• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden 360 Season 9 Thread: A Jgar for All Seasons

BirdBomb

Banned
Good lord my passing game is crap. As is my defense overall...this game will take some getting used to. I think Bulger was 14/30+ barely over 100 yards, o TD, 1 or 2INT against vumpler.

Zep

Banned
BirdBomb said:
Good lord my passing game is crap. As is my defense overall...this game will take some getting used to. I think Bulger was 14/30+ barely over 100 yards, o TD, 1 or 2INT against vumpler.

Thats a disgrace to my team...If you need some tips for St.Louis IM me @ Jackme007.

Andokuky

Banned
If anyone wants to destroy me in a scrimmage hit me up on AIM @ AndoSD or send me a FR on Live at Andowsky, I'll be on Gears.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Ok guys over this next hour it's gonna be last opportunity for me to gather up rivalries for divisions.

So far I've got the following:

rors and lonestar
dm and ck
wellie and livewire

Andokuky

Banned
vumpler said:
Ok guys over this next hour it's gonna be last opportunity for me to gather up rivalries for divisions.

rors and lonestar
dm and ck
wellie and livewire

Uh, Birdbomb and myself (Rams, Broncos). We're brothers and not only would the lag play no factor but I could use the 2 free wins.

AirBrian and myself had a game today and there was no lag problems at all but we're like less than 100 miles away from each other. Once you set these controls to something playable the game is actually not that bad aside from the lame AI in some situations, like anytime the opponent runs the ball.

Is there any way to disguise coverage? Every time I line up on defense my players automatically match up with someone. Is it Y + RT like PS2 is triangle + R2?

DCX

DCX
vumpler said:

rors and lonestar
dm and ck
wellie and livewire
The onlu one i got going on is with FMT :( Malley has my number...and i would love to beat him once and DM would probably love to avenge his first defeat from last season...other than that, not really...

oh maybe Wellie actually. We had some good games.

DCX

vumpler

lol sounds good DCX. I'll see what I can do with those ;) lol. Schedule will be done tomorrow.

BirdBomb

Banned
I had 1 with CB in the ps2 league, and i always seemed to find myself in a win or no playoffs game against wellington...eh. and yes, i lose to ando 90% of the time.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, I too would like a rivalry game against CK ;P

Is Truelize playing, or DaddyZ? Those are 2 of my rivals!

AkaBalla

Who wants to be my rival? Any of you guys that get beat down by me in NBA wanna be my Madden rival..:lol I'm not being a jerk or anything even though i may sound like it but i gotta start my own madden rivalries.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
AkaBalla said:
Who wants to be my rival? Any of you guys that get beat down by me in NBA wanna be my Madden rival..:lol I'm not being a jerk or anything even though i may sound like it but i gotta start my own madden rivalries.

LOL beat down??? ahahahahahah yea maybe you can avenge your loss in the championship if we were rivals..

AkaBalla

I accepted the Derek Fisher beatdown because thats all that was.. Even though it still haunts me on this 9-0 Houston Rockets team..:D

vumpler

Ok guys the schedule is made. Waiting on FMT to get on so we can throw it up on LeagueDaddy.

FMT: Also who's our 24th player? I think you said you had someone in mind but we need someone.

Also I need to know what team sable and what team CP are wanting by tonight.

ok, its up and ready to be worked on. vump, dm, rors: i've set you guys all up as commish as well. that will allow you to do whatever it is that needs to be done.

vump you will need to delete the old schedule in order to make a new one since there are a lot of unplayed games. you can do this 1 of 2 ways:

1. go to "config schedule" and "delete" all the weeks
2. input fake scores on incomplete games, then go to "more" and "seasons" and click on "new season". this is preferred as it would keep the stats/records from season 8. its just time consuming. then again everything is :(

I have updated the rules: http://www.leaguedaddy.com/leagues/rules/?lid=1307

enjoy!

vumpler

Ok guys a few imperative issues need to be straightened out and hopefully we can all press to get these taken care of as soon as possible.

1. I have to know what team Sable wants to be or I will just assign him someone tomorrow temporarily to what I think best fits his playing style.
2. I have to know what team Cerebral palsy wants to be or I will just assign him someone tomorrow temporarily to what I think best fits his playing style.
3. I have to know who our 24th owner is going to be. I think FMT had someone in mind but I believe he must have fallen through. So if anyone knows someone who is going to be a dedicated owner lets get them in here.

Guys if we can aggressively all try to contact these people, we can get this bad boy going on the first. What better way to start out the year than with a GAF league, so lets get it rollin'.

Here are the teams those people have to choose from. This will be first post first serve. Anyone can post for the person if they are banned or just have them message me on AIM: Jason1nk.

