• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 10 League: Zep's a No Show....again

LJ11

storybook77 said:
Damn Sony, 2 of my games are going to be simmed because Denog can't connect to the league. :(

What we can do is have you guys play a regular online match, and I'll just assign the W/L accordingly if it comes to that. Is he just having trouble connecting to the league at this point, or is Sportsconnect still giving him trouble in general?

rareside

LJ11 said:
Videogames do not mimic realty. Sure it happens in real life, no is saying it doesn't.

We're playing a videogame, and there are limitations with what the developers can do. As currently constructed it's easily exploitable. You can step off the mound with L1, hold on to the ball to slow the run game, but I've seen guys go for the early steel while I'm holding the ball and quickly get back before I can make the throw over. Transition is too slow.

I've banned exactly one thing, it's not the end of the world.

Taking it away isn't the end of the world, but it's taking away a legitimate part of the game, which is unacceptable.

Let's talk more about the early steal. I feel like too many people don't have a firm grip on what it's all about. First, as stated by LJ11, the mechanics of how to perform one:

LJ11 said:
Basically you take the Left stick, point it to the the base runner (ie right for a guy on 1st) and then press the corresponding icon of the base you want him to steal (triangle for 2nd). He'll hold for a second or two and then take off, he doesn't wait for the pitcher to make his delivery, he just takes off.

It's almost a guarantee that you'll swipe the bag if you time it right, or you catch someone napping. Last year you could just go back by pressing the R1 button if you mistimed the steal, so the base runner was going back and forth, really unrealistic. You really had to slow down the game, time your pickoffs, and really mix your opponent up.

Last year, this was easily exploitable, and the runner could get back safely and SIGNIFICANTLY disrupt the gameflow. This year the devs gave us more pickoff moves and it is much tougher to get back. It is unfair to compare this year's game to last year's in regard to early stealing. As a pitcher, it is VERY EASY to catch early base stealers this year (if you're always aware of their presence).

If you have never attempted an early steal I encourage you to get into a random game and attempt it. There are plenty of ignorant Show players who don't know how to do it/defend it. Whose fault is that?

Banning early steals results in dumbing down the game. Whereas errors in the game are completely out of our hands (it's not my fault my center fielder drops a fly ball when I positioned him under it), early steals are ALWAYS the fault of the human pitcher.

If I get into a game down by a run in the late innings with a runner on 1st and the pitcher stops paying attention, I will swipe 2nd easily. Every time. Does that make it cheap? No, it makes the pitcher look like the fool he is for not keeping me on.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
storybook77 said:
Damn Sony, 2 of my games are going to be simmed because Denog can't connect to the league. :(
When is the deadline for simming?

I am having a hard time logging on, in general. I will check later. I also am pitching in a real softball game tonight at 730pm.

I would apologize for this, but the blame falls on Sony. If they don't address this soon, I will pursue selling this game. Such a letdown.

DenogginizerOS

I played a clown who stole on me using Jorge Posada. He stole second and stole third. I tried all the pickoffs. As soon as I started pitching, it seemed he was already halfway between the bag. I couldn't find a middle ground on holding him and his stealing early. What was I doing wrong if this is not a glitch?

LJ11

Rareside, did you not try to steal early on me yesterday while I was holding on to the ball, and you got back in time before I could even step off the mound?

Listen, enough people have brought it to my attention that I'm taking it out. Nothing more to say really.

Edit: Holding on to the ball and stepping off is the main way to combat it. Pickoff moves really don't work unless he tries to steal as soon as he takes control of the baserunner, which will give you a shot, most won't though.

JambiBum

rare tried to early steal on me twice in our series. both times i picked him off. not a big deal to me. as bad as i played that series he still wasnt able to do that. it is quite easy to counter. hell i don't even do it yet i have no problem with it unless it is excessiv

DenogginizerOS

JambiBum said:
rare tried to early steal on me twice in our series. both times i picked him off. not a big deal to me. as bad as i played that series he still wasnt able to do that. it is quite easy to counter. hell i don't even do it yet i have no problem with it unless it is excessiv
How do you counter it other than throwing over?

Mrbob

I don't mind if early stealing is banned, but the sure fire way to stop it is throw to the base ahead of the runner when you step off the mound. If he is at first toss it to 2nd right away. At 2nd throw it to 3rd. It isn't a realistic way of keeping the runner on the base but it is a method to stop the play.

eznark

Banned
DCX said:
damn...we can play tonight then...my window is slowly shutting... :(

DCX
I can get all three in tonight if you want. I need to be in bed early since I am driving to Florida tomorrow though. If you're still on now I can play in a little bit. If we don't get them done I am gone til Friday night.

