• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 10 League: Zep's a No Show....again

Mrbob

The problem with all this flexing ahead of time will be near the end of the season. If people are playing too many games now, you are waiting before the playoffs start. Each 3 game series is worth 5 days wait. Get too far ahead and people could lose interest in the league before the playoffs start.

Sanjuro

The sum of the first series. Nine games not attempted.

Two - (Washington / Minnesota) ( Chicago Cubs / St. Louis) (Tampa Bay / San Fransisco)
Three - Boston / Houston

One player has quit.

Is it fair to wait around week after week for people not to show up when I'm receiving invites to play right away?

The initial plan this year was to go multiple seasons. It hardly looks like we are going to complete one at this pace. People need to play more and enjoy playing against one another. Simple as that.

Mrbob

Can LJ advance each week ahead of its current pace? I was under the impression he could not, so whether people play their games ahead of time or not we are waiting 5 days to advance each week.

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:
Whoa multiple seasons? LJ11 never said that to my knowledge...
I was planning out the league when Zep wanted to give it a go. LJ just was passed on the load, I'm not sure if he is on board going forward in that regard.

I'm hoping this can step up in popularity. The NBA and NFL are the top dogs...I was hoping to at least UFC the shit out of this league.

Sanjuro

Mrbob said:
Can LJ advance each week ahead of its current pace? I was under the impression he could not, so whether people play their games ahead of time or not we are waiting 5 days to advance each week.
I'm not sure of this myself. I think the main problem with flexing is the injuries which are becoming quite the problem anyway. It doesn't bother me much, but they aren't going to get healthier.

LJ11

Mrbob said:

No, I can't advance multiple weeks. I gave people the flexibility to move ahead because shit happens in life, vacations/business trips etc, and you could plan ahead. Didn't want anyone going more than 3 weeks ahead of the current week. People ignored me, they have free time and play ahead. In the end, they're going to have to wait.

People are ignoring a lot of shit, or rather some people. Not feeling the injuries either, I should have listened to Denog. If I had an option to hit the reset button I certainly would, get rid of what I consider dead weight, people who play like twats, and start fresh.

Interested in what the rest of you have to say?

Edit: We can always do more seasons, but you have to start a fresh league at the end of the season. We'll see how many want to do another one, if anything we'll run a smaller league, I'll probably down for it if I have time.

Sanjuro

LJ11 said:
No, I can't advance multiple weeks. I gave people the flexibility to move ahead because shit happens in life, vacations/business trips etc, and you could plan ahead. Didn't want anyone going more than 3 weeks ahead of the current week. People ignored me, they have free time and play ahead. In the end, they're going to have to wait.

People are ignoring a lot of shit, or rather some people. Not feeling the injuries either, I should have listened to Denog. If I had an option to hit the reset button I certainly would, get rid of what I considered dead weight, people who play like twats, and start fresh.

Interested in what the rest of you have to say?
The flexing helps IMO. Last year was terrible.

Week One.
Sanjuro: OH BOY TIME TO PLAY!
Nobody shows up.

Week Two.
Nobody shows up.

Week Three.
Nobody shows up.

Ideally, yes we play the schedules. With a larger league and with more questionable people added to it I'm absolutely going to play when people are asking me to.

Mrbob

Can you start a new season, but bump up the advance? For example can you still make three game series, but perhaps make advancing happen in 1 day? This way once all the games are done we can advance to the next week right away and not have to wait a long time.

I remember being stuck on advancement last season as well because I had to wait for the timer to go down before I could advance.

I'm not against the flex, but this league is gonna flop on the tail end of the season if everyone has their games done and we are waiting for the clock to strike 0 before the postseason starts.

LJ11

Just to be clear, I'm more interested in how some of you will feel if I restart this shit...lol.

We've already lost one person, I would knock out a couple more, and start fresh.

Edit: Bob, I think the shortest is 3 days, we can do 3 days and if someone needs the extra day I can hold up the advance.

Sanjuro

Yeah, Bob has the right idea. The only problem again is having more people who are unreliable.

"Yeah I'll get that in today" - Posted two weeks ago.

I wish they gave more options honestly. The commissioner should have the ability to advance series by teams. Even better allow them to advance on their own. If they don't play then they are replaced by Gary Coleman.

eznark

Banned
I've only played 7 games so I'm not going to be crushed if we start over as long as it is considerably smaller number of participants.

Mrbob

I'm fine with a restart...can turn injuries off and get rid of the people who aren't playing. With a lower player count can get things done more quickly too.

Kingbrave

Uh, now I'm wondering if I'm dead weight... I blame the Mets.

I blame them for everything. Even my diabetes, seizures and that damn splinter that I can't get out..

Rorschach

Even when someone shows up, it's a crapshoot getting the game in because of connections. :(

I've had a busy few weeks and it was hard squeezing games let alone squeezing replays in. I've still managed to get serieseses in though! Was planning on getting some more in today.

oh wtf at a restart. really?

Injuries are a part of the game. It makes people watch their lineups/gets bench people in, I suspect a few of you are ignoring pitch counts/fatigue anyway. I say keep 'em on, and I have the Mets. :lol

Mrbob

That is a good point about fatigue. Probably best to keep it on then.

