• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden Thread of Oh We Just Play DOTA2 Now

LiveWire

What card(s) are you running? I picked up a 7970 back in March for my new rig. Wondering whether I should get another for Crossfire or buy a better single card solution, and if so, which vendor?

Somnia

We should've run the newbies against each other in lane. Sending Somnia mid against Trasher is not viable.

I could take the same teams run the draft back and have a game that at least makes it 25 minutes before I call GG and drop. Lina/CM are a good easy lane combo and I'm glad CB and Crow are getting practice with them, it's probably not a whole lot of fun for guys just starting out who know very few characters to have the only heroes in their stable banned and I'm glad we didn't do that

I can play mid pretty well to be honest, but as slark I think I was fucked either way. I should have gone with Zeus =/

Smokey

What card(s) are you running? I picked up a 7970 back in March for my new rig. Wondering whether I should get another for Crossfire or buy a better single card solution, and if so, which vendor?

2 GTX Titans

Don't get crossfire before July 31st. That's when AMD is supposed to release their fix(es). It's broken at the moment. Apparently it's been broken and it wasn't until a new testing methodology came about some months than ago that it was discovered. For single GPU's like you have now they are fine, just missing some of the more advanced features that found in nvidia driver sets. The 7970 is still a beast and you won't get better performance on the green team unless you step up to the 780 or Titan.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Are you guys talking about
04-06-04_Crossfire.jpg

Smokey. Numbers on the board is the first good rap song ive heard in forever.

He was Shadow Fiend.

Really? He's super easy to gank early on. I think slark would be great against him. Especially if you can hit him a couple times with essence shift.

I did notice that Somnia usually levels up dark pact first. You really only need 1 point in that early. You should be shooting to max pounce first.

You should be getting pounce lvl 1, essence shift lvl 2, pounce lvl 3, then dark pact at 4. Then just max pounce as fast as you can while still getting your ult at lvl 6. Hope that helps!

LukeSmith

Really? He's super easy to gank early on. I think slark would be great against him. Especially if you can hit him a couple times with essence shift.

I did notice that Somnia usually levels up dark pact first. You really only need 1 point in that early. You should be shooting to max pounce first.

You should be getting pounce lvl 1, essence shift lvl 2, pounce lvl 3, then dark pact at 4. Then just max pounce as fast as you can while still getting your ult at lvl 6. Hope that helps!

YO THIS WOULDA HELPED LAST NIGHT

Somnia

Thanks, appreciate the advice/tips.

Ferny

AT did you hear about the assault or something in Jersey? Thing is nuts considering the neighborhood. Sure, it could happen anywhere, but I know that area and NOTHING happens there.

If you want to waste like 40 minutes playing to the end you can play MM? When it's over, just gg and go next?

That epic Trashcanman/Luke backdoor game never would have happened in madden gaf 5v5 cause we always quit asap

in other news!

Does everyone in the doto |OT| think they are an S-tier know it all? Feels that way sometimes

Trasher

Yeah at like 10 minutes in then we lost every major team fights over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

The game lasted over an hour IIRC

Luke and I were doing pretty well though. We got farmed pretty fast. Problem was they kept farming you guys!

The biggest problem was how big CK got at the end. Hence why we needed to do the sneak attack to get mega creeps.

Luke and I were doing pretty well though. We got farmed pretty fast. Problem was they kept farming you guys!

The biggest problem was how big CK got at the end. Hence why we needed to do the sneak attack to get mega creeps.

So you are saying that as long as you and Luke do well madden gaf 5v5 games will last longer? ;)

speaking of.... i need to go download that replay

edit---

We should try to get some more noob only games in tonight, guys

Trasher

So you are saying that as long as you and Luke do well madden gaf 5v5 games will last longer? ;)

lol no. That game was completely different. I've lost the point you are trying to make here!

Luke's point was that we don't have to waste time in a game we host ourselves because when it's over it's over. And then you can leave and start up another one.

That MM game where we had the epic finish was actually a close game the whole time because our carries were equally as big as the other team's.

MaddenGAF 5v5 games will last longer once we find a good balance of matchups.

BigAT

AT did you hear about the assault or something in Jersey? Thing is nuts considering the neighborhood. Sure, it could happen anywhere, but I know that area and NOTHING happens there.

The one that was caught on video? That was pretty brutal. I'm surprised they actually released the whole video and not just the guy's face.

lol no. That game was completely different. I've lost the point you are trying to make here!

Luke's point was that we don't have to waste time in a game we host ourselves because when it's over it's over. And then you can leave and start up another one.

That MM game where we had the epic finish was actually a close game the whole time because our carries were equally as big as the other team's.

MaddenGAF 5v5 games will last longer once we find a good balance of matchups.

I think once all of us noobs learns play a few heroes at a serviceable level then we will have much closer games.

