• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden 2005 Thread

kroutdogg

I just bought madden and the network adapter. Please tell me most of you have the ps2 version so i can start getting my ass handed to me by some GAF members tonight.

DMczaf

Im finally starting to get my offense in gear online. 6-2 record!

And so far Madden 2005's online launch is the best ever. Not one problem.

Bowser

Hey, someone simulate a season and find out what you get as a prediction for the Super Bowl. ESPN's Page 3 simulated a season and got Pats over Bucs 24-13 in the Super Bowl.

#

CAN MADDEN OFFER ANY INSIGHTS INTO THE 2005 SEASON?
It doesn't hurt to ask, and so I simulated the entire 2005 season, letting the computer do the work, all the way through the Super Bowl, which had the defending-champion Patriots over the Buccaneers, 24-13.

Some notables from the simulated season:

# New Redskins RB Clinton Portis was the NFL MVP, with 1,598 yards rushing and 12 TDs for Washington, which went 12-4 in the regular season.

# The Eagles missed the playoffs, but the Giants -- they of the 70 overall rating -- went 10-6, earning a wild-card berth before getting slaughtered, 56-14, by the Bucs. Kurt Warner threw 16 TDs, while Eli Manning threw for just five. So you see where the computer stands on the debate.

# The Raiders -- another of the worst-rated teams in the game -- advanced to the AFC championship game behind Kerry Collins' NFL-leading 34 regular-season touchdown passes. That has as much chance of happening as finding $1 million in cash in your refrigerator.

LOL @ Iggles missing the playoffs

Miguel

Bowser said:
Hey, someone simulate a season and find out what you get as a prediction for the Super Bowl. ESPN's Page 3 simulated a season and got Pats over Bucs 24-13 in the Super Bowl.

LOL @ Iggles missing the playoffs

Heh, I may do this later. After my ...wait, I already finished my week 1 game. Good lord that was fucking awesome.

Texans 14 Chargers 9. Chargers take the ball 70 yards down field and get a 10 yard pass to Gates. Then they fail on the 2 pt conversion. Texans 14, Chargers 15. I get the kickoff return, and go 4 and out at the 50. Chargers ball. First down, first down. 2 yard gain. Time out. 3 yard gain. Timeout. 1 yard gain. Fourth down. FG.

Texans 14, Chargers 18. Kickoff is a squib kick. Ugh, starting at the 10 yard line cause Davis and Moses couldn't field the ball and Joppru had to come and land on it. First down bomb to Bradford on the sidelines, goes out of bounds. 20 seconds left. Out route to Johnson at the 30. Johnson catches the ball and is pushed out of bounds...RULED INCOMPLETE....!@#$%^&. 2nd and 10. Then, I complete a pass to the 41. Hurry up with about 10 seconds left. 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4...ball snapped. Johnson goes deep. Carr overthrows....Johnson burns Quentin Jammer....in the endzone....CAUGHT!!!! TOUCHDOWN!!!!! TEXANS WIN!!! TEXANS WIN!!! 20-18!

I proceeded to miss the PAT. BUT TEXANS STILL WINNNNNN!!!

Ramirez

I was gonna say that if your having trouble with completing passes,try to push the stick where you want to place the ball when you throw.Just hitting the button doesn't work...maybe your already doing this and Im wasting your time! :p

kroutdogg said:
I just bought madden and the network adapter. Please tell me most of you have the ps2 version so i can start getting my ass handed to me by some GAF members tonight.

It's XBox, but, there are some folks that did pick up the PS2 version, myself included. Go to the PS2 Buddy List and add your name. Also, for the XBox players, go to the XBoxLive Madden GamerTag List and post away.

I'm playing on All-Pro, which is the online standard IIRC and I don't really see the DB Spidey Sense AI you guys are saying. They're good, but I use playmaker to shake them off if necessary. That, and I recognize the defenses better now.

