• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '15 PS4 League Thread: We Know DOTA

McNei1y

For fuck sakes. Lose to dm by 1 and everything was going my way. Fuck my luck.

I can't close shit out to save my life. I can't comprehend how I blow so many leads. Game was right in my hands. Up comfortably with a 17 point lead and I just give it away. Same with fmt in the playoffs... up more than two scores and it goes away. So infuriating.

Greg

NTsGTZC.jpg

GG, Smokey

LJ11

Thanks LJ, it's nice to hear advice and positive feedback from you, this is what I was hoping for more of last season, tips on what I did wrong and right from my veteran opponents. Last season I straight up virtually never ran at all, mostly because the game kept starting Dwyer and it was driving me nuts. This was the most balanced game I've had in that regard, I'm learning and getting a little better I think but learning slowly. I was pleased that I had no turn overs most of the game and then...doh.

Yeah my defense is overly simplified in that I always control a linemen and go for the sack/causing lots of pressure on my opponent. It also makes it easy for me to stuff runs. I should pay more attention to what plays are working against me and how to address that. So you're saying for those mid range throws you were successful with, I should have used another LB to help Washington across the middle?

For the route on the side, are you speaking of the one that Floyd caught on the right edge? If so, that was the play I screwed myself on, could have ran down the seam and scored a TD. What happened is I saw you loading up on one side, think it was my left, and I tried to shift the line over and then it put me in some other camera mode where I was more zoomed out and had a weird angle and there were some other options. It screwed me up bad, when I caught it with Floyd, I had some weird overly zoomed in diagonal angle of him and couldn't see ahead of me. Your two defenders wiffed and hesitated and took a few moments to tackle me even though I didn't go anywhere so I have no doubt with the normal camera angle, could have ran for massive gains and likely a go ahead TD since Floyd has high speed. Another DOH moment for me. Also, I VERY nearly ran on the play you got the pick six, wish I had haha Right after I pick you you made me pay!

GG, you did a great job abusing coverage across the middle and burning me with 3rd down completions when you needed it. At least I stuffed your run game, moral victory! I look forward to playing you again in the Cardinal's house later on.

With regards to your D, the Cover 4 actually helped you stuff the run. This year it actually behaves the way teams run it in real life. In Cover 4 your safeties are looking for the run first, then to take their pass coverage assignment. Almost like playing a 9 man box. This year you see the safeties crashing hard against the run when you're in 4 deep, Madden got it right.

Problem with 4 Deep is your using 4 guys deep, so you only have 3 defenders underneath if you rush 4. If I send 4 guys on routes underneath, hard to defend with just 3 underneath defenders. Just pick on one guy by send two guys on his side with curls or curl and drag. I remember one play I called where Washington had the TE vertical but left the drag, or he took drag but left the curl or seam TE.

At that point you have to just mix it up. Go to 3 deep instead of 4 and get another defender underneath so you have 4 box defenders against the pass to stop short throws. It's hard stopping the short game as is so you can't get out numbered.

Don't forget to disguise the coverage too. I come out in compressed sets, aka close/bunch sets, because I want my opponent to tip his hand presnap. For example, if I'm in a close/bunch set and you come out with your corners off and both safeties deep it's one of two coverages; it's either cover 4 or cover 2 disguised as cover 4 (the stock play Madden included this year). That's it, it can't be anything else because if my opponent is in man free or some sort of three deep shell he'll tip his hand presnap with the safety in the box. If he tries to disguise with base align, which would move the safeties back into a two deep shell, his corners will also move to the outside and leave the tight/compressed WR with no corner in front of them.

Now do I play with all this shit in mind when I'm actually running a game, rarely. Tonight it was a bit obvious so I was able to take advantage. You just need to play more dude, you'll get the feel of the game, more you play better you get, especially if you play against better competition.

GG Brent. Thanks for staying up to play that. I seriously thought we were going to tie that game like we do in FIFA, apparently Jeff Demps is terrible at everything football related but he's good at running. It felt kind of shitty to see the game end that way but that's two weeks in a row I've gotten miracles at the end!

Now Mike Wallace is gone for 7 weeks and I have to fuckball my way through those games :(

brentech

I fought with myself on whether I should or was allowed to go for that TD instead of the tieing FG. Utimately my memory of storybook turned me into a bitch and I took the Fg and the loss for it. (Most likely, who knows, maybe you stuff the inch run).

Otherwise, wow. What a shit game. We both had good first drives and then proceeded to take dumps all over the field until the last 4 min or whatever.
I took my shots throwing against single man coverage with no nearby safety help a few times and it cost me (not the game, but just picks and maybe some yards). Just so tough to complete, but I'm tired of running inside passing plays all the time.

Ultimately a gg (Well, 7 total min of it) with a load of regrets.
Games definitely last longer than I thought it would take me to. I'm putting a hard cap of 11:30 est start time on my games.

What play did you have on that 3rd down before you audibled? Unless you don't want to tell me lol. Because I had you played for a fullback dive. Then it looked like you might do a pass, cause I think you saw how hard I was pressing the line. but I figured I had to keep an eye on tate. thankfully, my line stopped him...I seriously thought he might have crossed

I sat there on the 4th down screen scared as fuck lol. If you went for it I wouldn't have blamed you, but I was basically prepared to all gap the living shit out of anything....so I guess if you went PA I'd have gotten got.

