• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

TylerD

It was a pretty good race with lots of back and forth action through most of the field. Wish JPM did better but hey, he did lead a few laps!

I agree. Much more than I would have expected from Phoenix. Now on to Vegas to see what racing around ye old 1.5 mile tracks will be like with the Gen 6.

I agree. Much more than I would have expected from Phoenix. Now on to Vegas to see what racing around ye old 1.5 mile tracks will be like with the Gen 6.
Actually was slightly reminiscent of what it was before they repaved. It's not quite there yet, but it's getting closer. Another few years of wear on the track and it'll be better.

I expect the 1.5 mile tracks will suck, because they have always sucked and will always suck.

Going to my first Indy 500 this year. Dont know much about open wheel racing. Who is some of the best talent? What are some things to watch for to make watching more enjoyable.

Tekniqs

anyone got the video of (IIRC) a race in the US. Some guy goes from the outside to the inside passing up like 4 cars and the announcer was like "WOW! that is straight out of a videogame!"

was awesome! lol sorry the description is so vague

Dave Long

Banned
Going to my first Indy 500 this year. Dont know much about open wheel racing. Who is some of the best talent? What are some things to watch for to make watching more enjoyable.
When are you getting there? How long are you staying? Where are you sitting? I can give you lots of information about the race, where to go during the weekend, and how to easily egress in and out of the Speedway. Funds are tight this year so I may or may not be going, but I have been to the 500 every year since 2006.

When are you getting there? How long are you staying? Where are you sitting? I can give you lots of information about the race, where to go during the weekend, and how to easily egress in and out of the Speedway. Funds are tight this year so I may or may not be going, but I have been to the 500 every year since 2006.

The In-laws bought the tickets but they got two of us a ticket each and said it would be $200 for the pair. Dont know where they are at yet. The rest of the trip is paid for though, even food. My in-laws have a big RV and we camping either at the track or somewhere really close. I guess those tickets gets us the two races and into the museum. Think we will be there from Thursday til Monday.

Dave_6

Love this track, so fast!

BTW was searching on my DVR and found that Speed is actually going to televise quite a bit of the 12 Hours of Sebring live. Not the whole race but much better than last year.

Doesn't look like they are going to show any of the V8 Supercar races though :(

moojito

Sure is a lot of green flag time going on here. That second caution was a joke. Not going to complain though, it did shuffle things up nicely. I reckon #5 has this.

Looks like there's another caution now, can't see what it's for, though.

Missed the end of race! Weird I was just reading today that one of the Bush brothers was like one of 5 drivers to ever win on their birthday and it happened again today? Right?

Chris R

Kahne should have won, just couldn't seem to get a run to pass on the old tires at the end of the race. Pretty decent action as far as 1.5 milers go.

And Speed only has shown a few V8 races from what I can remember (Bathurst 1000 the last two years were live, everything else was introduced by Marcos Ambrose and ran at like 10AM on a Tuesday) but they have to cover the race in Austin... I hope?

moojito

Missed the end of race! Weird I was just reading today that one of the Bush brothers was like one of 5 drivers to ever win on their birthday and it happened again today? Right?

Aye, Kenseth was just the third driver to do this. One of the other two did it twice, though.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I've just started following the NASCAR series while waiting for the F1 to start again. It's been brilliant so far. I'm actually enjoying the Nationwide series more than the NASCAR races the following day. Seeing Hornish and Busch tustle in the closing stages of Vegas was epic. Great coverage too.

I'm impressed US GAF. Can't wait for Bristol.

TylerD

I've just started following the NASCAR series while waiting for the F1 to start again. It's been brilliant so far. I'm actually enjoying the Nationwide series more than the NASCAR races the following day. Seeing Hornish and Busch tustle in the closing stages of Vegas was epic. Great coverage too.

I'm impressed US GAF. Can't wait for Bristol.

You and me both sir. Huge weekend for Motorsport coming up.

TylerD

From http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/grand-am-2014-series-name-branding-revealed/

The Future of North American sports car racing now has a name, as executives from GRAND-AM and the American Le Mans Series unveiled the United SportsCar Racing series, set to debut at the season-opening Rolex 24 at Daytona next year.

A culmination of a four-month project that involved New York-based SME Branding as well as fan input to develop the series’ new name, logo and branding, ALMS President and CEO Scott Atherton and his GRAND-AM counterpart, Ed Bennett, made the historic announcement Thursday at Sebring International Raceway ahead of this weekend’s ALMS season-opener.

“The new name says it all,” said GRAND-AM President and CEO Bennett. “In only six months since we announced the merger, GRAND-AM and the ALMS have taken huge strides to become one organization that will redefine sports car racing in North America. United SportsCar Racing reflects the fundamental spirit of how we are working together toward a common goal.”

Two other major components were announced Thursday, including news that the IMSA brand will live on, having been retained as the name of the sanctioning body. IMSA, which was co-founded in 1969 by John Bishop and the late Bill France Sr., will also organize the various support series under the two current championship’s umbrellas.

Also revealed were the class names for USCR, designated as Prototype (P), for the current Daytona Prototype, P2 and DeltaWing cars; Prototype Challenge (PC), retaining its same name from the ALMS; GT Le Mans (GTLM), consisting of the ACO-homologated GT cars currently competing in the ALMS; GT Daytona (GTD) for GRAND-AM GT and ALMS GTC-spec entries; and GX, the new-for-2013 category in the Rolex Series.