My eventual rundown of the game later this weekend.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Yeah you're right. I dont see it as much in head to head play. Mainly against the CPU. But now lets talk about the friggin lack of Pass Interference calls. What the hell is this all about? The DBs can MUG the WRs in this game. lol.

Maybe this is the reason that people think Madden's graphics are better. There's not constant framerate change between gameplay and in between gameplay graphics. That's been really irritating in ESPN, especially now and then when the in between graphics is actually 60. I really like how Madden is constantly 60 fps and not shifting between 30 and 60. I dare say that if you watch it enough, ESPN is more 30 than 60.

Playing my first game of Madden now. Wow, the presentation is horrible compared to ESPN, as are the graphics. Presentation seems even worse than the last Madden I owned (2003). The gameplay definitely doesn't flow as well as ESPN either. ESPN just has the perfect feel. Too bad the small bugs are bringing it down.

Anyway, back to Madden. Anyone want to play an unranked game or two later, while I'm still getting the hang of it?

Marty Chinn said:
I dare say that if you watch it enough, ESPN is more 30 than 60.

All gameplay is 60fps in ESPN. Only time there is slowdown is when a lot of graphics come up on the screen (i.e. after a play has been finished). I don't find it annoying at all. Hell, it is worth it. Look at ESPN, and then look at Madden. World of difference between the two graphic wise.

Cerebral Palsy said:
All gameplay is 60fps in ESPN. Only time there is slowdown is when a lot of graphics come up on the screen (i.e. after a play has been finished). I don't find it annoying at all. Hell, it is worth it. Look at ESPN, and then look at Madden. World of difference between the two graphic wise.

Right, all the gameplay is 60 fps, but all the in between gameplay is 30 and I was saying it's possible it's running more in 30 fps mode than 60 fps mode. Cuz dealing with all the replays, the in between stuff while picking plays, etc, the total time of it running 30 fps is more often than 60 fps. It's really annoying. I need to get my hands on the xbox version of Madden to do a fair comparison. Only have ESPN for Xbox and Madden for PS2 right now. I will say I think I prefer a constant framerate over one that changes all the time.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Marty Chinn said:
Right, all the gameplay is 60 fps, but all the in between gameplay is 30 and I was saying it's possible it's running more in 30 fps mode than 60 fps mode. Cuz dealing with all the replays, the in between stuff while picking plays, etc, the total time of it running 30 fps is more often than 60 fps. It's really annoying. I need to get my hands on the xbox version of Madden to do a fair comparison. Only have ESPN for Xbox and Madden for PS2 right now. I will say I think I prefer a constant framerate over one that changes all the time.

LOL Can the ESPN backlash get any better? Unreal. This is the 1st time I have ever heard this one--the game running more at 30fps than 60fps.

Edit:

Ah, man, I don't wanna get in a pissing war over this but that one was out there, Marty. Either way, nitpicking like this will only drive me nuts so I'll stay out of this thread as of now.

So I'm watching most of the cameos and 2 things crack me up:

1. Julian Peterson saying that he's in the game

2. Bucs fans trying their hardest to create a Black Hole like atmosphere

if i lose one more game by 7 points or less i'm going to rape myself. i feel like im getting screwed every game! i have to earn my drives, slowly mixing run and pass to work my way downfield. then my opponent pops me for a one play drive cause i have man coverage on faulk (who is overrated as a motherfucker in this game). no more single digit losses for me! i'm either going to win, or lose by 40!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
FrenchMovieTheme said:
if i lose one more game by 7 points or less i'm going to rape myself. i feel like im getting screwed every game! i have to earn my drives, slowly mixing run and pass to work my way downfield. then my opponent pops me for a one play drive cause i have man coverage on faulk (who is overrated as a motherfucker in this game). no more single digit losses for me! i'm either going to win, or lose by 40!

