• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

TylerD

Trucks is the best to watch in my opinion. Nationwide would be good if it wasn't on ESPN and filled with 10+ Cup drivers every week.

Development series where the big boys get to race as well seems so counter productive to me.

Out of interest, what is the difference between nationwide and sprint? I kept hearing that nationwide was like the b league, but it looked like it was all the same drivers to me.
It is a lot of the same drivers... because equipment matters a lot in racing, you get to go dominate the B league in the best equipment and make money for it! Woohoo!

It hurts that nationwide races the day before cup on the same tracks most weeks, so it's not even that hard for cup drivers to do. It'd be nice if NASCAR did something to fix it.

Im going to have a bad taste in my mouth until Phoenix now. Lol

Jimmy Johnson and the Bush brothers just piss me off so bad when they win.

Im going to have a bad taste in my mouth until Phoenix now. Lol

Jimmy Johnson and the Bush brothers just piss me off so bad when they win.
As long as JJ doesn't win any more championships (fat chance? idk, never would've thought Gordon was done 10 years ago, and yet here we are), I don't care if he wins.

He's a robot. If he is incapable of emotion, why should I feel emotion towards him?

Vicious

I'm not accusing anyone, but I think there should be a penalty if you damage your car during a celebration even if it's an accident.

Shaneus

Some of you guys really need to stay in your own lanes, because you are making yourselves look extremely ignorant talking about topics you clearly know almost nothing about.
If you're talking about me, I've mentioned several times that I'm not at all knowledgeable about regarding the sport and history behind it. I would love people to fill me in and correct my assumptions if they're wrong, but if being curious and explaining my position and why I think the way I do gets me an "ignorant" label, then I'll "stay in my own lane" and not bother learning about anything I'm not familiar with.

I mean, I'm not American but I'm sure I can learn to think like that.

;)

Informative post otherwise, though. Thanks for bringing me up to speed :)

TylerD

Upcoming Race Warning! Grand-Am at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, TX 3pm CST Saturday March 2nd On SPEED

1000_512291a188a40all_web_shots.jpg

A lap of Circuit of the Americas with Turner Motorsports

Seanspeed

Banned
I keep giving NASCAR a shot and I dont know why. I regret it most everytime.

Still, World Superbikes were decent. Shame about Checa.

RACING SEASON HAS BEGUN, YAY!!!

Chris R

I am planning on going to see the V8s in Austin. Going to wait another month or so to finalize my plans though.

I wish I lived in the area. Had nothing but positive things to say about the city and the track while I was there. Just wish hotel rooms and flights weren't so expensive!

Shaneus

Upcoming Race Warning! Grand-Am at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, TX 3pm CST Saturday March 2nd On SPEED

God damn, that's a great photo.

I am planning on going to see the V8s in Austin. Going to wait another month or so to finalize my plans though.
Australian V8s? Or is there another series you guys could be referring to?
If it's the former, I'm glad there's some international interest in it.

From what I understand, there were a few little things here and there that weren't quite finished/ready at CotA for the F1 last year. I assume that it's 100% now?

TylerD

God damn, that's a great photo.

Australian V8s? Or is there another series you guys could be referring to?
If it's the former, I'm glad there's some international interest in it.

From what I understand, there were a few little things here and there that weren't quite finished/ready at CotA for the F1 last year. I assume that it's 100% now?

Oh yes. Australian V8s, my 2nd favorite racing series. I am excited about having Nissan and Merc involved now.

I thought CotA was pretty much finished other than landscaping. The whole area around the track is undeveloped land and looks pretty rough. They definitely need to do a better job of having more concessions and merch available for F1 this year. That was the biggest oversight for me.

Shaneus

Oh yes. Australian V8s, my 2nd favorite racing series. I am excited about having Nissan and Merc involved now.

