• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden Season 3 League Thread: The Imperial March (to the superbowl!)

calder

What do you need tips on?
Most things. :\ I have a pretty limited knowledge of football in general and the NFL in particular. I bought it yesterday because my brothers insist I play them online and they shitkicked me pretty bad.

I wish Madden didn't force you to not do stupid things online. The ppl I'd play would always gamble on 4th and 35 no matter what the score was, and the fact that they have to punt helps them because I'm the only one who'd normally not gamble every time.

Anyway, my questions might be a bit annoying to answer since I'm a true neophyte - I used to play a bit of Madden say 5 years ago so I remember some of the basics. Quick questions for anyone who feels like helping out:

- I get blitzed a lot. It took me most of my first game last night to figure out that quarterbacks don't throw perfect bullets when they're running backwards anymore, so my passing game was pretty bad. :lol I think I ended the first half with -5 total yards, and it was my inability to find good quick plays to take advantage of a defence that's always rushing. I called my brother but he wouldn't tell me which formations and plays work better, mainly because I was playing him I guess. :p I tried a few plays from the shotgun but it still seemed I never had time to get off a pass.

- what teams are good for a newbie? should i get the better overall teams or just focus on defense and take the highest ranked D? Offense is hard, I'm still clumsy with the controls so maybe I should just skip it.

Shadax

Banned
calder said:
- I get blitzed a lot. *snip*

I don't think there's a man in this league that hasn't had a game where it felt like they had no time to get any passes off and got sacked tons of times. Some basic tips:

Don't backpedal more than the auto-drop the game does for you. This is very hard to do, especially when you see your fat ass lineman get knocked over/or juked by an aggressive DE (Strahan, anyone?). But it's essential you remain there or move FORWARD into the pocket, and focus on getting that pass off to an open receiver. If you can't see any open receivers and a sack is imminent, throw it out of bounds by jamming the analog stick to the sidelines and throwing to a receiver closest to the sidelines, forcing to ball to go out of bounds. Better that than getting sacked or trying to force a throw which will get picked (which, with 15 INTs so far this season, I need to heed my own advice more). I have however, done a bit better job at not dropping back too far. If you're getting blitzed from the left and right side a lot, and the guy you're playing is spreading his d-line to get a better pass rush, punish him by audibling into a run play up the middle. Making someone respect your running game, and keeping them guessing on when a pass is coming (IMHO, Maverick is the best I've seen at this, calling almost all his plays, pass or run, from 2 WR 1 TE 2 RB formations) is the key to opening the field up for your passing game.

It's definitely tough to remain cool under pressure, even more so when you don't have a QB (Ramsey, in my case) with quick feet to avoid a sack as a backup plan to give more time until a receiver gets open. Just stick with it, and don't drop back and don't rush a throw. Again, easier said than done, but blitz-happy defenses have holes, so eventually they're going to give up something.

Fifty

Maverick, I've waited 75 minutes, sorry dude, but you're not here. You know the deal, I'm out this weekend. Too bad you weren't able to play yesterday or today.

Slo

Here's how I handle the blitz, sometimes it works, sometimes not. This is all just my opinion, and there are others more qualified to answer, but anyway...

-First things first, it helps to pick a team with a good O line. If your O line gets obliterated in a 4 man rush, you've got no chance to pick up the blitz. So pick a good team. :)

- It is absolutely vital that you recognize the blitz immediately after the snap. You need to know which player(s) is coming, it makes a difference on how you handle it. When you snap the ball, don't look at your receivers, look at the linebackers. You can learn 80% of what you need to know about a defense by what the LBs do, they are excellent indicators. Almost all blitzes come from the LBs, and even if they don't blitz, their behavior will tell you if the defense is man coverage or zone coverage. You should practice your plays enough to know what receivers are likely to be open against both types of defense. If it's zone coverage, try to throw into windows in the defense. If it's man, it's all about finding single coverage and keeping the ball away from the safeties. When you call a play, you should be able to say "if it's man, look at receiver A, if it's zone hit receiver B, and receiver X is my safety valve in case of the blitz".

- You need to realize that blitzes are a gamble. When a team blitzes, there is a vacancy where the blitzing LB or CB came from and an opportunity for the offense. Throw to the vacancy. The LB's pass coverage responsibility was probably either to cover the TE or a RB out of the back field. When the LB blitzes, this responsibility usually transfers to one of the safeties. This means two things. First, that receiver is going to be open until the safety can close the gap. If you hit him quickly you probably have an easy 5-10 yards. Secondly, and more interestingly, because the safety is in coming up to cover short, there is no over-the-top help for the CB on his side. If you have any time to at all, throw the fly route to this side, you're guarrenteed single coverage and the receiver has the advantage in that situation.

- Roll away from the blitz. Granted it helps to have a mobile QB, but even if you don't rolling will give you a precious extra second to let routes develop, and it naturally aids you in directional passing, so you'll have less of those floaters off of your back foot.