Same way for me man. It takes a lot of work to get downfield and then it feels as if my opponent is just literally picking my D apart. :( So helpless. :(

Miguel

Holy shit it's impossible to get Gold on Ground attack (2nd level, Pro) with Clinton Portis. I don't know if the LB/DBs are just really fast...or is Portis' speed like 2. He'll have a sudden burst every 5-6 rushes where he'll run like normal, but the rest of the time he just runs like he's Jerome Bettis. Without plowing people over.

Miguel

Wellington said:
Same way for me man. It takes a lot of work to get downfield and then it feels as if my opponent is just literally picking my D apart. :( So helpless. :(

Wow, my D is doing pretty good usually. Although my Texans are regular chokers...I usually keep the game close. I try not to go for long bombs unless it's late and I'm down. I <3 Andre Johnson

Bowser

YES I GOT MADDEN 2005 PS2!!

Sadly, I did not get the CE because they were sold out :(

Now all I need is a Network Adapter and learn how to set up online play :/

edit: What level should I start off with? I'm not great, but I'm not bad at Madden, so I want something that challenges me, but not something that will suck the fun out of playing.

The gamestop on the corner here has a boatload of PS2 Madden CEs.

Anyway, I have been slaughtering the cpu, so I decide to play Drey in an unranked game... I got owned. I still miss fieldgoals about 60% of the time. I need some practice.

CP why do you not want to play a ranked game? i hate to play games that aren't recorded at all. i dont care about winning and losing in regards to the matter, i just want the game to count on my record. unranked games are pointless, whether you know how to play or not

FrenchMovieTheme said:
CP why do you not want to play a ranked game? i hate to play games that aren't recorded at all. i dont care about winning and losing in regards to the matter, i just want the game to count on my record. unranked games are pointless, whether you know how to play or not

Just want some practice before I start playing ranked games. I'm just not used to Madden. I can barely even make extra points.

Bowser said:
Now all I need is a Network Adapter and learn how to set up online play :/

edit: What level should I start off with? I'm not great, but I'm not bad at Madden, so I want something that challenges me, but not something that will suck the fun out of playing.

Let us know when you're setup. It's pretty easy, but if you need help, let me know and I'll send you a PM on setup or something... Hope you have a router...

Go with Pro first. Rookie is just horrible, balls will float over LBs heads and they won't pick it off. It's good to get familiar first, and then eventually, move up to All-Pro because that's the online AI default.

And run through the mini-camp! Good stuff that will train you to be a better player.

EDIT: Oh man, I need to work on my offense. It's such a different offensive game with 2005. Wellington and I just had an epic game, scoreless first half, and into the 4th, it was 3-0 Giants. A solid drive by the Raiders made it 7-3. Then CK scored with :43 secs on the clock to make it Giants 10, Raiders 7. Then Rich Gannon said enough of this shit and bombed it for a TD with :07 secs left in the game! EPIC!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Ramirez said:
GG Matrix,it was total luck on both of our parts that we even scored :p

Gun killed me :(

GG man,it was so stupid of me to blitz on that last play,I took a stupid chance and it cost me the game :(

Bowser

Good g-d is this game hard. I am ABSOLUETLY horrible at Defense and Running the ball. The vaunted Carolina 99 Defense got torched for 5 TDs and a FG in my preseason game with the 'Skins, while I only managed a FG and a single TD. I was very pissed off and very close to just giving up and not playing. I yelled myself hoarse.

My second preseason game tho, was MUCH better. I got some semblence of a running game going (50 yds combined by three backs [actually, that's horrible :/]), but my passing game was awesome. Jake Delhomme went 14 of 19 for 256 yds and 4 TDs (passer rating: 155.6) and Rodney Peete got a passer rating of 99.0 even though he only threw 2 TDs and had 3 INTs. I beat the Giants 49-28. What I do now on D is either grab Kris Jenkins or Julius Peppers and just hit O (to shove) and either R1 or L1 to slash right/left. I can't play LB or CB (tried that in the 'Skins game with HORRIBLE results). I have no idea how to even use the Hit Stick :/

I hate running in this game. I am horrible and it pisses me off because Carolina is known for running but here I am avg like 1.5 YAC and avg 20 YAC with the likes of Steve Smith, Ricky Proehl, Mushin Muhammad, and Keary Colbert.

