• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '15 PS4 League Thread: We Know DOTA

McNei1y

As you should Wellster. The game that eliminated you from the playoffs was a sim/cpu game that I wasn't around for. I'd be completely upset about that too! If we had played there's no doubt in my mind that the season would have gone differently (I mean beating AZ, DM, and sweeping CB was pretty big by NFC standards). That game definitely assisted in the high level of confidence that my players had.

I'm glad players can be affected by performances this year. The bad thing is that it seems so hard to get out of the pit once you dip below 50.

I need to improve my scouting skills though. I look at everyone's stats as well... but it's not as nearly as effective as it should be!

Sounds like I should do some of the practice simulations as well instead of sitting on my ass when I'm at home! Speaking of practices, fuck you EA and your inability to add a scrimmage option.

Ferny

TIDJK.gif

DM with the classic wrestling memes.

Ever since CB stopped watching wrestling, I needed someone else in here for that.

McNei1y

Maybe I should grab Warlords of Draenor and see my Madden skill increase!

And maybe I should stop taking naps instead of playing WoW.

eznark

Banned
I want to be 100% honest with you McNeily, I consider you a friend.

Since being eliminated from the playoffs last season I obsessed about beating you twice this season, ruining the confidence of your players, and making sure you are not even close to a playoff spot. End of last season I poured over your stats to try and figure your tendencies from other games as well as the one we played. I ran through some of the plays you call on O during practices to make sure I could shut them down.

It worked.

We play in week 5 and I am already prepping for it. I want to drop 50 this time and keep you in single digits. I don't even care about my other games. I am ok going 2-14.

Good luck this year.

So what you are saying is that you are going to run Steven Jackson down the 2 hole all game.

McNei1y

Unless something happened in FIFA 15 that separates from past years, I understand! I've been playing online for four years now!

Since being eliminated from the playoffs last season I obsessed about beating you twice this season, ruining the confidence of your players, and making sure you are not even close to a playoff spot. End of last season I poured over your stats to try and figure your tendencies from other games as well as the one we played. I ran through some of the plays you call on O during practices to make sure I could shut them down.

It worked.

We play in week 5 and I am already prepping for it. I want to drop 50 this time and keep you in single digits. I don't even care about my other games. I am ok going 2-14.

Good luck this year.

Lulz

Mrbob

Xb1 download has always been bugged. Those of us who didn't get the update yet might have to download the entire game again. 45gb down the drain and now 60 more to go.

brentech

Holy shit. That big ass download was corrupt?
While I don't have to worry about that game, I do have a cap so I would never bother downloading. I heard the day 1 patch is still brutally large though.

That's why I only buy retail!

In other news, I resigned some guys (including aldon) and I basically have minimal cap space for next season now :(

I'll probably cut brooks in the offseason

With regards to your D, the Cover 4 actually helped you stuff the run. This year it actually behaves the way teams run it in real life. In Cover 4 your safeties are looking for the run first, then to take their pass coverage assignment. Almost like playing a 9 man box. This year you see the safeties crashing hard against the run when you're in 4 deep, Madden got it right.

Problem with 4 Deep is your using 4 guys deep, so you only have 3 defenders underneath if you rush 4. If I send 4 guys on routes underneath, hard to defend with just 3 underneath defenders. Just pick on one guy by send two guys on his side with curls or curl and drag. I remember one play I called where Washington had the TE vertical but left the drag, or he took drag but left the curl or seam TE.

At that point you have to just mix it up. Go to 3 deep instead of 4 and get another defender underneath so you have 4 box defenders against the pass to stop short throws. It's hard stopping the short game as is so you can't get out numbered.

Don't forget to disguise the coverage too. I come out in compressed sets, aka close/bunch sets, because I want my opponent to tip his hand presnap. For example, if I'm in a close/bunch set and you come out with your corners off and both safeties deep it's one of two coverages; it's either cover 4 or cover 2 disguised as cover 4 (the stock play Madden included this year). That's it, it can't be anything else because if my opponent is in man free or some sort of three deep shell he'll tip his hand presnap with the safety in the box. If he tries to disguise with base align, which would move the safeties back into a two deep shell, his corners will also move to the outside and leave the tight/compressed WR with no corner in front of them.

Now do I play with all this shit in mind when I'm actually running a game, rarely. Tonight it was a bit obvious so I was able to take advantage. You just need to play more dude, you'll get the feel of the game, more you play better you get, especially if you play against better competition.
This is an awesome post, thank you so much, it's very educational. I sadly don't have the level of knowledge guys like you, EZ, and I want to say Future have for play and formation break down. I think I can determine the rudimentary stuff while in-game, the obvious stuff like my opponent stacking the box or loading the back field.

The nice thing is I know at least the vast majority of what exactly is wrong with my game. The problem is what you said at the end, I need to put more time into it. I have other games distracting me, most especially Destiny. I have no doubt I'll get exponentially better when I start playing this more than just my weekly match ups and that will come, eventually. I plan on being in this league for the long haul and it's ok if I have to build my team up with the draft and start working on xp to upgrade players, etc. before I make a hard push at a championship. Right now, despite how inexperienced I am, I've been in nearly every game I've played and had a shot to win them so I feel like I'm still being competitive and not wasting everyone's time, even if I never win ;P I do want to get good though and put time in to this, it'll happen! I need to run through some of the drills again to refresh my memory on basic stuff.

