• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden Season 3 League Thread: The Imperial March (to the superbowl!)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
GG Matrix.

Not much else I could do. What killed me where my own mistakes. And your UnCanny Ability on those Long Bombs!

All I can say is...."How can I do that!?!?" ;)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
GG Man,you play real solid on D...first time ever playing madden 05?

Long Bombs are an art form that has taken me over 100 games to perfect..Its sorta a gift,Im not sure why im real good at it :p It guess its really all about finding the open man in single coverage and pressing the pressure sensitive button with the right strength,lightly for lobs and harder for deep bombs.Its really hard to explain why Im good at it,I could do it with the Ravens and Boller while other people struggle to even complete passes with him.

Lonestar

this is probably my 3rd week playing it, yes, and no prior online experience. Played alot of CPU NCAA before though. Just hours and hours and hours of Practice mode, learning offense. Defense just comes up as I see it. As I can see, I can let up on the deep passes :/

BUT! I had more Passing Yards and Running yards than JOO! That's my Moral Victory I'm holding onto! I WON'T LET GO!!!

titanickateandleo.jpg

Rorschach

Maybe we can get our game going tomorrow, Bog. If you're available tomorrow any time before or at 630 EST or after 130 EST, let me know.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Lonestar said:
this is probably my 3rd week playing it, yes, and no prior online experience. Played alot of CPU NCAA before though. Just hours and hours and hours of Practice mode, learning offense. Defense just comes up as I see it. As I can see, I can let up on the deep passes :/

BUT! I had more Passing Yards and Running yards than JOO! That's my Moral Victory I'm holding onto! I WON'T LET GO!!!

titanickateandleo.jpg

:lol

Lonestar

oh man, I completed 63% of my 3rd Downs (BANGS HEAD AGAINST KNIFE)

STELLLLLLAAAA!!

Lonestar

bonehead stuff on my end. A Safety, a INT for TD, and 2 BOMMMMMBS!!!

I've still got stuff to work through!

Matrix

I got some key long bombs and a much needed int td..other than that,I think he outplayed me...but it really is hard winning with the Texans :(

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Matrix said:
Long Bombs are an art form that has taken me over 100 games to perfect..Its sorta a gift,Im not sure why im real good at it :p It guess its really all about finding the open man in single coverage and pressing the pressure sensitive button with the right strength,lightly for lobs and harder for deep bombs. Its really hard to explain why Im good at it,I could do it with the Ravens and Boller while other people struggle to even complete passes with him.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

hgplayer1

hey dskillz I gotta do one more thing then Ill be ready to play. Ill get logged in and wait a while unless I see something different from you here.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
hg, I'm sorry, I just got home. I can play at 8:30 Central. I want to eat some dinner first. I will log on at 8:30.

Slo

CK, my cable has been flickering on and off for a while. I called Charter and it's a known outage, but supposedly things have stablalized. Just FYI, if my connection goes out again I'll have no way of letting you know that I can't make the game tonight.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I knew it wasn't my day. I didn't want to say anything after the game win or lose but one thing really really irked me in that game.

You know corner routes are money, why do them with Randy Moss? You're just taking it to the extreme there. I Man-Locked Nate Clements, my 90 rated CB with 92 speed to try and stick with Moss, but there was nothing I could do the three times you ran that call. For those that want to know what formation he calls it out of, it's I-Form Twin WR. Sad I had to be the guinea pig, but I am glad I can help everyone guess where it's coming from so they can try to manually defend it. Even though their defender won't be able to keep up with Moss. It was embarassing the one time I had to pause it and type out "WTF!!!???". That was man coverage and he was open by 10 yards.

And on corners, there was no need to use that one corner route with two minutes left to get you to the five yardline when you were already up 17. It's as if Bledsoe being knocked out in the first quarter and McGahee fumbling weren't enough lucky breaks for you. What happened to checking down to those routes, by the way? Everytime it was thrown you rolled out in that direction and hit the WR right away.

