• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

Evlar

Banned
schuelma said:
Sony response:

PlayStation by the Numbers

March 2008

PS3 Sales Up Nearly 100% Year-Over-Year; PS3 Momentum Continues

Total PlayStation Hardware Unit Sales Top 770,794

PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) continued the strong momentum with 257,120 units sold in March. (according to NPD March 2008 sales data). This represents a year-over-year sales growth of over 98%. More than 1.9 million software units were sold for PS3 in March, representing a year-over-year growth of 139.2%.

The Season of Monster Titles Has Begun: The April releases of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and Grand Theft Auto IV kick off the waterfall of blockbusters coming to PS3 this year, including the exclusive titles Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2 and SOCOM: Confrontation to name a few. These mega hits combined with enthusiasm for Blu-ray promise to further drive PS3 sales throughout 2008.
PLAYSTATION®Network Continues to Thrive: In North America, there are over than 3.7 million registered PLAYSTATION Network accounts and more than 67 million pieces of content have been downloaded from PLAYSTATION Store to date.

PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) continued to boast strong sales with 297,011 PSP hardware units sold in March, up 22.1% over the previous month and representing a sales increase of 65% growth year-over-year. Sales were fueled by the of recent exclusive blockbuster releases of God of War: Chains of Olympus and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, the two best-selling handheld games in the month of March.

PlayStation®2 (PS2) also had an excellent month in March with hardware unit sales reaching 216,485 units. The PLAYSTATION exclusive hit title MLB® 08 THE SHOW™ debuted as the top-selling title for PS2 in March.
Ouch. That stings. Yikes. The entire PS3 catalog outsold by the #1 title, with ~750k to spare.

Lobster

Banned
virtuafightermaster said:
This month Wii had Smash Brother, xbox 360 had no killer app. Plus only games that sell really well on a consistant base are Nintendo games. Third parties still pick Xbox 360 as top console probably

Maybe Nintendo games sell really well because they are the ONLY killer apps on the console?

Whats Wii have from 3rd parties that is comparable to CoD4, GTAIV, Ninja Gaiden?

Fuck Wii doesn't even have third party games like Army of Two or Lost Odyssey.

The fact is, even with a shitload of shit, Wii software still does comparable to 360 software on a yearly/monthly/weekly/dayly basis..

Bluemercury said:
I like the whole wii games quality questioning, then i see VEGAS 2 and Army of two in the main positions of the top10........:lol

Looking at a review site, for example IGN. The number of 9+ reviewed Xbox 360 games and PS3 games are more than Wii's.

If you you added up every Wii game score and take the average, it will probably lower than xbox 360 and PS3.

Lobster

Banned
virtuafightermaster said:
Looking at a review site, for example IGN. The number of 9+ reviewed Xbox 360 games and PS3 games are more than Wii's.

If you you added up every Wii game score and take the average, it will probably lower than xbox 360 and PS3.

You just proved my point.

Wii doesn't have 3rd party games that are comparable to 360/Ps3 games.

Sharp

schuelma said:
Sony response:

March 2008

PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) continued the strong momentum with 257,120 units sold in March. (according to NPD March 2008 sales data). This represents a year-over-year sales growth of over 98%. More than 1.9 million software units were sold for PS3 in March, representing a year-over-year growth of 139.2%.

The Season of Monster Titles Has Begun: The April releases of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and Grand Theft Auto IV kick off the waterfall of blockbusters coming to PS3 this year, including the exclusive titles Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2 and SOCOM: Confrontation to name a few. These mega hits combined with enthusiasm for Blu-ray promise to further drive PS3 sales throughout 2008.
PLAYSTATION®Network Continues to Thrive: In North America, there are over than 3.7 million registered PLAYSTATION Network accounts and more than 67 million pieces of content have been downloaded from PLAYSTATION Store to date.

PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) continued to boast strong sales with 297,011 PSP hardware units sold in March, up 22.1% over the previous month and representing a sales increase of 65% growth year-over-year. Sales were fueled by the of recent exclusive blockbuster releases of God of War: Chains of Olympus and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, the two best-selling handheld games in the month of March.

PlayStation®2 (PS2) also had an excellent month in March with hardware unit sales reaching 216,485 units. The PLAYSTATION exclusive hit title MLB® 08 THE SHOW™ debuted as the top-selling title for PS2 in March.
I wish they'd give us revenue so we could figure out percentage of total software sales and maybe extrapolate something about what's below the top ten. But that's not looking likely to happen :(

Bluemercury said:
I like the whole wii games quality questioning, then i see VEGAS 2 and Army of two in the main positions of the top10........:lol

Army of Two is a great co-op experience and Vegas 2 is a great multiplayer experience.

