• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '16 PS4 Online league thread: DOTA says

eznark

Banned
sure, I'll be in Denver this weekend though.

Wait.

Eznark, who drops from the league completely and by extension the best QB in the game, would come back willingly to Cam Newton?

da fuk

Newton will be less frustrating because him making randomly erratic throws is common. Also, the Packers had like no room to grow.

Smokey

Custom playbooks need to be punted to orbit. They exist for one reason only in league play, and that is to gain an advantage.

DJ Bowser

I just don't like the idea of cherry picking a bunch of money plays. I'm open to a dialog on it but we can only move as fast as our slowest member!
I feel like there aren't really many money plays. I like the custom playbook because I like zone-running and shotgun passing. There are certain route combos I like and there are only so many formations in shotgun with counters, inside zones, and nice route combos.

So, what plays are "money" plays? Let's ban those from custom play books instead.

Smokey

I feel like there aren't really many money plays. I like the custom playbook because I like zone-running and shotgun passing. There are certain route combos I like and there are only so many formations in shotgun with counters, inside zones, and nice route combos.

Forced to *shock* use other plays?

DJ Bowser

Forced to *shock* use other plays?
I use plenty of plays, fam. But I have concepts I like and like using certain routes to set up others.

The issue is that I'd like most of my formations to have an inside run, an outside run, and an assortment of passes. Most playbooks have a dozen formations I find unusable.

It's hard to understand because you could always use them that way, yet you only ever banned them due to a bug (as far as I know). I'm trying to understand why you weren't concerned about it before.

I didn't realize people used custom playbooks until last night so it wasn't on my mind before then. Upon derp (my phone changed this from deep to derp but o leave it here!) Reflection, I don't think custom playbooks are a good idea for the league.

I don't like custom playbooks, and I don't care if my opponent plays solely D-Line, but if you play D-Line mostly your credibility to bitch about things that happen in the league is shot to me.

I use plenty of plays, fam. But I have concepts I like and like using certain routes to set up others.

The issue is that I'd like most of my formations to have an inside run, an outside run, and an assortment of passes. Most playbooks have a dozen formations I find unusable.

Then don't use them?

The idea that custom playbooks aren't being built to be abused feels pretty disingenuous.

I do it because I used the bills playbook last year. It had a bunch of formations that I liked. Anyway, that coach got canned and now they have Ryan with his boring ass playbook. I checked a bunch of teams' playbooks but couldn't find one I liked as much as it. So I modeled a custom one after it. I'm not building it to abuse, but whatever, it's pretty clear that no one here trusts anyone else (probably warranted).

DJ Bowser

The idea that custom playbooks aren't being built to be abused feels pretty disingenuous.
Has anyone complained about anyone's style of play with regards to playbooks?

If not, then how are they an issue?

You choose any play to get an advantage. Tailoring a playbook to your personel and preferred playing style is natural. It's not like I'm collecting cheesy plays. It allows me to diversify my play selection rather than rely on the few plays I like in any random playbook.

Has anyone complained about anyone's style of play with regards to playbooks?

If not, then how are they an issue?

You choose any play to get an advantage. Tailoring a playbook to your personel and preferred playing style is natural. It's not like I'm collecting cheesy plays. It allows me to diversify my play selection rather than rely on the few plays I like in any random playbook.

I took issue with tlbbs custom playbook last night

We were in a party chat when Big Boss was looking up Nano Blitzes and we overheard it. Doesn't surprise me that he's more interested in racking up wins no matter what the means are.

It does get kind of annoying that any time some people need a big play their best wide receiver is suddenly in the slot against a safety/your weakest corner. If it was easier to change coverage assignments at the line of scrimmage it wouldn't be a big deal.

I realize that's just a function of a lot of the playbooks and plays this year so I mean, whatever I guess.

We were in a party chat when Big Boss was looking up Nano Blitzes and we overheard it. Doesn't surprise me that he's more interested in racking up wins no matter what the means are.

yup, I nano blitz people, you caught me! Good thing I don't stream all my games for people to see all the stupid cheesy shit I do!

not like I already said I look over all my games and see what other people run to get fast pressure, I mean just look at all the blitzes I run against people in my games!