TheCrow

Fucking Brad is giving Dazzle a bad name.
Is CB as good as Brad yet? At least CB is involved in most of the team fights.

speaking of.... i need to go download that replay

edit---

We should try to get some more noob only games in tonight, guys

I'm fine with either. I just want to play more DOTA. Maybe I'll try out zeus tonight.

LukeSmith

That epic Trashcanman/Luke backdoor game never would have happened in madden gaf 5v5 cause we always quit asap

in other news!

Does everyone in the doto |OT| think they are an S-tier know it all? Feels that way sometimes

That game would happen in MaddenGAF depending on who got farm. If you and CB had gotten farm in that game it would've been a 10 minute GG.

A huge part about DOTA is making sure the right people get put in the right position which is why Tom and I did 3-1-1 with you guys.

You guys can protect each other in the trilane and hopefully get a kill and he and I get solo XP and solo farm - if we guessed the lanes right (which we usually did) and played the right kinds of heroes (which we usually did), we could pick the game up in the back half.

If you rewatch the game where I was Mirana and Trash was Outworld Destoyer I died 2x quickly and a few minutes later was 4-2 while Tom's Outworld Destroyer is farming.

As a semi-carry, my job was to fill in the gaps for the first 2/3 of the game, get kills and establish early/mid-game presence while trying to generate space for Tom.

That's usually called 4 protect 1, where 4 players roam together to create space for the carry (by pushing other lanes and forcing team fights).

Then, that fifth player, the hard carry, enters the game in the late-mid game and turns teamfights around eventually dominating the game.

LukeSmith

The trilane we ran you guys on Lina, Crystal, SK is great in the newbie 3-1-1 and here's why:

Lina has a sweet nuke (wave of fire or whatever it's called) and a targeted unreliable stun (the latter is hard to land, but, that's why we pair her with 2 reliable stuns).

Reliable Stuns are stuns that can be targeted to a player and will hit the player.

A player using the Sand King's Burrowstrike can click target a player and the scorpion will get in range and deliver the stun.

The second reliable stun is Crystal Maiden's Ice Tomb or whatever the fuck it's called.

Why is this trilane decent in early games?

When coordinated Sand King can burrowstrike and stun the player.
Then, Lina puts her stun on the ground near the player or at the stunned player's feet.
Lina's spell has a wind-up meaning it takes some amount of time to cast the spell and then she will re-stun the player.
Next, Lina fires her nuke at the player.
When Sand King goes in on this player, Crystal Maiden should come up and wait until Lina's stun has wore off.
At that point, Freeze the player with the Ice Tomb.
When the Ice Tomb wears off, put the Ice Patch on the ground.

This is free kills FOR DAYS once coordinated.

eznark

Banned
I just had dinner with some dude and he drives a motherfucking MW3 Jeep. I had no idea these fucking things existed. What the fuck.

That game would happen in MaddenGAF depending on who got farm. If you and CB had gotten farm in that game it would've been a 10 minute GG.

A huge part about DOTA is making sure the right people get put in the right position which is why Tom and I did 3-1-1 with you guys.

You guys can protect each other in the trilane and hopefully get a kill and he and I get solo XP and solo farm - if we guessed the lanes right (which we usually did) and played the right kinds of heroes (which we usually did), we could pick the game up in the back half.

If you rewatch the game where I was Mirana and Trash was Outworld Destoyer I died 2x quickly and a few minutes later was 4-2 while Tom's Outworld Destroyer is farming.

As a semi-carry, my job was to fill in the gaps for the first 2/3 of the game, get kills and establish early/mid-game presence while trying to generate space for Tom.

That's usually called 4 protect 1, where 4 players roam together to create space for the carry (by pushing other lanes and forcing team fights).

Then, that fifth player, the hard carry, enters the game in the late-mid game and turns teamfights around eventually dominating the game.

Was that our first trilane game? It had to have been the first or 2nd cause Im pretty sure we had no idea what we were supposed to be doing.

In a trilane it feels like we should be pretty agreesive and seek kills to offset the loss in XP. We pretty much hung back and barely even farmed creeps cause the lion/CK combo wrecked us. We had no stuns!! lol

Once we switched to that other trilane (Lina/SK/CM) we were waaaaay more aggressive and we were never really under farmed or under leveled.

I guess I didn't see the game from yalls perspective cause it felt like it snowballed out of control. After having a few pub games like that before, I was mostly just walking around waiting for them to win - then you guys sprung the epic back door shenanigans on them and we were right back in it!

Trasher

Yeah tri-lanes are supposed to be very aggressive. Always easy to start off with an immediate first blood as well before you reveal that three heroes are in the lane.

Ferny

When running trilanes you should be aggresive if the team comp calls for it. It also helps to keep the other enemy as far away from the wave as possible to deny them gold and xp. A passive trilane does not help though.

Top Bottom