• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 10 League: Zep's a No Show....again

eznark

Banned
From the start people have pretty much to a man said they want this league to be sim baseball, so play the game like a human being would play baseball. Running around, diving, jumping, sliding...the hell is the point of that after the play?

turnbuckle

eznark said:
From the start people have pretty much to a man said they want this league to be sim baseball, so play the game like a human being would play baseball. Running around, diving, jumping, sliding...the hell is the point of that after the play?

There is no point to it, and because of injuries I don't really do it at all in the league games either. If I've done it yet against sanjuro, DCX, or Ror it was out of habit. I've only played Denog in an out of league game, so him complaining about it as if it's how I behaved in the league is confusing to me.

My jumping/sliding after a play should be posted in this thread

Doytch

TBH, I always dive around in pub games just cause I'm like that. It's a hold over from bunny-hopping in every FPS I've ever played. :lol I actually hurt my RTTS pitcher doing this and was out for three months. =(

Anyway, going for a run now and I'll be on in like 45 minutes if Rorschach, Turnbuckle or Miguel want to get a game in.

Rorschach

Doytch said:
TBH, I always dive around in pub games just cause I'm like that. It's a hold over from bunny-hopping in every FPS I've ever played. :lol I actually hurt my RTTS pitcher doing this and was out for three months. =(

Anyway, going for a run now and I'll be on in like 45 minutes if Rorschach, Turnbuckle or Miguel want to get a game in.
Are we allowed to play that series? If so, I'm available right now.

[edit] That's the 4th. I think we're only supposed to do the first 3 series?

Sanjuro or Vabrave
let's play! :D

turnbuckle

Doytch said:

I'm down for some games :D

If anyone wants to play exhibition games if we're not scheduled hit me up, too. I need a lot of practice on my plate discipline... I think someone's going to break the single game strikeout record on me in this league if I'm not careful. I try to take the first pitch whether it's a strike or not thinking it'll help me force myself to be patient. What it often leads to is me having a quick 0-2 count against me and then I swing at everything freaking out trying to avoid getting caught looking.

I should probably do that batting practice thing suggested in that hitting tutorial that's been posted before. Curveballs and low changeups are the bane of my existence.

Doytch

Are we allowed to play that series? If so, I'm available right now.

[edit] That's the 4th. I think we're only supposed to do the first 3 series?
Ohhh, I read it as though we could do 3 series ahead. So once we finish one we can go through to the fourth.
turnbuckle said:
I'm down for some games :D

If anyone wants to play exhibition games if we're not scheduled hit me up, too. I need a lot of practice on my plate discipline... I think someone's going to break the single game strikeout record on me in this league if I'm not careful. I try to take the first pitch whether it's a strike or not thinking it'll help me force myself to be patient. What it often leads to is me having a quick 0-2 count against me and then I swing at everything freaking out trying to avoid getting caught looking.

I should probably do that batting practice thing suggested in that hitting tutorial that's been posted before. Curveballs and low changeups are the bane of my existence.
Alright, I'll be on in ten.

turnbuckle

Ahh, DCX sent me a league challenge yesterday. I didn't realize we were several series out. I'll try to pay more attention to the schedule in the future.

storybook77 said:
I won't be able to play until later tonight if you're around. I've got to help do some house cleaning, take my daughter to gymnastics, go to my son's game, and my parents are coming over for dinner.

I've got to fit watching the Hawks and Braves in there somewhere too. :lol
Aren't you Colorado? You're supposed to play me now.

Yep, second series. You guys really are moving too fast/shouldn't be flexing that much.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The Frankman said:
Aren't you Colorado? You're supposed to play me now.

Yep, second series. You guys really are moving too fast/shouldn't be flexing that much.
He is my first series. I have dibs.

turnbuckle

Doytch said:
Man, that was brutal by Raburn...

This has been a hell of a game. I was so sure you had a HR there in the 7th. I almost started to cry :lol

You did an incredible job getting out of that jam in the 8th too

LJ11

eznark said:

Sums it up pretty well, I'm not creating this huge laundry list of shit you can/can't do. It's baseball, play the game and don't exploit stupid shit.

Fixed 1979, what's your status, FMT is trying to get his games in.

Not sure if I can do anything about your game BigAT/Nightz. I'll mess around with the options. Hold off on finishing the series, I can assign winners/losers if the game isn't played and we've advanced. Worst case scenario, I give the person who received a L in the disconnected game a W in the last game.

turnbuckle

Yeah, these outfielders throw too slow. Inge just got an inside the park homerun, and there was nothing Doytch could've done to play it differently. :/

Doytch

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I accidentally hit Triangle instead of Square......

