• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

Pimpbaa

Ceres said:
Yes, the Wii is my secondary console... to the DS.

The PS3 is third yet the games are even secondary to the blu-ray movies at this point.

That's cool and all. I don't hate non-gamers. But this is a forum for gamers. Perhaps try the off-topic forums. Maybe they talk about the wii in there.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pimpbaa said:
I dunno why some are happy with the Wii sales. Sure some of us gamers here on gaf may have it as our secondary console and/or third. But we all should have a 360 or ps3 as our main consoles since we are real gamers. Cheering for the sucess of the console for non-gamers is a cheer for the death of our hobby.

*looks at Blu-ray*

Yup Nintendo sure is giving the shaft to the gamers by getting more people involved with them...hey I remember this. Its the same as when the Playstation DID THE EXACT SAME THING!

Tabris said:
360 is my most played console but it's going to be third place this generation once the PS3 starts exploding with sales later this year.

Why would it explode, exactly? Judging just on sales expectations, the 360 and PS3 lineups are fairly similar this year.

studio810 said:
But the average consumer could give two fucks about graphics. Developers not seeing this is what is baffling.
3rd party sales say :lol 360 software :lol even harder. i mean give it a rest. we'd still be on 2600s if this were the case.

Ceres

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
That's cool and all. I don't hate non-gamers. But this is a forum for gamers. Perhaps try the off-topic forums. Maybe they talk about the wii in there.

Oooo. My favorite argument. Yeah, I'm sorry I enjoy non-games like RE4, Brawl, Galaxy, Phantom Hourglass, Castlevania DS games, Advance Wars, etc.

Pimpbaa

HK-47 said:
*looks at Blu-ray*

Yup Nintendo sure is giving the shaft to the gamers by getting more people involved with them...hey I remember this. Its the same as when the Playstation DID THE EXACT SAME THING!

No, nintendo is just switching it's demographic. But that's fine, whatever they gotta do to stay relevant.

Arde5643

Pimpbaa said:
You're failing real badly as a joke poster, see Drinky Crow or Gigglepoo on what to post to incite both humor and defensive reaction, rather than just idiotic blathers like you have so far.

F-- for your effort so far.

Try harder, please.

Pimpbaa said:

That's pretty ridiculous. The Wii is my most played home console by a fair margin and I've spent less than fifteen minutes combined on Wii Sports, Wii Play etc. I'm not sure why it's so weird for someone to find very little interest in the majority of the games on the 360 or PS3.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
MobiusPigeon said:
3rd party sales say :lol 360 software :lol even harder

Yep, the 360 definitely does do VERY well to certain demographics of gamers. It seems like a lot more people DON'T fall into those demographics though.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The 360 will have the same/more total sales this year as the PS3 will. In terms of hardware, of course. Software won't even be close.

Pimpbaa

Rancid Mildew said:
That's pretty ridiculous. The Wii is my most played home console by a fair margin and I've spent less than fifteen minutes combined on Wii Sports, Wii Play etc. I'm not sure why it's so weird for someone to find very little interest in the majority of the games on the 360 or PS3.

I know it's hard letting go of your once favorite hobby. Playing the wii is not the anwser. Just let it go man. Find another hobby like building RC airplanes. It's quite a rewarding hobby.

vanguardian1 said:
Yep, the 360 definitely does do VERY well to certain demographics of gamers. It seems like a lot more people DON'T fall into those demographics though.

I was in the process of posting this but you beat me to it

360 *TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS 2 UBISOFT Mar-08 752.3K
360 ARMY OF TWO ELECTRONIC ARTS Mar-08 606.1K
360 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K8 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Mar-08 237.1K
360 *CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION Nov-07 237K

Very good sales but not much in the way of diversity

Narcosis

siamesedreamer said:
Man...what's up with the drop off for 360 and especially the PS3?

I would have bet a month's salary both would have been over 300k.