Not sure how long we have to play the third series?

LJ11

eznark said:
I can get all three in tonight if you want. I need to be in bed early since I am driving to Florida tomorrow though. If you're still on now I can play in a little bit. If we don't get them done I am gone til Friday night.

Not sure how long we have to play the third series?

You have like 10~11 days.

Sanjuro

Mrbob said:
I don't mind if early stealing is banned, but the sure fire way to stop it is throw to the base ahead of the runner when you step off the mound. If he is at first toss it to 2nd right away. At 2nd throw it to 3rd. It isn't a realistic way of keeping the runner on the base but it is a method to stop the play.
That's just something we shouldn't need to be doing in the first place. If you don't have any confidence in the runner's ability to steal the base then that should answer your question right there in whether to do it or not.

eznark

Banned
LJ11 said:
You have like 10~11 days.
thats what I thought, just making sure.

Man, it got fucking tense in here again. You guys know there is no prize money or anything for winning the league? You can't play like decent human beings to have fun with some internet acquaintances? The fuck, if someone finds something you're doing absurdly cheap or annoying just fucking quit doing it. I expected more from you, sports GAF.

Sanjuro

eznark said:
thats what I thought, just making sure.

Man, it got fucking tense in here again. You guys know there is no prize money or anything for winning the league? You can't play like decent human beings to have fun with some internet acquaintances? The fuck, if someone finds something you're doing absurdly cheap or annoying just fucking quit doing it. I expected more from you, sports GAF.
I'm going to throw a scoreless inning using Bill Hall against you.

1jahwk.jpg

eznark

Banned
:lol

That won't bug me because I would love to see it. If Jason Varitek quick steals I am going to drive to Brighton and shove a baseball bat in your urethra.

turnbuckle

I wish I could console myself and say, hey, it's a 162 game season. This is a travesty.

---

Alright Rare, it's comeback time. I'm gonna show you just what these Detroit Tigers are made of.

Sanjuro

eznark said:
:lol

That won't bug me because I would love to see it. If Jason Varitek quick steals I am going to drive to Brighton and shove a baseball bat in your urethra.
Deal. I'll save him for my late game with you when I have LaRussa'd my lineup and beverage.

eznark

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Deal. I'll save him for my late game with you when I have LaRussa'd my lineup and beverage.
I'm guessing at least one of the games will be a blowout, I think last year when we played I was never withing 5-6 runs, so seriously, pitch Bill Hall

Sanjuro

eznark said:
I'm guessing at least one of the games will be a blowout, I think last year when we played I was never withing 5-6 runs, so seriously, pitch Bill Hall
I'm going to pitch a complete game with him against the Rockies right now for practice.

DenogginizerOS said:
When is the deadline for simming?

I am having a hard time logging on, in general. I will check later. I also am pitching in a real softball game tonight at 730pm.

I would apologize for this, but the blame falls on Sony. If they don't address this soon, I will pursue selling this game. Such a letdown.

I may be around later. Watching the Hawks, Braves, and Lost (after 10 when the wife gets home) so I probably won't be available until 11 est. I hope they get the problem fixed for you soon Denog, it sucks.

rareside

DenogginizerOS said:
I played a clown who stole on me using Jorge Posada. He stole second and stole third. I tried all the pickoffs. As soon as I started pitching, it seemed he was already halfway between the bag. I couldn't find a middle ground on holding him and his stealing early. What was I doing wrong if this is not a glitch?

Just hold the ball longer as a pitcher. If he's quickstealing you will know, then just hit the stepoff button and watch him squirm. Just don't let him take the lead base. My strategy is to run towards the baserunner then throw to base just in time to tag him.

I won't early steal as default if that is what the group wants, but for others like myself we'll make an exception for our games.

DenogginizerOS

JambiBum said:

It works! I just got home and was able to log on.

Story,

I worked 21 hours over the last two days. I may not make it until 11pm.

Is this timer on our league absolute in that our games will be simmed automatically in less than 4 hours?

DenogginizerOS said:

It works! I just got home and was able to log on.

Story,

I worked 21 hours over the last two days. I may not make it until 11pm.

Is this timer on our league absolute in that our games will be simmed automatically in less than 4 hours?

Are you around now? Maybe we can get at least 1 in before you go play softball.

LJ11, can you assign wins/losses after the series has advanced so that maybe we can get in our games in the next couple of days since he was having connection difficulties?