GG though. Gonna watch the real Jays lose now.

Really wish there was a way to eat a throw once you've starting loading it.

turnbuckle

GRRR baserunning controls...

They worked to my advantage that time, but I didn't want to win like that. GG Doytch. Inge will never have a game like that again.

---

My game is frozen at the player of the game screen. I was hoping to record that final play and that inside the parker. Now I'm stuck looking at Inge's stupid face (Inge, unlike most Tiger fans, is one of my least favorite players...except for this game :lol )

eznark

Banned
Doytch said:
Really wish there was a way to eat a throw once you've starting loading it.

Amen, or switch the location. It's bullshit that you can't cancel/change the direction when you are loading up

pistolpete2940 said:
FMT,

If you want to try again, I can play now

lets do it!

but in about 20 mins ill have to pause the game for a couple mins to put the laundry into the dryer. you cool with that or do you want to play after 20 mins?

FrenchMovieTheme said:
lets do it!

but in about 20 mins ill have to pause the game for a couple mins to put the laundry into the dryer. you cool with that or do you want to play after 20 mins?
Not a problem, let's try right now

Sanjuro

eznark said:
Pretty much this. The only times I do anything is when the ball is not in play but the camera still gives me some control of my players. Ironically THAT ends up getting Tacoby on the DL.

turnbuckle, you are still going on about my revisionist history? I've been honest and described everything but you keep bringing it up again. You are being defensive about doing things in game that we all don't agree on. Much like Denog pointed out, why would you ask another league player (who cannot communicate back) about doing something that makes the game a great disadvantage?

turnbuckle

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Pretty much this. The only times I do anything is when the ball is not in play but the camera still gives me some control of my players. Ironically THAT ends up getting Tacoby on the DL.
turnbuckle, you are still going on about my revisionist history? I've been honest and described everything but you keep bringing it up again.

I was done talking about it. After our series was over I figured regardless of what happened everyone had moved on. I hop in the thread today and see it being brought up again with the implication that I was doing something wrong. I broke no rules. We had some miscommunication that you realized early in the game but didn't try to fix until after you determined you were going to lose.[/quote]

You are being defensive about doing things in game that we all don't agree on.
We're on opposite sides of the argument. You're being defensive about others doing things not everyone agrees with. Yet even the commish in this thread said it's ok, but said it shouldn't be excessive. Because you've been making a stink about it I haven't done an early steal since, and I won't for this league, but that is not an admission that it's cheap or unfair...but rather me just throwing my hands up in the air and saying this argument isn't worth it.
Much like Denog pointed out, why would you ask another league player (who cannot communicate back) about doing something that makes the game a great disadvantage?
The default is that it's well within the rules. I asked to be respectful to other people who feel it ruins the game. You noticed the early steal attempt I made very early in the game...all you needed to do was pause the game, post in this thread "hey turnbuckle, quit fucking early stealing" and that would've cleared up the misunderstanding. Just as you say "others agree with me that it's unfair" I can say within this thread, other players in this league also agree that it IS fair. This is why I ask.

As for it being unfair...If both teams can do it how does that make it unfair? It's kind of funny someone speaking to fairness while playing a team with the second best stats in the game ;)

Really, this issue is done and over. I'm not early stealing in this league unless my opponent explicitly says to do so. Just look at the stolen base stats in the league leaders list...I've played what, 8 games and have stolen or attempted stealing less than 10 times during that period? That's about as realistic and SIM-like as the Red Sox throwing 4 complete games in the first week of the season.

dude wtf! again in the bottom of the 7th in a 1 run game. there must be some type of glitch cause the same shit happened with 1 man on, 1 man out in the bottom of the 7th :/

turnbuckle

Is your guy's game locking up in other online matches? I have had a few freezes, but never during an actual game. Hopefully this isn't a sign of more freezes to come :(

FrenchMovieTheme said:
dude wtf! again in the bottom of the 7th in a 1 run game. there must be some type of glitch cause the same shit happened with 1 man on, 1 man out in the bottom of the 7th :/
This is unbelievable, wtf. The game was running perfectly

Sanjuro

I don't know what commissioner you are referring to, neither one of us like the idea of early stealing.

I'm sorry I'm using my hometown team and prefer to get the most out of my starters in the game when I'm commanding in a game. In fact one of the games we played I was unable to use my bullpen. I should have obviously taken that out on you.

turnbuckle

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I don't know what commissioner you are referring to, neither one of us like the idea of early stealing.

