• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden Season 3 League Thread: The Imperial March (to the superbowl!)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Boller is an amazing QB through the air...how dare you fifty,with 34 seconds left you should have been able to create magic!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'm a little on the sleepy side :lol

Slo

Gunstar77 said:
Slo, can you play tonight?

Sorry, I was busy last night. I can't play tonight either, my wife would nueter me. :( How are Tues and Wed nights looking for you?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
HG, what time are you available to play Tomorrow/Wednesday? I'm up anywhere between 5 pm Est to 11 PM est both days.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Wellington said:
Truelize what time do you want to play tomorrow?

Let me know when you can play. I'm probably be home around 7est. And I need to be done our game by 11:30 est. If you need to play earlier then let me know.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Slo said:
Sorry, I was busy last night. I can't play tonight either, my wife would nueter me. :( How are Tues and Wed nights looking for you?

Tuesday night at 11 PM EST would work for me.

Bog

Junior Ace
It's my buddy playing Halo. I'm actually still working on some stuff for my job. I might be around later.

outside post isn't illegal friends! if it's an important play and you are scared of the outside post, watch the slot man yourself. that's what i do anyways

Fifty

Come on FMT.....I know you say that....But the AI can't cover the route. It's the only route they can't cover. Something is wrong with posts. I know I'd be furious if for one play I didn't manually cover the slot guy, my defender, rated higher than his, was totally faked out because of shifty AI, and I lost the game on that play.

Shadax

Banned
gg Mav.

It was (and outside corners aren't illegal, but I'm sure people will start bitching if I make progress with any corner plays), but you also Hit Sticked me before the ball even got there. Close game, very good running game in the 2nd half, I couldn't anticipate what you were going to call.

Oh, and that first TD with Portis was a thing of beauty. :D

kind of like when champ bailey was torched by "inferior" raiders receivers in last years game in denver? there will be no outlawing of post plays, they are a legitimate route. if i can contain the route with the 49ers then you can with the ravens, and mav can w/ the steelers, etc. the game wasn't won or lost on the post play. it was won with the turnover battle, it was won with timely stops on 3rd down, etc etc. you can bring any game down to one play, but bottom line is if you take care of business early the game doesn't come down to a post play*

* if i ever lose because of a post play i will be mad too, but thems the breaks :D

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I've lost 2 games on unstoppable Matrix Bombs and Too many INT's returned for TD's. Oh well, on to the next game!

HG, I guess we're up for tomorrow...right?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'm, siding with Fifty on this one. I understand your stance, and I understand it's stupid to ban an entire route because it's really not policeable, but it's clear that it's a problem with the game and the AI can't cover it. Some may say it should be allowable in moderation, but even once, with the game on the line as is what seems to be the case with Maverick, is too much.

When I play my random games I play the safety over the top of the slot receiver to watch for the play, if it's 3 wide. What if it's 4 wide? What if it's a spread 4 wide and both slot receivers run corners? We only banned the tight 4 wide corner.

Whatever, no rules need to be made or anything, I am just voicing my opinion that it's ridiculous that we all can't see that the route is completely abuseable, and that we all can't agree to stay away from it. Like I said above, even in moderation, even once a game it's completely disastrous.

Edit: On an unrelated note it's SICKENING how far ahead of the league Matrix is in terms of passing yards. And consider he lost stats from a full game!

ck there is no double posts. whether its out of 4 wide, tight 4 wide, 5 wide, whatever, a post on each side is illegal

you're right, it is up to the player. i think i have throw to a slot receiver running a post 3 times in my last 13 games. i think it is an "unfair" route in that its pretty dirty with the lead passing, but i would never think to ban it. it is unfair in the same sense that i have to play against randy moss, and priest holmes, and mike vick, etc.

what can i say though? if you fellas dont run it against me, i wont run it against you :D

p.s. i probably wont run it against you even if you do run it on me anyways

Fifty

FrenchMovieTheme said:
it is unfair in the same sense that i have to play against randy moss, and priest holmes, and mike vick, etc.

