• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Drensch said:
Yeah, except the cloud race. Just about everything bad that could happen happened.
I don't know if it was against you but I remember playing in Delfino Square I was losing then suddenly I fell into a place I never seen before grab a ? box and got a blue shell talk about being lucky I won becuase of that :lol

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Ahh feels nice to be above .500 once more :) I have just played enough single player to unlock dry bones. He's too damn slow!

kiryogi

Banned
Hahaha, bobby, thanks for the good times once again. Oooh some of those items honestly. :lol

eedit: dear god bork. the blue shell madness. XD

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
:lol :lol :lol That race on frappe was INSANE! One of the funnest match I've had, I can't believe the backing up into the blue shell thing worked!

kiryogi

Banned
BorkBork said:
:lol :lol :lol That race on frappe was INSANE! One of the funnest match I've had, I can't believe the backing up into the blue shell thing worked!

Christ XD I was laughing out loud when that happened. Im actually one of the folks that'll use hat tactic as well if the opportunity presents itself. Too bad both matches ended up ties XD We'll have a rematch sometime.

Kai

I am going to go through and add all the people in the last few pages... add me!

SamusKai

Awaiting approval from:

japtor
evilromero
DRGakman
Rlan
Megabyte
Olimario
phantomile
GD Justin

DyersEve

Ok I finally got connected.

DyersEve07

Come on guys add me. Ill try to add all of you, Just have to look through this big ass thread to get most of the codes ha

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Ok, there's a sneaky new strategy going on...

I was starting to wonder why there were -good- racers who didn't appear to be doing a turbo start... and a few who appeared to hang at the starting line for a few seconds before the race. At first I thought they had mistakenly burned out when trying to do a turbo start, or that their connection was lagging... then I learned the awful truth.

If you appear to be a decent racer, some folks out there will intentionally stay dead at the starting point to let you get in first, then go grab an item (or two) from the first set of item boxes on any track with items near the starting point. Note: I didn't say "lag behind and get a better item" -- I said flat out wait to start the race.

Now, this is a pretty sneaky strategy -- is it unethical? Of course not... it is, however, a bit unexpected if you are used to good players trying to take the lead and keep it.

It's rather funny, actually... I've seen folks intentionally drop behind in a race for a better item before, but never saw them simply wait at the starting point.

Rlan

You still have to catch up though. A lightning, Bullet Bill, Super Shroom or Star can only do so much. I've had better results trying to stay at the front as much as possible. Might be because I seem to be pretty good at thwarting red shell attempts.

As soon as I see a Blue shell coming, I try and slow down so I take someone with me :)

It's not clearly obvious that the only reason why they only have 20 tracks is because of time. If They couldn't add Waluigi Pinball because of the balls, then they wouldn't have been able to add DK Snow Level because of the Snowballs, but that is in there.

Ah well. better luck next time!

DavidDayton said:
It's rather funny, actually... I've seen folks intentionally drop behind in a race for a better item before, but never saw them simply wait at the starting point.

It's just a reaction to Nintendo's somewhat idiotic system of distributing the items. It's really not fun to completely dominate a race, knowing full well that you'll never get anything other than green shells and banana peels to protect yourself with, and knowing that you'll almost certainly get hit by multiple blue and red shells as punishment for being in first place. I think the most I've been hit by is 4 blues and 2 reds in a single race. It's at its worst when one player is in the lead, one is not far behind, and one is very far behind. What usually ends up happening is the last-place player hammers the first-place player with a blue shell at the last second and the safe second-place player coasts into the lead for a win.

Of course, none of this would be a problem if we were able to customize our games in the slightest. I'd give anything to be able to race with no items, or at the very least no blue shells.

can anyone help?

i have a netgear 834g router, the wireless on it works fine with both my laptop and my psp.

i'm having problems configuring the connection setup. when i press the test connection button, the little reception icon on the top right of the screen is red, suggesting it's not even in range of the router even though i'm sitting next to it.

is this the source of my problem or do i have my other settings wrong? thanks.

callous

Finally!

047304 430802 - Callous

I'd be grateful if some people would add me and tell me about it so I can add them back :)

jerrymcguire, I had that too just 30 minutes ago when setting it up. I had to open and change all kinds of things in my router setup. I finally got it working with the manua settings in MK. Basically, just go through all your router options and open shit up. If you get it working doing that, you can then start closing and passwording things one by one until you find out what the problem was. Also, you may have to turn down the speed. It can only be set to 1-2mbps. Mine was defaulted at 5-22 or something, and that's no good according to nintendowifi.com.

fallout

bobbyconover said:
Of course, none of this would be a problem if we were able to customize our games in the slightest. I'd give anything to be able to race with no items, or at the very least no blue shells.
I'd vote for the no blue shells. Red shells I can almost consistently defend against. You can kind of avoid blue shells, as I've noticed that they don't lock in till a little bit before they hit you. So if you see the blue shell come up on the map and get launched, you can drop back and not get targeted. I haven't really confirmed this (and if anyone could, please do), but it seems to be true.