I'll take this as a learning experience. The time the incredible Vikings defense stopped the offense neither the Chargers nor the Panthers could. Only two people I have ever lost to in a second or third game in a season are FMT and DM. You're now my Matrix for season 3.

Matrix

"You're now my Matrix for season 3."

:| Poor Slo...he will not rest till he beats you "bad"

Slo

Wellington said:
I knew it wasn't my day. I didn't want to say anything after the game win or lose but one thing really really irked me in that game.

You know corner routes are money, why do them with Randy Moss? You're just taking it to the extreme there. I Man-Locked Nate Clements, my 90 rated CB with 92 speed to try and stick with Moss, but there was nothing I could do the three times you ran that call. For those that want to know what formation he calls it out of, it's I-Form Twin WR. Sad I had to be the guinea pig, but I am glad I can help everyone guess where it's coming from so they can try to manually defend it. Even though their defender won't be able to keep up with Moss. It was embarassing the one time I had to pause it and type out "WTF!!!???". That was man coverage and he was open by 10 yards.

And on corners, there was no need to use that one corner route with two minutes left to get you to the five yardline when you were already up 17. It's as if Bledsoe being knocked out in the first quarter and McGahee fumbling weren't enough lucky breaks for you. What happened to checking down to those routes, by the way? Everytime it was thrown you rolled out in that direction and hit the WR right away.

I'll take this as a learning experience. The time the incredible Vikings defense stopped the offense neither the Chargers nor the Panthers could. Only two people I have ever lost to in a second or third game in a season are FMT and DM. You're now my Matrix for season 3.

Wellie, calm down for a second. I know which three plays that you're talking about. I only agree that one of them was cheese. For your information I abandoned all the things I had planned for tonight out of fear of getting into this kind of squabble. Oh well, I guess we're here anyway. I look forward to what you have cooked up for me in our next meeting.

On the play where you sent me a "WTF??!?!?" message: that route I only ran only once and it was not a corner route, but I'll admit that it is completely cheeseball. I found it and put it in my short notice gameplan this afternoon as a special "I love you" jab especially for you after our conversation today. :D I already had the game in hand at that point, it wasn't a game changer. It's a nearly 50% TD play for me, and it should be banned, imo. The play is out of trips formation with Moss being the inner most receiver. The outside receivers run drags to pick Moss' CB, and Randy does a loop behind the picks and runs a fly. If you throw it to his outside shoulder there is absolutely no way for the safety to get there before moss catches it, and if there is no safety playing over the top it's an easy TD. It got me about 15 yards. I'm sorry if it pissed you off, I honestly thought we'd be chuckling about it after the game. Guess I misjudged things. :-\

The other two plays I take issue with. The route is not the normal corner route that you're all thinking of. It's a double move route, one that is run by the outer most receiver and takes about 5 seconds to develop. The receiver runs 10 yards, breaks to the inside, runs five yards, and then COMPLETELY reverses direction and runs to the corner. I threw it once to Burleson and once to Moss. This is never a primary route because it takes too long to develop, and 90% of the time I'm sacked by the time it even matures. The primary route on that play is Bennett out of the backfield, which is what tore you up tonight (despite my warnings), not the downfield routes. On that play, I go to the TE if I read blitz, the slot receiver is a quick dump if I read zone coverage, the back swinging out of the backfield is the moneymaker, and zig-zag corner route is the #4 guy. That's God's honest truth, and really, I don't think any route that has the receiver going over coffee table, around the sofa, under the lamp, and thru the kitchen should be considered cheese.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Slo said:
Wellie, calm down for a second. I know which three plays that you're talking about. I only agree that one of them was cheese. For your information I abandoned all the things I had planned for tonight out of fear of getting into this kind of squabble. Oh well, I guess we're here anyway. I look forward to what you have cooked up for me in our next meeting.

