• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '16 PS4 Online league thread #2: Blink Daggers and Backflips

DJ Bowser

So, I just closed on my townhome! I went from being excited to just being happy the process is over.

Also passed my level 2 Sommelier Certification last month.

Also don't have to buy my copy of Madden 17.

What a time to be alive.

Smokey

lukeeeeeeeeeeee fammmmmmm

i see you rising up the ladder

pls do the following

1 - make destiny 2 60fps
2 - make destiny 2 60fps
3 - make destiny 2 60fps

kthnx

DCX

DCX
Loot cave with Madden GAF names on the walls like in Lost the TV Show :)

Lilboss on the outside looking in of course!

DCX

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
There has to be a gun seller that complains about his missing vision cone.

a Bog's brand box of Corn Flakes wouldn't be too bad, either.

BigAT

Attn: Luke or any other old school WoW raiders.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-story-of-cthun-how-a-wow-boss-drove-raiders-to-madness/

I don't really like how they classify it as Blizzard nerfing C'Thun because it was too hard, as opposed to the reality which is that it was a broken, unbeatable mess initially. Sure they nerfed it a bit in addition to the bug fixes, but it being bugged was the far bigger hurdle.

Also it was hardly the first bit of raid content that was broken and couldn't be beaten upon release. The back half of BWL was impossible for Horde initially because Blizzard only play tested it on Alliance (this is a personal belief I'll hold until the day I die), Chromaggus was effectively unkillable at first because he was bugged (although we were able to get the technical world first on him by bugging out the fight), Thaddius had a technical bug that would randomly cause people to disconnect during the fight and blow up half the raid. I think there was even a version of Ragnaros that no one ever beat.

I still think Four Horsemen in Naxx was the hardest fight in Vanilla. Even after beating I was still stunned we had managed to pull it off. It required such crazy coordination and rotations, more so than C'Thun to me.

Attn: Luke or any other old school WoW raiders.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-story-of-cthun-how-a-wow-boss-drove-raiders-to-madness/

I don't really like how they classify it as Blizzard nerfing C'Thun because it was too hard, as opposed to the reality which is that it was a broken, unbeatable mess initially. Sure they nerfed it a bit in addition to the bug fixes, but it being bugged was the far bigger hurdle.

Also it was hardly the first bit of raid content that was broken and couldn't be beaten upon release. The back half of BWL was impossible for Horde initially because Blizzard only play tested it on Alliance (this is a personal belief I'll hold until the day I die), Chromaggus was effectively unkillable at first because he was bugged (although we were able to get the technical world first on him by bugging out the fight), Thaddius had a technical bug that would randomly cause people to disconnect during the fight and blow up half the raid. I think there was even a version of Ragnaros that no one ever beat.

I still think Four Horsemen in Naxx was the hardest fight in Vanilla. Even after beating I was still stunned we had managed to pull it off. It required such crazy coordination and rotations, more so than C'Thun to me.

I remember having so many issues in raids due to the fact that blizzard balanced around paladin blessings and forgot about the short range on shaman totems. Instead of figuring it out, they went the normal blizzard path and just gave both sides both. But man was WoW a pain for horde during vanilla. Remember when dwarf priests could cast fear ward, completely trivializing Onyxia? Fuck that shit. At least our racial talents gave us an edge in pvp.

Somnia

Items on sale in the current PSN Flash Sale:

The Banner Saga $4.99
Grim Fandango $4.49
The Golf Club $4.49
Killzone Shadowfall $4.99
Zombi $4.99
Wolf Among Us $4.99

Just some I saw that stood out.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
What I remember of WoW: I created a Bull guy, and there was a giant green field with a tree city. Thats it.

BigAT

I remember having so many issues in raids due to the fact that blizzard balanced around paladin blessings and forgot about the short range on shaman totems. Instead of figuring it out, they went the normal blizzard path and just gave both sides both. But man was WoW a pain for horde during vanilla. Remember when dwarf priests could cast fear ward, completely trivializing Onyxia? Fuck that shit. At least our racial talents gave us an edge in pvp.

Yep, that's exactly what I was referring to with BWL being initially impossible for Horde. It was clearly tested with the Paladin's threat reduction blessing in mind, which Horde didn't even have a totem equivalent of. The absurd, out of the box steps we took to try to get past the drakes...and still couldn't do it. I'm convinced Blizzard never even beat the encounter once internally with a Horde group, which is really awful as far as testing is concerned.

I forgot about that Dwarf Priest racial. It also made Magmadar in MC easier as well.

Also, weren't blessings raid-wide whereas totems only affected the actual party? God, fuck all that.

Somnia

I wish I could partake in all of these WoW memories, but I didn't play much vanilla :(

I was still big on Everquest 1 at the time and raiding with a lot of friends who then went to Everquest 2 not WoW.

I don't think I really started taking WoW seriously till near the end of Burning Crusade right before Wrath.

Trasher

Yep, that's exactly what I was referring to with BWL being initially impossible for Horde. It was clearly tested with the Paladin's threat reduction blessing in mind, which Horde didn't even have a totem equivalent of. The absurd, out of the box steps we took to try to get past the drakes...and still couldn't do it. I'm convinced Blizzard never even beat the encounter once internally with a Horde group, which is really awful as far as testing is concerned.

I forgot about that Dwarf Priest racial. It also made Magmadar in MC easier as well.

Also, weren't blessings raid-wide whereas totems only affected the actual party? God, fuck all that.

That feel though when tremor totem proc'd at the perfect time. :kreygasm:

BigAT

That feel though when tremor totem proc'd at the perfect time. :kreygasm:

And the other 90% of the time when it didn't

Trasher

Do people actually consider Naxx to be Vanilla WoW? Vanilla WoW to me is MC/BWL. Even AQ to a point.