All are Open:

Cardinals
Bills
Browns
Packers
Texans
Dolphins
Vikings
Jets
Steelers
49ers
Titans

Some really good teams still left guys. I have the schedule made even without those teams there, I'm just going to wait to finish it until all teams are taken for.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
its the holiday season so it may be tough to contact them two, but I am sure that they will let you know in the next day or two

vumpler

Yep I don't agree with it either. I think anywhere on their 40 yard line should be go for it territory no matter what the circumstances but FMT was a stickler about this and I agree in the sense it completely removes the room for interpretation. Basically you have to change your whole mindset and play only a 3 down game ever. That bugs me because that's never really been my style, but as long as we're all playing by the same rules it is all fair. Some teams moreso than other are setup for a 2 to 3 down moving the chains set where as other have a higher probability of 4th and 1 / inches. Regardless I see both sides of the argument, but under the ruleset FMT has chosen to go with there won't be any heat thrown any direction due to the fact that they went for it on 4th and 1 when the D feels they should have punted.

if there is overwhelming support for going for it on 4th down, then so be it. i'll reverse that rule. the problem is when you say "well it's okay here, but not here, okay here, but not there" then that's where confusion comes in and the "well i didn't know!" excuses. however, if everyone decides that its cool, more power to you!

vumpler

IMHO inside the oppositions 40 is 4th down judgment call territory regardless of the score. If you think you can get it on fourth so be it, but it can back fire really really hard. In the 4th quarter and you're losing 4th downs should be allowed. If it's 4th and inches you should always be allowed to go for it (not 4th and 1.)

But that's just how I see it. I'm not saying I would go for it inside their 40 and I'm winning, but what I am saying is it should be a judgment call and you should be able to be out coached if you are dumb enough to go for it.

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
if there is overwhelming support for going for it on 4th down, then so be it. i'll reverse that rule. the problem is when you say "well it's okay here, but not here, okay here, but not there" then that's where confusion comes in and the "well i didn't know!" excuses. however, if everyone decides that its cool, more power to you!
Yeah, that's true. There should be a clear rule on it, but if someone is down by 20 in the 3rd and it's 4/inches at their goal line, they should be able to go for it. That rule means it won't be possible. That said, I don't think it should ever be done when you're up or in the first quarter at all.

vumpler

Rors can* you leave your AIM on when you're online at least so we can discuss some things. I'll be away the majority of the night with the wife but tomorrow I would like to discuss some things.

vumpler

Happy New Year Gaffers.

Edit: Ok back to business. The following players need to sign up for league daddy at http://www.leaguedaddy.com :

1. livewire
2. chris james
3. tamanon
4. azwethink

Once you're there search for "gaf" and you'll see neo gaf come up. Sign in with the password "alexsmith"

Then private message me telling me your account name and I'll add you to your team. If you are already signed up and on the league please PM me and tell me what your username is on leaguedaddy.

Andokuky

Banned
Yea the 4th down rules seem a little draconian. I was in a PS2 league and the rules are like this:

Cannot go on 4th before you cross the 50 regardless of yardage, unless you are down 20+
From the 50 to the 40 you can only go for it if it's inches
From the 40 to the 35 you can go with 2 yards or less
From the 35 on you must kick a FG unless you are down 20+
4th and goal to go is coaches discretion
Anyone up 20 or more must punt or kick a FG regardless of field position

These worked really well and left no room for interpretation... unless someone uses that fake punt run that almost always works :lol

But it's whatever, I'll abide by the rules no matter what.

LiveWire

Not that I have any say as I'm not an admin, but vumpler and I were discussing it while playing...

I have a problem (as I stated last season) with someone repeatedly going for it whenever they're ahead by any margin, or going for it when they're only behind a TD or less. 4th and inches, 1, or 2 is a much higher probability in Madden than in real football. Real football 4th down conversion rates (in situations where the game is not out of hand) is something like ~20% or less--ESPN the Magazine had an article about this last month. In Madden, it's the opposite; about 20% of the time you'll stop someone.

I propose something similar to Andokuky (sorry about those Broncos btw), but hopefully a little simpler.

1. If you're up by any points margin, you cannot go for it on 4th. period.
2. if you're tied, you can go for it on 4th and goal at the 5 or less, in the 4th quarter only.
3. if you're behind by 14 or more, and at your opponent's 40 yd line or less, you can go for it on 4th and 2 or less (as many times as the situation allows on that drive).

I think that makes it a bit more fair. Anytime above where you can't go for it on 4th you must punt or kick a FG if you're within range.

Speaking of range, what's the longest FG anyone has made in the league?

vumpler

The problem with the 4th down rule, is having to many parameters seems to take away from the coaching strategry. So I would suggest having 2 simple rules but I can't seem to come up with just 2 so I'll list them as few as I can. If it's 4th and inches it's incredibly hard to stop in real life and in madden. Anything past 4th and inches and going for it at any time can really be a momentum shifter. Last season we had a few getting depressed after someone went for it on 4th and 1 or 2 in the first half when they were losing. This is what we're aiming to prevent here. Sometimes if you can't get things rolling on offense it feels like you need to go for it to get the momentum in your favor and I understand that. It's just giong to be a hard decision what we go with.

