• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

Chris R

That was a fantastic Nationwide Series race. I'll be at the Cup race tomorrow, hope it's just as good.

It was good? Forgot this started so early and didn't have the DVR setup :(

Turned over just in time to see Kyle win again, but I guess I'll record the rebroadcast later tonight.

blanky

I'm really happy the endurance season is back on again. Hearing Specutainment banter with V8's and KERS whining on the background is just perfect. But the tension is missing a little today at Sebring, Audi is competing with itself. I'm kinda lost at what's going on with GTE right now, but it seems to be changing every 7 or so laps.

B.K.

Twitter was saying that hotel prices are very high and that leads to a lack of attendance.

People aren't going to Bristol because it's boring now. They ruined the track when they added progressive banking and their 'fix' didn't help at all.

TylerD

People aren't going to Bristol because it's boring now. They ruined the track when they added progressive banking and their 'fix' didn't help at all.

I have a couple classic Bristol races queued up. Is there one that stands out that you particularly recommend?

----

The Furniture Row car is probably the best paint scheme in the field. Looks mean.

thefro

Aye, he really needed that result. I heard a lot of people saying he was fast, but too accident prone and the team needed to get someone more dependable in the car for a while.

lol, it's his 4th race and he's like 19 years old. Anyone who knows his background in USAC knows he's a pretty special talent.

Twitter was saying that hotel prices are very high and that leads to a lack of attendance.

I used to live in Bristol, and this is true. There aren't enough hotels in the area to cover demand, so they charge $300-$400 a night. I'm not clear on the legality of that sort of stuff but they've been doing it for a long time. To get a decent priced hotel you'd have to travel 60-90 minutes from the track. A lot of people who go to the race just camp at one of the many campgrounds around the track, but that's not really much cheaper, plus you have to have an RV for most of them. The racing itself is also a factor, as most people miss the "old" track. I personally think it's still one of the best tracks to watch a race at.

I thought the race Sunday was average. The finish would have been more exciting if not for that last caution, but I suppose the fastest car won. Kurt Busch was flying through the field at the end but ran out of laps, would have liked to have seen him get a shot at Kahne. Here are a few pictures I took:

lkNhSjy.jpg

4RQF3ai.jpg

xMtoqWg.jpg

C7hdx9i.jpg

zHEyqP9.jpg

6zwvfeo.jpg

Shaneus

Great photos! Truth be known, despite the appeal of Nascar being somewhat alien to me, I'd love to go to an oval event just to get into it. Do the races only go for one day or do they normally go over a weekend and a bit to allow for practice etc?

moojito

Great photos! Truth be known, despite the appeal of Nascar being somewhat alien to me, I'd love to go to an oval event just to get into it. Do the races only go for one day or do they normally go over a weekend and a bit to allow for practice etc?

In nascar, you have a fair amount of practice on the friday (maybe the thursday too, I can't remember), the qualifying and also the nationwide race on the saturday.

In nascar, you have a fair amount of practice on the friday (maybe the thursday too, I can't remember), the qualifying and also the nationwide race on the saturday.

Usually Fridays have 1 NSCS practice, 2 NNS practices, NSCS qualifying, and a Truck Race (If it's not a week off for them).

Saturday begins very early in the morning and usually has NSCS Practice, NNS Qualifying, NSCS Happy Hour, and NNS Race.

And Sunday just has the cup race.

Shaneus

So the Sunday is the main race then? Gotcha. I think. Thanks guys!

Wish it wasn't so damn hard to get into any kind of motor sports here in Australia other than V8 Supercars :/

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I just got around to watching the NNS race at Bristol last weekend. I was hooked from the first lap. Amazing finish too.

Cheers for posting the photos digita1alchemy, they're brilliant. I'd love to head over to the States and go to a couple of races one season. Melbourne does the same thing with room pricing when the F1 is on. It's a bit of a kick in the guts for the hardcore fans.

Chris R

Constant winning or constant arsehole? I have no idea what his reputation is like.

Part of it is that he comes off as really unlikeable to me. Then there is the constant winning, which is aided by his racing against a lesser series.

