• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '16 PS4 Online league thread #2: Blink Daggers and Backflips

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
One thing is for sure, and that is that you just can't really play man against Bryant and McKay unless you have a zone underneath them on the typical ins and posts. McKay ate up DRC and Bryant killed Prince.

LJ11

LJ: Stop the corner routes

Pretty much. Don't get me wrong, I'll throw down the middle of the field, and I'll hit the post, I tried a few against CB but I either had some PI/Hook Defender hitting my WR, or a drop. But when I'm playing FMT or CB and they're patrolling the middle, no fucking thanks. I'll take the outside throw all game long unless they switch user. It's a triangle read, it's hard to run out of 2X2 unless the back is on the read side, you can tell when it's coming.

Honestly, I hot route a ton, it's about combos, I see guys throwing routes and they just aren't clearing defenders. If I'm going to the post I want to run off the single high safety. When the Tyrod beat the Texans with a great post throw to Clay for the game winner, Roman used Mulligan to just clear out the single high, they also ran a wheel to that side of the field, boom TD. I do the same shit in game, except I'm sacked more often than not because this isn't MUT where you can get the players you want. Actually, I got Phee with this is early in the year, and CB in our first game with a very similar concept

FMT for instances uses a similar concept that I use with corners but with a deep comeback, it's about getting the 2 on 1 on the zone corner. You can also beat cover 4 by using Mills/Pin concepts, where you get the backside S to sit on the curl route, but sometimes you don't have enough time to hit the front side post.

I try to to mix it up, but it depends on what your opponent is doing. With regards to Bowser, I watched that game. I think you have to play high fucking risk and gamble with you user, he'll make a mistake if you crowd the middle. I find the best thing to do is find 3-4 formations that you love, that have good runs and just run them over and over. Nothing is harder stop, when it looks the same but there are 4-5 plays smacking you around. That's why Eagles split back is tough, you end up getting pissed off, and you don't focus on what the plays are, so you just run around like an idiot.

Mrbob

I think the worst thing I did was go into the stream for a few seconds to bitch about not getting the breaks, that was poor form. I'm almost never in the stream when I play, but I had to vent, that was poor sportsmanship. And I shut it off immediately after, then I threw a pick six and laughed my ass off.
LJCast with your commentary during games would be the greatest thing ever.

DCX

DCX
Pretty much. Don't get me wrong, I'll throw down the middle of the field, and I'll hit the post, I tried a few against CB but I either had some PI/Hook Defender hitting my WR, or a drop. But when I'm playing FMT or CB and they're patrolling the middle, no fucking thanks. I'll take the outside throw all game long unless they switch user. It's a triangle read, it's hard to run out of 2X2 unless the back is on the read side, you can tell when it's coming.

Honestly, I hot route a ton, it's about combos, I see guys throwing routes and they just aren't clearing defenders. If I'm going to the post I want to run off the single high safety. When the Tyrod beat the Texans with a great post throw to Clay for the game winner, Roman used Mulligan to just clear out the single high, they also ran a wheel to that side of the field, boom TD. I do the same shit in game, except I'm sacked more often than not because this isn't MUT where you can get the players you want. Actually, I got Phee with this is early in the year, and CB in our first game with a very similar concept

FMT for instances uses a similar concept that I use with corners but with a deep comeback, it's about getting the 2 on 1 on the zone corner. You can also beat cover 4 by using Mills/Pin concepts, where you get the backside S to sit on the curl route, but sometimes you don't have enough time to hit the front side post.

I try to to mix it up, but it depends on what your opponent is doing. With regards to Bowser, I watched that game. I think you have to play high fucking risk and gamble with you user, he'll make a mistake if you crowd the middle. I find the best thing to do is find 3-4 formations that you love, that have good runs and just run them over and over. Nothing is harder stop, when it looks the same but there are 4-5 plays smacking you around. That's why Eagles split back is tough, you end up getting pissed off, and you don't focus on what the plays are, so you just run around like an idiot.
this is why I'm the player I am today. The man is a genius!