Sony said:

March 2008

Smash > entire PS3 library
Top 5 360 titles > entire PS3 library

The press release parrots the SDF mantra of "wait until xxx title comes out"

Sales dropped from 70k/week to 50k/week despited Blu-ray's victory

No mention of Killzone 2

Sony needs to hire Microsoft's spin masters!!!

You know, that's actually pretty rough for Nintendo. Their biggest game of the generation and it can't manage to outsell Halo 3, despite being anywhere from $10-$80 cheaper, being out for twice as long, and having more people to sell it to.

Lobster

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Yes because as you mentioned, Army of Two is a killer app.

No I didn't.

Fuck Wii doesn't even have third party games like Army of Two or Lost Odyssey.

I didn't at all say these were Killer apps..I said that Wii doesn't even have third party games like these..

Whats Wii have from 3rd parties that is comparable to CoD4, GTAIV, Ninja Gaiden?

However, I did list these as killer apps.

Son of Godzilla said:
You know, that's actually pretty rough for Nintendo. Their biggest game of the generation and it can't manage to outsell Halo 3, despite being anywhere from $10-$80 cheaper, being out for twice as long, and having more people to sell it to.

Whats rough is that Nintendo probably made more money since they didn't spend more than the games budget on advertising :lol

Son of Godzilla said:

It only took about 1000 posts...

Sharp said:
I wish they'd give us revenue so we could figure out percentage of total software sales and maybe extrapolate something about what's below the top ten. But that's not looking likely to happen :(

It's likely around the $95-105 million range, since most PS3 titles are selling at or near full-price.

dammitmattt said:
Army of Two is a great co-op experience and Vegas 2 is a great multiplayer experience.

Smash > entire PS3 library
Top 5 360 titles > entire PS3 library

The press release parrots the SDF mantra of "wait until xxx title comes out"

Sales dropped from 70k/week to 50k/week despited Blu-ray's victory

No mention of Killzone 2

Sony needs to hire Microsoft's spin masters!!!

Army of two is a weak game and Vegas 2 is a pretty standard game probably not worth talking about.....

MisterHero

Son of Godzilla said:
I think we can count on Japan to balance it out. ;)

Sharp

Son of Godzilla said:
Yeah, you're right. Sakurai's probably crying himself to sleep right around now.

Heh. Your opinion and taste are in the minority.

Now that's what I don't understand. It's so shallow that I can't see why anyone would buy a system for it. The only games that are really worth playing are tennis and bowling, but even they become repetitive rather quickly. Boxing's controls are awful, with specific punches only registering if motions are performed with extreme accuracy, baseball is a horrid misrepresentation of the sport, with frustrating pitching controls (seriously... you can't move your arm backward in a wind up motion without inadvertently throwing the ball before you intended, which results in poor, slow pitches. The controls for this are totally awful) and no depth whatsoever, offensively and defensively (fielding is on "auto-pilot", hitting is based solely on timing, there's no stealing, runners only advance as many bases as hitters, baserunning is also computer controlled, etc). I just don't see why anyone who enjoys games would be pleased with a compilation of neutered sports minigames. The motion sensitive controls were fun as a novelty, but I quickly grew tired of them when I realized that the game didn't recognize realistic motions nearly as well as it responded to concise "waggles".

Bluemercury said:
Army of two is a weak game and Vegas 2 is a pretty standard game probably not worth talking about.....

That's your opinion. 1.7 million owners disagree.

How much time did you put into these two games?

Evlar

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
I know. I was saying this exact thing at the start of the generation. "If Smash Brothers isn't the best selling game of the generation then Nintendo is doomed!" It's probably in my post history.

But guys, PS3 is cleaning up, probably 10 to 1 against the 360 in Europe, so even with 360>PS3 in the U.S., PS3>>>>>360 worldwide, amirite? PS3 to surpass 360 by end of December confirmed. Year of the PS3, bitches.

Sharp

dammitmattt said:
It's likely around the $95-105 million range, since most PS3 titles are selling at or near full-price.
So PS3 software sales were about 10% of the total? Good to know. I wish the other three would have given us some numbers, though, as it would make things much easier. Or (and I realize I've already asked for this once and we're not going to get it) maybe a console-specific top ten?

Arde5643

Bluemercury said:
Perhaps, but there's something to be said when even Wii doesn't have big budget B- or A- grade games like that.

bigmakstudios said:
Now that's what I don't understand. It's so shallow that I can't see why anyone would buy a system for it. The only games that are really worth playing are tennis and bowling, but even they become repetitive rather quickly. Boxing's controls are awful, with specific punches only registering if motions are performed with extreme accuracy, baseball is a horrid misrepresentation of the sport, with frustrating pitching controls (seriously... you can't move your arm backward in a wind up motion without inadvertently throwing the ball before you intended, which results in poor, slow pitches. The controls for this are totally awful) and no depth whatsoever, offensively and defensively (fielding is on "auto-pilot", hitting is based solely on timing, there's no stealing, runners only advance as many bases as hitters, baserunning is also computer controlled, etc). I just don't see why anyone who enjoys games would be pleased with a compilation of neutered sports minigames. The motion sensitive controls were fun as a novelty, but I quickly grew tired of them when I realized that the game didn't recognize realistic motions nearly as well as it responded to concise "waggles".

