• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '17 PS4 Online League Thread: DOTA is dead, long live DOTA

I bitch a lot to stir the pot and I know FMT spends minutes a week on this league so I'll chip in and help update the OT.

LEAGUE RULES/GUIDELINES:

0. CUSTOM PLAYBOOKS ARE BANNED! Use regular playbooks from within the game!

1. This is a sim league... to the best of our abilities. Madden is not a very realistic football sim when you get down to it but we have to make the best of it. You are expected to be a willing participant in the league.

2. L-O-FUCKING-L this league is maaaaaaaaagic, ignore rule 1.
pwou69d.gif
pwou69d.gif
pwou69d.gif

brentech

The dice roll should never have happened in the first place, and it wasn't his fault.

But we can't really reset all injuries because of this type of thing. If there was a way to do one injury, that'd be cool, but there are far more players that were injured during actual game time that deserve to be out.

This is inconsequential to the actual point of you can't just reset a random part of the game. You'd have to turn off injuries and retirement and contract negotiations and practically 90% of what makes the franchise mode a franchise mode if everyone was getting upset over a dice roll. You'd just be playing quick matches at some point.

It's not inconsequential at all though.

I feel like you and Claude do this sort of thing every season, you pick some hill to challenge FMT on and make a mountain out of it regardless of what it was and then try to emasculate whoever opposes you in to giving in. At what point do you guys just boot FMT and take power for yourselves so that we don't have to go through this every season?

But we can't really reset all injuries because of this type of thing. If there was a way to do one injury, that'd be cool, but there are far more players that were injured during actual game time that deserve to be out.

To my knowledge, his player is the only one with an injury that will last to the next regular season but I'd have to see the injury list again

I guess you're right about that, but like C. Dallas said in the chat:

"We used to pretend to be a sim league"

I personally don't care for injuries, that's just me. This shit ain't that serious to me, and comparing it to quick matches is hyperbole.

We're a league that hands out 200 million contracts just because we can, so I don't really see a need in trying to be so much like real life. To me the fun in this league comes from playing guys we've been familiar with for years, doing the draft, watching streams, talking shit, etc.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
The dice roll should never have happened in the first place, and it wasn't his fault.

I mean I know I'm super aware of when my game might be simmed (regardless of the circumstances why) and what that means for possible injuries towards my team. I would have asked for the game to be played against the CPU to prevent any additional damage. It's no secret that injury rates skyrocket during a sim.

I feel like you and Claude do this sort of thing every season, you pick some hill to challenge FMT on and make a mountain out of it regardless of what it was and then try to emasculate whoever opposes you in to giving in. At what point do you guys just boot FMT and take power for yourselves so that we don't have to go through this every season?

I would love to not have to run the league! But if I don't it won't exist.

Splat

True, but the plan is to reset in the offseason, when literally only blue's guy won't be recovered by next season anyways. Unless there's other players out through next season that were injured legitimately? If there are, I'd be against a reset (sorry blue), but if literally the only thing this fixes is blue's player then I'm fine with it. And I'm saying that after losing Dalton/Eifert for the playoffs due to playing a second game that I probably shouldn't have needed to.

Dude, you are asking for injuries to be reset. That's ludicrous. The whole point of playing a franchise instead of quick games is progression through the seasons.

I mean I know I'm super aware of when my game might be simmed (regardless of the circumstances why) and what that means for possible injuries towards my team. I would have asked for the game to be played against the CPU to prevent any additional damage. It's no secret that injury rates skyrocket during a sim.

I didn't think playing the CPU was an option we were allowing this season since FMT can now force wins and people abused it in the past.

Dude, you are asking for injuries to be reset. That's ludicrous. The whole point of playing a franchise instead of quick games is progression through the seasons.

I didn't ask for it, FMT offered it because I got screwed. As far as I know my injury is the only one that linger in to next season. And again, if the injury had happened in a game that wasn't simmed I'd live with it. This isn't something I'm asking to make a habit of, it is a one time exemption because of ridiculous circumstances.

brentech

True, but the plan is to reset in the offseason, when literally only blue's guy won't be recovered by next season anyways. Unless there's other players out through next season that were injured legitimately? If there are, I'd be against a reset (sorry blue), but if literally the only thing this fixes is blue's player then I'm fine with it. And I'm saying that after losing Dalton/Eifert for the playoffs due to playing a second game that I probably shouldn't have needed to.

If we can verify that it is literally only blue's player, than whatever, but people were discussing injuries being off just last week. Why even bother.

Asking for 1 injury to be reset sustained in a sim for a game that already finished but for some EA issue is not the same as resetting all injuries mid season or something. But carry on with the outrage!

Splat

What does this affect other than blue's guard? Nothing. (assuming assumption of injuries is correct)

CB3

I didn't think playing the CPU was an option we were allowing this season since FMT can now force wins and people abused it in the past.