Overall, I'm kinda disapointed that I suck :/ I did go through training camp; I did pretty good on the rushing one, and most of the pass ones, but did horrible on most of the defensive ones (mostly cause I would do good and risk my points until all-pro level and then not get any points :/). I did good the the Trench Fight one though, but I also lost my points because of the aforementioned reason.

If I ever do get online set-up (when I get a network adapter), I'm sure I would be slaughtered countless times. BTW, I do have a Belkin router; hope that works.

Bowser

Cerebral Palsy said:
Are you Jewish?

Umm...no...?

edit: if you're referring to the "g-d" part, I just do that so as not to offend anyone who doesn't like seeing
god
spelled out. I'm nice :p

DJ_Tet

Banned
Bowser said:
I hate running in this game. I am horrible and it pisses me off because Carolina is known for running but here I am avg like 1.5 YAC and avg 20 YAC with the likes of Steve Smith, Ricky Proehl, Mushin Muhammad, and Keary Colbert.

Overall, I'm kinda disapointed that I suck :/ I did go through training camp; I did pretty good on the rushing one, and most of the pass ones, but did horrible on most of the defensive ones (mostly cause I would do good and risk my points until all-pro level and then not get any points :/). I did good the the Trench Fight one though, but I also lost my points because of the aforementioned reason.

Running in this game takes practice. I had my first 100 yd game with Stephen Davis but it took 26 carries and a 41 yd rush. The 41 yd TD felt AWESOME cause I had to earn it with solid blocking. If you could rush for 150 yds every game, the 41 yd TD wouldn't feel nearly as good.

As far as training camp, turn off auto-save, and reload ;)

Fifty

I just got my first online trophy :D Level one INT trophy, and I'm so proud of it :p I didn't think any of us would get one, but I have paved the way for greatness, gentlemen!

I just practice like a mad man when it comes to running. It's really patience and play calling. Some plays I will get shut down by a stellar line, and then I'll run a counter and get 20+ yards. Know your running back, does he like to go east/west or barrelling though the front line?

My offense is starting to improve, but once I get to regular season games, it's domination!

Fifty said:
I just got my first online trophy :D Level one INT trophy, and I'm so proud of it :p I didn't think any of us would get one, but I have paved the way for greatness, gentlemen!

How many picks did you have in the game? or was it by how many total you've picked off?

Bowser

The two preseason games actually don't matter, because they weren't saved. I lost my Memory Card and I need to find it :p I was just playing for some practice.

Fifty

WasabiKing said:
How many picks did you have in the game? or was it by how many total you've picked off?

I'm sure that it keeps track of how many you have in your career (But it doesn't list that stat!), and then gives you trophies based on your totals. It's a shame you can't see how close you are to one, but I don't mind.

andthebeatgoeson

Well, finally picked it up today, and played nonstop over the past 6 hours. I got it for Xboxen and will try to set up live tomorrow a.m. I'm upset that I'll have to find a new name and put all you guys onto my friends list, again, since I let it expire. The stupid thing is my name isn't available. Nobody else can touch it, so it's lost in space, apparently. Why not just open it up? Stupid MS. Unless some other ass decided to go with skinnyrattler but that's so out there.

Ristamar

Miguel said:
Holy shit it's impossible to get Gold on Ground attack (2nd level, Pro) with Clinton Portis. I don't know if the LB/DBs are just really fast...or is Portis' speed like 2. He'll have a sudden burst every 5-6 rushes where he'll run like normal, but the rest of the time he just runs like he's Jerome Bettis. Without plowing people over.