-Make them respect the run. If they are blitzing up the middle all the time, run a couple of toss plays. If they are spreading the D linemen out, run a few dives. Make the defense play honest. You'll be very easy to shut down if you become predictable and one dimensional. Even if you're only averaging 2 yards a carry, keep pounding it. 3rd and 6 ain't half bad, much better than giving up 2 long sacks on 1st and 2nd down because you've become predictable.

calder

You guys are awesome, these are exactly the type of tips I was looking for!

I was panicking and running my QB back trying to get away. But damn, like Shadax says it's so hard to not get rattled especially when you just start out. I tried a few minigames last night and that really helped me know what to look for on the run - during my game (and in my defense last night I literally opened my copy of Madden and was playing my first football videogame in many years against real opponents 3 minutes later - jerks wouldn't let me practice first) all the motion distracted me everytime I tried to run the ball.

Mrbob

Make sure to use Football 101 Calder.

It is listed under the practice options menu.

Football 101 will go through each play, tell you what is happening and why it is happening, and then let you practice offensive plays.

After that, go to regular practice mode. You can practice any of your teams plays over and over against a set defensive scheme of your choosing.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Slo I am back in town. I can't play tonight though. Tomorrow anytime before NBA allstar Saturday starts should be good for me. But between 6 and 7 est would be best. My wife works Saturdays sometimes and I will be alone with our 3 year old little girl. She doesn't help my Madden skills at all.
Ever tried to pick up a blitz with someone jumping on the couch beside you telling you to comb her My Little Pony's hair?? Yeah, it doesn't help,. :D

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Its official Ive lost all my madden skillz since I beat Ram...I havent won one game since then and I seem to have forgotten how to throw the f-ing ball into my WR'S hands.

I think I never want to beat Ram again....I think he cursed me.

Rorschach

Malleymal said:
No i meant I was leaving work to play, I am here , in the lobby
Sorry, miscommunication. Since yous said you needed to get back to work at 4, I figured you meant that you were heading back out to work (since there's no way a season game will last less than 45 minutes). Name a time before the deadline and I'll be there.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Gun, since i'm about to head to work, I was already in bed before your post. Hopefully will be backnafter noon, and I'll be free for the rest of the weekend.

Slo

Truelize said:
Slo I am back in town. I can't play tonight though. Tomorrow anytime before NBA allstar Saturday starts should be good for me. But between 6 and 7 est would be best. My wife works Saturdays sometimes and I will be alone with our 3 year old little girl. She doesn't help my Madden skills at all.
Ever tried to pick up a blitz with someone jumping on the couch beside you telling you to comb her My Little Pony's hair?? Yeah, it doesn't help,. :D

I know where you're coming from, I have a 3 year old girl and a 1 year old son. That's why it usually only works for me to play after 10PM central, because my two kids are in bed. :-\ Today I only have to watch my youngest, so I might be able to get in a game this afternoon if he takes a nap.

Are you going to be around all day?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Slo said:
I know where you're coming from, I have a 3 year old girl and a 1 year old son. That's why it usually only works for me to play after 10PM central, because my two kids are in bed. :-\ Today I only have to watch my youngest, so I might be able to get in a game this afternoon if he takes a nap.

Are you going to be around all day?

I wont really be around much until about 6 central, and then the allstar stuff is on. I can play right after it's done. That would probably put us at 11:00 or so central. I can play tomorrow afternoon though. That would work better for me for sure. But I'm flexiable.

Slo

Let's plan for tonight after the all star stuff. I'll stay up as long as necessary. Sound like a plan?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Slo said:
Let's plan for tonight after the all star stuff. I'll stay up as long as necessary. Sound like a plan?

Yeah that works. You use AIM? Hit me up when the everything is done.

AIM = Truelize

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Lost a close one to Dskillz. Highlights:

-As I thought I would get from Dskillz, completely clean game. Glad we both don't have to depend on questionable tactics as a crutch.

-4 fumbles in the first quarter, two each team. Particularly of note was a third down play in which I ran, ended up being short, fumbled, Dskillz recovered, fumbles, I recover, and get a first down even though I ended up losing yardage. :lol

-Drew Bledsoe (Not me!) threw three ints, and none of them were bad throws as a result of a bad read of the coverage. However the one throw that was a bad read, bounced off the defenders hands for a dropped int. :lol Fucking jinxed myself in IRC the other day. 10 int season is looking real tough now.

-Willis McGahee 23 carries 144 yards on the strength of a 76 yard TD run. Shelton my shittacular FB who can't even block half the time - 2 carries -2 yards. I swear I am playing with the Giants here.

-Went to kick about a 43 yard FG, wind against me. Got it to 98 power but 64 ACC. BARELY missed wide left.

-Bills stats through 8 games: 929 yards rushing, 191 carries, 4.86 ypc, 97/177 passing (54.8%) dropped 13 points in terms of QB rating! 92.47 from 105.24. :(

-Final score 26-24. I went up 24-23 with 30 seconds left, unfortunately he had all his timeouts and won it with a FG. Ball was snapped with 1 second left.

I'm getting a lot better with the Bills passing game, those three ints (which weren't my damned fault) not withstanding.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The game with CK earlier today was definitely a classic. It was one of those games that totally mimiced a real NFL game. Nothing done in the game strayed from real NFL football.