I think people have done it this year. But there has never been any rule against it. As I said before, I played somnia a second time this year after i won the first game to avoid playing the CPU (mostly because i find it to be boring. But thats the reality of this game). If he couldnt play again, I would have played the CPU to prevent the sim massacre.

Its a slippery slope, and im combining my knowledge of how things have gone in the past with this league with my predictions on how things are going (see brents post about people wanting injuries off completely for an example) to come out and say this all seems fucking nuts to me.

Asking for 1 injury to be reset sustained in a sim for a game that already finished but for some EA issue is not the same as resetting all injuries mid season or something. But carry on with the outrage!

It's your league friend! You do you. Definitely delete that first rule though. I think it kills any legitimate arguments against turning injuries off. Assuming we cared about consistent arguments which we don't have to in an oligarchy so no worries.

What does this affect other than blue's guard? Nothing. (assuming assumption of injuries is correct)

No problem. I look forward to playing in a magic madden league.

I think people have done it this year. But there has never been any rule against it. As I said before, I played somnia a second time this year after i won the first game to avoid playing the CPU (mostly because i find it to be boring. But thats the reality of this game). If he couldnt play again, I would have played the CPU to prevent the sim massacre.

Its a slippery slope, and im combining my knowledge of how things have gone in the past with this league with my predictions on how things are going (see brents post about people wanting injuries off completely for an example) to come out and say this all seems fucking nuts to me.

Who asked for injuries to be turned off? I don't remember anyone asking for that but maybe I missed it in chat. I remember people wanting injuries toned down (there is a slider) but I don't agree with that either

It's your league friend! You do you. Definitely delete that first rule though. I think it kills any legitimate arguments against turning injuries off though. Assuming we cared about consistent arguments which we don't have to in an oligarchy so no worries.

The first rule should've been deleted years ago when you benched Rodgers after his first incompletion every game

BigAT

This seems like an absurdly odd thing for everyone to get up in arms over, honestly.

Also I can't find my comic strip.

Splat

It's your league friend! You do you. Definitely delete that first rule though. I think it kills any legitimate arguments against turning injuries off. Assuming we cared about consistent arguments which we don't have to in an oligarchy so no worries.

I forgot that in the real NFL sometimes Roger Goodell forgets to record a result and makes the teams play again. I guess we should do that randomly to maintain sim. How does "Fix one injury" equate to "can't have injuries now!" The strawman is incredible.

I forgot that in the real NFL sometimes Roger Goodell forgets to record a result and makes the teams play again. I guess we should do that randomly to maintain sim. How does "Fix one injury" equate to "can't have injuries now!" The strawman is incredible.

The argument against turning injuries off is that we like season to season progression. We usually like it but sometimes not apparently so what the hell, it's be more fun if guys never got injured.

I just hope FMT's boy loses a key fumble at some point so we can get rid of those too.

CB3

Just for reference, we're talking about a 75 overall guard that will miss maybe 8 games.

This will probably be my last post on the matter because it already felt like a giant waste of time BEFORE I discovered we're talking about a mid 70's offensive guard.

Bread

Banned
Me and Blue played a full game, there were no serious injuries and there were no issues. We got to the post game menu and I left my PS4 there without quitting, forgetting that EA doesn't record games until you quit to the franchise menu.

If it's possible to make him healthy again then I think you should do it as long as it's not fucking with the rest of the league.

Just for reference, we're talking about a 75 overall guard that will miss maybe 8 games.

This will probably be my last post on the matter because it already felt like a giant waste of time BEFORE I discovered we're talking about a mid 70's offensive guard.

He was a rookie this season and the highest rated offensive lineman on my team.

DCX

DCX

Blue, I will trade you one in the offseason.

DCX

Splat

The argument against turning injuries off is that we like season to season progression. We usually like it but sometimes not apparently so what the hell, it's be more fun if guys never got injured.

I just hope FMT's boy loses a key fumble at some point so we can get rid of those too.

What does resetting one injury have to do with either liking/not liking season to season progression? I can't even figure out what your argument is enough to try and tell you how dumb it is.

Me and Blue played a full game, there were no serious injuries and there were no issues. We got to the post game menu and I left my PS4 there without quitting, forgetting that EA doesn't record games until you quit to the franchise menu.

If it's possible to make him healthy again then I think you should do it as long as it's not fucking with the rest of the league.

None of my games have ever been recorded apparently.

What does resetting one injury have to do with either liking/not liking season to season progression? I can't even figure out what your argument is enough to try and tell you how dumb it is.
It's a wonder it made it this far.

Somnia

On to real matters, no draft till Sunday the 6th at least right?!?! :)

Trying to keep up while on vacation so I can remote in for FA.

Top Bottom