• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 10 League: Zep's a No Show....again

LJ11

eznark said:
what the fuck is "stealing early"

Basically you take the Left stick, point it to the the base runner (ie right for a guy on 1st) and then press the corresponding icon of the base you want him to steal (triangle for 2nd). He'll hold for a second or two and then take off, he doesn't wait for the pitcher to make his delivery, he just takes off.

It's almost a guarantee that you'll swipe the bag if you time it right, or you catch someone napping. Last year you could just go back by pressing the R1 button if you mistimed the steal, so the base runner was going back and forth, really unrealistic. You really had to slow down the game, time your pickoffs, and really mix your opponent up.

Don't abuse this shit, I don't care how "stoppable" it is. No one should have to pay attention to David Ortiz like they do a Reyes.

Edit: It's not about being familiar with the game, more so than being familiar with how cheap it is. Restrain yourself.

Sanjuro

turnbuckle said:
I said I misremembered earlier. Look at the play by play, don't take my word for it. I didn't think I did what you said I did, but before I had access to the PBP I figured you were right. It was the only way I could reasonably understand you being upset in the first place...and it never happened.

And again

AT THE START OF THE GAME - THE VERY BEGINNING - I ASKED IF IF YOU WANTED TO STEAL EARLY OR NOT. YOU SAID YES. SO EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T STEAL THIRD, IF I HAD STOLEN THIRD I WAS DOING SO NOT ONLY WITHIN THE RULES OF THE GAME, BUT THE GENTLEMAN RULES WE ESTABLISHED OURSELVES.

You are acting pretty crazy. Just stop lying and being all defensive.

turnbuckle

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
You are acting pretty crazy. Just stop lying and being all defensive.

What am I lying about? Are you saying I didn't ask you?
Or are you saying I didn't steal third?

If you're saying the first, you're full of shit.
If you're saying the second, then maybe the game didn't record the steal. I don't remember stealing the base, but I was willing to accept that I misremembed. Since the box score and the play by play didn't mention it, and I don't remember it happening, and you're wrong or unreasonable about so many other things in this discussion...I'm going to assume you're wrong about that phantom steal as well.

Sanjuro

LJ11 said:
God, I fucking hate Zep....
Yeah I'm kinda glad I'm not in charge as well right now. I would have banned this kid long time ago. :lol

However this plays out. The second season should be a much more of a MLB-GAF party.

turnbuckle

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I have no desire to play you right now or probably later.

That's why we should get it over quick. I won't say anything during the game. If anyone wants to watch our game they should.

Sanjuro

turnbuckle said:
That's why we should get it over quick. I won't say anything during the game. If anyone wants to watch our game they should.
You don't understand. The main reason I do the league play is to avoid players that play like you. It's really annoying. Then it is more annoying for you to rant and rave like a child after you have been proven to be wrong. Just give it up.

turnbuckle

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
You don't understand. The main reason I do the league play is to avoid players that play like you. It's really annoying. Then it is more annoying for you to rant and rave like a child after you have been proven to be wrong. Just give it up.

I don't know what I was proven wrong about. I also don't know what I lied about. You've asserted that I did both. Look at the box score. You had no apparent issue until you were at 2 strikes with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, down by a single run.

We're in a league and the games have to be played. We can play them under whatever conditions you like. We can avoid early stealing. I'll throw to second on outfield hits. I'll refrain from doing any in-game messaging whatsoever. If there's anyone in the league you'd like to ask view the game - the commish or anyone else - you should. I'll save the highlight reel.

---

Trust me, it's not like I like facing the Red Sox. They nearly have an All-Star lineup. Judging by your online record, I fully expect you to win the next 2 games despite my best effort.

eznark

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Yeah I'm kinda glad I'm not in charge as well right now. I would have banned this kid long time ago. :lol

However this plays out. The second season should be a much more of a MLB-GAF party.
Look asshole, you're being a dick here too so enough with the "kid" bullshit.