I love people just throwing around shit against me, just makes my day. I use custom offensive playbooks because Eagles shotgun passes and runs feel good to me, I used Bills custom playbook last year because it has a similar scheme with the shotgun runs and passing formations. I threw out the pistol shit and added in an i formation and some more single back sets for forte. It's also just makes me feel great when fucking CB makes fun of the way I say orange or just general language, sorry I can't talk like normal people CB, spent years trying to fix it, didn't get much success! Sorry I make some silly spelling mistakes, guess we better just mock me for fucking months on end because it's just a fun thing to do!

I'm fucking fine with using normal playbooks, but I can't fucking stand that all this shit is because I'm apparently a master cheeser who's just breaking the rules behind your back.

Not that it matters, I'm not a fucking idiot. None of this was light hearted ribbing, I knew my fucking place and FMT made it clear when I joined to watch out and not to cause drama or some shit. I ask a question about an extremely common sub in the NFL and I get asked "how the fuck did you join this league if you had to ask that?" I respond to a post from Brent and he responds with a "holy shit are you fucking retarded, fuck off" gif.

DJ Bowser

I don't even know how to do nano blitzes. I just like my all my plays where the primary read is the corner route :(

"This shit makes my day"

Proceeds to write a ranting essay.

I'd also like to throw out there that there's some people who like to call defensive plays before they've seen what type of personnel the offense has put out. Apparently, they know something we don't.

Ferny

"This shit makes my day"

I'd also like to throw out there that there's some people who like to call defensive plays before they've seen what type of personnel the offense has put out. Apparently, they know something we don't.

Are you upset about something phee? Who did you wrong?

Are you upset about something phee? Who did you wrong?
I'm not upset at all, but I'm just saying I've played against some defensive wizards in the past who would call defensive
Cover 3
plays before I picked anything and that was just a mysterious thing to me.

Although that mostly last year. It's happened a few times this year but not as frequently. I play in the INTEGRITY division!

eznark

Banned
"This shit makes my day"

I do that all the time. How is that a problem?

I do that all the time. How is that a problem?
I just want an explanation on why you would do that before you know the type of personnel being trotted out?!

Maybe you guys know something about football that I'm totally oblivious to. But I'm not sure a 4-3 defense against 4 wide is something you'd want to expose yourself to.

BigAT

yup, I nano blitz people, you caught me! Good thing I don't stream all my games for people to see all the stupid cheesy shit I do!

not like I already said I look over all my games and see what other people run to get fast pressure, I mean just look at all the blitzes I run against people in my games!

I love people just throwing around shit against me, just makes my day. I use custom offensive playbooks because Eagles shotgun passes and runs feel good to me, I used Bills custom playbook last year because it has a similar scheme with the shotgun runs and passing formations. I threw out the pistol shit and added in an i formation and some more single back sets for forte. It's also just makes me feel great when fucking CB makes fun of the way I say orange or just general language, sorry I can't talk like normal people CB, spent years trying to fix it, didn't get much success! Sorry I make some silly spelling mistakes, guess we better just mock me for fucking months on end because it's just a fun thing to do!

I'm fucking fine with using normal playbooks, but I can't fucking stand that all this shit is because I'm apparently a master cheeser who's just breaking the rules behind your back.

That went a lot of places. I kept expecting it to conclude with "and isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to me, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America."

What does you speaking weird have to do with using custom playbooks? If you like the Eagles offense, use their offense.

eznark

Banned
I just want an explanation on why you would do that before you know the type of personnel being trotted out?!

Because generally I don't care? It's pretty fucking rare someone surprises you in this league. People run like 5 plays, they just do it out of different sets and it's generally based on down and distance. I don't need to see the personnel package of most people to have a good guess as to whether or not they are going to run a draw, crossing routes or a seam/corner concept. With some people I'll wait, but normally it's not necessary.

And defense has never been a problem for my teams. I give up points on turnovers.