If we were going by an attempt to make this as fair as possible I would it should go:

1. 4th and inches are go for it territory every time
2. Between the oppositions 40-30 is go for it territory at any time
3. 4th and goal is a judgment call at all times.
4. Down by greater than 21 in the third or anytime in the 4th is always go for it territory.

For the most part I believe the player will make the right decision 3 out of 5 times because they want to win. It's all about out coaching the other player and taking some risks. 4th and goal is a great example of risk vs benefit. Either take your 3 or go for 7. Sometimes it feels like failure settling for 3 when in all actuality that is not the case. All points are good points, but its impossible to feel that way when you just worked a 20 play drive down the field to get stopped on the 5.

The 40-30 yard range is tough because some kickers can hit it, and other can't. A punt sometimes seems useless because you can feel ok with other opponent start from around their 30-40. Anywhere else on the field and not in one of those designated area's should wholeheartedly be a 4th and 1 punt/fg situation.

BTW 56 yards was the longest in last season.

BirdBomb

Banned
i don't like the 4th down inside the 40 rule, that's way too easy to accomplish. I say inside the 10 it's 4th and 1 only, and if you're inside the 5 then go for it whenever. I personally hate playing someone and holding them on my 40 on 3rd and short to bring up 4th and 1 or inches, just to have them run a FB dive and get 1.1 yard, or 1.1 inch to get the 1st. i don't know, i haven't seen it happen in real life enough to like the rule. I've seen more 4th down attempts inside the 5 to remember them all.

If you're between 30-40, take the risk of missing a FG, or play field position and punt it. I don't like the way college does it, and everyone just goes for it on 4th down b/c they can't hit a FG. kickers in this game have PLENTY of leg to hit a 50 yard FG.

BirdBomb

Banned
1. 4th and inches are go for it territory every time
2. Between the oppositions 40-30 is go for it territory at any time

That seems too lobby game-ish to me. i personally have a lot of D stands that end in a 4th and inches standoff. like you said, it's VERY easy to pick up a 4th down. I agree the real life it's pretty easy to pick up a 4th and inches, but here in madden, every tackle animation pushes the runner forwards at least 2-3 yards. Not to mention the FB dive is by far the easiest, most used play to pick up a 4th. I don't know, i think making it 4th and inches ANYWHERE would ruin the game for me.

vumpler

I definitely understand where you're coming from and that's why the rule is set to no 4th downs unless you're losing in the 4th.

I can see all sides of the issue and am happy with whatever we settle on.

Maybe something to accommodate more people would be:

1. Inside the oppositions 30 if it's 4th and inches it's user discretion.
2. Anywhere in 4th a goal it's user discretion.
3. Trailing in the 4th quarter, user discretion.

Maybe this would appeal to more people.

It's key to keep in mind we don't have to change the rules from the way FMT has set them. It makes it incredibly easier to commission if we use that rule set. If a change is in order it is because we feel that there should be some parameters for 4th down conversion attempts. I think the 3 I have just listed would appease more people.

BirdBomb

Banned
i think if we were to do a "inside ## yard line, it's your choice" should be the 20. If you're on the 26 yard line, 4th and 1...kick the FG. I've never in my life watched, or heard of a team passing on 3 points like that. Inside the 20..ehh....i can kinda understand that, but nothing near the 40 or 30. that's obvious FG range.

hgplayer1

I personally like the no 4th down conversion attempts until the 4th qtr. Theres really not enough time in the game and allowing 4th down attempts any other time during the game can really discourage the defense when you have a series of downs where you call your D perfectly only to have it all go down the drain because 4th down gets converted.

I can understand how it might change the way everyone plays because if youre on D you know you only have to get the other player to 4th down and youll get the ball back no matter what happens.

On offense it makes those 3 plays that much more critical. IMO though thats the way it should be at least during most of the game.

I still wouldnt want to see a team thats winning be allowed to go for it on 4th down in the 4th qtr but at that point both teams have had plenty of oppurtunities and every down is critical.

Even without the rules everyone should be fair to each other and know when its right to punt or take the FG and when its ok to go for it, unfortunately not everyone knows that or wants to be fair to their opponents.

Rorschach

Here are my sleep deprived thoughts:

-No going for it in the first half.

-3rd quarter: If you are down by 21 points or more, you can go for it inside opponent territory as long as it's a short yardage situation. Short goaline situations: user discretion.

-4th quarter: Only if you are trailing.

I would be willing to try FMT's rule for a few weeks and see how it goes. It's strict, but that way there are no excuses and no loose ends. It's pretty clear cut.

Top Bottom