• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 12: The Show Online League Thread or How Will PSN Die in 2012?

Macattk15

Its a Miguel Cabrera Avatar! And you can have the Mariners as long as I get another team. I just knew some vets had claim on the Tigers and wanted to play with King Felix. Find me another team (not the Pirates or Astros) and we're good

Nah it's ok. I was just giving you shit. I don't even own the game yet. Still waiting to jump on it ... I bought MLB 11 ... not convinced MLB 12 is worth it at $60 yet, unless online is better ... which it doesnt seem it is.

Played Acherion X today. Good game broski. Game had no lag. I either got a hit or struck out. Hitting is tough again online. Timing is off of course. Late on everything most of the time.

Considering I had it on legend, I was pleased with the amount of contact I was able to make. Seemed like a typical online game. Not flawless, but absolutely playable.

A few more days then I'm picking up this game. It's been killing me to hold true to my usual pattern of buying The Show after the 2nd/3rd week of March.

gg ecnal! felt like i got robbed with the ridiculous "error" on the easy throw and then on your last run i would've easily gotten that last out before the run but for some reason my guy threw at the fucking plate before i even had the ball! maybe i accidentally pressed X and preloaded the throw, i don't know.

then in my last at bats i got my guy on and i was trying to steal and he wouldn't fucking go! then he FINALLY goes but he's out :(

Mrbob

I'm not a fan of pulse pitching, but I'll try to adapt if that is the way we go! Not like I'll make any noise anyway. My team is pure garbage.

ecnal

gg ecnal! felt like i got robbed with the ridiculous "error" on the easy throw and then on your last run i would've easily gotten that last out before the run but for some reason my guy threw at the fucking plate before i even had the ball! maybe i accidentally pressed X and preloaded the throw, i don't know.

then in my last at bats i got my guy on and i was trying to steal and he wouldn't fucking go! then he FINALLY goes but he's out :(

ya, that error on a dropped third strike killed you. you were using button throwing, and when you constantly throw max velocity w/ buttons while fielding, your chances for errors increase.

gg tho, pitchers duel for sure. alonso with some clutch hitting.

ya, that error on a dropped third strike killed you. you were using button throwing, and when you constantly throw max velocity w/ buttons while fielding, your chances for errors increase.

gg tho, pitchers duel for sure. alonso with some clutch hitting.

what is the other throwing method? i didn't know you could choose :(

anyways it was a pitchers duel indeed. you are a much better hitter than i am so i was fortunate to even be in that game :/

ecnal

what is the other throwing method? i didn't know you could choose :(

anyways it was a pitchers duel indeed. you are a much better hitter than i am so i was fortunate to even be in that game :/

analog stick fielding -- it's in the fielding options.

you're a pretty disciplined batter, man. you were really locked in on inside/outside pitches. i was lucky to figure out that you liked to chase high fast balls.

padres offense tho :|

gonna be a rough season. small ball for life.

Mrbob

It's going to be fun this year seeing the comedy of errors on the field. Played FMT last night and my defense was STOUT:

1) 1st and 3rd, one out, ball hit to my 3rd baseman? Easy double play right? Nope! Ball goes under my 3rd baseman's glove and to the outfield!

2) Attempted another double play ball hit to 3rd and this time he grabbed it, but when I threw it to 2nd the ball flew into the outfield!

3) Had a 3rd double play opportunity when the ball went between my first baseman's legs!

4) Showing how real the game is, Soriano whiffed on a fly ball to the outfield.

I have the baseball dream team this season!

I'm fucking dying at MrBob's post.

I'm still running some CPU sims and trying to get in some gameplay, hopefully I can have a test set of sliders within a week.

turnbuckle

Although I'm not a part of the league I figure I'd post about the game here instead of the official thread. One thing I've noticed so far at least in Diamond Dynasty is that when the pitcher tries to pick off at first, there is a ridiculously high chance of an error being committed on the play. In the 20 or so games I've played it's not an exaggeration to say this happened to me a dozen times, and to my opponents at least a half dozen. Also have had the ball hitting a base and messing up plays more frequently than I'd like.

On the other hand, the pitcher's reaction to balls hit straight at him seems far better than in previous years. It was almost always a guaranteed hit in the past if you'd clobber a pitcher with a batted ball, but I'd say a good quarter of the time or more the pitcher now decides to field his position rather than act like someone with a mental disability once their pitch is thrown.