On the play where you sent me a "WTF??!?!?" message: that route I only ran only once and it was not a corner route, but I'll admit that it is completely cheeseball. I found it and put it in my short notice gameplan this afternoon as a special "I love you" jab especially for you after our conversation today. :D I already had the game in hand at that point, it wasn't a game changer. It's a nearly 50% TD play for me, and it should be banned, imo. The play is out of trips formation with Moss being the inner most receiver. The outside receivers run drags to pick Moss' CB, and Randy does a loop behind the picks and runs a fly. If you throw it to his outside shoulder there is absolutely no way for the safety to get there before moss catches it, and if there is no safety playing over the top it's an easy TD. It got me about 15 yards. I'm sorry if it pissed you off, I honestly thought we'd be chuckling about it after the game. Guess I misjudged things. :-\

The other two plays I take issue with. The route is not the normal corner route that you're all thinking of. It's a double move route, one that is run by the outer most receiver and takes about 5 seconds to develop. The receiver runs 10 yards, breaks to the inside, runs five yards, and then COMPLETELY reverses direction and runs to the corner. I threw it once to Burleson and once to Moss. This is never a primary route because it takes too long to develop, and 90% of the time I'm sacked by the time it even matures. The primary route on that play is Bennett out of the backfield, which is what tore you up tonight (despite my warnings), not the downfield routes. On that play, I go to the TE if I read blitz, the slot receiver is a quick dump if I read zone coverage, the back swinging out of the backfield is the moneymaker, and zig-zag corner route is the #4 guy. That's God's honest truth, and really, I don't think any route that has the receiver going over coffee table, around the sofa, under the lamp, and thru the kitchen should be considered cheese.

Alright, you know what, I've played this game far far more than you have and have seen many a problem that could easily be abused. Next game I will use the Fatigue Glitch, the Punt Block Glitch, Field Goal Block Glitch, Double Corners, and Double Safety Bluffs. I said use, not abuse. They're just 50% touchdowns! I'll show you a special little 'I love you' jab.

I mentioned it in the other season 3 topic, and now it's come to fruition. I knew we'd have some unscrupulous players that weren't in season 2. Sad that I have to drop down to your level, not content with just using a super team but have to cheat with them as well? Pathetic. Consider that I didn't even get into you bringing your safeties up.

At least I got rid of your ridiculous rushing average bringing it down under 200 yards a game.

Slo

I'm sorry you feel that way Wellie. I really think this is much ado about nothing, but have it your way. I'll be the cheater. I really wish this game could've been seen by the other people here, I'm confident I did nothing wrong, and I'm sorry that a Madden league game has corrupted such a fine individual and "brought him down to my level."

I do think it's humourous that you've spent the last two weeks reading off your defender's ratings to me in IRC and bragging about how doomed I am, but now that I've won, I did so only because I'm exploiting Moss and my "Super Team." Are overated super players cool shit when they're on your side and an exploit on my side? Seems so. Weren't you just using me as an example of somebody that doesn't know how to use his team because I haven't gone to Moss enough?

Congrats on bringing down my rushing average. That must have really been eating at you.

Shadax

Banned
Slo said:
That's God's honest truth, and really, I don't think any route that has the receiver going over coffee table, around the sofa, under the lamp, and thru the kitchen should be considered cheese.

Haven't you heard? Any play that works against the league elite has now been banned. ;)

Oh and you face me next week, congrats on the win! :lol

Slo

For those of you concerned about the ethics of my playcalling, I'd be happy to put on a dog and pony show for you to put your minds at ease. I can play most nights after 10 central, I'll run the same plays over and over, and you can try to stop it. Let me know if anyone's interested. If the consensus is that a play should be banned, I'll stop running it. Scout's honor.

