• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario 64 DS thread

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
When Mario ate that mushroom, got super sized, and started kicking those balls around, the biggest smile ever formed on my face. :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Why does Mario become a balloon and Wario turns to metal? Wario's already turned into a fat floating blob in his games.

Dan

True enough I guess.

Still not sure I like the hat thing and then each character having their own power. Seems like it could be annoying and lead to lots of backtracking to a place where you can switch characters.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
The point of the hat is to make sure you don't get into situations like that. So for example, you enter a level as Luigi, but needs Wario's skills to get the star. You're meant to play the challenge as Wario really, but going back to that room to change characters everytime could be tiresome, so instead you just find the hat in the level and you get his abilities and appearance (but not his sounds amusingly).

I think it's going to generally remove more back tracking than it adds.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
How many mini games are there? I think I might actually find myself playing those games more than the actual game itself. That sling shot minigame and the one where you guide Mario to the goal look really fun, yet simple

Dan

But it's still more backtracking than the original Super Mario 64. I'm just not sure I'm seeing the payoff from the other characters. They have different powers, and Luigi can jump higher and Yoshi can eat things and throw eggs, but what's the payoff? Anything major or just some variety in how you do the little tiny gameplay elements like climbing that mountain with the falling boulders or how you choose to kill enemies?

Mama Smurf

Dan said:
But it's still more backtracking than the original Super Mario 64. I'm just not sure I'm seeing the payoff from the other characters. They have different powers, and Luigi can jump higher and Yoshi can eat things and throw eggs, but what's the payoff? Anything major or just some variety in how you do the little tiny gameplay elements like climbing that mountain with the falling boulders or how you choose to kill enemies?

Well those those "tiny" things (which don't seem so tiny to me), and the worlds have been redesigned a bit too to accomodate them. For example, there are certain blocks only Wario can break.

Look at it this way, you can play the entire game as Yoshi if you want (according to what's been said so far anyway) and never have to change characters. Tracking down the hat will take no time (and might actually be fun if they give them to enemies who run away or make it a game challenege in itself to get it etc.) as you can see it's position on the map.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Psh

I think the inclusion of changing characters is good. After watching that 16 min movie, my interest sky-rocketed. As far as back-tracking is concerned, it's not like you have to waste 5-10 mins just to get a hat, it's a simple jump, butt-stomp and there you go.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I was planning on buying this game before, but that video got me HYPED.

I really wanted to see the touch analogue control, too. Hopefully someone will report on it.

So is Nintendo going to release like a 'needle point' that attaches to your thumb as that you can use it as a stylus for the analog control?

Soul4ger

1UP reported on the analog control. Apparently, to do it effectively, Nintendo recommends that a person wraps a wristband around their finger? Not sure what that is, or how that works... They say it's awkward.

Memles

As they say, this crazy wristband thing is very confusing at this point. Not sure exactly what it was; hopefully someone can get a chance to use analog control with it.

Mama Smurf

To clarify, 1up don't say the wristband is awkward, they haven't got to try that yet, they say that the touchscreen controls without the wristband are.

I'm not that concerned anymore anyway. The camera and run button should fix most problems you could have using a D pad instead of an analogue stick.

Soul4ger

Mama Smurf said:
To clarify, 1up don't say the wristband is awkward, they haven't got to try that yet, they say that the touchscreen controls without the wristband are.

I'm not that concerned anymore anyway. The camera and run button should fix most problems you could have using a D pad instead of an analogue stick.

Yeah, sorry I didn't clarify that. The game looks awesome, nonetheless.

Future

I thought people were saying there was no control of the camera? In that vid he was rotating it just fine with the touch screen.

Well this is a must have for me now. Almost dismissed it because I usually don't go for the remakes (didn't buy any of the Mario Advances), but this looks like it has a lot of polish to it. Much more than a tired inclusion of the original Mario Bros.s or something like that. Good stuff.

