• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden Season 12 Thread: Welcome Playstation 3 Overlords!

Where do you want this league to be run?

Results are only viewable after voting.
for the people who want to use EA's service:

1. how do you propose we play a 16 game season? we would have to have 17 people in the league for that to happen.

2. please don't take flex scheduling into account. if we did use the EA system, i would mandate that you don't play ahead. the FUN in playing in an online league is the buildup, the anticipation that a matchup is coming up against an undefeated foe in week 12 to influence who gets homefield. frankly i dont want to be part of a league where i'm in week 7 and some guy in my division is already in week 15 and has mathematically sewed up the division.

i'm heavily leaning towards league daddy... like 99%. i will wait until after the game is released and see what EA's response is. but think about why we have run these leagues: to play a real NFL schedule, or as close to a real schedule, as possible. i dont want to play 32 games. i dont want to play 15 games. i dont want to have no divisions, i dont want to have to use gimmicks to complete a league.

i really don't give a shit about entering stats at the end of the day. yes it sucks to do, especially after you lose. is it time consuming? i guess. true, as shawn said, we are all grown men who have jobs and have social lives and have girlfriends and wives and other obligations. but thats why we specifically say "if you cant play dont play" from the get go.

madden leagues aren't some 30 minute-per-week casual get together to play online. i enjoy the leagues, i like the atmosphere around when people are talking shit to one another and anticipating games. i love the playoff push and the stats and scouting your opponent and all that stuff. that should be the reason you play as well.

if that ISN'T why you play then i see how this league can be a hassle and how it's just not worth your time. if that's how you feel then you don't have to play and it's cool, come back nextyear when we will probably have online franchise available.

so, to end my little rant i will say this: whether i put in an hour a week or 5 hours a week towards this league, i want it to be as similar to the nfl as possible. if we are going to use EA's service (as i understand it) it's not worth it to me. i can live without division. shit, i can even live without official playoffs and superbowl. but what i can't live without is a realistic schedule. i can't do it and i won't do it.

that's my 99 cents on the subject. so if you're in for leaguedaddy you're in, and if you're out then you're out!

Ramirez

Hey, I hate entering stats, but I still voted LD, it does make the league better compared to some random flex schedule nonsense.

LukeSmith

DMczaf said:
Team and Player Stats are in, that was figured out.

It's just scheduling thats screwing us up. If we had realistic scheduling, this wouldn't even be a question of LD vs EA. But we don't! DAMN IT!

There's no question. It'll be LD.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
for the people who want to use EA's service:

1. how do you propose we play a 16 game season? we would have to have 17 people in the league for that to happen.

2. please don't take flex scheduling into account. if we did use the EA system, i would mandate that you don't play ahead. the FUN in playing in an online league is the buildup, the anticipation that a matchup is coming up against an undefeated foe in week 12 to influence who gets homefield. frankly i dont want to be part of a league where i'm in week 7 and some guy in my division is already in week 15 and has mathematically sewed up the division.

i'm heavily leaning towards league daddy... like 99%. i will wait until after the game is released and see what EA's response is. but think about why we have run these leagues: to play a real NFL schedule, or as close to a real schedule, as possible. i dont want to play 32 games. i dont want to play 15 games. i dont want to have no divisions, i dont want to have to use gimmicks to complete a league.

i really don't give a shit about entering stats at the end of the day. yes it sucks to do, especially after you lose. is it time consuming? i guess. true, as shawn said, we are all grown men who have jobs and have social lives and have girlfriends and wives and other obligations. but thats why we specifically say "if you cant play dont play" from the get go.

madden leagues aren't some 30 minute-per-week casual get together to play online. i enjoy the leagues, i like the atmosphere around when people are talking shit to one another and anticipating games. i love the playoff push and the stats and scouting your opponent and all that stuff. that should be the reason you play as well.

if that ISN'T why you play then i see how this league can be a hassle and how it's just not worth your time. if that's how you feel then you don't have to play and it's cool, come back nextyear when we will probably have online franchise available.

so, to end my little rant i will say this: whether i put in an hour a week or 5 hours a week towards this league, i want it to be as similar to the nfl as possible. if we are going to use EA's service (as i understand it) it's not worth it to me. i can live without division. shit, i can even live without official playoffs and superbowl. but what i can't live without is a realistic schedule. i can't do it and i won't do it.

that's my 99 cents on the subject. so if you're in for leaguedaddy you're in, and if you're out then you're out!