--edit--

Sorry about the other night, Frankman. I was in too deep on DD mode and wasn't up for regular H2H. I tried typing a response, but my keyboard started spazzing out so I just gave up. Didn't mean to ignore you :p

eznark

Banned
What's your DD strategy? I've only played two games and haven't really looked at it, kind of playing RTTS til the rosters come out but figured DD might be a cool diversion as well. Do you invest in improving players, or do you buy card packs?

turnbuckle

What's your DD strategy? I've only played two games and haven't really looked at it, kind of playing RTTS til the rosters come out but figured DD might be a cool diversion as well. Do you invest in improving players, or do you buy card packs?

The first few games I did I decided to buy the generic player card packs, but I quickly switched over to the MLB packs because I'm a sucker for progress bars and collection counts in games. If you're not interested in completing the MLB card collections it's probably more cost beneficial to get the generic player packs and upgrade them. The problem with the MLB players is that they're only available for 10 games. This is particularly bothersome with starting pitchers, since that means you'll only get 2-3 games out of them before they abandon ship. I haven't checked to see if putting a player on "reserve" will allow them to regain stamina or if putting them on reserve will stop the countdown on their games available.

One strategy I used, but admittedly haven't thought about the cost/benefit all too much yet, is that I'll buy a MLB pack and a generic pack then I'll recycle 2 of the shitty mlb cards with one good generic card. Doing this will give you an above average card back (and the more cards you put in at higher quality, the better the odds of getting a good card) and the chance of that card being an MLB player rather than a generic one is dependant on the number and types of cards you put in.

So putting in 2 F rated MLB cards
+ 1 A rated generic card
= a 66% chance of getting a decent quality MLB player.

I also use my 90+ rated MLB cards and recycle them with a shitty player, because the card you get back is guaranteed to be in a range from A- to A+ quality. I have 3 Ryan Brauns on my team by mating Derek Jeter (90 rating, A-Rod is 89 lol) with any random scrub. This helps to fill out the collection and increase your odds of getting back players in positions that you can use.

I only messed with the mode on Friday and Sunday so a lot of the specifics and strategies probably escape me. I noticed the first few games I'd win between 2-6 million bucks if I was a winner, or a fraction of that if I lost. As I started putting more high quality MLB players on my roster and won more games I'm seeing myself win $10-12 million per game now.

Shit is too addictive. It's like RTTS on steroids and way more fun to me. Goddamned shame it isn't in the Vita version.

I use my winnings to train the players that still have a bunch of games left. When I approach needing to replace someone, I buy packs of the generic players, recycle everything under gold level until I get one or two good cards to turn into rostered players. Recycling is essential. Two silver cards more or less = 1 gold card. Two gold cards = 1 platinum card. I pretty much avoid MLB players now since their lifespan is so short.

eznark

Banned
I use my winnings to train the players that still have a bunch of games left. When I approach needing to replace someone, I buy packs of the generic players, recycle everything under gold level until I get one or two good cards to turn into rostered players. Recycling is essential. I pretty much avoid MLB players now since their lifespan is so short.

Do you ever run out of funds? I played the similar mode in NHL 12 and found myself unable to field teams at times because of guys retiring or whatever. Super annoying.

Do you ever run out of funds? I played the similar mode in NHL 12 and found myself unable to field teams at times because of guys retiring or whatever. Super annoying.

It hasn't been a huge problem so far. For full disclosure, I got 7000 DD credits from buying it at Walmart which I bought packs with, and have tossed a few actual dollars in for DD credits, which I bought more packs with. I did buy some MLB cards until I really got into it, and rostered Braun twice, JUp, Desmond Jennings and a few others. They did provide a nice bridge to getting enough of a base of generic players to field a full roster of them. If nothing else, I suspect the MLB cards sell better on the market since the players are known quantities. I've gotten around 8 million bucks for Derek Jeter for example, which can yield a more valuable generic player via packs or training. And train up the high aptitude players. If a guy has aptitude 35, every stat you train above 35 has an aptitude penalty attached, so they can be really expensive to turn into stars. A gold or platinum card with high aptitude can be trained up into a monster.

I'm going to start putting together a test league, like 9 games total. I worked out a slier set and have been talking to some noted slider gurus, I need to test it out in realtime vs. humans and get feedback. I need 5 other players here to play like 6 or a 9 game league, any volunteers?

DCX

DCX
I'm going to start putting together a test league, like 9 games total. I worked out a slier set and have been talking to some noted slider gurus, I need to test it out in realtime vs. humans and get feedback. I need 5 other players here to play like 6 or a 9 game league, any volunteers?

I will.

DCX

ecnal

i'll help out with a test league.

Top Bottom