It's like a board game. You pull it out once every month or two and the whole family can have fun for a few hours.

It's just an extremely expensive board game.

papercut

dammitmattt said:
That's your opinion. 1.7 million owners disagree.

How much time did you put into these two games?

What kind of argument is that? A lot of people bought Enter the Matrix as well, so it must obviously be quality right?

Ceres

Banned
BigDubs said:
I don't get why so many say that the wii has won this generation. Sure the hardware sales are unprecedented for the wii but the hardware only exists to play the GAMES. Software is why we're all here in the first place and software is where the money is made in this industry. The 360 is kicking huge amounts of ass when it comes to software sales and is the rightful winner of this generation at this point!

Uh... Have you compared the Wii hardware sales to all other consoles? It's unprecedented compared to them all. It's selling faster than the PS2. Software wise it's not that much of a slouch unless you're one of those snobby gamers that won't acknowledge stuff like WiiPlay, Carnival Games, etc. And much like the Wii hardware is unprecedented, the 360 software sales are at a level of their own. However, as their hardware has a smaller and smaller percentage of the market, how well with that ratio hold up?

MisterHero

Slavik81 said:
So when can we start claiming Sony and Microsoft will be going 3rd party?
They don't produce enough software to be true 3rd-parties but rather (for the most part) hold developers and publish their games. So they'd probably break up in the atmosphere and let most of their studios go seperate ways if that were to happen.

Well that's what I think.
i'm crazy
:lol

Son of Godzilla said:

Wii Sports hasn't outsold Halo 3???

Slavik81

bigmakstudios said:
That's because nobody did buy the system for it. It's not the game itself that is fantastic. It's that the game perfectly expresses what the Wii's about and the second you see Wii Sports, you can imagine all kinds of awesome ways to use it that were totally impossible in previous generations.

Tobor

bigmakstudios said:

You don't understand why fun games are fun. We get it.

Did you not understand Tetris either?

Slavik81 said:
That's because nobody did buy the system for it. It's not the game itself that is fantastic. It's that the game perfectly expresses what the Wii's about and the second you see Wii Sports, you can imagine all kinds of awesome ways to use it that were totally impossible in previous generations.

I highly disagree. Casual gamers aren't buying stuff for potential. PS3 owners do that. Wii buyers are buying it because Wii Sports looks fun and it's the hot thing to get.

Anasui Kishibe said:
it's a shitty argument. Meet the Spartans earned a lot

Well, I've played through both games multiple times and I disagree with his assessment. Bluemercury's credentials are considerably more suspect.

So does that improve my argument?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Because the 1.7 million who bought it love them right?
I bought Vegas 2 and hated it.

yup yup.
people who love the first one hate the second one because of what they did to Terrorist hunt.

In the first one, there was always a heavy randomness and the AI never felt cheap.

In two, you have things like enemies spawning, being insanely dumb (hello sitting at the bottom of a repel !) , being able to snipe you with a shotgun across an entire map etc etc...

I'd say "This needs patched" but it seems inherently broken. The AI probably did have a few tricks in the first one to futher the illusion, but it always felt different.

Gah, in 4 players it helps , but yes - biggest disappointment of the year.

Also - the ACES system ended up being less than i expected.
And headshots taking precedence is annoying! +1 for a headshot? +3 for a long distance kill? Long distance headshot = +1 :(

Could have/should have been sooooo much better. :(

That's said, it's still worth a shot. I wouldn't call it completely awful, just a massive let down.

Army of Two is average. It's , again, not awful, but it's not the pinacle of gaming.

bigmakstudios said:

Bowling, tennis and golf are really fun.....and i had most of my family playing it too.....still its supposed to be a demo and yet the fact that today pple still talks about it, is pretty revealing.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
dammitmattt said:
It's a better argument than one man's uninformed opinion.

At what point does an opinion of a game that somebody paid $60 for become informed? This isn't Kirby's Air Ride.

Slavik81

dammitmattt said:
I highly disagree. Casual gamers aren't buying stuff for potential. PS3 owners do that. Wii buyers are buying it because Wii Sports looks fun and it's the hot thing to get.
Early adopters don't buy a console for specific games. They buy it for a new and interesting experience, knowing that more games will come.

Evlar

Banned
dammitmattt said:
And then, just for shits, these same people buy 2.7 million copies of a party mascot pillowfighter.

Top Bottom