Maybe you guys know something about football that I'm totally oblivious to. But I'm not sure a 4-3 defense against 4 wide is something you'd want to expose yourself to.
My corners are pretty good and I usually user control safety. Plus, everyone just runs crossing routes so I like to pack the middle with LB's that I'll control.

eznark

Banned
It's also just makes me feel great when fucking CB makes fun of the way I say orange or just general language, sorry I can't talk like normal people CB, spent years trying to fix it, didn't get much success! Sorry I make some silly spelling mistakes, guess we better just mock me for fucking months on end because it's just a fun thing to do!

Jesus Christ, never been around a group of dudes before?

Because generally I don't care? It's pretty fucking rare someone surprises you in this league. People run like 5 plays, they just do it out of different sets and it's generally based on down and distance. I don't need to see the personnel package of most people to have a good guess as to whether or not they are going to run a draw, crossing routes or a seam/corner concept. With some people I'll wait, but normally it's not necessary.

And defense has never been a problem for my teams. I give up points on turnovers.

My corners are pretty good and I usually user control safety. Plus, everyone just runs crossing routes so I like to pack the middle with LB's that I'll control.
Fair enough. I just would never call a play without prior knowledge because on occasion I've seen someone have 2 WR 2 TE 1 HB sets for several plays and then they'll throw out 4 WR and 1 TE randomly, but sometimes those are predictable. When I play guys with speedy QBs I'm wary of them going the scrambling route when they suddenly spread.

This escalated quickly.
We were due for one of these pow wows. It's been too long!

eznark

Banned
Fair enough. I just would never call a play without prior knowledge because on occasion I've seen someone have 2 WR 2 TE 1 HB sets for several plays and then they'll throw out 4 WR and 1 TE randomly, but sometimes those are predictable. When I play guys with speedy QBs I'm wary of them going the scrambling route when they suddenly spread.

Honestly, and this is true in real football as well (especially if you are confident in your secondary), down and distance is way more informative than personnel packages.

Honestly, and this is true in real football as well (especially if you are confident in your secondary), down and distance is way more informative than personnel packages.
You're right about that, I still like to have my appropriate match ups as much as possible though.

Sokantish

You guys shouldn't pick on BigBoss. Unless you're gonna pick on him for him going for it on fourth down on me. The nerve!
You're right about that, I still like to have my appropriate match ups as much as possible though.

Yeah that's good and all, but I think Madden knows best. He has never led me astray! Plus it just lets me press X constantly instead of having to think about a defense

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
If you think making fun of the way you say orange is bad, you should hear any dota mumble chat. Ferny was furious when I denied him after being doomed that one time!

Sokantish

Who are you playing in the first round? I didn't see the matchups yet.

I played the Chiefs. I'm the Titans this year!

My entire rant was based on every game I've ever had with you. And nobody else!

Not everyone can handle Madden. I don't blame you. But if that were true... I ALWAYS wait for people to pick their play first. Madden wont suggest a defense to you until they do

Somnia

What the hell happened in here.

Started to play around using Safety in my last game instead of dline, didn't go so well. I forsee a lot of issues while I learn it (or LB dunno what's best to use yet personally as I've always just done dline).

eznark

Banned

This seems to matter a lot more than it did in years past so you're probably right. And it's not like I was ever winning in this iteration so I'm probably doing it wrong!

AT is actually helpful to me in DOTA.

Meanwhile the last time I played with Luke the last thing I heard was "Jesus Christ" followed by 30 minutes of complete silence.

Sokantish

Started to play around using Safety in my last game instead of dline, didn't go so well. I forsee a lot of issues while I learn it (or LB dunno what's best to use yet personally as I've always just done dline).

Using LB seems to be a lot more safe for me. You might want to try that instead for a while

eznark

Banned
If you think making fun of the way you say orange is bad, you should hear any dota mumble chat. Ferny was furious when I denied him after being doomed that one time!

JIOPL.png

Someone says they aren't cool with the way someone treats them and your response is "Get over it, you're around humans with a penis..."

Lol not even surprised anymore.

He needs to learn to fly over the insults, like Batrider with spells.

rinse82

Playing safety is way too hard.

MLB all day.

Top Bottom