Or will it only let you do that within a certain time frame.

LJ11

storybook77 said:
Are you around now? Maybe we can get at least 1 in before you go play softball.

LJ11, can you assign wins/losses after the series has advanced so that maybe we can get in our games in the next couple of days since he was having connection difficulties?

Or will it only let you do that within a certain time frame.

Pretty sure I can assign W/L. The games do not sim, I set it to off, so it's at my discretion. As long as you're okay with playing them outside the league, no stats etc, then I'm fine with it.

LJ11 said:
Pretty sure I can assign W/L. The games do not sim, I set it to off, so it's at my discretion. As long as you're okay with playing them outside the league, no stats etc, then I'm fine with it.

In this case, I'm fine with it since neither of us were at fault. The wins and losses will matter the most in the end anyway.

turnbuckle

Dominant series there, Rare. It says something that I'm happy I averaged at least a run per game against you. If you ever wanna play a quick game to up your record, hit me up.

rareside

good games turnbuckle. I like the fact you weren't afraid to use the early steal. I enjoy having to watch runners. Just need to learn to be realllly cautious with 2 strike counts. Had you fishing a bit much. I'm down for a game any time, and who knows, maybe we'll meet in the GAF playoffs...

Hope Bonderman's not out long for you.

turnbuckle

rareside said:
good games turnbuckle. I like the fact you weren't afraid to use the early steal. I enjoy having to watch runners. Just need to learn to be realllly cautious with 2 strike counts. Had you fishing a bit much. I'm down for a game any time, and who knows, maybe we'll meet in the GAF playoffs...

Hope Bonderman's not out long for you.

Yeah, my swing kills me. I think I need to pretend I can't aim my bat, because it gets me aiming for stuff I know is bad. At least, I should do that until I get more experience against good players such as yourself.

I'm not sure how injuries work. The game gave me the option of keeping him in the rotation, or putting him on the 15 or 60 day DL. I opted to put him on the 15 day DL and I called up Dontrelle. I was hoping to use the D-Train against you, but he started out with 0 energy.

For some reason my fielding is a lot worse than I remember it being. I start moving the stick right after contact, and far too often find myself controlling a player positioned in a spot opposite of where I expected. I let way too many ground balls go through.

DenogginizerOS

Story,

I had to eat dinner. I have to leave in about 20 minutes. If you are around later, we can play.

LJ,

Since I can log into the league, do we still need to play exhibition games?

DenogginizerOS said:
Story,

I had to eat dinner. I have to leave in about 20 minutes. If you are around later, we can play.

LJ,

Since I can log into the league, do we still need to play exhibition games?

I think if it advances...which it will by the time we play...we'll have to do exhibition.

JambiBum

LJ, still don't know if I'm going to be able to get my first series done on time. DMC has tried to play me once and we got disconnected halfway through. That game counted as a win in the schedule but not in the standings. Tried contacting him quite a few times since then and I haven't gotten anything back.

JambiBum

rareside said:
I'll be around tonight if anyone wants to play some league games.
Wish I would have waited until later tonight to play you rare. Didn't have hardly any lag in the game I just played DMC. You are still a machine though.

turnbuckle

Question - is the defense controls set to manual, assist, or auto in HoF or League play? I ask because I have mine set to manual and I wonder if maybe that's been part of my problem of defense. I probably just suck, but trying to find any excuse to explain why I've been laughably bad (especially in the infield)

rareside

JambiBum said:
Wish I would have waited until later tonight to play you rare. Didn't have hardly any lag in the game I just played DMC. You are still a machine though.

I'm down to play again if you want. We can play outside the league.

Sanjuro

Rorschach said:
Well, that sucks. I was going to ask you to play tonight that I finally have some times. Sigh.
Our third game is missing. I think we need to replay it at some point. The score of the phantom game isn't the same though.

turnbuckle

rareside said:
WOW! Turnbuckle and I just played an exhibition...

With the bases loaded Cruz hit a line shot and what happens next I have never seen before in the Show....Thanks Vlad. Pretty sure that's an out in real baseball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lztKmC6JzJ4

I recorded this video, and played back and forth the moment he got hit in the head. I wanted him to feel that pain a thousand times over. Instead, it reminded me of how badly I need to go find a game I'm good at. The Show obviously ain't it

Kingbrave

Rorschach said:
Well, that sucks. I was going to ask you to play tonight that I finally have some times. Sigh.

I was just browsing the schedule a few minutes ago and noticed it. I agree, that's fucked up!

Top Bottom