This is perfect too. Was gonna get me an SP cuz I still have the original Advance, but now I might as well just grab a DS since it plays all the GBA games. Things look extremely positive for the DS right now.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
dark10x said:
PlayStation lacks a Z-buffer, for one thing. It would seem that the DS is perfectly capable of perspective correction. That, in and of itself, makes a huge difference.

It does not seem to be built-in in the GPU:

ss02a.jpg

The texture is clearly warping there.

snapty00

Banned
A developer on the IGNboards confirmed months and months ago that it has a hardware Z-buffer. That's why the graphics don't look even worse.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
MUSIC, NEW MINI-GAMES, SUPER MARIO 64 + new levels = MINE MINE MINE MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

olimario

Banned
There's a mario sunshine level.
I wonder if yoshi has to avoid the water.

Theres so much new content.
THis is worth 150.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
web-Byron%20Sunshine%20RT.jpg

Super Mario 64 on portable with great quality music, faithful graphuics and new interesting content is like that picture.... beautiful.

MINE MINE MINE MINE :(:(:(:(.

Grubdog

Banned
Wow, just watched it in motion, i'm blown away! The best game of all time just got better! :D

This will sell a million in the US before the end of the year.

What do we know about DS audio capability? How much improved over GBA is it? From watching that 16 min Mario 64 movie, what I heard sounded nearly identical to the n64 version (of course N64 didn't have very good sound but still).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PanopticBlue said:
What do we know about DS audio capability? How much improved over GBA is it? From watching that 16 min Mario 64 movie, what I heard sounded nearly identical to the n64 version (of course N64 didn't have very good sound but still).

It's hard to say at this point...

N64 "quality" isn't quality at all, so I would hope that they go beyond that...

Nintendo always seems to give audio the shaft. I wish they would come to realize how important it can be...

I mean, GC has good audio capabilities...but most Nintendo made titles barely edge out Nintendo 64 music.

Just watching the video....

This is now officially my most anticipated game after GTA:SA. I think I'm gonna have to skimp and save so that I can import a DS. :)

GIR

Banned
mms://a1979.m.akastream.net/7/1979/5372/1/gamespot.download.akamai.com/5372/netshow/gslive/300k/mariods_demo1007.asf

Works fine with Streambox VCR.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
PanopticBlue said:
Gamespot's impressions seem to indicate that the music of SM64 DS is spot-on, so the DS' audio capabilities should be at least N64 level.

Oh, and this is possibly the most cliched thing to say about DS screenshots, but: they don't do this game justice. It looks positively outstanding in motion.

Swordian

Mama Smurf said:
Did anyone listen to the music in the new level? Was it new? Never thought to take note.

This is how a port should be done. I really thought it was just going to be Mario 64 with a multiplayer, which seemed fair enough, but with the new additions I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

The new level with the purple gas? That was the music from Hazy Maze Cave. It's the remix of the original SMB underground theme.

This video really hyped me up for the game. The E3 stuff just looked kind of unappealing and I thought the graphics looked distinctly worse than the original. Now I'm impressed by how good it looks and all the new content. Between this and Advance Wars DS, I think I need a DS.

MaddenNFL64

snapty00

Banned
What happens when Super Mario 64 DS first boots up? Do you get to play with Mario's face, or does it have a plain, shitty title screen?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
snapty00 said:
What happens when Super Mario 64 DS first boots up? Do you get to play with Mario's face, or does it have a plain, shitty title screen?

You get to play with Yoshi's face or whatever with the touch screen, or you can draw your own picture on the title screen

snapty00

Banned
Wario64 said:
You get to play with Yoshi's face or whatever with the touch screen, or you can draw your own picture on the title screen
Hmm. So his face comes up and you play with it like on Super Mario 64?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That video has sold me on Mario 64 DS, must have launch title for me. Playing through the game would have been nice enough, but all the extra characters and mini-games is just amazing.

I remember how my mom and I use to take turns doing that slide level, one of the few games she ever played. Magical memory for me.

Top Bottom