• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 11 League: Starbucks Edition

KanZolo

i havent played on HoF yet so it should be interesting for me.....

I may be able to squeeze a game in if I don't play my NCAA dynasty game tonight.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
The Frankman said:
So I'm looking at the strikeout totals so far... yeah. This will be a trying season.
4f2mD.jpg

turnbuckle

eznark said:
So two weird fly ball/pop up drops and a glitched throw the third on a dropped third strike (I think the camera might have confused the game or something? no idea but on a passed ball third strike I pressed O and Lucroy threw to third. Unless random mental errors are now part of the game. Cost me a run.

Yeah, neither of the games were very pretty. I'll be available after 8:30pm EST tomorrow if you wanna finish it up. I tried holding back my runners on a couple of those plays in the first game but was sure I'd get thrown out on the dropped 3rd strike in the second game. The online experience on the whole feels more sketchy to me this year than in 2010 --- not lag, really, but the timing feels off. Can't quite explain it. It's not rust because I was doing just fine in 2010 days before 2011 came out and now I'm pretty much a guaranteed 12-20k victim every night.

turnbuckle said:
The online experience on the whole feels more sketchy to me this year than in 2010 --- not lag, really, but the timing feels off. Can't quite explain it. It's not rust because I was doing just fine in 2010 days before 2011 came out and now I'm pretty much a guaranteed 12-20k victim every night.
The lag between online and the franchise isn't as bad as last year, but it's still there. I can't wait to get home and practice.

KanZolo

The Frankman said:
The lag between online and the franchise isn't as bad as last year, but it's still there. I can't wait to get home and practice.
I messaged you on PSN but no answer....U wanna get a game in?

Ha ha, two great games, LJ. I definitely spent too much time playing Pitcher RTTS the last couple of years and need to develop some non pitching skills. That was cool going all the way to the 12th in the latter game. As I said online, I was actually pressing X to advance the runner, which sucks because that's the command to send them home. That's my boneheadedness for not knowing better, though. Good stuff, I'll see you tomorrow for game 3.

KanZolo

i dunno what happened. when my guy got kicked out and went to sub screen it froze. It wouldnt let me do anything except bring up XMB. Its too late for me to start another game.

Beltran gets hurt sliding into home, OMFG THIS GAME IS SO REAL
WHY THE FUCK ARE INJURIES AT 5 LOL I'M DEAD

Game froze on KanZolo's end with me up 6-1 in the 6th. If you progress too quickly in a game with a bit of lag it can freeze. Such as if you check your pen and immediately the other guy does it a freeze can occur (at least last year). Maybe you rushed too quick to sub out the ejected guy.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
The Frankman said:
Beltran gets hurt sliding into home, OMFG THIS GAME IS SO REAL
WHY THE FUCK ARE INJURIES AT 5 LOL I'M DEAD
Game had Pat Burrell and Huff in the outfield while Cody Ross was DH.

SO REAL! :p

Didnt know you could change options for online games at the options menu. Gotta change camera angle, struck out 21 times first game lol

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:

It's not lag in a traditional sense, but the timing is certainly very fucking weird. I think it probably has to do with using the analog controls for hitting (which I am). Maybe they're doing some back end voodoo to make the input timing correct, which then throws off the video timing. There were many times where I swung, my player did nothing, then all of a sudden it was a foul ball sped up in crazy fast motion.

I have no idea why Counsell dropped that pop up. He had to go like three inches to his right to catch it, he got there...and the ball suddenly turned on the thruster jets and moved two feet to his left. Total bullshit, but whatever, not a lot you can do. The errant throw has me very concerned though. If that becomes a common thing in online league play (I've never had it happen in a normal online game) it ruins the experience for me. Errors are fine, but the game deciding on its own that my button presses are invalid? Fuck that shit.

That said, I am down for sometime around 9 tonight. Marcum said knock you out!

turnbuckle

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Didnt know you could change options for online games at the options menu. Gotta change camera angle, struck out 21 times first game lol

You can change the camera angle? If so...UH OH Ez, you're getting bounced in the rubber game tonight!

eznark said:
It's not lag in a traditional sense, but the timing is certainly very fucking weird. I think it probably has to do with using the analog controls for hitting (which I am). Maybe they're doing some back end voodoo to make the input timing correct, which then throws off the video timing. There were many times where I swung, my player did nothing, then all of a sudden it was a foul ball sped up in crazy fast motion.