That's it, FMT. Next time the 49ers come to Bungle, I'm getting you an autographed SOMETHING

DMczaf

LukeSmith said:
There's no question. It'll be LD.

You'd be the lone tumbleweed in a failed NFL2K GAF league if EA's league had realistic scheduling instead of this Flex Sched mess.

LukeSmith

DMczaf said:
You'd be the lone tumbleweed in a failed NFL2K GAF league if EA's league had realistic scheduling instead of this Flex Sched mess.

If EA had realistic scheduling, I would be much more supportive of using their system.

Mrbob

I do think the west coast players do need to get their games in at earlier times this year.

One of the most annoying things is staying up till midnight on a work night to play a madden game because west coasters can't play till 9 or 10PM their time. Makes late nights and sloppy play for us in the midwest and east coast.

LukeSmith

Mrbob said:
I do think the west coast players do need to get their games in at earlier times this year.

One of the most annoying things is staying up till midnight on a work night to play a madden game because west coasters can't play till 9 or 10PM their time. Makes late nights and sloppy play for us in the midwest and east coast.

Well I stay up till 2 a.m. so just get up at 4 or so before you go to work.

Rorschach

:lol The EA guy sounds proud. "We delivered!" Fuck you, dude.

DenogginizerOS said:
I guess I fail to see how everyone playing each other and the best teams advancing is that much different than having league schedules and manual stat entering on LD. The teams that win these divisions don't match what happens in real life and some people never get to play against each other in this league. I know it is not ideal, but is having a chance to measure up against everyone in the league with stat tracking and flex scheduling worse than having league daddy and waiting on one guy who is on a business trip for three days to play his game before any of us get to play again?
Everyone won't play each other, though. If we do the split leagues thing (16 and 16), no afc team will play the nfc 'till playoffs. Playoff stats won't be recorded and the nfc won't be able to see the afc regular season stats.

If we do the 32 man league, we'll have to play 31 regular season games minimum. I don't see the fun in that, honestly.

LukeSmith said:
The stats deepen the whole experience in awesome and meaningful ways. I love looking through the stats to cull information about people's playstyles in advance of playing them. I loved knowing that Malley threw X% of his passes to Tony Gonzalez and then spending some time in the defensive practice mode trying different coverage schemes and assigning different players to Gonzalez till I felt like I had an answer for it.

And playing out division scenarios and thinking about what needs to happen in order to make the Playoffs. It takes the whole shebang to a different level.
I feel the same way. I love scouting the other team.

DenogginizerOS said:
YES. Stats are FULLY integrated into their system.

Plus, it has nice features like tracking who wins the championship from season to season. I like that.
Which won't be available if we split the league in 2.

DenogginizerOS said:
Not sure if everyone has viewed this but it sounds reasonable:
http://www.easports.com/madden09/fullsite/media.jsp?itemID=360onlineleagues
Of course it sounds reasonable. It's colorful PR speak and it leaves out a lot of the hitches or just glances over them and makes them seem like good features.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i'm heavily leaning towards league daddy... like 99%. i will wait until after the game is released and see what EA's response is.

"I actually did answer this before. I said that there is no plan to add this functionality to Madden 09."

Mrbob said:

Hey, we can't bug you during PRIME TIME!

Oh, and I would be willing to pay for the league too.

[edit]FMT: think this might call for a re-drafting of the league? If people want to bail out before the league starts we might be able to get other people to join.

Hate to sound harsh, but if you guys can't or don't want to commit (especially the new guys who didn't even know about LD), then don't.

Everyone won't play each other, though. If we do the split leagues thing (16 and 16), no afc team will play the nfc 'till playoffs. Playoff stats won't be recorded and the nfc won't be able to see the afc regular season stats.

guys, understand that we cannot split the league into 16 and 16. if you have a 16 team league, you will play 15 games (because you can't play yourself). the way the EA leagues are setup is that you please each person once. hence, you have yourself and 15 other people. in order to play a 16 game schedule, you need to have 17 people in your league.