Additionally, the name of the holding company for the series and its unified assets will now be known as Grand American Holdings, LLC. GRAND-AM Road Racing had been under NASCAR Holdings, LLC since its formal acquisition of the series in 2008.
The series’ logo, depicting a helmet-like design encompasses a combination road course and oval, symbolic of two championship’s roots. SME Senior Partner Ed O’Hara said the objective of the name and logo was to be “modern, aspirational, authentic, unique and obviously, exciting.”

And as a further nod to its fan base, the selection of the United SportsCar Racing name was derived from a submission by Louis Satterlee in the “Name The Future” fan contest, which was used in conjunction with SME Branding to determine the series’ identity.

“When it came to the branding of our newly merged entities, we felt we had one chance to get it right – and now we believe we have done just that,” Atherton said.

“We began the branding process by listening to everyone – manufacturers, corporate partners, drivers, teams, tracks – and of course, the fans. The input was invaluable and helped lead us to today’s milestone announcement.”

One of the biggest omissions is the lack of sponsorship in the series name. With contracts yet to be finalized, further announcements are expected to be forthcoming regarding presenting sponsors for the championship, set to debut in just under nine months. Currently, Tequila Patron serves as the presenting sponsor of the ALMS, with Rolex as the title sponsor in GRAND-AM's top sports car series.

blanky

Silly name.

However, it seems like P1/LMP1 cars are gone? That's a bummer, but understandable since there were very little in that field. Killing the category still stings though.

TylerD

I am not a big fan of the name either but I do like 6 classes. Hopefully all the classes will be full.

Here is the logo.

BFVscCiCUAAmQpC.jpg

Scottify

I think they'll have a good sized field, at least for the GT class. I did just see that Lamborghini will make it's debut in ALMS later this year, so that's another manufacturer to add to the list.

TylerD

There is a great slate of Motorsport scheduled for this weekend:

NASCAR Food City 500 at Bristol

Food_City_500.JPG

bristol.jpg

The Track:

Measuring in at .533 miles and featuring 24 degrees of banking in the turns Bristol Motor Speedway is very tight and very fast. Racing here was once compared to racing jetfighters in a gymnasium.
The high speeds and close quarters makes for a lot of pushing and shoving on the track, and sometimes in the pits. Adrenaline (and tempers) run high as often the only way to pass is to shove the guy in front of you out of the way.

Race Distance:

500 laps = 266.5 miles

Media Coverage:

TV: Fox Sunday March 17th 12:30PM Eastern.
Radio: PRN and SIRUIS Satellite

Actual Race: 1:00PM Eastern

---------------

V8 Supercars at Rolex Australian GP

125315-v8-supercar-championship-albert-park.jpg

The Track:

250px-Albert_Lake_Park_Street_Circuit_in_Melbourne%2C_Australia.svg.png

Length 5.303 km (3.295 mi)

SESSIONS (4 races total)

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/events/formula-1-rolex-australian-grand-prix

----------------

American Le Mans Series, 61st Annual 12 hrs of Sebring

The Track:

200px-Sebring_International_Raceway.svg.png

Length 3.74 mi (6.02 km), 12 hrs

Media Coverage:

Television Broadcast:
Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 10:30am EDT SPEED TV

Live Streaming:
Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 10:30am EDT I believe SpeedTV.com

---------

There is that whole Formula 1 Australian GP too...

Great way to stay updated on upcoming racing:
http://www.autosportcalendar.com/

Dave_6

I think they'll have a good sized field, at least for the GT class. I did just see that Lamborghini will make it's debut in ALMS later this year, so that's another manufacturer to add to the list.

Where did you see the news about Lamborghini?

TylerD

I don't know why I didn't remember but it isn't an official V8 Supercars event and I will probably have to wait until after the races unless someone streams Tensport. Looks like only race 1 highlights and race 2 will be live on Tensport later.

Dead Man

I don't know why I didn't remember but it isn't an official V8 Supercars event and I will probably have to wait until after the races unless someone streams Tensport. Looks like only race 1 highlights and race 2 will be live on Tensport later.

They are very short races at the GP, and usually end up being safety car events since the track is so narrow and there are no points to lose. If I see a stream I'll shoot a PM to you though :)

Edit: Nice preview of the weekend though, good stuff.

TylerD

They are very short races at the GP, and usually end up being safety car events since the track is so narrow and there are no points to lose. If I see a stream I'll shoot a PM to you though :)

Edit: Nice preview of the weekend though, good stuff.

Not as worried about trying to watch them live now. Thought I had found something but the broadcaster is having issues.

torontoml

Speed2.com is showing the final 3 hours live, (tape delayed on Speed TV).

ALMS.com is streaming the entire race if you're outside the US; if not, it's Speed TV, (with breaks for NASCAR and Supercross), or Speed2.com or bust. :/
Well that sucks, alms.com isn't working for me, I'm in Canada so I don't get speed2. I get speedtv,so I will see most of the race.

Edit: alms working now, though the picture could be a little better.

TylerD

Hey guys, Jeff Foxworthy Grit Chips 300 is about to start on ESPN 2.

No, I didn't type that without snickering.

Edit: Kyle Busch won followed by Kyle Larson by a half a car pinched between Busch and the outside wall. Larson is fast.

Top Bottom