Yup. Even using zone I'm having this problem. I remember there being a thread on Operation Sports complaining about the timing and "feel" of at-bats online. Was hoping it'd be fixed by now, but maybe it's something we're stuck with. I don't mind losing or striking out a bunch but I'll be impressed if someone doesn't set the K/9 record in this league.

I just made a side-by-side comparison for the default online batting camera and there's a pretty big difference between this year and last year. The camera on the left is from 2010, the one on the right from 2011. I definitely prefer the old camera angle.

SnzyL.png

eznark

Banned
turnbuckle said:
You can change the camera angle? If so...UH OH Ez, you're getting bounced in the rubber game tonight!

Ha, I was thinking the same thing! I use a totally different camera angle, which is why it took me so long to adjust (well, partly. Honestly though, I think I have been no-hit by Verlander like 8 times over the past three seasons)

turnbuckle said:
I read somewhere u could. Wen i get home im gonna check it out. Using same cam as offline would be great.

turnbuckle

eznark said:
Ha, I was thinking the same thing! I use a totally different camera angle, which is why it took me so long to adjust (well, partly. Honestly though, I think I have been no-hit by Verlander like 8 times over the past three seasons)

I think yesterday was the first no-hitter I threw in an online game ever and it felt completely cheap. Guaranteed if we were using our preferred angles you would've made me pay on a few mistake pitches.

SnzyL.png

Why did Sony have to mess with this!

Heh, the side-by-side really does a good job showing off the much improved scoreboard!

eznark said:
From what I've seen the only "fix" I've seen is to adjust Timing to 4 (slows pitches that seem too fast anyway) and/or adjust Hitting to All-Star, but the latter would bring it's own issues...
I have no idea why Counsell dropped that pop up. He had to go like three inches to his right to catch it, he got there...and the ball suddenly turned on the thruster jets and moved two feet to his left. Total bullshit, but whatever, not a lot you can do. The errant throw has me very concerned though. If that becomes a common thing in online league play (I've never had it happen in a normal online game) it ruins the experience for me. Errors are fine, but the game deciding on its own that my button presses are invalid? Fuck that shit.
The first thing you're talking about is a change in the game from last year... if your outfielder is not in that white catch circle (not the outside shadow) based on his settings he may not catch the ball aka poorer fielders have less room for error. Also the default Wind setting factors in, since Wind is nuts on Default. Even in the white catch circle, a strong wind can blow the ball away.

The second thing sounds like you throw cancelled and pressed another button by mistake.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
The second thing sounds like you throw cancelled and pressed another button by mistake.

Agree that's what it sounds like, however I've done that often (on double plays, sooooo slow) and it didn't happen. I simply pressed the button in a controlled manner so as not to do the traditional The Show Overthrow on a dropped third strike and Lucroy threw the ball directly to McGehee. It was the strangest fucking thing.

turnbuckle

Lots of bitching (pretty much all legitimate) but just wanted to say thanks to the commish for setting this up and to everyone involved in what should be a fun, albeit strikeout heavy, season.

turnbuckle said:
Lots of bitching (pretty much all legitimate) but just wanted to say thanks to the commish for setting this up and to everyone involved in what should be a fun, albeit strikeout heavy, season.
Turn wat are you trying to show those side by side bars?

turnbuckle

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Turn wat are you trying to show those side by side bars?

The batting angle is quite different. At a quick glance they look similar but check the strike zone location and look at where the batter's (week's) hip is compared to the outfield wall. The 2011 angle is a flatter view and I'm thinking it makes the ball appear faster. I'm not sure precisely how the camera affects the player's perception, but I certainly am having a harder time hitting this year (offline and on) with the default camera. This is the first year I've actually gone with a different view for batting in the franchise games and the difference has been immense. So if I can tweak a camera to improve my performance offline, I'm thinking the tweak Sony made to the online camera is screwing a lot of people up. Just look at the average person's K rate and batting average online - the numbers are ridiculous!