Regardless, my major complaint is that they don't even adhere to the Mario Kart elastic racing style. If I'm back in fourth, and a decent amount back, if I launch a blue shell and it just takes out the guy in first, that doesn't really help me close the gap. This applies even more in an 8-man race. Lightning, bullet bill, star, golden mushroom ... they all allow the player in the back of the pack to work their way up by either slowing everyone else down or by speeding them up.

PLEASE HELP.
I dont have WinXp, I have win2000. NWFC usb doesn't work with Win2000, right?
If I buy this:

U.S. ROBOTICS USR805422

Adapter USB 2.0 wireless standard
IEEE 802.11g up to 54 Mbps
802.11b up to 11 Mbps

69362.jpg

does it work with Mario Kart DS and with my Operating System using Windows ICS (Internet connection sharing)? Do I need any additional software/drivers?

I'm not interested in buying routers, because my PC is turned on 24h.
Thank you. :lol

Not sure about 2000, but I do know that other dongles besides Nintendo's will work. I have a Cable & Wireless dongle, cheap thing from Argos, and it works perfectly. Just searched for an access point and it appeared with a little red lock, entered the WEP and away I went. Simple as that. I am running Xp though.

olimario

Banned
Could somebody please make a quick list of who to add? I still have trouble finding a game of more than one person so I want to add people who play a lot.

I wish Nintendo would have A) included the dongle in the mario kart bundle and B) sold the dongle in stores.

olimario said:
Could somebody please make a quick list of who to add? I still have trouble finding a game of more than one person so I want to add people who play a lot.

I wish Nintendo would have A) included the dongle in the mario kart bundle and B) sold the dongle in stores.

OLI FTW!

Not releasing the dongle to retail is just retarded. Hopefully, Craig is right that Nintendo will release it when Metroid Hunters comes out.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
olimario said:

you have trouble finding 4player games in general? Or do you mean searching for friends specifically? I think I have you added already, I'm on every night, plus my son plays frequently as well.

olimario

Banned
levious said:
you have trouble finding 4player games in general? Or do you mean searching for friends specifically? I think I have you added already, I'm on every night, plus my son plays frequently as well.

In general, and I have a lot of friends added.
Regional and Worldwide have the same problems.

I'll add you. :)

Akia

I'm sad that it had to come down to who got the blue shell, chibby. But the second and third match proved that I couldn't just race to win. I had to change my strategy in the last match. Because if I just went for first. I would've lost. A tie is alright I guess.

Bloody hell Akia, I've never seen a game so dominated by blue shells, ridiculous. Enjoyed DK Pass until Mr. Snowman sent me flying. :lol

Back in about 30 minutes.
Oli, I'm in the same boat. I've only ever had more than a 2p game twice. I'm around a lot and play at weird time because of the time difference. I'll add you now.

olimario

Banned
I hate that people who suck ruin my chances of winning with those bullets. I was knock off of Rainbow Road twice with those things.

Also, I just raced a dude with "beta" in his name. 197 wins and 6 losses. On Yoshi Falls he kept swerving back and forth on the track and kept getting a lead because of it. Is there some cheap trick I don't know about?

Kroole

olimario said:
I hate that people who suck ruin my chances of winning with those bullets. I was knock off of Rainbow Road twice with those things.

Also, I just raced a dude with "beta" in his name. 197 wins and 6 losses. On Yoshi Falls he kept swerving back and forth on the track and kept getting a lead because of it. Is there some cheap trick I don't know about?

Slide and dash? It worked the same way in Double Dash.

Kroole

Well can't you just slide, jiggle your control pad, thus dashing? This could be done on the more wider parts of certain courses in MKDD over and over again. I assume it's the same way in MKDS.

Akia

Kroole said:
Well can't you just slide, jiggle your control pad, thus dashing? This could be done on the more wider parts of certain courses in MKDD over and over again. I assume it's the same way in MKDS.

Your talking about powersliding right. You kinda confused me since you used a different name for it.

Wasn't me, it was my little sister. Little, well she's 22, pretty handy as well. She's completely addicted to Mario Kart. Can't seem to get my DS back.....

Akia

jerrymaguire said:
updated firmware on my router, it worked! pls add me.

kinopio
2484 4881
9824 8000
in england

How the heck do you have 2 extra sets of numbers.

Chibbi Brady said:
Wasn't me, it was my little sister. Little, well she's 22, pretty handy as well. She's completely addicted to Mario Kart. Can't seem to get my DS back.....

Tell her to stop playing with GAF. She'd win alot more if she played worldwide or rivials.

-james-

has anyone sucessfully linked their DS wifi ID to their profile? I followed the directions exactly as stated in the email and the website, waited 3 days and finally got an email saying:

Thank you for your interest in linking your Nintendo Wi-Fi ID
with your My Nintendo profile. Unfortunately, the link
was unsuccessful.

Before you may associate your Wi-Fi ID to your My Nintendo
account, your Nintendo DS nickname must exactly match the
temporary nickname generated by Nintendowifi.com and you must
connect your Nintendo DS to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Network within
60 minutes of receiving your temporary nickname.

Now if i try this again, will to mess up my friend code? I really dont want to start all over with my friends list.....

Top Bottom