• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden 2005 Thread

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
quick question.

Unless im totally blind the is no way to change the control layout? i went to the options but there are no preset layouts like in the previous maddens. i hate sprinting with B.

effzee

yeah the gamcube version didnt ship till this afternoon although my gamestop was selling out of it pretty fast also. when i went there they had like 15 copies left and there were two guys behind me who also got it for the gamecube. im sure it will sell adeuate considering EA pimping gamecube in most of its commercials now.

anyway i think i like gamestop better then EB. not just cause of the pre order idiocy but because everytime i go there im told things to do. like "get the xbox, not the gamecube"...or get the ps2 version game A instead of for the cube. yeah i know there are clueless gamers out there who might need help but i dont need to be lectured by thier tastes everytime i go. the gamestop i go to doesnt tell me shit till i ask. last yr i bought madden from EB and i was told to buy nfl2k4, and i was like no thanks but the lady wouldnt leave me alone about how much better it is. STFU already.

ShadowRed

Banned
ColdBlooded33 said:
quick question.

Unless im totally blind the is no way to change the control layout? i went to the options but there are no preset layouts like in the previous maddens. i hate sprinting with B.

You can't dude, sorry, get used to the B button.

Sonsabitches! Well, EA Store may not get any copies at all!
sad-smiley-021.gif
Key word is may... My boy checks again for me tomorrow, but I should pick up a copy, full price or discounted, by the weekend.

EDIT: Even the EA Store at EA HQ ran out of copies for Madden 2005. 30 minute wait! INSANE! My buddy said he never expected anything like this, and he's going to check in the morning for me, haha...

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
WOOT,my copy shipped from gamestop.com,will have it by 3pm eastern today :D

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
ShadowRed said:
You can't dude, sorry, get used to the B button.

its a shame. i really like the rest of the game. the controls on offence are fine but damn the B buttons really makes it hard for me to play defence.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I was going to get the Xbox version, but since I have ESPN on the Xbox I picked up the PS2 collector's edition. Didn't play much yet...

ShadowRed

Banned
ColdBlooded33 said:
its a shame. i really like the rest of the game. the controls on offence are fine but damn the B buttons really makes it hard for me to play defence.

Yeah it screws me up on D when they changed the sprint to B instead of keeping it on A like the offense. Have no clue what they were thinking.

Miguel

Carter steps back...throws to Johnson....INTERCEPTED BY THE ROOKIE DUNTA ROBINSON

HE'S AT THE 30...

The 20....

15...10...5...ROCK AND ROLL....TOUCHDOWN DUNTA ROBINSON.

Preseason game 1....Texans up, 10-0

Miguel

Jesus Quincy is horrible...

Well, I put it on pro to start off in my first real game.

Time to step it up to all-pro after 5 minutes of play. I figured there may be a mini learning curve or something, since I haven't played 04 in a month or so.

Edit: Guess I can't do that...oh well, after this game it goes back up to all pro

Fifty

I'm playing on all-madden and getting my ass kicked, but I'll turn the corner soon :D

Boller went out for 8 weeks, so I'm using KORDELL to take down D like it ain't no thang.

img6342249.jpg

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
"Boller went out for 8 weeks"

roofles!

Matrix

Yo Mig....whats that I see,David Carr aka Tom Welling playing with?...look at the beautiful game system :p
players_lounge6_slideshow_1.jpg

Miguel

He forgot to bring the PS2 back to the lounge. He left it at home, me and him were playing Madden online last night.

Slo

I just played 2.5 hours of preseason last night to knock off some of my rust. There's still a lot there. :) Anyway, I'm at least competent enough to get beaten online. Anybody up for a game tonight?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Played a couple games last night and ran some DB AI tests after first hearing about it at OS. It seems the DBs are so smart that they know the route the WR is supposed to run (aka psychic). To test it out choose a play and then manually force your WR to run a different route and throw the ball. The DB will chase the route the WR was supposed to run almost everytime. lol

so your two pro football choices regarding DB AI this year are:

madden: spider senses
espn: DB's who literally run around in circles next to the WR while the ball is in the air

Slo

It sucks that the DBs are cheating, but I don't know what else I could have expected. In the real NFL, if a DB makes one misstep, if he get's his momentum going the wrong way, or if he takes inside position when he should have stepped outside, it usually means a wide open receiver and six points. All but the best humans have a hard time making these decisions, and even all-pro CBs make mistakes on a regular basis. How do you automate that? I'd rather see scripting then a rubber banding AI. I don't want to see my WRs running free downfield, only to see the safety run a 1.8 second 40 to bat the ball away at the last second.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I realize it has to be pretty hard to design AI that accounts for all of the possibles in terms of DBs covering WRs and attempting to duplicate what happens in reality. At the same time, finding out that this is the route chosen in Madden is still disappointing. It'd be nice if neither rubber banding or scripting had to be mentioned in regards to the DB AI. But I guess we aint quite there yet so we just have to eat what we're fed :p.