Also, I'm not sure Luke ever killed C'thun now that I think of it. I think he took a break from the game after he opened the gates. I ended up coming out of my own retirement during that time and our guild got one of the world's first Viscidus kills. WOW BLIZZ! A fight where Shaman totems actually gave us a huge advantage for once!

cdyhybrid

Do people actually consider Naxx to be Vanilla WoW? Vanilla WoW to me is MC/BWL. Even AQ to a point.

Also, I'm not sure Luke ever killed C'thun now that I think of it. I think he took a break from the game after he opened the gates. I ended up coming out of my own retirement during that time and our guild got one of the world's first Viscidus kills. WOW BLIZZ! A fight where Shaman totems actually gave us a huge advantage for once!
Sure, I consider all of that Vanilla.

We didn't kill C'Thun either. Was working on him when Naxx came out and the fuckers in my guild wanted to go chase the easy loot there instead.

Trasher

Sure, I consider all of that Vanilla.

We didn't kill C'Thun either. Was working on him when Naxx came out and the fuckers in my guild wanted to go chase the easy loot there instead.

We killed C'Thun not that long after Twin Emps I believe. Twin Emps were fucking hard too.

I think everything pre-TBC falls under the Vanilla umbrella, but I get what you're saying.

Oh no. Whoops. I forgot about the original Naxx. I stopped playing around then and missed a lot of that instance.

Yes, pre-TBC is the vanilla era for sure.

Somnia

I keep thinking of trying WoW out again with Legion coming up, but I just dunno. I would like to find an MMO to play again off and on now that I'm mainly back on PC. I hear FFXIV is great from so many people, but it's never hooked me.

Maybe I'll just go play Project 1999 and relive Everquest and its archaic designs.

BigAT

It's odd to see such positive nostalgia for AQ (not necessarily here, but I've seen it elsewhere). Maybe it just happened to coincide with it being a pretty rough time for my guild in general, but I hated that place personally. By far my least favorite of the original raids.

Trasher

It's odd to see such positive nostalgia for AQ (not necessarily here, but I've seen it elsewhere). Maybe it just happened to coincide with it being a pretty rough time for my guild in general, but I hated that place personally. By far my least favorite of the original raids.

I missed the first half of progression in AQ 40, but killing Viscidus, Twin Emps, and C'thun for the first time were really satisfying. I loved the chaos of the C'thun fight. The Ventrilo server had 8 channels set up for each party, and then the raid leaders could broadcast to all parties when needed. That kind of coordination is what I miss about the vanilla stuff as hard as it was.

I'm not sure how I would rank all of those vanilla raids. Nostalgia would be a large factor I'm sure.

That's because it's easier to remember a couple of cool boss fight mechanics and overlook the hours spent in lvl 40 dungeons farming poison resist gear and an hour of trash to get from twins to C'thun.

brentech

I think when people think back to vanilla WoW they give fear ward wayyyyyy more credit than it deserves. It was a multi minute cool down - like 3-4 min?, and the buff went away the first time the wearer was feared.
Once that buff got popped, there was no back up past that. Don't get me wrong, it was great for the initial pull for a lot of fights, but being smart and not being in the wrong spot prevents most of those problems anyways.

My guild was fairly new when BWL was already getting finished by other guilds. We were just starting out MC. But by the time AQ was ready, even though it was someone from another guild that got the gates opened, we were the first to take down C'Thun. Guild had a really hard time keeping people's interest in Naxx knowing BC was coming around. A lot of people wanted a break - that's also when I sold my account. We had a handful of bosses down in there, but no major ones.

AQ was hot garbage. If I have fond memories of anything it's BWL.

Naxx counts as Vanilla? Good god.

I was in the second horde group on my server to get thru BWL. And yeah it was absurd what we would have to do to get thru a fight compared to allies. BWL and MC where my favorite memories, and standing on the archway in the AQ town.... Forget the name... But you could stand on an archway and range atk people in the city and the guards wouldn't Agro. Me and a couple other hunters would just stand up there and time our aimed shots on allies walking around the town to kill them instantly, and eventually it'd start a war. World PvP moments like that are really my fondest memories.

brentech

Naxx counts as Vanilla? Good god.

I was in the second horde group on my server to get thru BWL. And yeah it was absurd what we would have to do to get thru a fight compared to allies. BWL and MC where my favorite memories, and standing on the archway in the AQ town.... Forget the name... But you could stand on an archway and range atk people in the city and the guards wouldn't Agro. Me and a couple other hunters would just stand up there and time our aimed shots on allies walking around the town to kill them instantly, and eventually it'd start a war. World PvP moments like that are really my fondest memories.
Anything that came out before the first expansion is vanilla content. OG naxx was out before burning crusade.

Edit: At a local bar and burger joint. trying a burger at this placecalled the president carter. It has peanut butter on it. It's about to get weird.

BigAT

People referred to a vanilla WoW before the first expansion even came out. At least on Boulderfist.

Cutting it off after BWL is incredibly arbitrary though. If you wanted to say anything after MC, that I could maybe see since it would only be stuff that was in at launch. But BWL was patched in later just the same as AQ and Naxx.

Cutting it off after BWL is incredibly arbitrary though. If you wanted to say anything after MC, that I could maybe see since it would only be stuff that was in at launch. But BWL was patched in later just the same as AQ and Naxx.

Yeah thats right. After MC isn't Vanilla. But Boulderfist Horde side was so far behind. Rag wasnt even dead by the time BWL came out.

Top Bottom