Those players are supposed to be hard to stop. You're supposed to gameplan to stop them. The slot WR doing a post is an exploit most of the time.

Maverick

Hahaha. I've been playing in this league now for 6 games and I didn't know the outside post was legal? I'm retarded.....

hgplayer1

Lonestar said:
I've lost 2 games on unstoppable Matrix Bombs and Too many INT's returned for TD's. Oh well, on to the next game!

HG, I guess we're up for tomorrow...right?

yeah tomorrow shouldnt be a problem at all. sorry I didnt respond to your first post I just wasnt sure what tonight was gonna be like for me. Ill for sure have some time tomorrow to play.

Fifty

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i actually dislike the d-line spread more than the post routes, but what are you gonna do but deal with it?

You could always ban it

b0400004.jpg

Gunstar77

Slo said:
Doing the double safety fake blitz is banned, but that's not what you're getting at....

But it is the same thing, by manually moving your safety up to the line when you are in man to man coverage with 2 safeties over top you are putting your safety up in a good run blitzing area but then when it is a pass then you circle back into coverage. That is not great Defensive play calling, that is taking advantage of a flaw in the game. The only reason I really have a problem with it is because back in the very 1st Season the rule was do not bring your safeties up to the line unless they are blitzing because it is way too easy to stop offense, I am one that likes to blitz and being able to flake blitz would have helped my Defense alot but even I agreed that tactic was too hard to beat. Slo, I never had a problem with anything you did before but that Defense you played against me is illegal, just because you did it manually doesn't change that fact. I just want to confirm for sure if it is illegal because if it isn't then my next opponent better get ready for it.

correct sirs. if you bring your safeties in the box, they can't drop back in coverage. essentially what that does is covers both the run and pass perfectly. it is difficult to run at all against it, and it is difficult to pass because they are so fast to get back in coverage. if you want to bring 8 or 9 in the box thats fine, but they must be blitzing

Slo

Christ, here we go again.

I think I'll just stop trying to defend myself against you guys. The more fights I have, the more noise it makes, the more people suspect me of cheesing, the more people nitpick my style of play, and the whole situation perpetuates itself. I just dig myself deeper with every game. I'm truely sorry if I'm pissing people off, that's not my intent. Am I trying to make my team play better than their mediocre ratings? Absolutely. I'm in this league to have fun, just like everyone else, and I'm sorry if I'm keeping others from having fun.

To people that I'm playing for the rest of the year, I guess I'll just say this. You might as well expect to be cheesed when you play me, since the general consensus is that I'm a cheeser. Gameplan for it. And since I'll be cheesing you, go ahead and throw all the cheese you've got at me. I won't complain.

Seriously guys, screw this noise. I've played each and every league game with a different game plan. I'm not winning games because I'm doing the same cheesy shit over and over. I put a lot of practice into prep work, I find out what plays I can have success with against you and your team, and I practice them. A lot.

So is playing with 8 defenders in the box illegal? Not that I know of. I know for a God damned fact that I was out of position all night with that safety on the fly routes, but it didn't seem to matter as you weren't able to take advantage. If your team's weak side receiver can't beat a shut down corner like (ahem) Brian Williams in one on one coverage, you've got bigger problems. Why should I be forced to waste a man covering over the top on a guy like that?

Slo

FrenchMovieTheme said:
correct sirs. if you bring your safeties in the box, they can't drop back in coverage. essentially what that does is covers both the run and pass perfectly. it is difficult to run at all against it, and it is difficult to pass because they are so fast to get back in coverage. if you want to bring 8 or 9 in the box thats fine, but they must be blitzing

So if I play as the safety, I can't manually bring him to the line and play him from there? Ok, consider it done.

Gunstar77

Slo said:
Christ, here we go again.

