• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden Season 12 Thread: Welcome Playstation 3 Overlords!

Where do you want this league to be run?

Results are only viewable after voting.

LukeSmith

Matrix said:
So which one of you bitches do I need to hire to fill in my game stats....

I just at this moment came down with a bad case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Didn't we have to turn folks away from the league for being full? I'm there's plenty of folks out there who'd love to enjoy gaming with Insomniac's Bryan "Boutros Boutros" Intihar. FMT can advertise your spot in the next Insomniac Podcast thread. ;b

Rorschach

DMczaf said:
We should have never went against The Family.

There's no way to escape it :(
4t21sh.jpg

LJ11

DMczaf said:
Nothing is more strip down than the MLB 08 The Show Leagues. NOTHING! It was barely even a league, it was like Sony was just keeping track of standings with paper and pencil and calling it a day :lol

It was pretty bad, but it had stats! :lol

Cloudy

Banned
Got an email from Amazon saying I'd be getting it on release day. $10 off plus free Amazon Prome sure is cool :D

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
LukeSmith said:
Didn't we have to turn folks away from the league for being full? I'm there's plenty of folks out there who'd love to enjoy gaming with Insomniac's Bryan "Boutros Boutros" Intihar. FMT can advertise your spot in the next Insomniac Podcast thread. ;b

:lol

:lol @ the banner

Zep

Banned
seems the stats problem has been solved...

Now for the scheduling to be figured out...If it even can.

GCQuinton

From the way Pasta Padre describes it on his site, it sounds like a straight up round-robin league setup, so yeah everybody plays everybody by design. Unless they plan on adding another type of setup to the league, that's probably how it's going to be. So in that sense, yeah, it is a glorified tournament.

Mrbob

Fux you Tiburon. :/

Kush 2.0 strikes back.

Hell, at least Kush had real league setup for their games.

Seriously, how do you fail this badly at creating a league? It isn't like the NFL is reinventing itself year over year with its playoff setup!

League Daddy is back for one more year?? :/

eznark

Banned
bob, I am far too busy to play in a league, but I do look forward to beating the shit out of your pathetic Bears in some one on one action.

Is there anything sexier than Rex Grossman v. Aaron Rodgers?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I don't want to enter stats. Maybe we should just all take the year off in protest. How did this info not leak out yet?

Mrbob

Yeah I almost want to pass up on this game in protest (Favre on the cover, shitty leagues) but it is madden and I need my yearly fix. :/

Is the 09 Madden league doomed before it starts? I know I'm positively stoked to spend 20 to 30 minutes copying down stats post game and then entering them onto leaguedaddy!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
It sounds like stats are in there as long as we set the Unique Rosters setting to ON. However, the schedule thing is still a groaner. But we should be able to track stats. I say we take deep breaths, see how things go, and then if it is absolutely awful, we will go to LD.

32 game seasons minimum! Wow. That stinks.

lets wait until we all have the game.

but if true... fuck you EA. i would have preferred to have no leagues in the game than what you're suggesting.

ok quick update:

1. there is individual stat tracking as well as team stats. you simply have to play with unique rosters on (i.e. we can't have 2 people using the same team, then whats the point? you could have 10 alex smiths throwing 50 td's)

2. we don't know about the scheduling issue yet.

a work around COULD be we split the league into 2 (16 AFC 16 NFC) and have the winner of each play for the superbowl. this would suck ass because it would almost be like baseball used to be where you don't play the other conference all season.

but lets not get our panties in a twist just yet fellas!

p.s. there is a rumor going around that says the only way you can get the real NFL schedule is if you have 32 people in your league, then it will be activated. who knows if this is true

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
FrenchMovieTheme said:
p.s. there is a rumor going around that says the only way you can get the real NFL schedule is if you have 32 people in your league, then it will be activated. who knows if this is true
This is EA just trying to get more people to buy the game. :lol

In all seriousness, while I prefer having the real conferences, there is something strangely appealing to me about being able to play everyone in the league for the regular season. It isn't a true sim, but it does give the cream of the cream a chance to play in the end for the championship. Plus, with flex scheduling, it is conceiveable that 2-3 games could be played in one evening or afternoon. Again, not ideal, but interesting.

we'll see what happens.

i just don't understand why we can't at least have online leagues that match "league play" in the single player game. look at how sexy the setup for NCAA's dynasty is. it's fucking awesome.

i'm not just talking about the fact that it's online dynasty, but the entire setup is incredible and very user friendly!

for those that don't know (cause it's commish only stuff) the following features are in ncaa: throw out a game result, play for someone as the commish (i.e. bob is playing dm, but bob isn't around and we need to advance, as commish i can fill in for bob very easily just by going to bobs page and clicking on "play game for user").

then you've got all the recruiting stuff, full stat tracking, heisman awards, top rankings, bowl games....

you get all this and madden can't have a fucking 16 game regular season with divisions!? come on EA, what is your flagship title?