Yeah, that one took me like 15 or 20 minutes to finish. Damn frustrating.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
just played a game online against the panthers. Got 9 picks.
lewis_michael_04.jpg

"Stop drinking the hatorade bitches"

Miguel

Ristamar said:
Yeah, that one took me like 15 or 20 minutes to finish. Damn frustrating.

TOOK ME DAMN NEAR THREE HOURS!

Jesus...lol. I only barely got through too. I thought I would be fine with getting 5 TDs...well, I got 5 TDs...finally...

I look at the score...

1930. NOOOOOO I NEED 2 YARDS TO GO....thank god the clock stops when you get a Touchdown. I had like .89 left.

bob_arctor said:
LOL Can the ESPN backlash get any better? Unreal. This is the 1st time I have ever heard this one--the game running more at 30fps than 60fps.

Edit:

Ah, man, I don't wanna get in a pissing war over this but that one was out there, Marty. Either way, nitpicking like this will only drive me nuts so I'll stay out of this thread as of now.

Well it is if you factor watching all the replays, watching the little bits of in between animation stuff that they do, the fans, etc. They're showing the game while you're picking plays too. All that occurs at least as much as you're playing the game itself.

I'm only putting it out there as a reason why some automatically think Madden's graphics are much better. It's because it's constantly the same smooth frame rate where as ESPN is consantly switching back and forth. It's a bit irritating in the visual appeal of ESPN, but hardly enough to really put down the game. I didn't really think of this as backlash, jsut a possible explaination. I currently own ESPN, and not Madden. Still debating if I should pick Madden up. I'll have to play it some more to decide.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
CP I have played other people and we can always challenge,did you some how turn something off when you set up the game :\

That was the stupidest bs game I have ever played,we both got fucked over...atleast you got the win,ughhh.

Fifty-

I got a sky thief award now :p I played some guy after you who was using the Jets and I had 7 ints.

Matrix said:
CP I have played other people and we can always challenge,did you some how turn something off when you set up the game :\

That was the stupidest bs game I have ever played,we both got fucked over...atleast you got the win,ughhh.

I didn't change any options. Can you even turn challenges off in online play?

Matrix

Heh now that I think about it you cant...what was that shit,friggin odd.

Miguel

22 of 32 Mini Camp drills completed for gold. 10 to go. :D

I'm missing all of the All-Madden ones, as well as QB Pocket Presence and QB Precision Passing in All-Pro. I've done them by Skill Level, so I'm finishing up with All-Pro right now and will move on to All-Madden.

After I've done all that, I'll go back and complete the Game Situation ones. I haven't tried any yet.

DJ_Tet

Banned
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/football/nfl/carolina_panthers/9388873.htm

Not sure if the link works, you've got to register, but it's an article on Carolina Panthers players playing Madden 2005. It's a fun article to read, but it leads me to a bigger question. We've had the Madden Curse covered on SportsCenter, Bill Simmons writing a column based on it's opening, and at least one local column based on NFL stars (Kris Jenkins, Mike Rucker, Julius Peppers, Steve Smith) playing Madden on or before launch.

I don't know that I've EVER seen more mainstream coverage of a videogame, and I've followed videogames since 1986. I'm off to play my fourth preseason game, so far, with Jistic's sliders (operationsports.com) I'm loving this game.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Miguel said:
22 of 32 Mini Camp drills completed for gold. 10 to go. :D

I'm missing all of the All-Madden ones, as well as QB Pocket Presence and QB Precision Passing in All-Pro. I've done them by Skill Level, so I'm finishing up with All-Pro right now and will move on to All-Madden.

After I've done all that, I'll go back and complete the Game Situation ones. I haven't tried any yet.

I have to say that's pretty damn impressive. I got All Madden kicking with Kasay, but it was mostly luck. With the 7 bonus points though, I was able to take his overall from 91 to 98.

Is there a way/place to keep track of the mini camp drills? I've only ever tried them during a franchise mode. Save/repeat was the model for me, although I got Kasay's trophy in one lucky try.

Top Bottom