• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '15 PS4 League Thread: Wards? Where We're Going We Dont Need....Wards

eznark

Banned
Yeah I am kind of over the north east. Soon as I can figure it out I am taking my talents to Florida or whatever other warm, cheap cost of living, low taxes state.

Just move. The rest will figure itself out.

eznarkswers podcast will be up on patreon shortly

guys lets make it our business to finish out the season tomorrow! or at least advance to the superbowl by tomorrow! we're going to be cutting it close to have the draft on sunday if we stretch it out much longer.... need to allow for some FA time as well.

Why are we trying to rush it so much? CB and I will be playing tonight, but having like one day for FA stuff seems a little rushed...

eznark

Banned
You should probably read this Welli

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/madden/#interactive

For example, the most heavily weighted categories for quarterbacks in “Madden NFL 15” are awareness and throwing power (each contributes about one-fifth of a quarterback’s overall rating), accuracy by zone (short and medium accuracy are both slightly more valuable than deep accuracy), and play-action passing. Together, those categories make up 89 percent of the overall grade for QBs, with the rest of the weight given to throwing on the run, agility, speed and acceleration.

paine-feature-madden-4.png

As Rex Dickson, Madden’s creative director, said: “The way the game works on a high level is that when two players run into each other and are about to do an interaction — let's say it's a ball-carrier and a linebacker — it's going to take several ratings and throw them into a formula and do a dice roll.

“The dice roll is how we get the randomness. So it's basically his break-tackle chance against your tackle chance and then a dice roll on top of that. The ratings mismatch is your modifier on the dice roll. If he's 10 points higher than you for his tackle rating, the dice roll is going to be favored in his favor to get the tackle versus the flip where it'd favor the break-tackle.”

Why are we trying to rush it so much? CB and I will be playing tonight, but having like one day for FA stuff seems a little rushed...

The offseason works like this:

1. Resign your pending FAS
2. FA bidding week 1
3. FA bidding week 2
4. FA bidding week 3
5. The draft

Usually it's a day FOr each of these items to give people time to do the stuff. So that's 4 days before the draft. The draft is Sunday so we need to move it along!

eznark

Banned
Yeah I retweeted so I could read it later.

I'm excited to read it but my enthusiasm is tempered by the fact that it's a discussion relating to a players overall rating and not making them awesome madden players.

Well the awareness factor I found interesting. Get fucked bluemax.

BigAT

Yeah, figuring out how overall rating works seems like one of the least relevant things you could do in trying to determine how ratings affect on-the-field interaction. Especially after seeing how changing schemes makes OVR bounce around almost comically and without meaning. Does the article go into anything else or is it just that?

The problem with trying to figure this all out in the past has been that for every piece of "hard" information out there, there is typically some piece of contradictory information. On top of that, the Madden devs seem to be the least knowledgeable of anyone on the nuts and bolts of what ratings truly do what. Or at the very least they are completely unwilling to offer an in depth look under the hood.

Why does AWR matter at all for QBs, only playing against the AI right?

Is the play action rating how well the QB sells it and fakes out the defenders? Does that actually have a meaningful impact in a human vs human game with the non controlled AI players?

BigAT

hahaha

it's the only stat the confidence system can't ruin

Unaffected by reality as well!

So does the gameplay in Homeworld hold up enough that the remaster is worth checking out as someone that hasn't played it? I was more of a Command & Conquer man when it originally came out.

eznark

Banned
They have shown very, very little gameplay, and when they have it's been super controlled and cut up. I'm waiting to hear user feedback before jumping in.

I dunno how they could have broken it but the whole thing seems fishy to me.

TheCrow

To celebrate the Pure Hold’em announcement, Pure Pool is currently 40% off on PS4 with an additional 10% off for PS Plus subscribers.

We’re very excited to reveal Pure Hold’em to you all and can’t wait to unleash it on the world! The game will be playable for the first time at SXSW in Austin, Texas next month – if you’re lucky enough to be attending, be sure to check it out!

Sanjuro! Its time to join forces again and reclaim our poker domination. This time on PSN!

ihygUZXAByaLn.gif

Greg

new Driveclub packs today!
Downforce and Midnight tours - 22 new events

Ferrari F50, Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Centennial Edition, SRT Viper GTS, Koenigsegg One:1 and Jaguar F-Type R Coupé
kind of sad the One:1 will probably destroy most of my records, but maybe there's still a tradeoff between the acceleration of the Venom
Unaffected by reality as well!
The Madden Way

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Haven't read the article yet but I am just annoyed even looking at the picture. Who the fuck would invest any XP into AWR, or BCV for an RB? AWR for a QB?

It's clear that for those positions it doesn't matter, but there is clear evidence based on observation that AWR is key for defenders in zone coverage as well as for blockers in space. There's very clear evidence that PRC and BSH aren't what they are cracked up to be either.

This is cool to have, though I will continue to test and theorize.

One play last night stood out and I had a huge grin on my face afterwards. I had to dump off on a sideline right to Andre Williams and the dude literally took off right after catching it with break away speed. Scotty even mentioned it.

He is slow, 86 speed and shit ACC. I took the milestone and yearly goals and pumped up the AGI attribute before the game. If you notice guys like McCoy can get caught up behind an OL but are then gone immediately after. That happens with AW and I am fucked. It was very nice to see that work out. It's been fun working with AW who is a very ordinary RB and trying to build Frankenstein.

what are prc and bsh? Interesting tests you've done there welli, I wish more youtube madden folks would test that stuff each season.

You're saying breakaway speed is more important then acceleration? for that initial burst at least?

I always thought awareness meant your HB would pick up blocking better and that on check/screen routes they would do so more quickly

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
what are prc and bsh? Interesting tests you've done there welli, I wish more youtube madden folks would test that stuff each season.

You're saying breakaway speed is more important then acceleration? for that initial burst at least?

I am saying the opposite. My RB was able to dash away from the defender because of higher AGI. He was able to not be stuck in molasses when trying to make the cut.

I would guess it might help with blocking for sure. I wanted if it factors into how well the FB does on lead blocks...

AWR is essential for blockers in space.

You should probably read this Welli

“The dice roll is how we get the randomness. So it's basically his break-tackle chance against your tackle chance and then a dice roll on top of that. The ratings mismatch is your modifier on the dice roll. If he's 10 points higher than you for his tackle rating, the dice roll is going to be favored in his favor to get the tackle versus the flip where it'd favor the break-tackle.”

Fuck that noise.

I mean it explains a lot, but ugh.

Any of you nerds read any current comics?

The last "new" stuff I read was Batman RIP and everything after it until the New 52 came out. Then I stopped because New 52 is dumb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_R.I.P.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Return_of_Bruce_Wayne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_and_Robin_(comic_book)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Incorporated

Basically everything Grant Morrison did on Batman a few years ago.

Fuck that noise.

I mean it explains a lot, but ugh.

I don't know that I have a huge problem with a little bit of randomness. It would kind of suck if you were playing as a bad team and just had no chance to break tackles ever because your ratings were low. These are NFL Pros, that randomness happens sometimes in real games.

EDIT: METAL GEAR SCANLON FILIMG BOIEEEEEE

eznark

Banned
And yet I see you on OOTP all morning long. You ain't fooling anyone!

OOTP takes fucking forever to load, even when on a SSD. I try to never close it.

Funny story though, met with our IT people this week to talk about a server upgrade and he rambled on about a virtual terminal and how it would be better to use that to work from home yada yada yada and he was like "but, it'll be bare bones, we aren't going to load your video games on it or anything"

fucking clown

Top Bottom