DCX

LukeSmith

GG Bowser.

Sorry to everyone that watched. I psyched myself out and thus did not play well. Last seasons games against Bowser were actually much closer and I argue that I should have won both.

Some points:

1. Bowser falls back on cover 3 defense on crucial downs. If you guys saw I was calling a lot of plays that had the TE or the slot man running streaks in order to beat the C3. I had the right call on a number of them just couldn't hit the throws. There was one in which he called a C3 buzz and I thought I had him but he flipped it and his safety dropped down but I hadn't seen him. OBJ in the slot cleared the LB zone but I legit did not see the S Wilcox drop down. It explains how my slot guy Gandy got those 2 TDs late, I just went to what I knew would work. Could have been 14-7 at the half but Nassib overthrew the ball to Donnell in the end zone right to the defender.
  2. I saw he called a lot of outside posts with McKay so I wanted to run a lot of cover 3 since either the slot CB or the LB would take away that post depending on what side McKay lined up. Problem is if I ran C3 he could beat me over the top if he saw it. So I ended up taking the DE on the side in which the S drops into underneath coverage and hoting to a hook zone, I took the S that was supposed to be in that zone and manning him up on McKay, usering him to stay deep. That one 79 yard TD to Dez - I called the flip at the LOS to get over the top of McKay and user the underneath S but it looked like the flip did not register when I check the replay. I have an answer for this next time we play that I was thinking about prior to the game but did not execute.
  3. I ignored the run and that came back to bite me. His TE and outside WRs had career games against me blocking wise
  4. I had no answer for Gregory who just kept knifing into the backfield. There was nothing I could do, he kept coming in unblocked on running plays. The way I take guys like that out of the play is to run at them to get a hat on hat, I was running at Lee and Hardy to remove them, my OL did not compensate for Gregory on the backside. Will need to adjust.
  5. I am not sure how many watched what I reviewed after the game but if you noticed Bowser has 3-4 core play that he runs out of multiple formations. Further if you notice, the TE is inconsequential to most of his plays which I noticed prior to the game due to his lack of receptions but saw now how he is normally kept inside to block.

In all I put no pressure on Bowsers offense with my offense and thus he was able to romp. I was able to do so in our last few games forcing him to press. Sorry for those that had to watch that debacle, I have already started the prep work for our next game.

good analysis

one thing on cover 3, the 10 yard out should punish it, so anyone who falls back on c3 you can always hot route an out and then smart route it to get the down and distance you need against c3.

LukeSmith

the route combo I've seen from you occasionally is what you're describing, the streak with the post underneath/behind it -- so the streak pulls the safety and the post breaks open underneath

i like sitting in a small number of formations, even small number of plays and building the play at the line, but I think that's not super fun to play against so I've tried to get away from it this year.

LJ11

Whoa whoa whoa

That's what smart route does!? It makes routes go longer!?

Are you trolling? You bring up little details that few know and don't know about smart route? One of the first things you should do when you get the game is smart route as many routes as you can, especially in short yardage situations, see if anything cool happens when you smart route a long route into a short one (if the game lets you that is)

Wellie threw an Int in the redzone early in the game, overthrew it, I'm not sure if he hot routed the TE to a streak, but I thought if he smart routed the TE with the stock route (corner), he would have had a nice play.

the route combo I've seen from you occasionally is what you're describing, the streak with the post underneath/behind it -- so the streak pulls the safety and the post breaks open underneath

i like sitting in a small number of formations, even small number of plays and building the play at the line, but I think that's not super fun to play against so I've tried to get away from it this year.

Get sacked a ton doing it, it's my squad, but it definitely works, especially if you mix in a few drags as another underneath option to hold the user controlled LBs in check.

