• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario 64 DS thread

Deku Tree

Grizzlyjin said:
That video has sold me on Mario 64 DS, must have launch title for me. Playing through the game would have been nice enough, but all the extra characters and mini-games is just amazing.

Without a doubt IAWTP. I was considering waiting until next year to buy a DS in part b/c I am already planning to buy 5 full priced games in November. But Mario 64 DS looks like alot more than another minor remake like the Mario Advance games.

4 playable characters (like Super Mario Bros. 2), 150 shines, hats, mini games, the map on the second screen and not to mention possible analog control using the touch screen really have me. That + the Hunters demo makes the DS hard to pass up this November.

Hehe shines? :p

But yes, I'm definitely sure this will be one of the games I'll pick up with my DS. There's a lot added in that makes it much more than a port, plus I've played through the original only once, and I've forgotten much of it. I noticed this after getting to play the first level again at a friends house, didn't know what to really do with the Bomb King. Gah, I really wish I had gotten a second N64 back when mine got stolen. Mario 64 and a select few other games were all I even got to play. So this is pretty much a new game for me.

I really want to get two titles, I'm not sure what I'm going to go for, but I'm thinking of getting either Feel The Magic or Mr. Driller, I'm leaning towards the latter though.

arter_2

I am really curious and I really want to see how they use the touch screen and the thumb strap to move like its analogue.

Squeak

cybamerc said:
That's because the N64 could only handle small textures.
It has always been a choice between bilinear filtering vs. more fillrate and texture cache (high res textures).
On a screen with such low resolution, I'd say Nintendo made the right choice, because no matter what, you are going to have quite a bit of aliasing. It will be a matter of keeping the texel to pixel ratio ~ equal, so lets hope for hardware mip mapping.
My only gripe with the DS is the lack of analog stick, the traditional d-pad really is beginning to look like an anachronism. All modern games are best controlled with an analog stick.

Top Bottom