360 allegedly has shortages, PS3 has no 80 gigs in stores anywhere and no real "system sellers" released during the NPD weeks listed here.

I'm not shocked at all by the lower than 300K for either.

I'm more shocked by the lower PS2 numbers than anything else on this NPD.

Pimpbaa said:
I know it's hard letting go of your once favorite hobby. Playing the wii is not the anwser. Just let it go man. Find another hobby like building RC airplanes. It's quite a rewarding hobby.

I'm playing the same genres I've been playing since I began gaming.

Tabris

AlteredBeast said:
The 360 will have the same/more total sales this year as the PS3 will. In terms of hardware, of course. Software won't even be close.

I disagree, I bet you grand theft auto 4 will have just as much sales on the PS3, if not more. Add to that you will see MGS4 explode on the scene. PS3 will have an amazing Q3/Q4 and will outsell 360 for both hardware and software this year.

FartOfWar

Banned
257lxmd.jpg

Shocking how much more (relatively) sold of Rainbow 6 on 360 compared to PS3.

tie-ratios:

Army of Two: 5.5% (PS3) v 6.1% (360)
360 outsells PS3 2.7 : 1

R6V2: 3.8% (PS3) v 7.6% (360)
360 outsells PS3 4.9 : 1

USA LTD hardware 360 is outselling PS3 (2.4 : 1).

Now compare these tie-ratios to two more recent big multiplatform games:

Burnout: 2.4% (PS3) v 1.54% (360)
360 outsells PS3 1.7 : 1

DMC4: 6.1% (PS3) v 3.07% (360)
360 outsells PS3 1.3 : 1

These numbers should be very telling as to what might happen with GTA next month. One hypotheis is that the 360 crowd just seems to like shooters more than PS3 users. The sales disparities for Army of Two is about where one would expect based on installed base but sales for R6V2 are above and beyond what should be expected based on installed based differences.

A second hypothesis, and I believe the more likely one, is that franchises that known as playstation franchises (burnout & dmc) sell, relatively, more units on PS3 than on 360. If this is the case the next month we should see sales ratios for GTAIV much closer to those of Burnout & DMC4 (~1.5 : 1) in the US as compared to franchises that are more platform agnostic (Army of Two). This theory of title-platform association would also explain the large disparity in sales between 360 and PS3 versions of R6V2.

R6Vegas is a franchise that started on 360 and the sequel sells at about double the tie ratio on 360 compared to PS3. DMC is a series that started on PS2 and sells @ double the tie-ratio on PS3 compared to 360. Burnout, another PS-centric franchise sells at a 160% the tie-ratio of burnout on 360. This series is not as tightly linked to PS as DMC is. Makes me really wonder what's going to happen next month with GTA and how it may or may not differentially effect hardware numbers. It'll be interesting to see how the Playstation-GTA association holds up against the cheaper 360 hardware price.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Pimpbaa said:

Wow. Just wow. 0.o All I can do is pray this is a joke post. >.<

Wow I actually thought the PS3 would outsell the 360 this month and holy mother of god at the Wii's hardware figures.

360 still a software beast as expected.

Pimpbaa said:
I dunno why some are happy with the Wii sales. Sure some of us gamers here on gaf may have it as our secondary console and/or third. But we all should have a 360 or ps3 as our main consoles since we are real gamers. Cheering for the sucess of the console for non-gamers is a cheer for the death of our hobby.

While not an idiotic meme, this should be banworthy. Smash Bros existance alone confirms Wii as my primary console.

To qualify as a real gamer, you have to have some semblance of how the videogames industry works. If the Wii is only for non-gamers, than i suppose 2.7 million soccer moms and grandmas decided to partake in Brawl? Nintendo is winning in sales....by a LOT, because they are doing the best job of keeping the gamer and the non-gamer happy. MS and Sony are only succeeding in one of those areas, and arent even doing it very well. Neither is selling anywhere near the rate PS2 was during the same timeframe.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
siamesedreamer said:
Man...what's up with the drop off for 360 and especially the PS3?