Here's the play that I think should be banned. It's an obvious pick play, in real life the flag would be thrown for PI every time it's run. It's nearly uncoverable against Nickel D (a little better against the Dime). Moss is the inside receiver and is always open by atleast 10 yards. The only way you can really stop it is to bump the outside receiver. Moss will run into the bump like a retard and his CB will follow him, pinning him into a massive cluster fuck.
unstoppable.jpg

Here's the play that Wellie is calling cheese on. As I said, the primary receiver is the back on the swing, and I made all kinds of yardage on it tonight (and on other plays too, I ran this play about 7-8 times all game). Don't know what to say about it that hasn't already been said, it's completely stoppable. Maybe not by the vanilla 4-3 man coverage he was in all night, but that's exactly why I ran it. To force him to loosen up the middle in order to cover the backs in the flats. Does he expect me to run into the teeth of his uber-defense, just because they're so uber? No way. Having a better gameplan than your opponent is not cheese. Your opponent's failure to adjust to your gameplan is not cheese.
wellie.jpg

And here's the defense CK is compaining about. I'm simply manually bringing an 8th man into the box for run support whenever he lined up in 2-1-2 (because Wellie hardly ever runs out of anything less than a 2 man backfield). The defender with a square around it is the one I play as. I'm not calling a blitz, I'm not doing the double safety fake blitz, I'm not manually blitzing anyone. The defense is completely beatable. Infact, if you don't take one look at the diagram and know exactly how to beat the defense, immediately sell your copy of Madden and go buy Mario Plays American Football for the GBA. Shadax has smoked me when I try to run this D against him, and I'm sure most of you will burn me on it too, now that you've seen it.
8inthebox.jpg

Shadax

Banned
Slo, have you had anyone pull a Quarter or Dime Flat or Nickel 3-3-5 against that play? Does anyone call anything that's nonstandard against plays (i.e. run against a pass play, or pass against a run play) and use LB/Coverage shifts to switch up the coverage? I have a feeling there's a relatively easy way to stop any play (even the much feared HB Corner and Corner Threat plays that are now banned) that doesn't involve overcompensation on defense.

Ramirez

I run the 3-3-5 more than anyone else in the league and it doesn't help against Corner routes...

Haven't you heard? Any play that works against the league elite has now been banned. ;)

Dude you couldn't beat us when they weren't banned,so whats it matter? :lol

Slo

Shadax said:
Slo, have you had anyone pull a Quarter or Dime Flat or Nickel 3-3-5 against that play? Does anyone call anything that's nonstandard against plays (i.e. run against a pass play, or pass against a run play) and use LB/Coverage shifts to switch up the coverage? I have a feeling there's a relatively easy way to stop any play (even the much feared HB Corner and Corner Threat plays that are now banned) that doesn't involve overcompensation on defense.

Nobody has tried to run Quarter or Dime against it, but that's because I run it out of a 2-1-2 formation. I wouldn't expect them to have to have to play Dime against a balanced formation. I'm not going to tell you how to stop it, but it's very stoppable. :) Load the play up in practice mode and set the defense to randomly select a play from the 4-3 or 3-4 formation. Run the play a dozen times and pay attention to when it works and when it doesn't.

Fifty

That sounds fair, Slo. (facing anyone and proving that plays aren't unstoppable)

By the way, the first play you posted is indeed a bit of an exploit. I wouldn't call it cheese, because I haven't seen it used enough yet (but I have stopped calling it) It worked way too well in season 2. I saw it stopped a few times, but it worked far more than it didn't. I've heard of another madden league actually banning the trips TE formation, and while I'm not proposing that, they might be on to something.

Ramirez

That middle play could easily be stopped with a cover 2 zone,the left CB would pick it or knock it down practically every time...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Slo said:
I do think it's humourous that you've spent the last two weeks reading off your defender's ratings to me in IRC and bragging about how doomed I am, but now that I've won, I did so only because I'm exploiting Moss and my "Super Team." Are overated super players cool shit when they're on your side and an exploit on my side? Seems so.

Congrats on bringing down my rushing average. That must have really been eating at you.

Did I? I hadn't mention it in over a week, but let's analyze exactly how you did on offense. 54 yards of passing on the TD in which Nate Burleson broke a tackle from the pro-bowl safety, Troy Vincent. Is that something I could have done anything about? No? Okay. 44 yards on a floater to Jerome Wiggins who had London Fletcher, another pro-bowler covering him. Fletcher falls down Wiggins runs it in for a TD. And on the plays which I thought unfair (you forgot the trips right with Campbell running the out being free after his defender is picked) 60 yards is a conservative estimate, but one I am sure you'd agree to. So what's that, 158 passing yards on those plays, the entire rest of the game 111 yards of passing? Great job of beating that defense. And a stellar 83 yards on 33 carries? Let's give this man a round of applause. I'm sure you could do the same for my offensive performance, or lack thereof, by removing the 50 yard run by McGahee. But I had always said that the Vikings D is better than it should be in the game, and you have agreed, so that's a moot point.

