• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 10 League: Zep's a No Show....again

eznark

Banned
LJ11 said:
Missed this earlier.

Your most recently used pitcher(s) get their stamina knocked down, so it doesn't matter when you use them to pitch, just as long as they get rest. If you use your first 3 starters in week 1 and flex to week 3, your 3rd starter is going to be spent for game one.

I don't expect people to know which pitcher should go in game 1 of week 6, wouldn't make sense for people to project their rotation that far out. Just go with your rotation, give guys rest so they don't get hurt, if you gamble and someone gets hurt on a pickoff move to first don't come crying for an FA.
Honestly, that was my whole point. There is no need to worry about your opponent keeping their rotation exactly correct throughout, because it really benefits no one to pitch a guy twice a series. He will be literally worthless.

turnbuckle

Ahh, thanks Jambi.

Play By Play of the winning run from The Show website said:
Inning 9:
Tigers batting. Sizemore flied out to Drew (F9). Santiago doubled to left. Jackson struck out on a 0-2 fastball high and in. Damon grounded to center for a single. Santiago scores.* Valverde in bullpen. Ordonez grounded out to Pedroia (4-6). Damon out.
Runs: 1 Hits: 2 Walks: 0 Errors: 0 Runners Left On: 1

Red Sox batting. Ortiz grounded to center for a single. Cameron grounded into a double play (6U-3 DP). Ortiz out. Drew grounded out to Cabrera (3U), ending the inning.
Runs: 0 Hits: 1 Walks: 0 Errors: 0

My winning run came from a single while I had a man - with a good speed/baserunning rating - in scoring position.

Also, apparently I was wrong. I only stole a single base in the entire game. I can't find the stat on the box score, but going through the play by play by inning, only once does it mention a stolen base - with no mentions of being caught stealing. I didn't think I stole much, but Sanjuro's reaction made me question myself.

Sanjuro

turnbuckle said:
You didn't score on me after the second or third inning. That's why you lost. Next game you'll probably go yard on me several times. That's how this shit works.
Yeah. It's hard to score when you cant control your runners or fielders.

...yes you scored legit in the 9th. You had a man on second and hit a single. Which normally will score....but you touched the plate before I touched the ball.

eznark

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

...yes you scored legit in the 9th. You had a man on second and hit a single. Which normally will score....but you touched the plate before I touched the ball.
I'd like to see that replay, that sounds astounding

turnbuckle

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

Exactly. That's how I lost a run here

Inning 7:
Tigers batting. Santiago struck out looking on a 0-2 fastball low and in. Jackson struck out chasing a 0-2 slider low and away. Damon doubled to left. Ordonez grounded to center for a single, out while advancing extra bases (8-6-4).
Runs: 0 Hits: 2 Walks: 0 Errors: 1 Runners Left On: 1

I still don't know what you're upset about. You said I won on bogus baserunning on my winning hit, but I most certainly didn't. I attempted 1 steal during the game. I lost a run on my retarded baserunnin - not cheap baserunning, but trying to advance a runner from 2nd to home on a single that I thought was a double.

The only things you could be upset about are losing and thinking my messages during the game were annoying. I'll stop the latter, and with your lineup and your skill you'll fix the former. There's no crying in baseball.

Sanjuro said:
I'm not sure what you're saying here. I touched the plate before you grabbed the ball in the outfield? If that's what you're saying, that's not remotely true. You threw the ball to your pitcher or other infielder while I was just passed rounding third (just like you did in the 7th inning when I got messed up on my baserunning). The difference this time was that I didn't try going for a double, which resulted in me not hitting the r button in a panic and getting out without the run scoring.

LJ11

Stealing early can be a pain in the ass, because you can get away with jumping back to 1st/2nd before the pickoff, at least that's what it was like last year. Admittedly, I haven't played against random players this year, didn't want the headache, so I'm not sure if it's been addressed.

Before I ban it/restrict it, I need feedback from other players. Last season, I would greatly slow down the game when a man reached first, hold on to the ball, and wait for the player to take off before trying to nab him stealing early. Problem was they would sometimes get back in time.

Don't abuse this sort of thing, just play sim style baseball, respect your opponent. We all want to win, but winning at all costs isn't something we want. We all want to kick back for a couple of hours and have some fun.