There was a torrential downpour at the beginning of the game which helped with all those fumbles. But as the game went on, it seemed like the rain let up a bit.

CK's run defense was stifling. I only put up 38 yards on 21 attempts. Most of that was in the 2nd half. I never gave up on the run, and it did get me some key first downs during the game.

The game-winning drive was amazing. I think I had something like a minute to get into FG range and the last play had my WR catch the ball, run for like 10-yards and I quickly had to call a time out with 1 second left on the clock. The kick had that "dramatic" animation which usually means a miss for me, but today I got it in.

Thanks CK for a hell of a game. Someone had to lose, but like I told him afterwards if I had lost, I wouldn't have been that upset as we played a classic game.

Lonestar

well, I played like utter shit. I'm thinking to myself "why did I go away from my normal play selection"

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Lonestar said:
well, I played like utter shit. I'm thinking to myself "why did I go away from my normal play selection"

Good game Lonestar, you were having some good runs early on but once I got ahead my D could attack.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Another game. Another loss. I played alright though. Some of help I've gotten latelty from Wellie and FMT has helped a ton. Thanks guys.
My 1st and 4th quarters were very nice. I just can't put a whole game together yet. And I'm still weak against the long ball I guess. It was Moss though. So maybe I'm just like everyone else and I'm weak agaisnt Moss. :)

Vick ate Slo up though. I'm learning how to take advantage of him a bit better. I'm sick of everyone blitzing me. If you are gonna come at me then I gotta run. :lol

Oh well. I hope I end this losing streak sometime before season 4.

Lonestar

my problem was I stopped running! And I also felt like vomiting! Not because of the game though. Next time I should practice up before the game, instead of taking a 2 day break from it :/

Slo

Good game Truelize. I thought you played a lot better than your record shows. And yeah, Vick gave me fits.

Oh, and there was one crazy thing that happened. I scored a TD with about 25 seconds left in the half and I decided to squibb kick the kickoff so nothing crazy happened like a big kick return. So I kick it right down the center of the field, and Madden's crazy ball physics take over and I end up recovering the fumble at about Truelize's 25 yard line. :-O I think this happened one other time this year too, I think either against Matrix or Mav. I didn't take advantage of it, I just downed the ball and ran out the half, but that's something that could really be abused.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
You did that against me and it pissed me off :p

Matrix

Slo said:
:-O

Sorry.

:lol Its all good,I'm more pissed about our stats never recording :(

Slo

I *probably* won't be able to play today. Family obligations. But any of the other nights should work. Is 10 Central a bad time for you?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
dskillzhtown said:
The game with CK earlier today was definitely a classic. It was one of those games that totally mimiced a real NFL game. Nothing done in the game strayed from real NFL football.

There was a torrential downpour at the beginning of the game which helped with all those fumbles. But as the game went on, it seemed like the rain let up a bit.

CK's run defense was stifling. I only put up 38 yards on 21 attempts. Most of that was in the 2nd half. I never gave up on the run, and it did get me some key first downs during the game.

The game-winning drive was amazing. I think I had something like a minute to get into FG range and the last play had my WR catch the ball, run for like 10-yards and I quickly had to call a time out with 1 second left on the clock. The kick had that "dramatic" animation which usually means a miss for me, but today I got it in.

Thanks CK for a hell of a game. Someone had to lose, but like I told him afterwards if I had lost, I wouldn't have been that upset as we played a classic game.

Yeah definitely, at the first quarter I was ready to go back and call this game fumble bowl 2005, thankfully that shit stopped. :lol

I love the Bills for their interior defense. :lol Get passed my dual pro-bowl DTs, you meet two pro-bowl LBs, get passed that you get to say wassup to Lawyer Milloy and Troy Vincent, another set of pro-bowlers. :lol I was getting nercous that I was giving up so many passing yards but over the weekend I sorta realized that if not for the pass no one would move the ball on me at all, I get very few rushing attempts against me.

I don't mind losing the game even though I lose ground in the division since I am still on track for the playoffs (Unless Dskillz catches fire and I stumble). The best was the end. You and I both needed to score into the jaws of some scary defenses. You know we are players worth our salt when we can 'manufacture' scoring drives. No matter what I called at the end there I couldn't stop you. And I scored to get you the ball with exactly 30 seconds left. I ran it hoping McGahee would be tackled, but he just shrugged off whoever hit him.

The only thing that bothered me was that one play you called a couple of times in the game where your TE would post over the middle and my LB (Fuck you Posey! Rated 89 but you are still the weak link in my LB corps!) didn't react 2-3 times. I adjusted by going into a flipped 4-3 cover 1 (flipped because I'd rather have Milloy in zone and Vincent in man) but you adjusted a lobbed it perfectly over the outstretched hands of London Fletcher. Man that was fucked up. :lol

So what, now we have a double OT game, and a last second FG game. I'm waiting on the triple OT game. :lol

Only thing that sucks is that now I will have to take my frustrations out on FMT. Poor guy.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
jobber said:
sorry to rain on your parade...but I just got Madden..

hasselbeck.gif

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
GG DM... I had a feeling you were going to take it to overtime with that last drive, it looked like my D was scared to defend your WR's....

Top Bottom