Mrbob

Is the DB AI cheat as bad as NCAA?

I have some vivid examples of spider sense DB AI in NCAA. I tested some routes. For example, I called an outside post to one of my wing receivers. I did this same play from both sides a couple times. The DB would have his back to my QB, but as soon as I hit the button to throw the ball to this receiver the DB would break towards the ball in the direction I'd throw it. I mean, the ball wasn't even out of the QB hand yet. The DB broke for the ball before my wide receiver did and he is supposed to know the route. :/ It was very strange. I checked it a bunch of times in slo mo replays and verified it.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I guess I'll have to see if the spider sense bothers me. I like ESPN gameplay better in genberal but the DB AI pissed me off this year, causing me to buy Madden. I just couldn't take the constant 80 yard TD passes by the CPU because my DB was checking out the cheerleaders, driven delirious, and then running in circles.

I'd like to hear FMT's comments on this year's game.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Whoa, whoa--Madden's getting a free pass for this? As in, it's too tough to figure out realistic DB AI so this is acceptable? EA, a multi-billion dollar company, and this is their best solution? This is the supposedly most advanced AI in years??? *Argh*

Slo

It's not a free pass, it's just not that HUGE of a problem. AI in games is not about doing everything perfectly, it's about doing things just imperfectly enough to pass for human. Unfortunetaly, they missed the mark by a bit, but on the whole the DB behavior is very convincing, imo.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
i think that VC and sega can really make up for the DB AI, by releasing roster updates with all the DB's skills raised to a certain level, I read on a message board that a guy did that with his DB's and now the pass defense is ALOT better... Sega listens , so I can see them patching this... I will be checking out madden tonight to see what all the fuss is about...

PS

Sega isnt innocent of the spidey sense neither though....

case in point... What ever way I am running they will stack the line... now when I see that I go and audible out to a passing play and all the defense MIRACULOUSLY change their formation and get into pass defense..... and my damn formation stayed the same.... that really gets me sometimes.....

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Miguel said:
He forgot to bring the PS2 back to the lounge. He left it at home, me and him were playing Madden online last night.

Dude, the PS2 gets play only when the X-Box is tied up. That is usually when the Halo crew comes in.

MiG, go get the powa of X!!!!

PhatSaqs

Banned
Malleymal said:
Sega isnt innocent of the spidey sense neither though....

case in point... What ever way I am running they will stack the line... now when I see that I go and audible out to a passing play and all the defense MIRACULOUSLY change their formation and get into pass defense..... and my damn formation stayed the same.... that really gets me sometimes.....

Yeah. I think they learned that from EA. lol. I've always though it was retarded how if you flip a play in Madden/NCAA, the defensive players will beat the offensive players to the opposite sides and wait for them to line up. I guess it prevents peeps from abusing this and snapping the ball before the D gets in position. But it still looks retarded.

Fifty said:
I had an awful, awful punt return where I didn't call a fair catch, Brightful bent over to catch the short kick...putting his head down, and DM ran in and used to the hit stick to just KILL poor little Brightful, causing a fumble and scoring a TD on the play. Awesome stuff, even if it didn't go his way.

In my first game I had the Ravens play Atlanta, and Brightful fumbled both his first kickoff and his first punt reception…THIS GAME IS SOOOO REAL!!!!!!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I must say this though, I played on all madden (as Spin 16 suggested) and I must be honest, the db's in this game cheat. I noticed it right off the bat. If I call a corner route and there is cover 2, the corner and the receiver are locked 1 on 1 with the safeties providing help covering there side of the field. If I drop back and read that the safety is not in a cover 2 based on his movement at the snap of the ball and I called a corner route then I should have 1 on 1 coverage, well, in this game if I throw to the 1 on 1 receiver the safety jets from the dead center of the field to hit the ball down before the corner that is covering does, how in the hell is that possible? I replayed it and sure enough the db are super fast, so this is not really coverage, but rather programming to make db ai seem smarter, so it misleading to say the the db intelligence is good, it is programmed to jump plays, that to me is not good db intelligence. It is a slick way to make passing seem harder.

