• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '16 PS4 Online league thread #2: Blink Daggers and Backflips

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Remember how FMT was talking about doing away with free offseason trades for highly rated players and picks?

I think you guys are giving him an argument. JUST SAYIN

LukeSmith

On offense, two positions that make the game easier (you can win without them, like the Steelers did!) for you are:
  • Quarterback
  • Tight End

On defense it depends on where you play, but Cornerback is basically as far away from where most people user playing outside and deep (most people play the middle of the field) so Corner is super important.

lilfukboi wanted Fleener - who is a top tier Tight End and I wanted both ROLB Lucas and CB Hart for him -- because those two players (combined) make the game easier on Defense in the way that Fleener makes the game easier on offense.

Turn on the Trade Council, it's time to save people from themselves.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
if anyone thinks a 30+ defensive tackle can change your team the way a top ten pick in these drafts can you're fucking high

please if you're new to the league/draft (or just shouldn't be your team's GM because you don't know what positions actually matter in Madden) just ask questions so a vet can talk to you about positional weighting relative to draft value

don't get swindled

Your commentary during the DC drafts has me thinking twice before making some moves. -_-

On offense, two positions that make the game easier (you can win without them, like the Steelers did!) for you are:
  • Quarterback
  • Tight End

On defense it depends on where you play, but Cornerback is basically as far away from where most people user playing outside and deep (most people play the middle of the field) so Corner is super important.

lilfukboi wanted Fleener - who is a top tier Tight End and I wanted both ROLB Lucas and CB Hart for him -- because those two players (combined) make the game easier on Defense in the way that Fleener makes the game easier on offense.

Turn on the Trade Council, it's time to save people from themselves.

You wanted BOTH!?

Hahahahahahahahahaha cmon man

LukeSmith

You wanted BOTH!?

Hahahahahahahahahaha

It's about making the game easier. I don't need both, but that's the value of Fleener.
A go-to weapon on offense is worth as much as two players on defense that you don't have to play.

I don't need either of them. I had a top 5 defense last year. But if I'm giving up an go-to on offense, than I am going to charge accordingly.

LJ11

Honestly, I think biggest factor with CBs is their speed, at least in Franchise.

Cover 2 man is ridiculous, all you have to worry about is off the line Y on drags and the TE. A good user defender can help slow that down, drop one of the other safeties down to defend the curl flat area and you're going to give a guy fits. It will lock up everything except C corner routes and certain post routes.

I'd love to run dumb fuck corners with 94 speed and my DL, and see my results.

DCX

DCX
Honestly, I think biggest factor with CBs is their speed, at least in Franchise.

Cover 2 man is ridiculous, all you have to worry about is off the line Y on drags and the TE. A good user defender can help slow that down, drop one of the other safeties down to defend the curl flat area and you're going to give a guy fits. It will lock up everything except C corner routes and certain post routes.

I'd love to run dumb fuck corners with 94 speed and my DL, and see my results.
this is spot on. Speed for corners is a must with the crop of McKays in every draft. If you "hold" the decision time of the QB, Dline with get home.

DCX

6bAsIMC.png

Do u even scout bro

lmao

my same reaction

I did not get swindled at all in my trade, i likely wouldnt have done it if there werent maybe two seasons max left for us, because as luke me tioned, atkins is 30, but the chance to instantly upgrade a huge weakness in my team, and only losing out on some 80 overall rookie was too big to ignore. My nose tackle before this was a 79 overall

LukeSmith

I hope DM tries next season

I did not get swindled at all in my trade, i likely wouldnt have done it if there werent maybe two seasons max left for us, because as luke me tioned, atkins is 30, but the chance to instantly upgrade a huge weakness in my team, and only losing out on some 80 overall rookie was too big to ignore. My nose tackle before this was a 79 overall

I understand your logic here, it's just not Madden-logic. That's all I'm saying. You're probably going to get something like 15 tackles 5 TFL and 4 sacks out of Atkins this year, that's just worth less of a win-share or WARP or whatever than a different skill position. That's all I'm saying.

TE Keland Stills - who I imagine goes in the top 10, but seems like he should go even higher - is just going to contribute more to Wins than a DT.

