• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

rawk

siamesedreamer said:
Man, I never saw that in the booklet........thanks though.

No problem. Who reads instruction books these days anyway? Most games have built in tutorials. I'm actually surprised it's still the norm for games to include detailed instructions, the way most hold your hand nowadays.

rawk

Musashi Wins! said:
Probably not a good place for this anymore but....

Any tips for noobs? I'll probably pick this up at lunch.

Play single player for a while to get the hang of the controls, items, and the courses.

Try different racers to see who is most comfortable.

Always finish online races, even if you are an hour behind.

Akia

Musashi Wins! said:
Probably not a good place for this anymore but....

Any tips for noobs? I'll probably pick this up at lunch.

Jump into the single player grand prix a little bit to try out the new tracks. Then get online and VS people that are better than you and get your butt kicked. Learn how to power slide and get the boost at the beginning. You'll be smoking people in no time:)

I'm going to get online but I may want to wipe out my losing record dude to disconnects

I just got my USB Connector and I plugged it into my Apple Powerbook fired up Virtual PC w/ win xp and damn that was flawless!

played 4 races online no disconnects! :D

kiryogi

Banned
Akia said:
Jump into the single player grand prix a little bit to try out the new tracks. Then get online and VS people that are better than you and get your butt kicked. Learn how to power slide and get the boost at the beginning. You'll be smoking people in no time:)

AKIA! Peach is gonna own j00 tonight!

Ok, put in a bit of practice in SP now. Would love to see the standard of you guys.
Here's my code. Added Mudwhistle, Razoric ans Error2k4. I'll be on for the next hour or 2.

Earl

Chibbi Brady said:
Ok, put in a bit of practice in SP now. Would love to see the standard of you guys.
Here's my code. Added Mudwhistle, Razoric ans Error2k4. I'll be on for the next hour or 2.

Earl

Added

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Teddman said:
Does anyone use the big boys (DK & Bowser) online? They're practically useless.
bowser has good drifting but that's about it, I really hate how in online mode if you have a heavy kart you can't push the light kart around like in the single player mode, I use that in single player a lot specially in Rainbow Road ^^

demi

heavenly said:
What you will need to do, imo, is rather than allowing users to input text for the country, provide a list (option tag) of countries, so it will make it easier for you to catergorize. Obviously, this would mean you would have to change/update existing user's country info.

It would be great to alphabetize user's names (by GAF, by WFC), allowing onlookers to click a letter of the alphabet, and the list will list the names accordingly, outside of listing all the names on one page.

That's where the "Region" part comes in

All entries for North America would get labeled with a numerical value (1), so I can sort by that

But I'll try using this dropdown list that Nintendo has listed

But there are entries for Puerto Rico as well, would that go under United States?

Like I said, I'm no wizard at SQL/PHP so I'm learning with this : (

ksinghsf

Chibbi Brady said:

Earl

Added, as well as Mudwhistle, Teddman, and Error2k4

ksinghsf:

PkunkFury

Teddman said:
Does anyone use the big boys (DK & Bowser) online? They're practically useless.

The past two days I've played I've been using Bowser riding the segway (ROBs legs). His stats rock, he looks funny, and he knocks shit over. What more could you want?

My record sucks though, so it is possible he isn't acutally "good" per say, but he sure is fun to use

Error

Teddman said:
Cool, I'll add you after work. Who here plays late night Pacific time? I'm usually on after 10PM...
teddman what's your code?

Earl and ksinghsf added.

Duderz

Banned
Just added you, BorkBork.

Phantomile, still waiting to hear from you...

WordOfGod: As soon as the 2 begins to disappear, hold A to boost.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
tony_turtled.jpg

Come GAF, humiliate me via the magic of multiplayer gaming.

Error

this is why I love racing against Akia the competition!

I want a 4 player match with me, pez, akia and freakyfink

Akia

Error2k4 said:
this is why I love racing against Akia the competition!

I try to keep it interesting. Its always fun though especially when your down one and you know that you gotta win the next match.

Cranehead uses Drybones too. That's awesome.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
swoon said:
well then, everyone should add me you freaks.

Hey you're in Greensboro! Add me!

420966 321916

mk name is Mert

also impurius and Razoric i added you too, add me to yours :)

anyone else PM me and we'll add each other

I'm annoyed.

I checked nintendowifi.com at launch and every so often afterwards. Saw that my DLink DI524 was compatible and thought "Awesome! Now I just have to wait for MK DS to arrive!"

Well, I finally got the game today, set it all up - CONNECTION ERROR. Check nintendowifi.com and suddenly my router is not compatible. THANK YOU VERY MUCH NINTENDO.

Now I either have to pick up a f'n dongle or new router. I'm likely just going to pick up a dongle.

Question: Do I HAVE to buy Nintendo's dongle? Or can I purchase a different make? Any suggestions?

Teddman

Make sure you check http://forums.nintendo.com under the Nintendo Wi-Fi -> Technical board. There are a lot of posts about how to get the 524 to work.

The actual Nintendo Wi-Fi site itself is inaccurate and misleading. My D-Link DI-514 is rated completely incompatible, but I got it to work OK with no adjustment whatsoever. A few minor tweaks made it work perfectly. If I encounter any errors, I soft-reset the router and it's ready to go.

Nintendo staff have been really lazy about updating their site once proven wrong by more knowledgeable forum folks. They're doing a big disservice to their customers, many of whom are probably going out and buying new routers they don't need.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Got my dongle installed and now have a friend code ready to do battle.

459621-129107

Add me please everybody. :)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
as a reminder.. don't blame nintendo for the DS not working with your router. That is the way wifi goes. The netgear wgr614 I had NEVER played nice with the wife's Dell Inspiron 9200... the linksys wrt54g that replaced it works like a champ. I am sure someone out there is having a bitch of a time with the linksys and someone else has a netgear v6 that has been working flawlessly.

that is the entire problem with wireless. incompatibility is the rule with wireless, not the exception.

luckily equipment is at least cheap enough that if your existing router doesn't work, you can get a fully compatible one for around $30-40. or get the 100% compatible dongle for $35.

Top Bottom