Are any of you guys getting the 360 version?

Seems like this is where a lot of the good competition will be but unfortunately I do not have a PS3 :(

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
then you've got all the recruiting stuff, full stat tracking, heisman awards, top rankings, bowl games....

you get all this and madden can't have a fucking 16 game regular season with divisions!? come on EA, what is your flagship title?

thats what pisses me off... it makes no sense.. and pheeniks I may have the 360 version, i will get at you if i get it

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I got the game at lunch time, I will be heading home a little early to see what's up.

Maybe Truelize can mess around in the online league setup a bit to oconfirm these issues?

Typical fucking EA though.

LukeSmith

Truelize said:
I don't want to enter stats. Maybe we should just all take the year off in protest. How did this info not leak out yet?

Honestly, it's because the people reviewing this product seemed to have failed to do their due diligence.

still buying as soon as i can get my hands on one:(

Mrbob

Using me as the whipping boy in NCAA again FMT! :lol

Keep it up, though. It will make my impending destruction of your Penn State Ninnies that much more delicious!

Rorschach

Bleh. I wouldn't want to play an AFC only league. Wouldn't even get to beat DM!

PS: If it takes you 30 minutes to enter stats, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Ok, here are my first impressions on Madden 09 for the PS3.

Graphically, the game is pretty beautiful! Everything has been upgraded from the stadiums, character models, weather effects (snow is beauuuutiful!), animations and "next-gen" sheen is there. Not quite bullshot trailer from years ago, but it's getting closer. I'm starting to get used to the new ActionCam as it takes a bit of an adjustments to get used to it. My ability to quickly scan the entire field has been impacted as attention is diverted to the line battles and subsequent chaos going on in the trenches. Regarding some more misc. things, Halftime and post game show touches are nice...commentary is worlds better than the "radio guy"... and there are tons of options for subbing in specific players per formation, getting all kinds of on the fly statistical information etc.

Gameplay wise, I'm a little disappointed in my two quick games thus far... It appears that the Madden IQ stuff is pretty borked. I scored "All Madden" in my virtual training on passing and running and it has completely given me a broken game offensively. Dallas has one of the best offensive lines in the game, and watching d-lines from both the Redskins and Tampa Bay cut through it like swiss cheese every play was annoying. It is seriously a problem when Barber has two linemen in his grill as soon as he receives the hand off and it is the rule rather than the exception. It appears because I scored "all Madden" in my IQ test, my o-line essentially decides not to block anymore. As a result the difficulty feels artificial like the game itself is cheating to compensate for what they think are my strengths.

Playcalling wise, the CPU does some past gen bullshit that is infuriating. Say I line up in a Twin I Formation and I call a run, but I notice 9 guys in the box there to snuff out the run....I audible (same formation!) to a Play Action pass...the defense reorients itself to put itself in position to counter the audible pretty effectively. To top it off, I re-audible (again same formation, no alignment changes!) back to the original play and the CPU changes back to their original defense. Hopefully this is something getting fixed as it is a relic of past Madden AI that was decidedly "computer" like....

If NCAA is the one extreme of line protection, Madden in the other in terms of consistent pressure being applied nearly every play. I know both the Redskins and the Bucs blitz quite often, but it sucks getting sacked right after I hike to ball or run a play action fake. I'll play more with the line protections and see if that impacts this issue in a positive way.

I'm hoping the CPU issues are due to the fact I scored so high on my IQ stuff that it gave me the most hellish CPU AI it could possibly throw at me. The game does alot of stuff right, and I'm hoping I can tweak my experience some so that it feels like I'm getting a fair fight when going againt the CPU.

BTW won both games 27-0 (Skins) and 17-14 (Bucs) and it has a nice touch of being able to viist the "Virtual Trainer" after every game to impact your Madden IQ....As of now I'm thinking it may make sense to fail my IQ tests so the CPU plays realistically!