Sanjuro

turnbuckle said:
I don't know what I was proven wrong about. I also don't know what I lied about. You've asserted that I did both. Look at the box score. You had no apparent issue until you were at 2 strikes with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, down by a single run.

We're in a league and the games have to be played. We can play them under whatever conditions you like. We can avoid early stealing. I'll throw to second on outfield hits. I'll refrain from doing any in-game messaging whatsoever. If there's anyone in the league you'd like to ask view the game - the commish or anyone else - you should. I'll save the highlight reel.
Ugh. Now you are a PPV promoter?

Inning 3:Tigers batting. Inge doubled to center. Sizemore walked on a 3-2 pitch. Inge advances to 3rd. Santiago reached first on a fielder's choice (3-2). Inge out. Sizemore advances to 2nd. Jackson bunted to first baseman for a single. Sizemore advances to 3rd. Santiago advances to 2nd. Damon struck out looking on a 1-2 fastball low and away. Ordonez grounded to right for a single. Sizemore scores. Santiago advances to 3rd. Jackson advances to 2nd. Cabrera grounded out to Scutaro (6-3), ending the inning.
Everyone pay attention. If you walk a player then all runners advance a base. You have been notified.

Inning 8:Red Sox batting. Zumaya pitching. Ellsbury lined to left for a single. Pedroia lined to center for a single, out while advancing extra bases (8-5-2-4 DP). Ellsbury out. Martinez lined to center for a single. Youkilis grounded out to Cabrera (3U), ending the inning.
Yes. This is a very common double play.

You asked me about bases. Because you don't have a headset I have no way of replying. You said hit pause which I looked at the pitchcount menu.....the next batter. I sent you a friendly quit which you declined.

BigAT

For the sake of clarification, using L2 in whatever capacity for stealing is not considered "quick stealing"?

Sanjuro

eznark said:
It took you less than a day to turn this thread to shit.
I'll take a day of shit over months of manure any day. This game is one of the best if not the best sports simulation game I have ever played. I would like to enjoy it with most of you guys.

I'm hoping we still have enough people for 2-3 seasons this year.

eznark

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I'll take a day of shit over months of manure any day. This game is one of the best if not the best sports simulation game I have ever played. I would like to enjoy it with most of you guys.

I'm hoping we still have enough people for 2-3 seasons this year.
I can't wait til I quick steal home with Fielder

Sanjuro

DCX said:
ok, Yanks around to continue losing...who wants easy Ws

DCX
I'm around to finish the series if you like.

eznark said:
I can't wait til I quick steal home with Fielder
You honestly prefer to play like that? I remember playing a good game with you last season.

turnbuckle

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Ugh. Now you are a PPV promoter?
I think we've built up a big enough rivlary we could probably charge for it. :D

Everyone pay attention. If you walk a player then all runners advance a base. You have been notified.
Ahh, fair enough. I looked for stole/steal and missed this. So I did steal 3rd with the dreadfully slow Inge. The whole time I said I may have misremembered. Inge didn't score though.

Yes. This is a very common double play.
It really isn't, but it doesn't bother me. The same lag issue you brought up against stealing early would apply exactly the same as what you were doing in this play. I've had many runs charged against me by players online doing goofy things on the base path that you wouldn't see in regular games in an attempt to divert my attention on a player trying to advance home by moving another guy on the base paths around. I say it's fair game though and I wouldn't mind if you did it again.

You asked me about bases. Because you don't have a headset I have no way of replying. You said hit pause which I looked at the pitchcount menu.....the next batter. I sent you a friendly quit which you declined.

Since you couldn't respond in game I'll accept that this could've been a miscommunication. I didn't believe it was though, because you tossed the ball to first base after I asked and you hit pause - and I didn't take any extra steps off the bag. To me, you doing that was your way of signalling to me that I was on notice not to get to confident in my early steal ability.

I am confused why you didn't say something on here or ask for a friendly quit or anything else during the 3rd inning when it was obvious I used an early steal. The whole time I was working under the idea that we were both in agreement on early steals. Never playing you before, I didn't want to do something you felt was unsavory and I thought we were on the same page.