I thought CotA was pretty much finished other than landscaping. The whole area around the track is undeveloped land and looks pretty rough. They definitely need to do a better job of having more concessions and merch available for F1 this year. That was the biggest oversight for me.
Yeah, I think that's typically an oversight that's only ever done once. Pretty sure I've heard of similar oversights happening at other first-year tracks that never happen again, so I think it'd be fine.

It's definitely one that's now on my calendar to go to, so if I don't have the forethought to get it organised for this year, it's definitely happening in 2014.

Dead Man

Damn they are looking good this year, have to try and follow them for sure.
Speaking of V8 Supercars. listen to the sound of the new Mercedes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyKTkGHg6eY

Another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFmpLAliiuA

Got to love that flat-plane crankshaft!

Wish I live closer to Austin so I could see these and F1 :(
V8's make my favourite noise in racing these days.

Shaneus

Damn they are looking good this year, have to try and follow them for sure.
You know it's going to be a bitch for us to watch :(
(Unless there's some kind of stream that isn't a bitch to watch. I wonder if there's any legit streams that can be accessed via VPN, or if we need to go dodgy?)

V8's make my favourite noise in racing these days.
No disagreement from me there. I'm also quite pleased with the (slight) de-boganing that two new manufacturers brings.

No thanks, too many deadly spiders down there!
Nothing to worry about down here! Unless you end up somewhere uncivilised, you're generally fine.

Come down!
xLBpj2O.jpg

Dead Man

First race of the V8 Supercars this weekend, the streaming link they had last year doesn't seem to be an option this year though.

TylerD

dubc35

First race of the V8 Supercars this weekend, the streaming link they had last year doesn't seem to be an option this year though.

Really? Crap. I didn't watch it much but I enjoyed what I did watch. AUS-gaf we need your help! Shaneus get unbanned!

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of V8 Supercars. listen to the sound of the new Mercedes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyKTkGHg6eY

Another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFmpLAliiuA

Got to love that flat-plane crankshaft!

Wish I live closer to Austin so I could see these and F1 :(

Damn that sounds huge. There's a big difference in sound between the Merc, Nissan, Holden and Ford. I'm going to the race on Sunday, should be a good one.

Qualifying for the Adelaide 500 starts this afternoon. I have my pizza and beer ready.

Mobius 1

I will be at Circuit of Americas on Saturday, expecting great things.

And hopefully, cheaper food compared to the USGP. $12 for a half-inch cold pizza was a bit on the bullshit side of things.

Chris R

I will be at Circuit of Americas on Saturday, expecting great things.

And hopefully, cheaper food compared to the USGP. $12 for a half-inch cold pizza was a bit on the bullshit side of things.

Did you get that from a local joint or from the basic food stands? I had nothing but good (and relatively cheap) food from the various trucks setup on the west side of the track.

Can't speak for beverages though, only drank "water" I brought in

Dead Man

I must find a way!

-------

Here is the schedule for the Grand-Am Race this weekend at Circuit of the Americas:
http://www.grand-am.com/Portals/0/Images/Events/schedules/2013COTAOfficialsched.pdf

They will have the SPEED coverage online (looks like after the fact) here:
http://www.grand-am.com/GRANDAMTV.aspx
Yeah, thought you might not like that. Grand Am stuff looks nice though, thanks. Delayed will probably be fine since the normal race time is is about 4am Sunday for us I think.
Really? Crap. I didn't watch it much but I enjoyed what I did watch. AUS-gaf we need your help! Shaneus get unbanned!
Yeah, seems a bit stupid considering they had a great little streaming service last year. Might still be around but the page from last year is not active, and I can't find it anywhere else on the site.
Damn that sounds huge. There's a big difference in sound between the Merc, Nissan, Holden and Ford. I'm going to the race on Sunday, should be a good one.

Qualifying for the Adelaide 500 starts this afternoon. I have my pizza and beer ready.
Jealous, I'm working all weekend so I'll be able to watch it on tv at work but not go.

If I find an official stream for the V8's I'll post it up.