Decisions, decisions

I fought with myself on whether I should or was allowed to go for that TD instead of the tieing FG. Utimately my memory of storybook turned me into a bitch and I took the Fg and the loss for it. (Most likely, who knows, maybe you stuff the inch run).

Otherwise, wow. What a shit game. We both had good first drives and then proceeded to take dumps all over the field until the last 4 min or whatever.
I took my shots throwing against single man coverage with no nearby safety help a few times and it cost me (not the game, but just picks and maybe some yards). Just so tough to complete, but I'm tired of running inside passing plays all the time.

Ultimately a gg (Well, 7 total min of it) with a load of regrets.

would not be against league rules to have gone for that 4th and 1 on the goalline. you were down 3 and honestly it was the right move to me. lets say he stuffs you. you have 3 timeouts and he's backed up on the 1. odds are you get a 3 and out punt with the ball near or past midfield with about 50 or so seconds to get 20 yards back into FG range.

then again, maybe phee doesn't go 3 and out and runs the clock out. maybe you get the TD and he gets that huge kick return and scores a TD himself anyways. no one can know now!

brentech

It wasn't an audible. Just wanted to make you think by sending my TE who was largely irrelevant to any blocking job unless you blitzed a corner, in which, he likely was still close enough to pick that up.

Then I open the audible menu and just close it so the QB makes a call. Just a fake audible.

The play was a run to the weak side with the FB cutting in front to block that side.

Yeah, it's all what ifs now. In the minute after it happened I sulked but it's over. I know Phee be ripping out headphones during fifa, but I just kind of very quietly wallow in shame. Just like dota.

I think at first I called a very heavy blitz, when I saw the TE in motion I started freaking out and audibled to a man, but I told my guys to still crash middle. At least that's kind of what I remember

GG. Can't win any games when I throw 4 picks myself. The players on your D are ridiculous.

Yeah my defense made some good plays for me. Yours kept you in the game until right at the end when you crashed left and I finally ran right for a huge gain. Our games are always exciting until the very end! I look forward to losing to you in SD in a few weeks.

Jamaal Charles had over 200 yards rushing! Peyton went like 12/16 with 3 TDs but 2 picks and only around 90 yards lol. My receivers need to get some confidence.

Rbk_3

Cowboys can you go during the day Friday at all? I'll be gone all weekend so if not I'll have to go on auto

McNei1y

Aw poop. I'm still bitter about my choke job last night. Picking up an early win against DM would've helped my chances at a late run... I'm not confident in the NFC East this year. Wellie's run offense and defense is too good, CB is looking for revenge after the season sweep, and Crow's short passing game and amazing run offense is not something I want to face 6 times a season!

Oh well! That's why I love this league. This is the only thing that I get real competitive about (unless I go to an actual football game or baseball game).

McNei1y

How many fumbles did you have

Zero. Had one interception and that was on my first play* with 30 seconds left in the game after DM scored a touchdown to go up by 1.

I also had a pick six and a forced fumble (in his territory). Everything was literally going my way... I just couldn't perform against his defense after the first few scores. And then my defense were giving up little dumps to the running back running those triangle routes. The one that really got me was a 30 yard pass to one of his receivers that had a man right on him. Dude must have some good ratings in Catch and CiT. That put him around the redzone with about 1:30. I felt the pressure and I crumbled. Boooooo

Edit: First play of the drive, not first drive.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, usually anytime after 9 works for me, but this is annual dinner time for organizations so I am busy like every Wednesday and Thursday night in November.

DMczaf

Aw poop. I'm still bitter about my choke job last night. Picking up an early win against DM would've helped my chances at a late run... I'm not confident in the NFC East this year. Wellie's run offense and defense is too good, CB is looking for revenge after the season sweep, and Crow's short passing game and amazing run offense is not something I want to face 6 times a season!

Oh well! That's why I love this league. This is the only thing that I get real competitive about (unless I go to an actual football game or baseball game).

Sorry mang. You had my offense completely contained for 3 quarters, I finally started hitting some big plays down the field.

McNei1y

Sorry mang. You had my offense completely contained for 3 quarters, I finally started hitting some big plays down the field.

Hahaha that's why your in the higher tier. I couldn't stop your offense at all in the second half. Passes were hitting all over the place! And then your defensive play calling was on point.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'

I want to be 100% honest with you McNeily, I consider you a friend.

Since being eliminated from the playoffs last season I obsessed about beating you twice this season, ruining the confidence of your players, and making sure you are not even close to a playoff spot. End of last season I poured over your stats to try and figure your tendencies from other games as well as the one we played. I ran through some of the plays you call on O during practices to make sure I could shut them down.

It worked.

We play in week 5 and I am already prepping for it. I want to drop 50 this time and keep you in single digits. I don't even care about my other games. I am ok going 2-14.

Good luck this year.

DMczaf

Hahaha that's why your in the higher tier. I couldn't stop your offense at all in the second half. Passes were hitting all over the place! And then your defensive play calling was on point.

I want to be 100% honest with you McNeily, I consider you a friend.

Since being eliminated from the playoffs last season I obsessed about beating you twice this season, ruining the confidence of your players, and making sure you are not even close to a playoff spot. End of last season I poured over your stats to try and figure your tendencies from other games as well as the one we played. I ran through some of the plays you call on O during practices to make sure I could shut them down.

It worked.

We play in week 5 and I am already prepping for it. I want to drop 50 this time and keep you in single digits. I don't even care about my other games. I am ok going 2-14.

Good luck this year.

TIDJK.gif

Top Bottom