I'm more confused at you saying my winning run was on cheap base-running, because that certainly was not. None of my runs were scored from base stealing.

Anyways, I just want to get our series done and over with. Like I said, I won't early steal against you. I think it's a legit move, but I also am willing to play under the agreement that neither team will do it. Let's not drag this ordeal out any longer. Let's play baseball.

Sanjuro

Fucking DCX being cheap. He stole any chance I had at getting free tacos this year. There was a foul ball out of play so just dicking around I dove at nothing. Ellsbury with a strained pectoral. :lol

Good game. I'm sure I got your pants a little urine stained with Rivera.

DCX

DCX
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Fucking DCX being cheap. He stole any chance I had at getting free tacos this year. There was a foul ball out of play so just dicking around I dove at nothing. Ellsbury with a strained pectoral. :lol

Good game. I'm sure I got your pants a little urine stained with Rivera.
:lol :lol I wondered what happened, ah well, serves you right!! Yeah, Rivera is a hard pitcher to use so i'd assume all my close games will be like that ugh. gg

DCX

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Just catching up on this thread.

Sanjuro,

Do us all a favor and do your best not to be a dick. Mmmkay?

Turnbuckle,

Stop throwing to first on outfield hits. It is moronic.

Sanjuro

turnbuckle said:
Anyways, I just want to get our series done and over with. Like I said, I won't early steal against you. I think it's a legit move, but I also am willing to play under the agreement that neither team will do it. Let's not drag this ordeal out any longer. Let's play baseball.
I'll be around.

It is an unfair tactic and rather annoying one. Others agree with me.

Sanjuro

DenogginizerOS said:
Just catching up on this thread.

Sanjuro,

Do us all a favor and do your best not to be a dick. Mmmkay?
I'm not trying to be one. I want this wrapped up and done in the first series. I played this game online probably more than anyone in here last year and never did anything like that. It's extremely annoying.

eznark

Banned
another really good game pistol, I definitely had my chances and blew it. If Dougie Davis is blowing 87 mph fast balls by you though I fear for your future! After that monster shot in the first I thought it was going to be a slaughter rule game.

eznark said:
another really good game pistol, I definitely had my chances and blew it. If Dougie Davis is blowing 87 mph fast balls by you though I fear for your future! After that monster shot in the first I thought it was going to be a slaughter rule game.
Lol I don't get it. The last couple of days I've been late on everything, but today was a whole nother level. 85mph HEAT! Don't know what's going on...

eznark

Banned
pistolpete2940 said:
Good game eznark, Davis had practically 2 pitches and I still couldn't hit him :lol :lol
After you hit the change 600 ft I was scared to death to throw off speed.

turnbuckle

pistolpete2940 said:
Lol I don't get it. The last couple of days I've been late on everything, but today was a whole nother level. 85mph HEAT! Don't know what's going on...

After you hit the change 600 ft he was scared to death to throw off speed.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
The change is a pitch that requires setup and touch. Not everyone can pitch with Johan Santana...

oh wait I can. :D
Yeah, it was the one and only change I threw today. Asshole throws a 87 mph fastball and a 84 mph change up

eznark said:
Yeah, it was the one and only change I threw today. Asshole throws a 87 mph fastball and a 84 mph change up
Can't you max the fastball and minimum the change? I mean Davis should be able to get down to 81-82 that way... Is that his 2nd or 3rd best pitch? If 3rd no worries.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
Can't you max the fastball and minimum the change? I mean Davis should be able to get down to 81-82 that way... Is that his 2nd or 3rd best pitch? If 3rd no worries.
Dude, load up an exhibition game and pitch with Doug Davis. It's fucking absurd. Takes 8 seconds to go through his damn wind up, throws everything off. I finally got a rhythm going in the third or fourth

Doytch

The Frankman said:
Maxing a change throws it slower, iirc.

Top Bottom