Casey Stoners first race is coming up soon. Its such a mindfuck for me to see him in a car, as its like he was born be to be on two wheels. Im disapointed he left MotoGP as a fan, but do understand his reasons and really hope one day he can be a top V8 Supercar driver. I think he can be, but he will have trouble for a while accepting he is not "the man" anymore.

TylerD

But the race is live on SPEED Tv right? I checked my DVR a few days ago but the time on Saturday looks right.

Yeah it will be live on Speed TV.

Be sure and take and post pictures you Gaffers in attendance of any of the Grand-Am weekend at COTA. :D

Frawdder

First day of the new V8 Supercars era was great. The cars look and sound fantastic, especially the Mercs, they bring a sort of European tone compared to the traditional grunt of the Holdens and Fords (and now Nissans, yes the Nissans have a grunt/raspiness to them very similar to the Fords whereas the Holdens sound a bit cleaner). The TV coverage did a decent job of trying to convey the different sound of the Mercs but you really need to hear these things in real life, they're great (too bad they're at the back of the field).

Even more excited for the V8 year after today's practice and qualifying (just sucks that I'll miss tomorrow's race because my city is the worst at planning events and thought it would be a good idea to have a music festival on the same weekend as the Clipsal 500 (and a bunch of other stuff, fuckin' Adelaide)).

Dead Man

First day of the new V8 Supercars era was great. The cars look and sound fantastic, especially the Mercs, they bring a sort of European tone compared to the traditional grunt of the Holdens and Fords (and now Nissans, yes the Nissans have a grunt/raspiness to them very similar to the Fords whereas the Holdens sound a bit cleaner). The TV coverage did a decent job of trying to convey the different sound of the Mercs but you really need to hear these things in real life, they're great (too bad they're at the back of the field).

Even more excited for the V8 year after today's practice and qualifying (just sucks that I'll miss tomorrow's race because my city is the worst at planning events and thought it would be a good idea to have a music festival on the same weekend as the Clipsal 500 (and a bunch of other stuff, fuckin' Adelaide)).

Soundwave? Yeah, March is mental.

Dave_6

Hopefully Speed is still going to show the V8 Supercars on a week or two delay like they have been doing (here in the US).

Arcticfox

This appears to be an official online stream of the V8 race: V8 Supercars IPTV

According to the site it will be free for the first race and work internationally but I will not know if that is true until the race starts as I missed the earlier sessions. It looks like you will need to pay a subscription to access future races.

Edit: If you live in the US and have a specific TV provider you can watch several European GT series on Speed2.com.

TylerD

According to the site it will be free for the first race and work internationally but I will not know if that is true until the race starts as I missed the earlier sessions. It looks like you will need to pay a subscription to access future races.

Working well for me from the US.

Dead Man

Edit: If you live in the US and have a specific TV provider you can watch several European GT series on Speed2.com.
Nice find!
Working well for me from the US.
Good to hear.

Edit: Crompton is such a geek, but I really enjoy his commentary.

TylerD

I would say that was a Webber-esque start by Shane but that would be a compliment compared to that one.

Dat Turn 8.

Chris R

Shame this is only going to work for one race :( So cool to actually watch some V8 live though, love races that happen around this time of the day (well, after dinner for me).

torontoml

Shame this is only going to work for one race :( So cool to actually watch some V8 live though, love races that happen around this time of the day (well, after dinner for me).
Are you getting a "clear" connection?, I've got 20mbps according to speedtest but its a bit more pixalated then i would like

Chris R

Are you getting a "clear" connection?, I've got 20mbps according to speedtest but its a bit more pixalated then i would like

Isn't the best quality, and there has been some buffering issues, but I'm not complaining as I didn't pay for a thing :p

torontoml

Isn't the best quality, and there has been some buffering issues, but I'm not complaining as I didn't pay for a thing :p
OK, sounds about the same. Sucks that it will be one of the only live races I will see. Considering its practically 1am here now.

Top Bottom