Whoa whoa whoa

That's what smart route does!? It makes routes go longer!?
It makes them go to the sticks. I remember LJ teaching me that a couple years ago because if your opponent had his corners off you could hot route to an out, smart route it and get a first the majority of the time.

Doesn't work as well now as it did back then for that particular case.

FMT: I haven't heard back from Rob yet. He wasn't on GAF at all yesterday.

LukeSmith

Are you trolling? You bring up little details that few know and don't know about smart route? One of the first things you should do when you get the game is smart route as many routes as you can, especially in short yardage situations, see if anything cool happens when you smart route a long route into a short one (if the game lets you that is)

Wellie threw an Int in the redzone early in the game, overthrew it, I'm not sure if he hot routed the TE to a streak, but I thought if he smart routed the TE with the stock route (corner), he would have had a nice play.

for instance: if you have a TE on a corner route from short yardage/goal-to-go.

stock: TE will run the route and break in the back of the end zone (your throw will likely go out of bounds)
hot route: TE will make his break at the goalline and fade into the corner

the hot routes look at the down and distance and move the break of the route based on that down and distance.

aka against cover 3, 3rd and 10, audible an out route and smart routing it will give the out a break at 10 yards, where the theoretical hole in the coverage should be

LJ11

for instance: if you have a TE on a corner route from short yardage/goal-to-go.

stock: TE will run the route and break in the back of the end zone (your throw will likely go out of bounds)
hot route: TE will make his break at the goalline and fade into the corner

the hot routes look at the down and distance and move the break of the route based on that down and distance.

aka against cover 3, 3rd and 10, audible an out route and smart routing it will give the out a break at 10 yards, where the theoretical hole in the coverage should be

Exactly.

DJ Bowser

Holy shit. My user coverage in 3rd down is so bad because I'm expecting everyone to be smart routing guys do it all breaks on the sticks... And half of you didn't know what the smart route was?

Jeez.

Ok real talk, when does this actually happen? I'm literally just watching the same shit you guys watch, maybe I'm just looking at different things but this idea has been vastly exaggerated and has turned into me being a "madden schooler", which at first I thought it was just a joke but apparently people like AZ think it's true.

The extent of my trash madden knowledge extends to the garbage that a member of previous leagues did which made me look up his shit to tell others and grab actual proof, and if I see some wonky stuff I go look at the game after the fact and try and see if it's actual shit or just madden being madden. This is my second year of Madden, I think I learned about play sticks early this year or late last year and I'm now learning about smart route.

The extent of my defense audibles are literally

Purple zone to stop corners
Play pass to prevent PA fuckery on 3rd and long
Play sticks to make my guys defend first down marker

If I don't know what smart route does, maybe it means I'm not this all knowing FYIDM legend some of you have made me out to be? Just a thought.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
That I did, hence doubly pissing me off on that throw. I made a bunch of bad calls but that int combined with the Nassib running backwards turn around throw right to the defender were brutal.

good analysis
one thing on cover 3, the 10 yard out should punish it, so anyone who falls back on c3 you can always hot route an out and then smart route it to get the down and distance you need against c3.

Depends where the flats defender is. A mistake I have often made that you call me on is that I abandon the in game route combos that work to use a hot route I am more comfortable with. I often take curl flat combos and turn them into curl outs and it fucks me since now the flats defender at one depth can be in a zone to cover two receivers.

Smokey

Smokey how do you feel about YNAB going subscription based?

A bit torn on it tbh. Their new version is stored in the cloud and allows you to sync it across all compatible devices. YNAB4 you have to have a Dropbox account, sync them together, etc. A little more cumbersome.

I'm going to try the new version (30 day free trial) and see how it is.

Smokey

Some of yall really didn't know about Smart Routing?

Fuking newbs. I don't believe for one second Cola doesn't know about SR. Then again he also claimed to not know how to stream.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
p184521_b_v7_ad.jpg

Hint: Its not Danza

Top Bottom