Sanjuro

turnbuckle said:

I still don't know what you're upset about. You said I won on bogus baserunning on my winning hit, but I most certainly didn't. I attempted 1 steal during the game. I lost a run on my retarded baserunnin - not cheap baserunning, but trying to advance a runner from 2nd to home on a single that I thought was a double.

The only things you could be upset about are losing and thinking my messages during the game were annoying. I'll stop the latter, and with your lineup and your skill you'll fix the former. There's no crying in baseball.
Yeah I'm not crying kid. I'm telling you that your style of play is shitty and annoying. Fucking don't do it.

turnbuckle

LJ11 said:
Stealing early can be a pain in the ass, because you can get away with jumping back to 1st/2nd before the pickoff, at least that's what it was like last year. Admittedly, I haven't played against random players this year, didn't want the headache, so I'm not sure if it's been addressed.

Before I ban it/restrict it, I need feedback from other players. Last season, I would greatly slow down the game when a man reached first, hold on to the ball, and wait for the player to take off before trying to nab him stealing early. Problem was they would sometime get back in time.

Don't abuse this sort of thing, just play sim style baseball, respect your opponent. We all want to win, but winning at all costs isn't something we want. We all want to kick back for a couple of hours and play have some fun.

I agree it can be a pain in the ass. That's why I don't do it often. I don't think it should be restricted because it's a legit tactic with definite consequences if you're playing against someone who's paying attention. At best I think it should be a gentleman's agreement at the beginning of a series to agree on early stealing or to agree on not allowing it. In this case, in the very first inning I said "early stealing yay or nay?". I told Sanjuro to press pause for a second if Yay, otherwise I wouldn't. He hit pause. Then he tossed the ball to first expecting me to go for it.

I stole 1 base (caught 0 times) during the whole game. I wasn't being a dick about it.

turnbuckle

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Yeah I'm not crying kid. I'm telling you that your style of play is shitty and annoying. Fucking don't do it.

Don't do what!?! What are you upset about? Don't...what? Score on a single with a runner in scoring position? You're a sore loser who didn't have any issue until you were certain you were going to lose. You're using your history of being in other leagues and the fact that I can't 100% prove I played legit ball to try and tear down my character. I couldn't care less what you think about me, but I've had fun games with other people in this league and expect to have many more with players I haven't gone up against yet and it sucks this stupid argument had to come up.

So what exactly is my "style of play"? So far you've mentioned me throwing to first on a base hit and scoring on a hit with RISP. If that's all, you're just gonna have to deal with it for a couple more games. If there's something else you can point to that's a legit bitch - such as me messaging you - I'll take a look at what you're saying and may adjust depending on what the rest of the league or the commish decides.

JambiBum

turnbuckle said:

You better not stop typing messages in a game. They are hilarious. Best part of playing you. :lol

I kid, I kid. Although I do enjoy them.

Nightz

For future reference...please limit sending messages to me during the game. I get irritated enough when that stupid box pops up telling me my friends are online. :lol I just think it takes too long to bring up the XMB in the middle of a game to read/send a message.

turnbuckle

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
You had two stolen bases and were a dick about it.

I stole 1 base.

Nevermind that, if someone stole 2 bases in a game I don't think that's too bad at all.

However, "were a dick about it" doesn't make any sense. I didn't send any messages applauding my running ability or anything. The stolen base was in the 8th inning - I don't believe I sent a message after the 6th or 7th inning period.

Since I can't make my players do a taunt I don't know how I was being a dick about it.
I got at least 3 outs on you from your errant base running. Double-advancing trying to confuse me, but only confusing yourself. I don't find it annoying; it keeps me on my toes. It just didn't work out for you. Better luck next time.

JambiBum

Nightz said:
For future reference...please limit sending messages to me during the game. I get irritated enough when that stupid box pops up telling me my friends are online. :lol I just think it takes too long to bring up the XMB in the middle of a game to read/send a message.

He isn't talking about those. He is talking about the chat box that will come up on screen during a game. If you have a USB keyboard you can hit enter and chat during the game.

Sometimes on the animation of the fielder picking up the ball, it actually looks like he goin in slow motion. Games arent laggy, so it seems wierd.