I would have bet a month's salary both would have been over 300k.

360 needs a price drop, can't really call it on the PS3 side.

Soule

Pimpbaa said:
LIES you're obviously a non-gamer joke character in a clever guise. I bet you're secretly plotting to buy WiiFit and enjoy it more than GTAIV aren't you, you sick son of a bitch.

legend166

I can't believe that people are still trying to pull out the "Wii doesn't sell software" line. Especially considering the fact that for the last 3-4 months, it has beat, or at the very least, been very close to, 360 software sales. And this is with a smaller userbase.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
ninjavanish said:
It'll be interesting to see how the Playstation-GTA association holds up against the cheaper 360 hardware price.

Watch the advertising for this in the next week. Association for this particular GTA is going to go somewhere else.

Tabris said:
I disagree, I bet you grand theft auto 4 will have just as much sales on the PS3, if not more. Add to that you will see MGS4 explode on the scene. PS3 will have an amazing Q3/Q4 and will outsell 360 for both hardware and software this year.

lol, no. The 360 version will double the sales of the PS3 version in the first month. That's based on user bases alone, and considering the 360 will still have a larger user base than the PS3 by the end of the year, I fully expect the 360 version of GTAIV to continue outselling the PS3 version

Pimpbaa

Rancid Mildew said:
I'm playing the same genres I've been playing since I began gaming.

I feel so sorry for you. I know I haven't thrown away my first girlfriends phone number, but sometimes you just need to let it go and move on.

Saitou

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
YOUR MELTDOWN IS DELICIOUS

YOUR BITTER TEARS FUEL MY DARK SOUL! MORE! GIVE ME MORE!

Opiate

I think all of the factors are true, NinjaVanish: this isn't a situation where one cause has to be the only one.

As a side note, your post gives tangential weight to the decision by third parties not to move their major franchises over to the Wii. Regardless of demographic differences (of which there are many), I also suspect that many franchises would take a mild hit in the transition simply because people do not know to seek out those types of games on a new and different platform.

ninjavanish said:
A second hypothesis, and I believe the more likely one, is that franchises that known as playstation franchises (burnout & dmc) sell, relatively, more units on PS3 than on 360. If this is the case the next month we should see sales ratios for GTAIV much closer to those of Burnout & DMC4 (~1.5 : 1) in the US as compared to franchises that are more platform agnostic (Army of Two). This theory of title-platform association would also explain the large disparity in sales between 360 and PS3 versions of R6V2.

R6Vegas is a franchise that started on 360 and the sequel sells at about double the tie ratio on 360 compared to PS3. DMC is a series that started on PS2 and sells @ double the tie-ratio on PS3 compared to 360. Burnout, another PS-centric franchise sells at a 160% the tie-ratio of burnout on 360. This series is not as tightly linked to PS as DMC is. Makes me really wonder what's going to happen next month with GTA and how it may or may not differentially effect hardware numbers. It'll be interesting to see how the Playstation-GTA association holds up against the cheaper 360 hardware price.

I still think when it comes to GTA4, all precedent is out the window. Very few people in the grand scheme of things jumped into next gen for Burnout or DMC. I know plenty of people just in my AIM list who have gone Next Gen in the past month in preparation for Niko's Story: We Are The Night.

vanguardian1 said:

Yes, a lot of people who didnt own a PS2 during its prime dont fall into that demographic.

Nintendo marketing genius FTW.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Pimpbaa said:
No, nintendo is just switching it's demographic. But that's fine, whatever they gotta do to stay relevant.
:lol :lol :lol

the cry of hardcore gamers everywhere as their favorite consoles shift even further back in second and third place. But that's fine, whatever you gotta do to justify it.

ooohh.. can we get the "360 isn't really competing with nintendo, it's with sony, and that's where it really matters" line while you're at it? or at the very least give us "Well yeah, but it's going to all casuals and kids. No gamer uses a wii as their main system."

it's like a never ending stream of whines and excuses!!!

