anything for Livewire and CB since we play so often it goes out the window.

LukeSmith

Wellington said:
No problem, that'll be 25 EA coins. :D

Actually I did my best sight unseen work with your stats. Tho you've beaten me 2 of 3 times, the 2 losses are by a combined 7 points, and my win was in OT.

I was going to let everyone see what I had on them but then I decided to play another season. No, I don't have anything for Livewire and CB since we play so often it goes out the window.

Luke: passes to the flats, rarely blitzes, soft zones, runs up score

Birdman02 said:
I can play pretty much any night after 9 est, so you can decide which one is game night!! I'll do my best to make sure the Niners stay injury free...except for maybe Jack English. Alex Smith needs deserves another chance!!

i can play tonight if you're around! after you play luke that is

LukeSmith

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i can play tonight if you're around! after you play luke that is

I won't be out of here in time. You can kick me and play him twice if you want, FMT. Once as Peypey and once as Jenglish

Birdman02

LukeSmith said:
I won't be out of here in time. You can kick me and play him twice if you want, FMT. Once as Peypey and once as Jenglish

I can probably play both games tonight. I'll just need to run the ball more, so the games go by a little faster.

Birdman02 said:
I can probably play both games tonight. I'll just need to run the ball more, so the games go by a little faster.

hope you dont mind bird, but we're playing back to back!

i'll fill in for the colts and just use their default playbooks so as not to give away my niners strategies!

Birdman02

DCX said:
i can

DCX

I'll sign on in about 10 minutes after I finish getting my son ready for bed.

EDIT: I don't mind playing you twice in a row, but I'd prefer to let DCX fill in for the Colts, so you don't get an early read on my strategies!!

LukeSmith

FrenchMovieTheme said:
hope you dont mind bird, but we're playing back to back!

i'll fill in for the colts and just use their default playbooks so as not to give away my niners strategies!

You're playing Frenchy - he's my regular sub. Sorry DCX, colts D isn't built for 1-5-5

LukeSmith

Birdman02 said:
I'll sign on in about 10 minutes after I finish getting my son ready for bed.

EDIT: I don't mind playing you twice in a row, but I'd prefer to let DCX fill in for the Colts, so you don't get an early read on my strategies!!

Eh, nevermind then, we'll just wait and do it tomorrow night same bat time, same bat channel.

DCX

DCX
LukeSmith said:
You're playing Frenchy - he's my regular sub. Sorry DCX, colts D isn't built for 1-5-5
:lol :lol oh shit guys im going to he gone for certain divisional games..you have to play Rors..my regular sub..gtfo.

DCX

Birdman02

LukeSmith said:
Eh, nevermind then, we'll just wait and do it tomorrow night same bat time, same bat channel.

I can play FMT twice...I don't really care either way. I'd rather get the game(s) done tonight, since I already told the wife I was taking over the TV.

LukeSmith

DCX said:
:lol :lol oh shit guys im going to he gone for certain divisional games..you have to play Rors..my regular sub..gtfo.

DCX

Pheenix is your regular sub. Someone run the regular season winning percentages and we can see who should fill in for me - hint, I bet it's not you.

Top Bottom