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
guys, understand that we cannot split the league into 16 and 16. if you have a 16 team league, you will play 15 games (because you can't play yourself). the way the EA leagues are setup is that you please each person once. hence, you have yourself and 15 other people. in order to play a 16 game schedule, you need to have 17 people in your league.
I know that it's only 15 games. I posed that earlier and I said 31 games for 32 people. :p

I just figured if you guys were going ahead with that, you wouldn't care about only 15 games.

oh, my bad :D

but i do. i dont know how EA could botch this so badly. don't they have any type of production round tables or meetings? didn't ANYONE in there have the balls to bring up the fact that MAYBE this wouldn't be a good idea?

i would have even been cool with them saying "ok, we're going to have one and only one way that you can play a normal NFL season: if you get 32 people to join. otherwise you use our round robin bullcrap" how hard would that be? the schedule is already done you fucking idiots, just let us play it! i dont care if we have to play over and over again!

i have a feeling if we complain enough EA may do something about it (just like online weather). i wish this had gotten out sooner.

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
oh, my bad :D

but i do. i dont know how EA could botch this so badly.
Well, I agree. I care too. :p This is worse than having no leagues because they got our hopes up and they may split our members. :(

don't they have any type of production round tables or meetings? didn't ANYONE in there have the balls to bring up the fact that MAYBE this wouldn't be a good idea?
"Just for some background, when we all sat down to look at Online Leagues, all teams met as this was a feature that all games within EA Sports wanted. NBA, FIFA, NHL and Madden all sat down and began to identify what sort of league feature we’d all like"

Guess it's a bunch of "yes" men! Meanwhile, NCAA gets franchise and NHL gets franchise with 5 players per team. :\

i have a feeling if we complain enough EA may do something about it (just like online weather). i wish this had gotten out sooner.
I hope so too, but they would have to restructure the league system. At best we could hope for them to put it in the DLC, but I doubt they do. They seem pretty sold on it.

I'm imagining them saying "we tried to do leagues, but no one used them and that's why we can't have leagues this year!" Like they did before. :( I signed up for GMC (edit: no wait, it was Dodge...!) spam for nothing!

dude even the madden 05 leagues were better than this shit.

fucking morons. i can't believe they're justifying this in any form. EA should be embarrassed about this shit.

you're the ONLY NFL GAME in town. you have online leagues. yet you can't replicate an NFL Season in the online leagues you were pimping back in may?

we should have known something was up when we didn't hear dick about online leagues for months.

Zep

Banned
Here's my idea...
We knew ahead of time that we would have to keep track of the standings ourselves. What we didn't know is the schedule issue. However, if we just choose to handle the playoffs separate from the regular season (i.e. create a new league), we should be able to make this work.

Here's how...

* Set up a 32 team league
* Set the number of games for each team to play against each other team to 3 - this would be 2, but according to PastaPadre, you can only choose odd numbers up to 11 (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11). It needs to be at least 2 for divisional matchups
* Post the schedule you will play somewhere online - in our league's case, it would be the real NFL schedule and we would post it in our forums
* Play all games in the league in order like we normally would if we were playing through League Daddy. Our league plays in order one week at a time, but flex schedule leagues should work too
* Keep track of the standings in your forums. We will be keeping track of them like the real NFL, with all the real divisions and conferences
* Once the entire 17 week schedule, use your own standings that are kept outside of the game to determine the playoff teams and seedings
* Create a new 12-team "playoff" league, including all teams that qualify. Set that league up to play each team once.
* Keep track of the playoff tree in the forums and play the games in order the same way we played the regular season, except we use our new playoff league

not my idea but what you think FMT? Give this a shot or go with LD still?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
As I said earlier, I will support FMT's decision 100% and will be a good league member like I have been for the last few years.

DenogginizerOS

eznark said:
damn. I wasn't really planning on playing in a league but seriously, if they botched this so terribly, I'm not really excited about the rest of the package.
Like MrBob says, I have to have my fix. But this is like a broken record. Every damn year EA finds a way to take what the fans want, put their own special EA touch on it, and turn it into a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray. If EA wants to experiment with Madden fans, I say do it with the Wii-tards.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm very disappointed about this league thing. But even if I absolutely hate entering stats (feels fine when you win, but if you lose 12 games a year entering stats sucks really bad) I am not going anywhere cause I play this game for the community. The game is still good. Hopefully.