Did I ever say you only won because of Moss and your super team? Read my post again, you seem to have trouble with reading comprehension. As I said, I played like shit and it was a learning experience.

Does he expect me to run into the teeth of his uber-defense, just because they're so uber?

So which is it, are they good or not?

On the subject of super teams - it was big shit when I was joking about wanting to take the Pats and now it isn't? Don't pretend like you're the only one who gets this.

Weren't you just using me as an example of somebody that doesn't know how to use his team because I haven't gone to Moss enough?

Why are you putting words in my mouth (in my fingers)? I told you over IRC that it was too your credit that with a predominantly passing team you were able to run so well. Let me post exactly what I had said on the prior page.

I think it's more important in this game to know your opponent than to know their team. Bob didn't run much or swing many passes out to LT which is what the Chargers do, and he started hitting his WRs like crazy. Hell, Slo is leading the league in rushing with the VIKINGS. I've had more success with a more utilitarian approach between my own team and anyone else's team. Just think about it, how many GAF players take advantage of the stars on their team (Other than whoever uses the Falcons, for obvious reasons)? Again I bring up Slo and his 15/30 passing totals with Randy Moss on that team.

When you gameplan for the Vikings, as a defensive coordinator, who do you plan for, Moss, Culpepper, and the rest of that receiver corps. right? You're a Vikings fan, I don't have to tell you this. As I said in my post above, the initial post on the subject, you gameplan for the player, not the team he is using. Just so happens that you are leading the league in rushing with the best passing team in the game, so as I was trying to tell Dskillz, gameplan to stop the run against you. I don't see how you'd misinterpret that. As a defensive coordinator you'd want to contain McNabb when you face the Eagles, right? Well Gunstar rarely ever scrambled with him last season. Why waste time with a contain playbook instead of dropping guys back into coverage.

On the middle play, had I played 4-3 man coverage all night you wouldn't have gotten any yardage on the half back swing... which you did. 4-3 cover 3, 3-4 cover 2 and cover 3, along with 3-4 man didn't work. I find it hilarious that you would assume I wouldn't adjust and try something new. And I find it hilarious that you, or anyone else suggest playing quarter/dime man/zone, simply because you had the top rushing attack in the league. I was working within the framework of what I knew would stop the run, trying to find something to contain those plays.

The defense is completely beatable. Infact, if you don't take one look at the diagram and know exactly how to beat the defense, immediately sell your copy of Madden and go buy Mario Plays American Football for the GBA.

You want to talk to me about offense, and are in fact saying that I am too dumb to even be able to react to defensive adjustments? This coming from the man who did absolutely jack and shit with the Colts in season 1? Did you see what I did with my offense, as the Giants, in season 2? It's unfortunate that Bledsoe went down, and that I was tentative to run after that fumble from McGahee, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you think that last night was all I could do with that offense. And, for the record, I ran several times out of 3-1-1 and one out of the 4-0-1. But hey, anything to make you look better huh? Also, please note just how vanilla your offense was until I helped you out after we had played a couple of games. Here were our previous five games against each other.

Code:
Vikings  Bills  Wellie  Loss-6-9  
 Vikings  Bills  Wellie  Loss-10-21  
 Vikings  Bills  Wellie  Loss-0-0  
 Vikings  Giants  Wellie  Loss-7-17  
 Vikings  49ers  Wellie  Win-17-14  
 Vikings  49ers  Wellie  Win-17-10

Held you to a max of 17 points with the Niners, and 7 with the Giants. Don't step to me talking about offense.