Because he makes the game easier.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker

Ive gotten 75-80 OVR guys through the first two rounds the last few seasons, and thats with me picking way down at 30-32 every time. Im pretty sure the top 10 picks hover somewhere around 80-85 and are probably better than their OVR would lead you to believe.

There are some straight beasts in this draft

I know man. This makes me annoyed that Cutler retired, although I may just ride the Mike Glennon trade. I got a chance to get two studs at two big positions of need

also, I kind of miss last year's scouting system. I feel like we're all pretty much on the same page as far as prospects go, and some people have slightly different opinions, but nothing surprises anyone anymore

LukeSmith

I know man. This makes me annoyed that Cutler retired, although I may just ride the Mike Glennon trade. I got a chance to get two studs at two big positions of need

also, I kind of miss last year's scouting system. I feel like we're all pretty much on the same page as far as prospects go, and some people have slightly different opinions, but nothing surprises anyone anymore

I got an 83 Rated/Top 5 overall player (RB) in the fourth round last year. I think there are still some surprises.

I like the format this year (I didn't get to a draft last year because reasons).

Ive gotten 75-80 OVR guys through the first two rounds the last few seasons, and thats with me picking way down at 30-32 every time. Im pretty sure the top 10 picks hover somewhere around 80-85 and are probably better than their OVR would lead you to believe.
Oh i have no doubt there are some beasts in the top ten, i would have stuck with the draft pick if we had more upcoming seasons, but this guy will help my run defense tremendously day 1, at least, thats the plan

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
If anyone wants to give me some scout info on the basis that I've only got 2 weeks of scoutingin, would be appreciated

LukeSmith

If anyone wants to give me some scout info on the basis that I've only got 2 weeks of scoutingin, would be appreciated

What pick do you have Lone?

Add me on steam and I'll get you some screen shots or something you can also just tell me some dudes you want info on and I can get it for you.

LJ11

Honest question, if you're drafting a TE what stats are you looking for?

http://www.muthead.com/16/players/8148-ladarius-green

Above, L.Green, a budge MUT beast since he dropped in early in Nov. Ask yourself this, am I going to take a dude top 10 when route running for a TE means jack shit? Or when CIT is so variable that it doesn't matter who's making the catch?

Best MUT Gronk card.

I'm going to grab some grub, then I'll go and look at the draft.

Edit: TEs were great when you could just throw it to them over the middle and they would catch everything. Now it's corner routes or drags, aka the FMT offense when V.Davis was good. Route running won't matter for either route types, or slants for that matter.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'

The problem is moreso what luke mentioned above, the weighted positional value. Example, I spent a ton of money on Terrance Knighton 2 offseasons ago but he was at best a marginal upgrade to my defensive line.

However, I think that in order of importance of a defense in Madden it is LBs > DL > Corners > S.

Why does route running for a TE mean jack shit? Those option hitches and corners are pretty key routes for a TE right?

most TE's have sub 75 route running. Bennett had for most of his time here and he did just fine due to his CIT and overall catching skills.

If you want route running, get a WR. TE's are binkies where you can get away with tight/contested coverage.

At least that's my view on the matter

LJ11

Why does route running for a TE mean jack shit? Those option hitches and corners are pretty key routes for a TE right?

You should't throw any hitches to a TE unless you want to get intercepted, I guess it could help with corner routes, but ask yourself why Cooks from the Rams beasts on dudes when I actually feel like throwing his way, it's not because of his route running.

When I was using the Steelers book with all the twin TE shit he had over 1000 yards, almost had that this year too and barely look his way.

yeah idk about that LJ, a TE with 85+ route running kills linebackers on intermediate routes. that's always the first thing i put XP into.

You're wasting XP, what routes is he running? Square ins? Fuck that nonsense, not for me. I'm using him to clear zones or run flags. Guess it comes down to the user. I'm not buying it, I've proven it too. RBK >>>>>>>>>>>>>> All, Wellie was and always will be right on that.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
What pick do you have Lone?

Add me on steam and I'll get you some screen shots or something you can also just tell me some dudes you want info on and I can get it for you.