To sum it up, I need more time with the game before my verdict is written. Relative to my first impressions last year, this one falters (overall, not graphically!) compared to the wow factor I got from Madden 08 from the first game!

More tonight!

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
http://www.operationsports.com/foru...l-madden-online-leagues-q.html#post2038581850

online leagues EA producer is answer questions at op sports.

i'm marchofthepigs :D

1. As there isn't a set schedule (and because of the addition of trades), injuries only occur (and hold effect) during the game and don't last over multiple games.
Wow...what's the point?
In regards to your other question, there is no 'set schedule'. We have a Flex scheduling system that allows for you to play your games in order you like. We like this system because if one of your buddies is gone on vacation for 2 weeks, the rest of you will be able to continue playing games. Additionally, if players want to leave or join your league, they'll be able to do so mid-season. The slate of games you have to play will just dynamically grow or shrink based on the amount of players. Once everyone has played their games, you'll be taken into the playoffs, which is a set schedule and must be played in order.
k...dancing around the question...

So if you have 32 teams your going to have to play 32 games?

Correct, at a minimum, unless you choose to play more than 1 game against each opponent. There is no concept of conferences or divions in Online Leagues.

FUCK. There you have it. No magical 32 man roster fix.

LukeSmith

Rorschach said:
In regards to your other question, there is no 'set schedule'. We have a Flex scheduling system that allows for you to play your games in order you like. We like this system because if one of your buddies is gone on vacation for 2 weeks, the rest of you will be able to continue playing games. Additionally, if players want to leave or join your league, they'll be able to do so mid-season. The slate of games you have to play will just dynamically grow or shrink based on the amount of players. Once everyone has played their games, you'll be taken into the playoffs, which is a set schedule and must be played in order.

So "Flex Schedule" isn't even in fact, a "schedule," at all.

I am really disappointed by this and moreover, wildly disappointed with the press who continuously fail to give this annually massive title it's proper treatment, investigation and coverage. There's much more at play with the title in a given year than "OMG WAT IS THE PLAYUR RATED" and I wish they'd be thorough.

DMczaf

Rorschach said:
Should ask them if their bringing the stat emails back for those of us who want to play in real leagues.

You need to update the banner

Need schedules? :(

We've got schedules. :\

Mrbob

Next gen Madden score card:

Madden 06
Madden 07
Madden08
Madden09

Maybe next year guys! Being a Madden fan is starting to become like being a Cubs fan. :/

WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!

DMczaf

Mrbob said:
Next gen Madden score card:

Madden 06
Madden 07
Madden08
Madden09

Maybe next year guys! Being a Madden fan is starting to become like being a Cubs fan. :/

WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!

Madden could have free blowjobs every Thursday and you'd still strike it down!

"I felt teeth guys, 2.5 out of 10!"

Rorschach

Zep said:
Is dude skipping over the questions? haha.
At least he gives really detailed responses to the same questions over and over. :lol If that means skipping over real talk, then so be it!

[edit] Oh, he says he's gonna give all the sched questions one big answer. This should be some grade A PR speak!

Shawnwhann said:
Gameplay wise, I'm a little disappointed in my two quick games thus far... It appears that the Madden IQ stuff is pretty borked. I scored "All Madden" in my virtual training on passing and running and it has completely given me a broken game offensively. Dallas has one of the best offensive lines in the game, and watching d-lines from both the Redskins and Tampa Bay cut through it like swiss cheese every play was annoying. It is seriously a problem when Barber has two linemen in his grill as soon as he receives the hand off and it is the rule rather than the exception. It appears because I scored "all Madden" in my IQ test, my o-line essentially decides not to block anymore. As a result the difficulty feels artificial like the game itself is cheating to compensate for what they think are my strengths.

Wouldn't it rely on you using the oline adjustments more? Since you are a higher level player you would be responsible for helping the blocking schemes I would guess.

Either way the bolded part is the way it should be :) Especially given the 2nd Dallas game last year, and that was before we had JT.

In all seriousness though I'm hoping the Olines aren't like how you described with a little oline adjusting, otherwise I guess I'll have to tank the madden IQ challenge like you mentioned.

Zep said:
Is dude skipping over the questions? haha.

He just posted this so it looks like we'll get some answers soon:

madden dev dude said:
Since there have been so many questions on scheduling, I'm writing one big answer now... I'll be posting it as soon as I can.

I'm posting to this thread as I bounce in and out of meetings so I apologize for the lag in response time.

Top Bottom