• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 11: The Show League - 3rd Time's A Charm, Right? RIIIIIIGGHHHT?

LJ11

eznark said:
What's going on in my family? Also, kana and I finished early last week.

It's amazing when the commish doesn't even know wtf is going on yet he's concerned with the league moving too slow. LOL

eznark said:
Ya, Kanz and I played our last game on 6/25. He had a ton of balks and I won as a result.
hmmmm... I may have accidentally deleted that game. That or it never registered online... *sigh* I'll just log on again. God the league controls suck.
It's amazing when the commish doesn't even know wtf is going on yet he's concerned with the league moving too slow. LOL
why u still mad? Now I gotta no-hit you next time.

2nd Series Done, League advances!

3rd series are as follows:
The Frankman (Mets) vs. Duane Cunningham (Royals)
pistolpete2940 (Yankees) vs. Marleyman (Marlins)
LJ11 (Reds) vs. eznark (Brewers)
Square Triangle (Cubs) vs. Corran Horn (Giants)

KanZolo (Phillies) gets the Bye in Week 3.

OP (rules and crap)

If a series league goes past its 5-day period and I hear nothing from either player in this thread or via PM that they need a few days I'm coin-flipping. Gotta speed this up, Hell I have to make a trip to Philly to help family move and I'm lugging the PS3 with me for it.

Marleyman

Banned
Pistol, let me know when you are available this weekend. I don't go back to work until Tuesday, so let's get 2 games at least in by then.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Only took 10 innings from Matt Cain and 22 strikeouts but I finally get a win this season (thats not from a coin flip).

Good game.

Game 7, Series 3
Mets - 10 - 13 - 0
Royals - 1 - 3 - 0
Final

Sorry about what happened with Sean O' Sullivan. Stunned he didn't get hurt...

Square Triangle said:
Frank, do you have any pointers on batting? Every year I tell myself I'll get better and I think it's just getting worse and worse.
... I'm not even a good batter, but what I've noticed is this:

a) You will never get better w/o Practice: Whether it's RTTS or Practice Mode, use it. I've played since MLB 07 (MLB 09 was my first purchase) and what I used to do was take 200 swings a week with my smallest PCI batters via a pitcher with a good arsenal (AJ Burnett or Joba Chamberlain I liked to face). Why? If I made good contact with their small PCI's that same contact would be better with your better hitters' bigger PCI's. Da_Czar's vid made for a perfect reference, and this year Practice Mode is even more specialized to help you. Ironically, I don't use Practice mode anymore because of the next point.
b) Make a RTTS Hitter: Considering you start off in AA with dirt crap stats, if you're able to progress and level up your guy via hitting you must be doing a good job. Personally I feel the Default settings turn the pitchers into strikethrowing machines, so I use the tweaked Operation Sports sliders for my RTTS guy. There pitchers will actually try and throw bad pitches to hitters, and it forced me to learn the strike zone and stay patient.
c) Learn your opponent: Playing Online alot you'll run into alot of players who use less than reputable tactics... the Quickstealer, the Junkballer, and worst of all the Intentional Zone Sitter. A good way to hit is find out what the tactics of the opposing player are, and make him adjust. Guy spamming curves in the dirt? Make him elevate it by taking it. When you've got a few walks you force the pitcher to stay in the zone.
d) Make a gameplan: I think I said it when I was facing LJ11 that I'm patient to a fault, and it's true. I will drive up pitch counts online and have pitchers tired by the 5th/6th inning because I trust my batting eye even behind in the count. However, I also know that pitchers adjust to that and the minute I get a 1st pitch fastball down the middle after taking it to 2-3 straight guys I'm crushing it. My feeling is this: You're going to strike out a ton in this game due to crappy camera angle anyway, if I can get 2 good swings an AB I'm happy. Try and develop some kind of hitting philosophy based on the sum of your experiences.