JambiBum

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Sometimes on the animation of the fielder picking up the ball, it actually looks like he goin in slow motion. Games arent laggy, so it seems wierd.
I forgot to mention this earlier but if we play again come playoff time I'm not throwing you a cutter ever again. Every home run you have hit off of me has been one :lol

Sanjuro

Factoid - The fastest player in MLB, Brandon Inge stealing from second to third before the ball reaches the plate is an everyday occurrence.

r216ih.gif

LiveWire

As for the stealing issue, the Nationals' Nyjer Morgan stole first base on the first pitch of the 2nd batter (Willie Harris) on Opening Day. If someone keeps trying to steal, just keep em honest and throw to 1st. I would think the runner will tire out before the pitcher does.

turnbuckle

Nightz said:

What Sanjuro and Jambi are talking about is the black box that pops up on the bottom of the screen. I never use the XMB messaging :p. But I'll remember not to message you during the game just to avoid the issue in the first place :p

I've given up a couple bad hits from my pitcher throwing automatically while typing a message. You can't submit them while the pitch is in process or being thrown though. I've never found them to be distracting, but I can see where some might. Messages are limited to like 40 characters so you can't say much. Generally it's just "nice pitch, nasty pitch" or making fun of some mistake I just did :lol

LiveWire

Dmncnby2k9 said:

Can you play our first game now?

Nightz

JambiBum said:
He isn't talking about those. He is talking about the chat box that will come up on screen during a game. If you have a USB keyboard you can hit enter and chat during the game.
Oh ok, never knew about that. As long as it's not too intrusive, message away! :lol

turnbuckle

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Factoid - The fastest player in MLB, Brandon Inge stealing from second to third before the ball reaches the plate is an everyday occurrence.

r216ih.gif

It was Ryan Raburn. It was an early steal. You had said you were ok with early steals. I attempted it a single time during the whole game. I didn't score off of it. It was Inge batting - I struck out the very next pitch. 3rd out of the inning. You're being ridiculous.

Sanjuro

turnbuckle said:
It was Ryan Raburn. It was an early steal. You had said you were ok with early steals. I attempted it a single time during the whole game. I didn't score off of it. It was Inge batting - I struck out the very next pitch. 3rd out of the inning. You're being ridiculous.
You aren't even making sense at this point. If Inge doubled to start THEN WHO WAS RABURN!?

nnmr0h.jpg

I also had no communication with you the entire game. Everyone wanting to talk, get a headset. Other than that you are publicly talking to yourself.

JambiBum

Nightz said:
Oh ok, never knew about that. As long as it's not too intrusive, message away! :lol

It's not at all. It stays at the bottom of the screen. Most of the time when turn says something it's either saying how good of a pitch you made or he is just pointing out the ridiculousness of what's going on in the game. Which makes me laugh pretty hard most of the time. Especially with the whole line drive fiasco that happened earlier.

turnbuckle

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
You aren't even making sense at this point. If Inge doubled to start THEN WHO WAS RABURN!?

nnmr0h.jpg

look, retard.

Inning 9:
Tigers batting. Sizemore flied out to Drew (F9). Santiago doubled to left. Jackson struck out on a 0-2 fastball high and in. Damon grounded to center for a single. Santiago scores.* Valverde in bullpen. Ordonez grounded out to Pedroia (4-6). Damon out.
Runs: 1 Hits: 2 Walks: 0 Errors: 0 Runners Left On: 1

Red Sox batting. Ortiz grounded to center for a single. Cameron grounded into a double play (6U-3 DP). Ortiz out. Drew grounded out to Cabrera (3U), ending the inning.
Runs: 0 Hits: 1 Walks: 0 Errors: 0

Inning 8:
Tigers batting. Cabrera flied out to Cameron (F8). Guillen flied out to Cameron (F8). Raburn reached first on an error by Ellsbury. Delcarmen in bullpen. Bard pitching. Raburn stole 2nd. Inge struck out on a 1-2 fastball low and in, ending the inning.
Runs: 0 Hits: 0 Walks: 0 Errors: 0 Runners Left On: 1

LJ11

LiveWire said:
As for the stealing issue, the Nationals' Nyjer Morgan stole first base on the first pitch of the 2nd batter (Willie Harris) on Opening Day. If someone keeps trying to steal, just keep em honest and throw to 1st. I would think the runner will tire out before the pitcher does.

Don't keep throwing to first though, sometimes you want to just hold on to the ball, see if they steal early. You can catch them before they even go to 2nd.

turnbuckle

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
So you went from calling me a good player to a retard now? Very nice.

Seriously, this is your reply? You've been wrong this whole time and talked shit about me. And your feelings are hurt? Very nice.