I think I'll just stop trying to defend myself against you guys. The more fights I have, the more noise it makes, the more people suspect me of cheesing, the more people nitpick my style of play, and the whole situation perpetuates itself. I just dig myself deeper with every game. I'm truely sorry if I'm pissing people off, that's not my intent. Am I trying to make my team play better than their mediocre ratings? Absolutely. I'm in this league to have fun, just like everyone else, and I'm sorry if I'm keeping others from having fun.

To people that I'm playing for the rest of the year, I guess I'll just say this. You might as well expect to be cheesed when you play me, since the general consensus is that I'm a cheeser. Gameplan for it. And since I'll be cheesing you, go ahead and throw all the cheese you've got at me. I won't complain.

Seriously guys, screw this noise. I've played each and every league game with a different game plan. I'm not winning games because I'm doing the same cheesy shit over and over. I put a lot of practice into prep work, I find out what plays I can have success with against you and your team, and I practice them. A lot.

So is playing with 8 defenders in the box illegal? Not that I know of. I know for a God damned fact that I was out of position all night with that safety on the fly routes, but it didn't seem to matter as you weren't able to take advantage. If your team's weak side receiver can't beat a shut down corner like (ahem) Brian Williams in one on one coverage, you've got bigger problems. Why should I be forced to waste a man covering over the top on a guy like that?

I stand corrected Slo, it is ok to do what you did. I just want to know if it is ok or not so I can do it, I always thought you couldn't.

relax dude, i misunderstood what was going on. if you want to move the safety up into coverage and control him yourself, by all means use that strategy. i use that strategy w/ my MLB. the banned defense is when you bring up BOTH safeties to bluff a blitz, and let the CPU control both of them and get back into coverage.

slo dont be so mad. no one thinks you're cheesing anymore than they think i'm cheesing, and according to my tag im back to back champ :D

so, to reaffirm, if you are CONTROLLING THE SAFETY, do your worst @ the line of scrimage (manual blitzing of the QB excluded...)

Slo

Gunstar77 said:
I stand corrected Slo, it is ok to do what you did. I just want to know if it is ok or not so I can do it, I always thought you couldn't.

Oh shit, as if your defense wasn't suffocating enough already.
:lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Shadax said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't real life NFL teams bluff safety blitz and drop into coverage?

They also run double corners. Unlike in real life, the game doesn't exactly bite on PA passes as it should or other trickery since it's all AI. The safeties would always be able to drop back into coverage, or always be able to cover the run, unlike in real life in which the actual person would have to think for a split second giving the WR or the RB the needed opening instead of always guessing and always guessing right.

The only thing(s) Slo can't do is switch immediately after the snap which would effectively be the same as the safety bluff, or manually blitz with the safety. The problem with Slo and the Vikings, and why we think it's such cheese is how incredibly good their defense is. I've mentioned it numerous times, it's pretty sickening. :( I play them from time to time offline and whenever some random guy picks them online and their pass rush is insanity compared to its real life counterpart.

Slo

Wellington said:
The problem with Slo and the Vikings, and why we think it's such cheese is how incredibly good their defense is. I've mentioned it numerous times, it's pretty sickening. :(

Yeah, I'm not going to deny that. The Vikes D Line are all 80+ and seem to play above their ratings, enough so that it makes up for their horrible linebackers. I can't really do much about it, unless I try to manually sabotage them. :-\ We also have two 90+ players in the secondary, and they can effectively shut down a AAA receiver if I dedicate them both. I'm definetly not complaining. :)

But, as people who played against my pitiful offense in season 1 know, it's easy to play good D when the offense becomes one dimensional and predictable. If I get up by 14 points in the first half my opponents almost always abandon the run, so I've got no reason to respect the run on D. And I don't. Sometimes on 1st and 10, I'll line up in the Dime against 2-1-2 and spread my linemen. It's pretty damn hard to pass in that situation, and if you're stubborn enough to try, you'll usually be picked off or sacked.

Top Bottom