LJ11 doesn't like early stealing, but he didn't ban it. He said don't abuse it. He explicitly stated that he hasn't banned it, but would take feedback from both sides and may decide to do so.

I'm sorry I'm using my hometown team and prefer to get the most out of my starters in the game when I'm commanding in a game. In fact one of the games we played I was unable to use my bullpen. I should have obviously taken that out on you.

There's nothing wrong with you using your hometown team man. I was giving you a little ribbing for bringing up "fairness" in regards to a tactic both teams can use while playing a dominant team nobody else can. I would've picked the Tigers if they were the best, worst, or in the middle of the league as well.

My comment about you having 4 complete games in the first week of the season was to highlight that as much as we want this to be completely sim-like, we all make personal management decisions that aren't 100% congruent with the real world. You had Beckett throw a complete game where he gave up 5 runs, 3 of them in the 9th inning before there were any outs. I probably would've kept my starter in too, but in the real world the GMs would probably have a few words with us after the game. ESPN comment sections would have fans calling for our blood etc. etc.

I'm not sure what you meant about being unable to use your bullpen though. What happened?

LJ11

You guys are giving me a fucking headache, flat out stupidity.

Why on fucking earth did I let the last couple guys in? Fucking twats.

turnbuckle

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
The X button wouldn't register during the Beckett game. I was unable to take him out of the game.

Had no idea about that, sorry about that man. I don't even know what we could've done to fix that either. I certainly would've taken a friendly concede in that situation, but if you couldn't press X you wouldn't even have been able to offer it.

I keep my laptop next to me while playing the game. If the game is doing some weird stuff or anyone is having an issue and you're playing against me, please pause and say something in here. I would never make a person forfeit the game for using up their 5 minutes of pause time. Whatever disagreement we've been having over various issues, I always want games to be played fairly and don't want victories off game glitches or errors or anything along those lines.

For this league I'm not going to early steal period. If my opponent wishes to do so I'll adjust accordingly, but it's really not that important for me to be able to do it. My issue this whole time has been with being painted as an unfair player, and I try pretty hard to avoid that.

JambiBum

LJ11 said:
You guys are giving me a fucking headache, flat out stupidity.

Why on fucking earth did I let the last couple guys in? Fucking twats.

That's not directed at me is it? I haven't done shit. I was one of the last ones in. Only reason I'm asking.

Also, I want to play but none of my guys are around. :( I know rareside said he would be on Monday night so that's good. DMC you gonna be on tonight or not until tomorrow night?

JambiBum

DMczaf said:
I scheduled with Denog for tonight, if I can get more games in I'll post here.

If not, we can go tomorrow.

That's fine. Just let me know when. I'm usually fairly available so really as long as you have time we can play.

Sanjuro

Goddam at that game. Extra innings games make me to nervous. One of the best games I have played in this game online.

Rorschach, I'm up for more. Just need a ten min breather.

Rorschach

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Goddam at that game. Extra innings games make me to nervous. One of the best games I have played in this game online.

Rorschach, I'm up for more. Just need a ten min breather.
Great game, but please please stop with that pause stuff. You were doing it when you had no reason to and it kept taking away my pitching menu, location, and one time even the bar. That's how I lost that last run. Once or twice ok, but damn that was a lot of times.

Also, that was pretty evil quick pitching so I couldn't PH for Kuo. I shouldn't have swung, but still that's a free strike. :p

Sanjuro

Rorschach said:
Great game, but please please stop with that pause stuff. You were doing it when you had no reason to and it kept taking away my pitching menu, location, and one time even the bar. That's how I lost that last run. Once or twice ok, but damn that was a lot of times.

Also, that was pretty evil quick pitching so I couldn't PH for Kuo. I shouldn't have swung, but still that's a free strike. :p
Ah, sorry. I'm not pausing the game I'm looking at the pitcher/batter matchup screen. Towards the end I paused as I had to play NL baseball for once. :O

You owe me for putting Joe Nelson in the game anyway. If anyone is interested in him he will be in the free agent pool.

Rorschach

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Ah, sorry. I'm not pausing the game I'm looking at the pitcher/batter matchup screen. Towards the end I paused as I had to play NL baseball for once. :O
Ah. I corrected it sometimes by pausing myself.

I should have grabbed the play of Manny's fat ass woddling over to the ball to give up 2 runs. :lol

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
You owe me for putting Joe Nelson in the game anyway. If anyone is interested in him he will be in the free agent pool.
:lol

Top Bottom