Sanjuro

turnbuckle said:
Seriously, this is your reply? You've been wrong this whole time and talked shit about me. And your feelings are hurt? Very nice.
Would you prefer me to call you a big stupid dodohead? You are mad. I should have acted on the warning signs when you were talking to yourself during the game.

rareside

Early stealing is legit. Very easy to defend against. Even David Ortiz can steal if the pitcher isn't paying attention to him. As a pitcher it's your responsibility to hold runners on.

The game is fair and you will catch early stealers every time if you play smart.

JambiBum

rareside said:
Early stealing is legit. Very easy to defend against. Even David Ortiz can steal if the pitcher isn't paying attention to him. As a pitcher it's you're responsibility to hold runners on.

The game is fair and you will catch early stealers every time if you play smart.

Hey when will you get a chance to play. You're my second series.

turnbuckle

rareside said:
Early stealing is legit. Very easy to defend against. Even David Ortiz can steal if the pitcher isn't paying attention to him. As a pitcher it's you're responsibility to hold runners on.

I agree, but to players not familiar with it it can be pretty cheap. I think it's legit, but I usually ask before a game starts unless I'm familiar with the player or I don't intend to do it at all.

rareside

I'll be available for my games starting Monday night. I'm out of town right now and though I'm with my PS3, fucking hotel TV won't let me play. They have it configured to a pay-for-play N64.

UGH...

But from Monday onwards I am game!! Prepare!

Sanjuro

It's cheap. The entire purpose of this league is to play simulation style baseball in a casual environment. We are going to be playing everyone frequently and communicating with them. There isn't a need to play as cheap as some of the people in the matchmaking do. The lag factor is huge in being able to get someone out and the simple annoyance of watching someone try to steal every other second is just silly.

Like I said before...Brandon Inge stealing SECOND to THIRD..before the ball touches the catchers mitt is nonsense. No need for it.

turnbuckle

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
It's cheap. The entire purpose of this league is to play simulation style baseball in a casual environment. We are going to be playing everyone frequently and communicating with them. There isn't a need to play as cheap as some of the people in the matchmaking. The lag factor is huge in being able to get someone out and the simple annoyance of watching someone try to steal every other second is just silly.

Like I said before...Brandon Inge stealing SECOND to THIRD..before the ball touches the catchers mitt is nonsense. No need for it.

BRANDON INGE DIDN'T STEAL. NOBODY STOLE 3RD.

rareside

turnbuckle said:
I agree, but to players not familiar with it it can be pretty cheap. I think it's legit, but I usually ask before a game starts unless I'm familiar with the player or I don't intend to do it at all.

Sometimes it's just trial by fire. I see it like this... early stealing is an advanced tactic and although some aren't aware it even exists (it's in the MANUAL! Read it people! All 5 pages!), I'll use it if the situation calls for it.

Just because people are ignorant doesn't mean I'm going to play down to their level.

All that said, I won't steal at all when I have a decent lead. I do believe in good sportsmanship.

JambiBum

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
It's cheap. The entire purpose of this league is to play simulation style baseball in a casual environment. We are going to be playing everyone frequently and communicating with them. There isn't a need to play as cheap as some of the people in the matchmaking do. The lag factor is huge in being able to get someone out and the simple annoyance of watching someone try to steal every other second is just silly.

It's your fault for not noticing the runner. Plain and simple. Just because you can't do anything against it that isn't turn's fault. Early stealing is a part of baseball. It happens quite often. It's not playing cheap because it's easily countered.

At first I thought you may have had a legitimate excuse for your bitching but now I realize that you're just being a sore loser. The guy who stole third didn't even score.

Also rare, as soon as you're ready Monday hit me up. I'll be busy from 8 pm to 9 est time but besides that I should be free.

turnbuckle

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Then you misremembered.

I said I misremembered earlier. Look at the play by play, don't take my word for it. I didn't think I did what you said I did, but before I had access to the PBP I figured you were right. It was the only way I could reasonably understand you being upset in the first place...and it never happened.

And again

AT THE START OF THE GAME - THE VERY BEGINNING - I ASKED IF IF YOU WANTED TO STEAL EARLY OR NOT. YOU SAID YES. SO EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T STEAL THIRD, IF I HAD STOLEN THIRD I WAS DOING SO NOT ONLY WITHIN THE RULES OF THE GAME, BUT THE GENTLEMAN RULES WE ESTABLISHED OURSELVES.

Top Bottom