So if it's leaguedaddy I'm in (I don't even have an issue with dropping a few bucks so that FMT doesn't have to pay for the whole thing again.). If we are gonna try the garbage EA created then I'm in too.

hmmm, zep that definitely sounds do-able.

what would the difference be between that and our league daddy schedule? both schedules are posted outside of the game. both schedules require that we do our own separate "divisional standings" and divisions. both require that we come up with our own playoffs.

i think it could work.... we'll see, making my brain hurt. thanks EA!

DenogginizerOS

Wellington said:
It's cool to let them know, but they don't give a shit, they will get our money anyway.

Frankly, I don't care what we do as long as whoever starts the league finishes it, unlike last year.
We are all so dependent on Madden. It is funny and sad. :lol

guys here is my idea (and zeps), let me know what you think.

1. we all sign into EA's service.
2. i set the league for 32 people playing each other 11 times each.
3. i will post the real NFL schedule as you would play it. there will be deadlines for each week and so on, just like we always had
4. the game would report the stats
5. the stats are online for the league at easportsworld.com
6. i will still PROBABLY pay for leaguedaddy to keep track of the schedules, proper standings, divisions, playoffs, awards, and so on.

what do you guys think?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
FrenchMovieTheme said:

3. i will post the real NFL schedule as you would play it. there will be deadlines for each week and so on, just like we always had
6. i will still PROBABLY pay for leaguedaddy to keep track of the schedules, proper standings, divisions, playoffs, awards, and so on.

what do you guys think?
Then what is the point of doing the EA thing? Not having to input the stats?

LJ11

So are the stats composed of individual player stats, or just team stats?

I really like the idea of individual player stats, and if you're going to pay for League Daddy anyway what's the point of using the EA leagues?

LukeSmith

FrenchMovieTheme said:

what do you guys think?

This was the idea R0rs and I talked about yesterday, actually. I think it could work, but honestly, given the rest of the way Online Leagues were handled, I do think we're just playing with fire.

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:

what do you guys think?
The only problem I see with it is losing the web component and stat comparisons, averages, etc. Oh, and the nagging temptation of the Flex Sched (which you can't turn off, apparently).

I think you only need to set it to 3 games since two teams can only play a max of 3 times.

You don't need to pay for LD if we're gonna go that route. We could set up a page, blog, or wiki to keep up with news and standings. It would be a waste to put up the LD fee to just keep track of that stuff.

If only Tiburon sent out in depth stats. I could put something in place to automatically track the stas. :( Wish they were more open with their system like Dice is with BF2.

Zep

Banned
I told him not to use LD and we'll just use 49ers age. I offered to keep the website updated w/ standings, etc. And he'd do the power rankings.

Zep

Banned
just played FMT(lost 21-6) but the lag wasnt that bad at all for me. A few stutters before the play.

Wellington, I'll play you after I eat? 15mins good?

I love how a no name TE outran my whole D.

zep that lag was excellent. almost like playing single player.

as for the game, i can't stress enough how much better the AI is over ncaa. it's not perfect, but you guys who play ncaa will see what i mean.

after tearing the giants D up with gore i was absolutely destroyed by the rams defense. mostly because of zeps clever blitzing which burned him late in the 1st! but alex was 10/11 for 200+ yards and 2 TDs. he was sexy. also i purposely threw to ike twice on the first drive to rub it in your vag

and zep, someday you'll be able to beat me kiddo... some day...

p.s. zep that TE is delaine walker, he is also our kick returner sometimes. he is about as fast as VD. you just had a couple safeties chasing him and chris long (lol), what do you expect to happen? next time dont blitz the house on alex!

Zep

Banned
also i purposely threw to ike twice on the first drive to rub it in your vag

:lol

p.s. zep that TE is delaine walker, he is also our kick returner sometimes. he is about as fast as VD. you just had a couple safeties chasing him and chris long (lol), what do you expect to happen? next time dont blitz the house on alex!

thats fine.

And shawn has no excuse about lag now when I beat him(again)

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DenogginizerOS said:
GREAT game Wellie!

I forgot the spike button....lol
Dude you had one time out left.

Man I was pissed off that Jacobs fumbled when the game was totally iced, but I guess I deserve it because of your fumble!

DenogginizerOS

Wellington said:
Dude you had one time out left.

Man I was pissed off that Jacobs fumbled when the game was totally iced, but I guess I deserve it because of your fumble!
I hit the X button to strip.

And I didn't have a TO. THe white dot was the possesion football.

I am playing soccer with my daughter. Will be back later.

Top Bottom