How can reviews continue to praise the "miraculous" DB AI yet not make one mention of this? I don't get it. :-/

citan

ESPN NFL 2k5 kicks Madden's ass any day of the week, as far as I'm concerned. This years madden is much worse than last years madden, and I though last years madden was actually pretty decent. This year, hands down ESPN rules the field.

Ristamar

I didn't have time to break in my copy last night.

So has anyone encountered any weird bugs as bad as some of these yet? If I find out there are serious stat bugs, I'm going to be very disappointed.

TigerKnee

Ramirez said:
TigerKnee,instead of rolling your eyes please do tell how ESPN is sooo much better ;)

I never said ESPN was better. But to say that Madden "just overall beats the living shit out of ESPN" is going a little overboard. Both games are good. None beats the living shit out of the other.

Hence the :rolleyes:

Fifty

So far I have to say that I really dislike the running game. It's not bad once you're in the open field, the tackling and blocking is fine, better than ESPN even...but when you're behind the LOS and you get stuck on a blocker, it's just a shitty feeling, and it happens way too often. Maybe I'm just not good enough at hitting the holes, but it just feels weak.

I get my copy of CE tonight. Only one copy per EA employee, haha... 30 minute wait, AGAIN.

As for the running game, stop running with turbo/sprint right off the block. Wait for the hole to appear, manuever, THEN sprint. Your running game will improve.

Ramirez

Yea you gotta learn when to sprint and when not too.

And Tiger,its my opinion,as far as a game of realistic football goes,Madden leaves ESPN in the dust.Im not saying ESPN isn't fun,but as a whole it leaves alot to be desired.

Fifty

Madden + Bill Simmons = This

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/cowbell/040811

:D

You can lose your confidence pretty quickly. In one exhibition game against the Eagles, backup QB Rohan Davey (the Dan Marino of NFL Europe) came in for me and tossed up a 6-for-29 with 3 INT's. He did everything but take a giant dump at midfield.

And we miss Video Pat Summerall more than words can express ... those random moments when Video Pat suddenly belted out, Bone-yall... with the kickoff. Instead of having Pat filling in for ESPN this fall, couldn't they just use Video Pat and do everything with CGI? Would anyone be against this?

.. things we thought the game was missing:

1. A feature where we could play chess against noted chess aficianadio LaVar Arrington. You know, just to have it.

When you go for it on fourth down and Video Madden makes those snide comments like "I don't know what they're thinking here -- I wouldn't do it," you should be allowed to subtly electroshock him.

Matrix

I just got the game an hour ago and holy shit do I suck,I totally forgot how to play after playing soooo much epsn.

*goes off to read instructions and watch vids*

DMczaf

3. They should add the random heartbeat/unsteady controller combo for big plays, like how they do it in the "Tiger Woods" games. And the pace of the heartbeat/unsteadiness should vary depending on the player. Like, if you're playing the Colts, and you're controlling Peyton Manning on a fourth down in the fourth quarter, the controller should be jumping around in your hands like you're trying to hold on to a freshwater marlin.

LOL!

Wanna play Matrix?

Matrix

Hells noes! I dont know how to hot route,use playmakers,any shit on D...only thing I have down is the hitstick so far,I dont care if I lose to you.....I just want to atleast play a respectable game and I dont have the controls down yet.

I will by tonight.

Slo said:
Isn't it a bit awkward that an ESPN columnist is pimping Madden 2005?

So you're willing to go against editorial integrity for corporate flag waving? ;)

And no one was complaining when Konami had the ESPN franchise...

Slo

No, but saying things around the watercooler and saying them publicly are two different things. Sometimes it's better to say nothing at all.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Man I was playing the CE version and one of the Madden Moments is the 1998 playoff game between the Giants and the Vikings. I have to lead the Vikings to victory against the Giants.

I remember that game distinctly. I had to go to the orthodontist that day and I listened to it on the radio on the way home. The Giants had a comfortable lead going into the fourth and I was stoked, I smelled round 2 of the playoffs in the air. Got home and caught the tail end of the game. The Vikings staged their comeback... I watched and cried in agony as Chris Calloway fumbled an onside kick and the Vikings recovered. They would drive down the field and score, putting the Giants away for good.

It ranks up there with the loss to the 49ers in the playoffs. Man I can't believe EA is putting me through this one. Fuck you, John Madden.

Top Bottom