• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

Barrett2

stawnkald said:
Blank-Picard_Facepalm.jpg

Maybe for the next game they can have it [Hot Shots Golf] take place in the Middle East where you shoot terrorists with a gun built into the handle of the club while playing golf at the same time. That'll sell.

Id' buy it.

icecream

Public Health Threat
sonycowboy said:
[360 Lost Odyssey] = 65K
That puts it at about 270K in the US. Disappointing, but expected. LO, you had a good run.

But was it good enough for the J-RPG future?

jman2050

besada said:
I'm not sure what's so hard to understand. Graphics are and have always been judged based on what's available. Sony and MS raised the bar, and Nintendo sat on it to count their money. They were right that a bunch people didn't care about graphics, but that doesn't make them look any better in comparison to what's available.

Loved my GC, and it looked gorgeous for it's day, but I felt the same way about my Activision.

And why don't people care about graphics? Cause they're "good enough" for most people apparantly. I mean, Uncharted and GT5 and the like all look leagues better than anything on the Wii, but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna stop buying Wii games because they don't look as good as those games. Of course, for those games that are obviously mailed in and truly DO look hideous (which unfortunately is all too often for Wii games), I condemn the devs just as much as the next guy.

Haha I told you Pachter didn't know what the fuck he was talking about. The numbers are huge for Wii. I wonder if it'll continuue that way since the rest of the year's lineup isn't -let's say "great"- for the console.

farnham

Banned
so...

is it possible for nintendo to beat the 360 in america until june... (thats what reggie wanted)

fortified_concept said:
Haha I told you Pachter didn't know what the fuck he was talking about. The numbers are huge for Wii. I wonder if it'll continuue that way since the rest of the year's lineup isn't -let's say "great"- for the console.

Pachter said that the wii will lead and magically drop in 2009 thats when the playstation 3 soul kicks in ....

or something like that

vertopci

Clinton514 said:
Yes, turn my comment into something else.

My point is that I've noticed that most haven't even purchased or even rented games beyond those two titles.

Where am I claiming that they shouldn't play it anymore? :|

That's really not that odd. Look at Halo on the original xbox.
Or casuals and their shitty Wii Sports

I assumed you were claiming they shouldn't be playing it because of the laughing smiley, my bad.

Sharp

fortified_concept said:
Pachter correctly predicted both the Wii and DS hardware numbers.

icecream said:
That puts it at about 270K in the US. Disappointing, but expected. LO, you had a good run.

But was it good enough for the J-RPG future?

What's the LTD in the States for LO?

I'm willing to bet worldwide we're at around 500k.

harSon

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Vegas 2 number is wrong.

[360 Guitar Hero III] = 121.2K
[360 Lost Odyssey] = 65K
[NDS FFCC: Rings of Fate] = 67.3K
[PS3 Hot Shots Golf 5] = 36.2K
[PS3 Rainbow Six Vegas 2] = 154.7K

Yay :)

Iksenpets said:
The 360 vesionof Vegas 2 outsold the PS3 version by a factor of more than 7.5? Has there ever been a multiplatform release with a wider margin between the two consoles than that?
PS3's install base can really only support 1 major game a month, this has been mentioned many times before.

Clinton514

vertopci said:
That's really not that odd. Look at Halo on the original xbox.
Or casuals and their shitty Wii Sports

I assumed you were claiming they shouldn't be playing it because of the laughing smiley, my bad.
It's all good. I'm gonna get whipped for this, but it looks like most of the true gamers are on the 360. *ducks*

Don't worry PS3 is still my primary gaming console. :p

besada

Banned
jman2050 said:
And why don't people care about graphics? Cause they're "good enough" for most people apparantly.

Like I said, Nintendo called that right. That doesn't change the fact that when evaluating graphics the bar always rises. Nintendo traded money for cutting edge visuals. It was obviously a good idea, but in return they had to give up being praised for their visuals. I think they can live with that.

stawnkald said:
Blank-Picard_Facepalm.jpg

Maybe for the next game they can have it take place in the Middle East where you shoot terrorists with a gun built into the handle of the club while playing golf at the same time. That'll sell.

Seriously not trolling, why would anyone buy a golf game on anything other than the Wii? Unless it's to play online, I just don't get it.

Sharp said:

Oops I didn't clarify. I was talking about the PS3 - X360 numbers. Some people had ever started the damage control for X360 which proved unnecessary.

h3ro

What do Burnout Paradise sales look like YTD? PS3? 360?

I really hope the game is doing well... Criterion has gone bat-shit insane supporting and updating the game. Let's not forget FREE DLC Islands/maps... if any dev deserves big numbers, its them...

squicken

I love Metal Gear 4. I think it is the best online experience of any game ever. Same with the single player. Let me swim in the awesome Kojima.

Flakster99

Hot Shots Golf (PS3) 36,200

How the fuck is that even possible for a franscise as venerable as this. I played a bunch of match games this past week at work, yes, we have a PS3 machine in our manager's lounge, and it was a fun experience.

For shame PS3 owners.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
BobJustBob said:
Seriously not trolling, why would anyone buy a golf game on anything other than the Wii? Unless it's to play online, I just don't get it.

Hot Shot Golf 5 is a great fucking game.

besada

Banned
squicken said:
I love Metal Gear 4. I think it is the best online experience of any game ever. Same with the single player. Let me swim in the awesome Kojima.

You've got an early copy?

stawnkald

BobJustBob said:

I'm going to have to go with "because Hot Shots is fucking awesome" as the proper answer.

Paracelsus

BobJustBob said:

Have you ever tried for more than 5 minutes Hot Shots Golf?

Sharp

Also, from the top 100 US+PAL charts for last year, and more specifically the top 40 European charts, it looks like third-party developers are doing pretty well on the Wii in the West. $1 billion in software sales leaves a lot of room below the top 10. I imagine that's where the PS2 is still going strong as well.

h3ro

That fucking Wii is a monster... good lawd... I don't even wanna think about whats going to happen when Wii Fit comes out... this place is going to be one big clusterfuck

(clusterfuck seems to be word of the week in the industry... :p )

C4Lukins

Sharp said:

Which he should get some credit for because most people were low balling them. He overestimated the 360 and PS3, and I think his predictions for how BR and GTA4 are going to influence the PS3 are much to optimistic in the short term.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
indie85 said:
Seems to me that wii is blowing its load early this year, with the next few months with a 'big' game coming out for it, leaving nothing for the holidays. Now that PS3 is the defacto HD movie player, movie releases are as big a deal as game releases, having blu-ray titles like the Dark Knight and Wall-E combing with games like R2 and KZ2, I would not be at ALL surprised if PS3 beats out wii this winter.

Now ensue a 100 NDF :lol posts... zzzz

What between heaven and hell can possess you to think this? Did you not see the comma before the 721? Dude, let it go, it's over, the battle for first place is decided.

BobJustBob said:

Because they want to play games in which the controls work?

h3ro said:
What do Burnout Paradise sales look like YTD? PS3? 360?

I really hope the game is doing well... Criterion has gone bat-shit insane supporting and updating the game. Let's not forget FREE DLC Islands/maps... if any dev deserves big numbers, its them...

See, this is why I don't get this idea that Free DLC helps support the game in the long run. CoD4 charged for maps and they're still in the Top Ten. Burnout is being very generous indeed, and that's great for us, but I still don't see how it makes sense from a business stand point to do active development work, after your game has sold in retail, with no direct compensation for it.

Top Bottom