Also, it was fun dueling with our rookie QBs! I think this kid has a future, much better than Stanton!

Somnia

Xb1 download has always been bugged. Those of us who didn't get the update yet might have to download the entire game again. 45gb down the drain and now 60 more to go.

That's not the issue with this buddy, some people are getting it and others aren't. Some of us who haven't got it yet are slowly getting it to update over time, I'm pretty sure the update is going out in waves to pre-orders. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm gathering reading the thread.

edit: Now if you get the stuck at 100% bug then yes that makes sense what you said.

brentech

Found out why I haven't seen the option to use PIP on my DTV....apparently it's not available on the wireless genie minis =(
the main box has to remain where it is due to the cable wiring in the house, so i can't do anything for that.

Oh well.

So I'm using all my prep time on my rookie QB and was super tempted to upgrade his short and medium throws but held off because of Drizzler's comment that it's good to get up to Superstar learning first. My QB starts at Quick, thankfully so I'll only have to upgrade once to hit Superstar though it costs 15K xp...... Is there really that much of a difference in how much xp you get from Superstar compared to Quick to where it's worth learning this first before beefing up those throws?

So I'm using all my prep time on my rookie QB and was super tempted to upgrade his short and medium throws but held off because of Drizzler's comment that it's good to get up to Superstar learning first. My QB starts at Quick, thankfully so I'll only have to upgrade once to hit Superstar though it costs 15K xp...... Is there really that much of a difference in how much xp you get from Superstar compared to Quick to where it's worth learning this first before beefing up those throws?

If you're dumping all your prep time in him, might as well just upgrade confidence first since that affects how much xp or confidence he gets from game prep.

brentech

Was going to say, consistency is that stat that gives a player more xp during training. I'm pretty sure it's based on their development trait and consistency rating.

Greg

It worked.

Good luck this year.
this is amazing

I figured you get the trait up to Superstar first and then Consistency up for super quick xp gains. I could do Consistency first but then it'd be hard to save up enough for that upgrade to Superstar. Curse that 15k requirement, that seems crazy expensive. At least this guy must be a stud because pretty much every other trait is already unlocked for him by default :) Man do I want to upgrade his short and medium throws more though haha

Also, I thought someone in here said confidence doesn't matter at all? That their players still played well and everyone took massive confidence hits anyway going into season 2?

eznark

Banned
So now that battery life is improved and I have seen one in person I am again greatly tempted.

Should I go buy a moto 360?

Colasante

What is exciting about this?

I've been looking forward to Star Wars Episode VII since I first heard George Lucas talk about envisioning three trilogies when I was a child. To see the title announced for a movie I never actually expected to exist is a cool moment.

eznark

Banned
I've been looking forward to Star Wars Episode VII since I first heard George Lucas talk about envisioning three trilogies when I was a child. To see the title announced for a movie I never actually expected to exist is a cool moment.

ah, thought there was something special about the title I was missing.

I think it'll be cool, I didn't despise the latest trilogy so whatever.

The Whitta movie will suck though because he is garbagio.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
That title is fucking garbage.

Ill get excited for those movies when they hit. The prequels wernt great but there were some cool moments in them. There are these big gaps in between these movies. If you realize they arent really being made for you, they are being made for kids, its a bit easier to handle.

They are trying to sell toys to kids, not fulfill some 40 year old's dream.

Somnia

Wow this Dragon Age multiplayer looks great. Straight up 4 player dungeon crawls, reminds me a ton of an MMO, but in Dragon Age. Tanks, healers, support, etc. leveling up, loot drops, etc. I just can't decide what system to get it on. I'll try the 6 hour early start through EA Access and see how it looks/runs on XB1.

Mrbob

Wow this Dragon Age multiplayer looks great. Straight up 4 player dungeon crawls, reminds me a ton of an MMO, but in Dragon Age. Tanks, healers, support, etc. leveling up, loot drops, etc. I just can't decide what system to get it on. I'll try the 6 hour early start through EA Access and see how it looks/runs on XB1.

I had a bunch of credit so I already bought and pre loaded the game on XB1. I asked you jerks who would be getting the game on PS4 and no one replied so I went ahead and used my credit! I also went with EA Access as well so I can play the game early. I came out ahead price wise since the discount on the game was higher than a monthly cost of EA Access.

Mrbob

Mainly I have a bunch of XB1 credit I'm trying to use up and I can't think of anything else in the near future I'd buy for the platform.

Somnia

I had a bunch of credit so I already bought and pre loaded the game on XB1. I asked you jerks who would be getting the game on PS4 and no one replied so I went ahead and used my credit! I also went with EA Access as well so I can play the game early. I came out ahead price wise since the discount on the game was higher than a monthly cost of EA Access.

Never saw your ask my bad! I'm aiming for xb1 at this point. We will have to do some dungeons runs.

Top Bottom