I'm just thinking about flex scheduling and how fast we can get a season in. 20 teams on a 5 day schedule is 100 days. 20 days on a 3 day schedule is 60 days. This is a big difference in terms of time needed to get games in. Especially if we are going to try and roll multiple seasons. People who are playing are hopping ahead anyway, why not cut down the wait time needed for the postseason?

eznark

Banned
Rorschach said:
Even when someone shows up, it's a crapshoot getting the game in because of connections. :(

I've had a busy few weeks and it was hard squeezing games let alone squeezing replays in. I've still managed to get serieseses in though! Was planning on getting some more in today.

You connection is a result of loving Al Davis. No one else seems to be having issues.

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:
oh wtf at a restart. really?

Injuries are a part of the game. It makes people wath their lineups/gets bench people in, I suspect a few of you are ignoring pitch counts/fatigue anyway. I say keep 'em on, and I have the Mets. :lol
I agree. However, they don't progress/heal properly.

So is Migs still in or should I not even worry about my games against him since he's my next opponent. I might be around later tonight but later tomorrow evening will probably be more likely since the Braves and Mets play tonight.

Rorschach

eznark said:
You connection is a result of loving Al Davis. No one else seems to be having issues.
It's not my connection. Once the game is being played, we're fine, but getting there is the hassle. The menus take forever to navigate sometimes. The servers are dog shit.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am ok with a restart. I am ok with trimming the leage. I am not a big fan of all this flexing because it is messing up my pitching rotation and a person can't plan ahead for key matchups.

eznark

Banned
Rorschach said:
It's not my connection. Once the game is being played, we're fine, but getting there is the hassle. The menus take forever to navigate sometimes. The servers are dog shit.
true enough

Just to clarify if we're doing to do a reset there better be a good reason for it. I haven't really seen a good one so far... only 1 person has quit.
storybook77 said:
So is Migs still in or should I not even worry about my games against him since he's my next opponent. I might be around later tonight but later tomorrow evening will probably be more likely since the Braves and Mets play tonight.
You get 3 wins since Mig is out. Tell LJ11 ASAP.
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I agree. However, they don't progress/heal properly.

*insert Mets 2009 season.gif*

turnbuckle

I'm cool with a restart or continuing. The beginning of the season got mired in confusion over what was expected and it feels more like everyone is on the same or close to the same page now. We could just chalk up the current season as being our "spring training" and hit the reset button. I would like to go multiple seasons, but if we lose flex scheduling I think were going to lose a lot of consistent participation.

Injuries on or off or sliders set to limit them : any is cool by me.

I just want to play, and I've found games with fellow gaffers tend to be far more enjoyable.

JambiBum

Kingbrave said:
This. Playing with randoms pales in comparison. Plus they send me hate mail.
Oh I'll send you hate mail KB. Just you wait. :D

As for restarting, I'm stuck waiting on people now so I don't really mind what the decision is. It's not like we are 8 weeks in and all of a sudden are restarting everything. Some people have more than the first 3 done but then again some people only have one done and they barely got that in on time. The people who are more active in the thread always seem to be around to play or have to wait on the people who are barely around at all. I get that people have life shit to worry about but they should have realized that the league would take a certain amount of commitment.

Whatever the decision ends up being I don't really mind. All I really want is a good system in place where we have people who are committed to play their games on time and there is little to no bullshit involved.

LJ11 said:
coolface.jpg

DenogginizerOS

The unreliability of the netcode in this game makes me hate this game. I am not sure if I can put up with a season of this. MrBob and I just played a game that was filled with so many lag spikes, it made strategy secondary to guessing. I hate losing because I give up meatball triples to hitters

DenogginizerOS

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Tomorrow I will compile a port forwarding tutorial.
I have forwarded the ports. I have wired. Bob bought a new modem. MLB's netcode just doesn't work well with us, or it just doesn't work well. Given the numerous issues people have had, I would say it is the latter.

Sanjuro

Then I guess scratch the port forwarding?

I'm not in denial that the netcode is far from perfect, it is certainly playable though. Last year I played over two-hundred games online using a shared internet connection wireless from my laptop. This season maybe around fifty games or so using ethernet. With all that the total of unplayable/laggy games doesn't even reach ten.

The majority of the problems for me comes from the feature hindering PSN. The most frequent cause of problems has been just the game's coding in general (game freezing/pitcher not coming to the mound/ball stuck in play/etc.).

turnbuckle

Yeah, I'd say about half the games I've played online are almost as smooth as if it were a local multiplayer match. There was a day last week that the connection was awful no matter who I was playing, but for the most part lag hasn't been much of a factor. You'll get the occasional spike here and there, but ever since I replaced my modem a few weeks ago MLB online has mostly been great.

Doytch

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Then I guess scratch the port forwarding?

I'm not in denial that the netcode is far from perfect, it is certainly playable though. Last year I played over two-hundred games online using a shared internet connection wireless from my laptop. This season maybe around fifty games or so using ethernet. With all that the total of unplayable/laggy games doesn't even reach ten.

The majority of the problems for me comes from the feature hindering PSN. The most frequent cause of problems has been just the game's coding in general (game freezing/pitcher not coming to the mound/ball stuck in play/etc.).
Yeah I don't have a huge problem with it *once I'm actually in the game.* It does feel different from playing offline (check swings, pitching meter), but it's not horrible besides the lag spikes every now and again that result in you totally missing a pitch.

DenogginizerOS

The problem with the lag spikes that causes the occasional "bad pitch" is that it can be the difference in a game. Unlike most EA Sports games and multiple other games, the netcode in MLB is so bad at times during the game, it can cost you the game. And that is not what I want.

Top Bottom