3rd overall in all the rounds. Let me look into the scouts and come up with some, thanks.

Stand down Lone!

DCX

No. I have no offensive line, and you have an adequate one.

Mr. Fluffykittentits

DCX

DCX
The problem is moreso what luke mentioned above, the weighted positional value. Example, I spent a ton of money on Terrance Knighton 2 offseasons ago but he was at best a marginal upgrade to my defensive line.

However, I think that in order of importance of a defense in Madden it is LBs > DL > Corners > S.
LBs>Corners>DL>S

Safties have proven to be the worst Madden adjusted position. They just don't behave the way they should in reference to thier NFL counterparts.

Idk what happened to Beasley. He kinda had a sub par season. I though he would continue to break out.

DCX

LukeSmith

For me in terms of acquisition priority it's been: CB > LB > S > DL

Plus, like someone else said, you can transition your corners to Safety when they age (Hi Vontae Davis in a year or two).

Disagree with my boy DCX on safeties as lame. But I've just looked for safeties who are fast and can play zone and hit hard

Bread

Banned
You're wasting XP, what routes is he running? Square ins? Fuck that nonsense, not for me. I'm using him to clear zones or run flags. Guess it comes down to the user. I'm not buying it, I've proven it too. RBK >>>>>>>>>>>>>> All, Wellie was and always will be right on that.
a good route running TE is the difference between a 15 yard reception and a 70 yard TD on a smash route. If their speed isn't enough to separate them from a linebacker then i go with route running so it gives them an advantage. RBK is my second priority though so i'm with you on that.

edit: corner route on a smash concept, not a smash route

You guys have made me feel real stupid for putting RTE in Barkley. He's at 84 there

But his catching is a 92 and CIT is a 91 so he ain't too bad

a good route running TE is the difference between a 15 yard reception and a 70 yard TD on a smash route. If their speed isn't enough to separate them from a linebacker then i go with route running so it gives them an advantage. RBK is my second priority though so i'm with you on that.

That's a good point, if you are stuck with a TE with mediocre speed, that can be something you can pump cheap points into to make them more effective

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
You should't throw any hitches to a TE unless you want to get intercepted, I guess it could help with corner routes, but ask yourself why Cooks from the Rams beasts on dudes when I actually feel like throwing his way, it's not because of his route running.

When I was using the Steelers book with all the twin TE shit he had over 1000 yards, almost had that this year too and barely look his way.

OK now you're just fucking with me.

Being able to set the edge is key, there are some formations and times where I will put a TE in the slot or outside if I am running in that direction, makes a world of difference.

For me it's AWR > RBK because I want my guy, above all, to put the body on the oncoming defender. If he can't do that RBK means jack shit.

DCX

DCX
For me in terms of acquisition priority it's been: CB > LB > S > DL

Plus, like someone else said, you can transition your corners to Safety when they age (Hi Vontae Davis in a year or two).

Disagree with my boy DCX on safeties as lame. But I've just looked for safeties who are fast and can play zone and hit hard
That's what I look for but they always seem to miss tackles, and not close in on routes like they should...like the defensive play calls for I guess. I feel like I have to hot route a play for then to succeed.

I don't know why I complain. I'm always top five in defensive interceptions :/

DCX

LukeSmith

Fleener's a terrible run blocker.
Allen is pretty good.

Didn't run enough two TE last season and I'm still pretty flush at WR.

Definitely wish Fleener had better RBK, seen so many guys abuse him on runs

DJ Bowser

Somewhat interested in trading down. I have picks 31 and 33. (also the 31st in the second).

Depending on how free agency goes, I may want to try and condense my picks for value's sake.

brentech

He was asking for two first round defensive players for a TE who's only great thing is speed.
This does not erase the dumb ass trade offers you throw out to people, and that's my point. Even for someone that knows to start high and settle in the middle, your starting points are so egregious that I've heard of multiple people saying they want nothing to do with you or just don't respond at all after that point.

And even still, Luke isn't even wrong in his reasoning. OLBs are a dime a dozen as they just aren't the impact players in Madden 16 that TEs are.

Top Bottom