• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '15 PS4 League Thread: We Know DOTA

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Birdman hasn't been in our league for like two years now lol

Its just not the same without him breaking his kids toy during the game. Poor baby birdman always wondering why his toys sometimes go missing.

Mrs. Birdman showing up in the thread was the best.

You know who I mean!

I actually IMed GCQ yesterday because I wanted his twitch handle so I could study his game against LJ. I thought he was the ravens, but that's a whole different GQ haha.

I don't remember who owns the Saints but that guy absolutely destroyed me in the first few weeks. That left a scar.

Sickboy beat me so soundly it was absurd. My defense allowed 3 points but he completely shut me out. It was incredible and forced me to change my offense going forward. That game against LJ last night will have the same effect.

McNei1y

Sickboy beat me so soundly it was absurd. My defense allowed 3 points but he completely shut me out. It was incredible and forced me to change my offense going forward. That game against LJ last night will have the same effect.

I've got to work on my defense game as seen by a lot of the 3rd down conversions I've given up this season and by the points I've given up... but Sickboy just absolutely abused me on offense. And then to top it off, I couldn't do squat on offense myself.

This NFC East division is stacked against me. At least it gives me some practice and new ideas. I just wish I could see what most of you guys do on defense (aside from the play call). My team just looks so inefficient against the pass game. I do think the horrible confidence is playing a huge part in it though.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I've got to work on my defense game as seen by a lot of the 3rd down conversions I've given up this season and by the points I've given up... but Sickboy just absolutely abused me on offense. And then to top it off, I couldn't do squat on offense myself.

This NFC East division is stacked against me. At least it gives me some practice and new ideas. I just wish I could see what most of you guys do on defense (aside from the play call). My team just looks so inefficient against the pass game. I do think the horrible confidence is playing a huge part in it though.

Everything starts with your defensive line. It's less important in Madden but a good DL makes a very big difference. I made adjustments galore and had the #1 O going in but literally could get nothing done against the Rams DL last night. LJ could rush 4 and get to me no problem. Further, the solution to stopping my run game, or any run game, is too have DL that can get off their blocks and fill the gaps quickly. A lot of times I've seen guys user their best DL which I do myself, but then it becomes easy to target them with directional runs. I've had a lot of success stuffing runs this year at or behind the LOS usering JPP. You should be targeting DL players with high strength and block shed. No other stat really means much of anything except maybe tackle.

To follow that, none of us in this league can really throw the ball consistently and not throw picks, especially the top tier players. More than anything on defense I care about stopping the run because it will create opportunities for interceptions. I'm not huge on having the best LBs since they're overrated in the modern NFL, but play design and having guys with the right attributes is important in Madden. I'm ok having 70-80 OVR LBs as long as their PRC and BSH is high.

Moreover, sometimes a great offense is better than a good defense. I've experimented with my playstyle this year. I am known for a slow methodical game in which I want to get down the field taking as much time as possible and still scoring. This creates pressure on the opposing player to score and score quickly because the opportunities will be limited. This forces additional mistakes. I've been changing up in certain situations to going very quickly and just putting up tons of points. There have been games where I don't punt until the 4th quarter, and that again creates problems. I have no issue dropping 8 guys into coverage is my opponent wants to start forcing the pass because they are behind by a lot or need to score quickly.

I think that the best thing for me has been really not treating it as two separate parts of the game but meshing them together. It's an overarching scheme in which my offensive and defensive gameplans tie together. For you, I remember your offense was giving me fits in season one. Build off of that and create a great pass rush. It's how the Colts and Saints won their super bowls. They didn't need complete defenses just ones that complimented the other half of their team.

eznark

Banned
If you do nothing but double tight formations I'm not sure I give a fuck about your cheese complaints. It creates a lot of the same problems as pistol in confusing linebackers.

How did "EA show up in a big way" in OT?

McNei1y

Thanks for the words Wellster. I've never given too much of a shit about my DL now that I think about it. I've got to check them out when I get home tonight. I know Hatcher is the best and Cofield isn't too bad at DT but I could probably use some upgrades at those positions. I have noticed that I've given up quite a high average per run this year. Maybe it's time to go back to the drawing board.

My MLBs are pretty much the range that you mentioned and my OLBs should be tearing it up but I know their lack of confidence as affected their gameplay this season. I guess it's time to start spending my scouting points.

Smokey

I don't think our good friend Soka used his full bag of tricks in that game. But thank you.

The read option keep with Dysert was mysteriously missing. You can see I was planning for it all game.

If you do nothing but double tight formations I'm not sure I give a fuck about your cheese complaints. It creates a lot of the same problems as pistol in confusing linebackers.

How did "EA show up in a big way" in OT?

http://youtu.be/p5ofkfLFpYQ?t=3m26s

Strangely, my defense has gotten better when I stopped controlling my D-Lineman. I used to be okay with it but I don't think I have gotten acquainted with the new controls. I was never stopping the run or getting to the QB. So I essentially was playing 10 on 11.

My user LB/Safety has gotten better and a lot of times I'm actually in the right spot to make a play or I guessed my opponent's route correctly, but I'll under/over play it and totally whiff sometimes because user controlling is sometimes like controlling a goddamn Landmaster.

TheCrow

Wait...what!?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20312925&postcount=26609

laugh.gif

Somnia

CB loving all the Final Fantasy talk on that thread haha or Nightz giving a play by play on how to beat a boss for Matrix lol

Forgot about FMT wanting to hang out with CB in a park...

Greg

random stats:

I have 11 fumbles on offense
10 forced fumbles on defense and only 4 recovered
12 picks vs. 36 deflections

Ferny

I've been going back through the Awards threads. Where have they been for this season Frenchy?

NFC West Award for excellence in divisional talent: Worst division winner in the league - Ferny (Jets)

This is kind of an award for the entire AFC East. Although Ferny will get it, it's really the
entire division being horrible that allowed this to happen! Pat yourselves on the back!

Screw you! I mean it's true but SCREW YOU

best league killer - DOTA 2

the league was going nice and smooth until this devil showed up! the thread became a meeting ground for DOTA 2 players, people lagged on getting their games in and interest dropped! But, like all games, balance more or less returned (minus lukems!)

That was back in 2012. It has only gotten worse.

TheCrow

I've been going back through the Awards threads. Where have they been for this season Frenchy?

Screw you! I mean it's true but SCREW YOU

That was back in 2012. It has only gotten worse.

I guess it has been 2 years since we started. And Luke said it wouldn't last. Ha, we got the last laugh.

Somnia

In about a year and a half I will have been on this forum for a decade or maybe 9 years, Christ

I have been reading/posting on gaf since it was part of the gaming-age website. I just don't post a crazy amount. Pretty crazy to realize how long I've been part of this community, I think Az might be the lowest member # though here.

edit: I lie, FMT is 214... and DM is 77, well ok then!

McNei1y

I have been reading/posting on gaf since it was part of the gaming-age website. I just don't post a crazy amount. Pretty crazy to realize how long I've been part of this community, I think Az might be the lowest member # though here.

edit: I lie, FMT is 214... and DM is 77, well ok then!

I'm technically in the 30k's but that's because I didn't realize my
other original]/spoiler] account was verified a year before I started posting on this one. So I just use this one and ignore that one exists.

Somnia

I joined in 1999. I'm sure there were others here before that though. Maybe Lonestar?

You joined in 04 my friend.

On here, 99ish would be gaming age prior to the database crash right?

Edit: Can't remember its been so long. Pretty sure this version of gaf went up June 04.

Top Bottom