You honestly thought I'd be chuckling after the game, after you did a play which you know is indeed cheese, after you creatively misinterpret me giving you props to make it seem like I am telling you how to play, and after I had specifically told you why such plays are considered cheap? Gimme a break.

I'm ready to back up my talk whenever you want. Tonight, tomorrow, our next league game, whenever. I made the adjustements I needed to last night before I went to bed, and without the bit of bad luck I had allowing the two TDs mentioned above and the fumble (which you incidently scored a TD on), I'm sure it'd be a much tighter game.

To all other league players, I apologize for all this.

Matrix

I LIVE FOR THIS SHIT!

that should be the madden GA slogan...I get a kick out of the fighting,even when im involved.

Matrix

do it again!

Fifty

Matrix said:
I LIVE FOR THIS SHIT!

that should be the madden GA slogan...I get a kick out of the fighting,even when im involved.

Same here....It's human nature I guess. You can see Matrix and me standing at the sidelines yelling "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!"

Matrix

Fifty said:
Same here....It's human nature I guess. You can see Matrix and me standing at the sidelines yelling "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!"

You know me well Fifty..

N91.fight.club.1.jpg

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
...And now for something completely different:

I look forward to playing the Bengals next. DaAnswer and I usually have fun games. Him being 3-0 with the Bengals is pretty impressive. I look forward to seeing how his game has changed from using the Steelers.

let me tell you ladies a story.

tim rattay was making his first road start against my most hated team, the packers. the 49ers had FINALLY returned to .500 ball after crushing wins vs. the rams and the steelers. everything was going great. so, we go into lambeau field, and we're playing a great game against the pass. we pick favre off twice, and we are just stuffing that pass like a thanksgiving turkey. our offense isn't being very productive, but it's 10-3. no big deal, we can take them.

then something happens. greenbay lines up in a 3 RB formation and no WR's. do you know what they run? they run a pitch right for 10 yards. next play, pitch left 10 yards. next play, up the middle for 20. over and over and over. THE SAME FUCKING FORMATION. THE SAME FUCKING PLAYS! time and again our defense would be raped. 3rd and 6? run for a first. 1st and 20? run for 15 yards. where was julian peterson? where was our D-line? we got manhandled that game. after the game the packers admitted they called THE SAME EXACT RUNNING PLAY no less than 20 times in the game. i said to myself this is FUCKING BULLSHIT and i wish they would stop running that god damn play. of course, if we had capitalized on earlier turnovers, the packers would have HAD to be in a pass mode because we would have been winning by a large margin. we didn't take care of business on the offensive end.

my point isn't to call the packers a great team, or even a below average team at best. my point is to say that SOME DAYS you get your ass kicked and you say "well jesus fucking christ today was not my day". you shake hands and go your separate ways. i'm not one to take sides and i'm not taking sides here either. everyone here is a grown up and we can handle things as such.

p.s. but this is entertaining

Lonestar

I call cheezits on Matrix, for those 2 long bombs I could nothing about!1111 Gargh, me so angry@@11! :lol :lol

Matrix

I call chedder cheese on your Defense...you were supposed to suck! MADDEN NOOBS CANT BE GOOD!

it's time to play....

WHAT WILL BOBS' REACTION BE! DO DO DO DOO DO!

For $500 and the game, after his game against the 49ers, what will bobs... reaction be? Will it be:

A) Bullshit! I passed 45 times and ran 6 and i still lost! Madden is bullshit!
B) You got fucking lucky! fucking super linebackers! i throw a slant over the middle and somehow the LB in zone picks it off!? proposterous!
C) I can't fucking win! This game is a god damn joke! no matter what i do i lose! I QUIT THIS LEAGUE!
D) God my receivers dropped EVERYTHING! who cares that i got hit!? what do you mean they are rated in the high 70's tops?? Why are you double teaming gates? Why can't I run with the best RB in the game? ALL HORSE SHIT! you suck!

which will IT BE MADDEN LEAGUERS!!!!!!!! only BOB... can decide!

Matrix

Wheres all of the above? :lol

Top Bottom