SephriJ

Can anyone confirm that we can change the camera angle in the league games? If so maybe I will get more than 2 or 3 hits in a game. Something has to help lol.

turnbuckle said:
The batting angle is quite different. At a quick glance they look similar but check the strike zone location and look at where the batter's (week's) hip is compared to the outfield wall. The 2011 angle is a flatter view and I'm thinking it makes the ball appear faster. I'm not sure precisely how the camera affects the player's perception, but I certainly am having a harder time hitting this year (offline and on) with the default camera. This is the first year I've actually gone with a different view for batting in the franchise games and the difference has been immense. So if I can tweak a camera to improve my performance offline, I'm thinking the tweak Sony made to the online camera is screwing a lot of people up. Just look at the average person's K rate and batting average online - the numbers are ridiculous!
They definitely did, but I also heard they added/removed frames in the AB interface... anyone hear about this? I'm posting in the thread in Gaming. I know some pitchers have some weird issue where the ball seems to come out of their shoulders.

LJ11

Duane Cunningham said:
Ha ha, two great games, LJ. I definitely spent too much time playing Pitcher RTTS the last couple of years and need to develop some non pitching skills. That was cool going all the way to the 12th in the latter game. As I said online, I was actually pressing X to advance the runner, which sucks because that's the command to send them home. That's my boneheadedness for not knowing better, though. Good stuff, I'll see you tomorrow for game 3.

Yeah, good games dude. The base running was the difference, especially in game two since you had back to back doubles (maybe 3 in a row, my memory isn't that good).

I can play tonight around the same time.

The Frankman said:
So I'm looking at the strikeout totals so far... yeah. This will be a trying season.

I struck out a lot on check swings, seems like it's much stricter since I'm accustomed to All-Star (I've only played online games, nothing offline/no RttS).

Both Volquez and Francis went down with injuries in the 4th and 3rd innings respectively.

Sanjuro

Just had a game with Pete, he dominated but everything felt very off. I only mustered 3/4 hits but we both had 14/15 Ks. Every shot felt like gravity giving up on the ball.

I'm not sure what else there is to do? I blame the sliders.

LJ11

Good series Duane, had a few look bounces early in the game and was able to bring them in.

Dominicano, whenever you're done with your first series let me know, you're my next opponent followed by Frank.

Yeah, great stuff! I definitely learned a lot during the three games. I'd only played online a couple of times before (after being unimpressed with Show 10's lag issues), but now I'm hooked.

turnbuckle

GGs Eznark. I'm sure you'll get a lot more scoring opportunities in our next series when you have more experience with analog hitting (or go the sane route and switch back to zone!).

eznark

Banned
turnbuckle said:
GGs Eznark. I'm sure you'll get a lot more scoring opportunities in our next series when you have more experience with analog hitting (or go the sane route and switch back to zone!).

I played this game on wireless just to test it. I didn't really notice a difference, did you?

SephriJ

Going to finish my series with Corran tomorrow hopefully, then I think I play LJ next. Let me know what days are good for ya in PM or something, I kind of have a hectic schedule during the week a little but hopefully we can work something out.

turnbuckle

eznark said:
I played this game on wireless just to test it. I didn't really notice a difference, did you?
There was a couple times where I couldn't get the release point and the ball went in the dirt (one of which eric karros brilliantly said "that same pitch was called a strike earlier" haha.) But overall the game was pretty smooth and much better than the wireless experiences I had in 2010.

eznark

Banned
turnbuckle said:
There was a couple times where I couldn't get the release point and the ball went in the dirt (one of which eric karros brilliantly said "that same pitch was called a strike earlier" haha.) But overall the game was pretty smooth and much better than the wireless experiences I had in 2010.

I actually had the same thing happen when wired a couple of times, so to me that was par for the course but yeah, 1000x better than the last few seasons.

Sanjuro, what's the protocol on playing ahead?

Question: With PSN down and theshownation.com down, are Leagues even updating? I can't even sign into the league, you guys must've got lucky and not have been kicked out yet.

Top Bottom