Biggest point? LEARN THE STRIKEZONE AND MOVE YOUR PCI. Every player has their own personal zone. A simple press of L3 shows that and even on All-Star very few players have a PCI that covers the whole zone. Whether it's unintentional ("Lazy L-stick Thumb/Quick Button Thumb") or not, alot of times players never move their PCIs even on Power swings. So what most pitchers will do is work on/just off the corners, and you never really square up the ball unless it's a mistake pitch or Superb Timing. The difference between a liner in the gap and a hard chopper to the 2nd baseman can be moving your PCI a bit down on a sinker low.

With that said, I'm not a good hitter (.210 playing at mostly HoF level). But at least with an approach I feel I put myself in a position to succeed most games.

Thanks for the info. I am so easily fooled on breaking balls it's disgusting. I need to time myself much better, I swing as if everything is going to be a fastball as every wing is early or very early.

I've done the practice mode a couple times, going to have to continue with various pitchers and hitters. Also my RTTS is a pitcher, so I suppose it would make sense to create a new one with consistent hitting involved.

Marleyman said:
Pistol, let me know when you are available this weekend. I don't go back to work until Tuesday, so let's get 2 games at least in by then.

How's tonight after the game sound for you (around 7 est)?

The Frankman said:
Game 7, Series 3
Mets - 10 - 13 - 0
Royals - 1 - 3 - 0
Final

Sorry about what happened with Sean O' Sullivan. Stunned he didn't get hurt...

That's okay, good game! Clearly, I need to spend some time with the post you just made. I'm down for the other two games a little later today, or any evening this week.

Duane Cunningham said:
That's okay, good game! Clearly, I need to spend some time with the post you just made. I'm down for the other two games a little later today, or any evening this week.
ok hopefully sometime today we'll play. I need to get used to the TV down here.

eznark

Banned
Sorry guys, went out of town for a few days. LJ, any chance you can get one in tonight? I will be able to force myself awake for one game. If not, should be able to plow through them tomorrow.

LJ11

eznark said:
Sorry guys, went out of town for a few days. LJ, any chance you can get one in tonight? I will be able to force myself awake for one game. If not, should be able to plow through them tomorrow.

I was out last night, sorry. I'm free today after 4, I'll PM you.

The Frankman said:
Duane I'm ready to play anytime tonight.

Cool, I'm ready whenever. Looks like PSN is back up. I'm kind of keeping one eye one the real Royals game, but if you can get on, I'll forsake it for a fake game they may actually win.

Game 8, Series 3
Mets - 5 - 7 - 0
Royals - 0 - 1 - 2
Final

Game 9, Series 3
Mets - 8 - 14 - 0
Royals - 1 - 1 - 1
Final

good series, man. The RTTS thing and hitting will take time but I definitely saw improvement at the dish. Only at Game 9 of 60, stay strong.

eznark

Banned
First disconnect of the season(s) happened with me and LJ last night. Lame. Gonna try again tonight. I've got to mow the lawn but I'll be around by 8:30 or so.

Marleyman

Banned
Pistol, I get off work and home around 7pm est each night this week. I am down to play any night this week in the evening - let me know.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
Ummm it's 5 days and I see a few guys are behind. You need extra time post here/PM me please.

I was gone all holiday weekend. LJ and I tried to get one in last night but had a connection error in the 2nd. We'll get em done, give us a couple more days. Start the new series this weekend?

Marleyman said:
Pistol, I get off work and home around 7pm est each night this week. I am down to play any night this week in the evening - let me know.

Cool, tonight it is then. I'll try to post on here around 7:15 so we could link up.

eznark said:
I was gone all holiday weekend. LJ and I tried to get one in last night but had a connection error in the 2nd. We'll get em done, give us a couple more days. Start the new series this weekend?
Sounds good, whenever you guys are ready.

reminds me, I need to give KanZolo his wins.

Marleyman

Banned
pistolpete2940 said:
Cool, tonight it is then. I'll try to post on here around 7:15 so we could link up.

I will probably not be able to get on until around 7:30 at the earliest, but after that I am good to go.

Top Bottom