• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 12: The Show Online League Thread or How Will PSN Die in 2012?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Haha buddy of mine told me to choose the Washington Natinals, represent the former Expos since I can't be the Jays.

Started a new franchise, 2 batters in and Josh Johnson already has an arm injury

Gonna brace myself for that to actually happen again

What teams are left that nobody wants? i guess ill just sign up with one of them. Don't want to step on any toes though since i don't really care who i play

ecnal

when is the test league going up?

also, for this page:

i have a friend that wants to play, but he doesn't have a gaf account yet.

he's always available on steam; would you guys be opposed to letting him join?

he's interested in the reds if it's cool for him to join.

Ramirez

Yea, so I played a few innings last night, this is really different from the last one I played. (09 I think?)

What settings are we using? There's no pitching meter anymore? What's with the expanding circle before you pick a pitch? Is the batting cursor something you can turn off, I felt it really messed with my vision on seeing pitches come in. =\

Mrbob

You have to go into the options and change settings. Default is the new analog hitting and pitching system.

Change pitching to Meter and hitting to Zone as those are the defaults you are used to playing with. You can also change throwing and bunting back to buttons as well.

Ramirez

Is that what we're using in the league?

The pitching system seemed awful to me. In my mind you want to let go of the ball as the pitcher is about to release, but I was getting "perfect" releases by letting go way before that point, didn't make any sense to me.

Mrbob

I hope so. I need my buttons and can't play any other way. I'm not a fan of the pure analog system either.

Doytch

Haven't played it yet but in previous years you could pick whichever system you wanted when playing online, you didn't have to use the same one as your opponent.

This is a Playstation Move 3D only league guys.

1238584287_seinfeld_had_enough.gif

Doytch

Siick, UPS is telling me my copy arrived. Gotta knock out some Stones at karaoke tonight, but if anyone wants a game at 6, I'll be down.

Got both versions now. I'm acheron_xl on PSN too, so anyone who's up at the fucked hours I'm awake and home (approx 4am - 12pm central) should hit me up for a game.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Jesus Christ this game is so amazing.

Holy shit am I blown away, this might be the best sports game I've ever played in my life. It feels so genuine.

This is the first time I've ever really owned an MLB the show game

turnbuckle

Jesus Christ this game is so amazing.

Holy shit am I blown away, this might be the best sports game I've ever played in my life. It feels so genuine.

This is the first time I've ever really owned an MLB the show game

Yeah, I remember having that feeling back when I got it in 2008. I hadn't owned a baseball game since maybe 2004 on the Xbox. The Show felt like it was a generation ahead of everything else and still looks generally incredible. I want this generation to be done and over with ASAP primarily because I can't wait to see how good the Show will look on next gen hardware.

I only spent a few minutes on the Vita version setting up my RTTS character and I gotta admit I was disappointed at how slow it looked there. I haven't played a game yet, but that first impression left me thinking I'll be doing most of my gaming on the PS3 version still this year.

BigAT

I would like to play some test games tonight to find this out myself. If interested, hit me up after 8EST.

I haven't actually picked it up yet, I'm waiting to hear about how the online is since that has typically been the downfall of The Show and because they didn't even turn it on for reviewers.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I haven't actually picked it up yet, I'm waiting to hear about how the online is since that has typically been the downfall of The Show and because they didn't even turn it on for reviewers.

Gotcha. I will definitely report back the results (if I can get some competition tonight).

Yeah, I remember having that feeling back when I got it in 2008. I hadn't owned a baseball game since maybe 2004 on the Xbox. The Show felt like it was a generation ahead of everything else and still looks generally incredible. I want this generation to be done and over with ASAP primarily because I can't wait to see how good the Show will look on next gen hardware.

I only spent a few minutes on the Vita version setting up my RTTS character and I gotta admit I was disappointed at how slow it looked there. I haven't played a game yet, but that first impression left me thinking I'll be doing most of my gaming on the PS3 version still this year.

Basically my verdict, too, but I've played more RttS games on Vita so far anyway. I've been so busy this week, and it's been great to have a game going at all times that I just throw a couple of innings, put it back in sleep mode and throw it back in my jacket pocket.

It really does look kind of assy, though. It's almost like a satellite app to PS3 the Show.

Mrbob

Yeah the transferring stuff is great between PS3 and Vita. I started a RTTS character on Vita and then put the save to the cloud and continued on PS3, easy! There are a couple Vita specific issues. It isn't just the graphics, which are obviously worse. I expected this. But the ball physics don't seem nearly as as nice on Vita. Also, when you are playing regular games, the proportion of the players and the ball while fielding seems strange. The ball is too big (probably overcompensated for a smaller screen) and the fielding cam is at a strange, lower but wider angle. It's easily playable, however I'll choose to stick with PS3 when I'm at home. Unless I'm watching something on TV at the same time!

So what is the verdict on online play this year?

Problems again this year. Hopefully they get smoothed out.

(EDIT-Nevermind this post, I was looking at it wrong, I guess.)

I've noticed the advancement goals in RttS are different on each platform... how does that work? On PS3, my first one is to allow less than 17 earned runs. On Vita, it's to raise four stats. Same deadline, three weeks. I guess I'll find out how it works soon enough.

Fenix

Got around to sending everyone PSN friend requests last night, except for Corran and eznark, cause both of your lists are maxed out.

Damn it, my first baseman in RTTS was on fire in the Marlins farm system then I got traded for AJ Pier and I'm on the Barons now

Time to take over the house that Jordan built!

eznark

Banned
Got around to sending everyone PSN friend requests last night, except for Corran and eznark, cause both of your lists are maxed out.

Yeah I just heard about that I'll deal with it next week and cull the list. It's weird, I never play games on the ps3. No idea how it got maxed out.

Sanjuro

Yeah I just heard about that I'll deal with it next week and cull the list. It's weird, I never play games on the ps3. No idea how it got maxed out.

Yeah, everything online is still a huge pain in the ass like normal. I was hoping they would change some things.

Basically unless you log into the game, you can't invite people. Can't set up a league password. Everybody needs to have logged into the game, be on my friends list, and I need to send out individual invites to each person.

I guess for now people just get some games in and see if the number of people who have posted already still are interested when it's good to go.

Ramirez

Yeah, everything online is still a huge pain in the ass like normal. I was hoping they would change some things.

Basically unless you log into the game, you can't invite people. Can't set up a league password. Everybody needs to have logged into the game, be on my friends list, and I need to send out individual invites to each person.

I guess for now people just get some games in and see if the number of people who have posted already still are interested when it's good to go.

My ID is RamirezGAF, I believe.

Sanjuro

Test league is probably a no go. I sent out invites to people last week, but most people haven't responded or even signed into the game.

The inability to set a league password is absurd.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
My brother just told me he accepted a few friend requests last night when he turned on the PS3, I assume it was any of you guys.

I'm good to get hammered by anyone here from Thursday onwards.

Top Bottom