Tabris

PhoenixDark said:
lol, no. The 360 version will double the sales of the PS3 version in the first month. That's based on user bases alone, and considering the 360 will still have a larger user base than the PS3 by the end of the year, I fully expect the 360 version of GTAIV to continue outselling the PS3 version

Well we'll find out in what? a month and a half. I'll be ready for that thread.

This one doesn't matter as while it's showing the rise of the PSP in Japan (notice how they don't make handheld charts anymore since PSP started owning the DS weekly) starting to affect the US shores, the PS3 doesn't have the fuel for it's rise to heaven yet. So we're just waiting.

borghe said:

the cry of hardcore gamers everywhere as their favorite consoles shift even further back in second and third place. But that's fine, whatever you gotta do to justify it.

I dunno why anyone would cry. The marketing schemes show us; Nintendo for everybody, Sony/MS for the commonplace style of gaming.

All 3 companies will cash in.

Tabris said:

Jeezus... :lol

Tom Penny

AlteredBeast said:
The 360 will have the same/more total sales this year as the PS3 will. In terms of hardware, of course.

Well it better start outselling the PS3 in the US by a large margin because when you combine Europe , Japan and everywere else it's getting outsold every single week .

Saitou

Banned
Tabris said:

This one doesn't matter as while it's showing the rise of the PSP in Japan (notice how they don't make handheld charts anymore since PSP started owning the DS weekly) starting to affect the US shores, the PS3 doesn't have the fuel for it's rise to heaven yet. So we're just waiting.
Sometimes, I wonder about you Tabris.

And I scratch my head.

Opiate

jordan0386 said:
I dunno why anyone would cry. The marketing schemes show us; Nintendo for everybody, Sony/MS for the commonplace style of gaming.

All 3 companies will establish respectable user bases, I think, but "cash in" is the wrong term here.

Nintendo is making loads of money, and its likely that both Sony and Microsoft will -- net total, over the course of this generation -- lose a substantial amount.

But yes, no one should cry. All 3 systems are getting great games.

Pimpbaa

borghe said:

You can't compare the sales of a general user appliance like a wii or microwave to that of a video game console.

Ceres

Banned
Tabris said:

So... you wrote the Sony PR didn't you?
Rise to heaven?
Waterfall of blockbusters?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
jordan0386 said:

ehh.. bullshit. IF Nintendo is not common place, why are they getting games like No More Heroes, Monster Hunter 3, Trauma Center, not to mention mainstream titles like GH, Rock Band (sigh), and all the licensed bullshit. There is PLENTY of commonplace gaming to be had on wii. plenty. saying anything else is why people get made fun of for claiming the wii is somehow inferior in traditional gaming to the other two. And obviously I left out Nintendo as a publisher to avoid being called on that, but nintendo has put out some of the absolute best "traditional" games this generation so far... for a system that houses all of that, it's pretty disingenuous to claim it's marketed solely to a separate demo.

Tabris said:

Please explain how the rise of the PSP in Japan is having an effect on US shores. Granted, Japan is now PSP Land - no argument there. But the US is dominated by the DS, and while the PSP had a good month I don't expect it to do much of anything else for awhile.

ZombieSupaStar said:
i just want some cool 3RD party stuff on wii (like the snes) era, all I own right now are the nintendo stuff (and re4, and remakes gc).

(oh and old vc stuff, I WOULD KILL FOR SE SHIT)

No More Heroes, PES 2008 and Zack and Wiki. Buy those and be glad you did!

Oh and can someone tell Pimpbaa to STFU? Thanks.

MisterHero

Only Nintendo can 'Rise to Heaven'.

Yamauchi invented that term!

'Falling to Purgatory' is probably the Yamauchi-ism you're looking for when talking about Sony

Top Bottom