Just imagine Vettel going to GP2 and racing now... not exactly "fair". At least Busch seems to be mostly done with Truck series racing. Leave the development series for the developing drivers :p

Part of it is that he comes off as really unlikeable to me. Then there is the constant winning, which is aided by his racing against a lesser series.

Just imagine Vettel going to GP2 and racing now... not exactly "fair". At least Busch seems to be mostly done with Truck series racing. Leave the development series for the developing drivers :p
Or a high school kid coming back to destroy the grade school kids' recess kickball games.

I mean, it's always happened to some extent, I remember Mark Martin used to dominate a ton of BGN races when he was also contending for Cup titles... but it seems like a couple years ago some of the Cup guys (and especially Ky Busch) kicked it into overdrive. Instead of having Cup ringers dominating every other week or every third week, it's literally every week.

B.K.

What are the odds of NASCAR saying if you have a drive in the Sprint series you can't drive in the development series?

Zero. Cup drivers bring in too much money from sponsors and fans and gets ratings. They'll never ban Cup drivers from the Nationwide and Truck Series. It's amazing that they actually made them ineligible to win the championship. The first thing you need to learn about NASCAR is it's all about the money Brian France and Bruton Smith can make and the ratings they can bring in for TV.

Dead Man

Zero. Cup drivers bring in too much money from sponsors and fans and gets ratings. They'll never ban Cup drivers from the Nationwide and Truck Series. It's amazing that they actually made them ineligible to win the championship. The first thing you need to learn about NASCAR is it's all about the money Brian France and Bruton Smith can make and the ratings they can bring in for TV.

Oh. That sucks. Sounds like F1 LOL

thefro

IndyCar series starts today at St. Petersburg. Power won pole again but the results are pretty interesting beyond him.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106326

Will Power will start Sunday's IndyCar season-opener in St Petersburg from pole position after triumphing in an upset-laden qualifying session on the Floridian street circuit.

The Penske driver sealed the top spot with a 1m01.2070s lap to claim the 30th pole of his career, an achievement that moves him past Dario Franchitti into seventh on the all-time list.

It was his fourth straight St Petersburg pole and he broke the track record in the process.

"I never knew you could make so many changes to a car through qualifying," said Power.

"In between each round it's kind of hard to find a balance all weekend, but it seemed very nice on used tyres. Going into the final round was kind of straightforward; just go out there and give it everything I had."

AUTOSPORT's 2013 IndyCar season guide

Takuma Sato gifted his new team AJ Foyt Enterprises with a front row start for their first race together by going second-fastest, while Simona de Silvestro backed up her early weekend pace by setting the third-quickest time.

"Each session went better," said de Silvestro. "We made a few changes every time, and I'm really happy with P3. It's kind of a huge relief to be in this position.

"I really have to thank everybody that's supported me through the difficult years we've had so far and to make it now into starting third for the first race of the season is pretty awesome."

James Hinchcliffe was the only Andretti driver to make it through to the Fast Six, the Canadian edging Helio Castroneves out of fourth.

Rookie Tristan Vautier completed the top six for Sam Schmidt Motorsport.

Code:
Pos  Driver               Team/Car                   Time        Gap
 1.  Will Power           Penske Dallara-Chevy       1m01.2070s
 2.  Takuma Sato          Foyt Dallara-Honda         1m01.5776s  + 0.3706s
 3.  Simona de Silvestro  KV Dallara-Chevy           1m01.7670s  + 0.5600s
 4.  James Hinchcliffe    Andretti Dallara-Chevy     1m01.8229s  + 0.6159s
 5.  Helio Castroneves    Penske Dallara-Chevy       1m01.8991s  + 0.6921s
 6.  Tristan Vautier      Schmidt Dallara-Honda      1m02.0645s  + 0.8575s
 7.  Marco Andretti       Andretti Dallara-Chevy     1m01.6883s  Round 2
 8.  Ryan Hunter-Reay     Andretti Dallara-Chevy     1m01.7339s  Round 2
 9.  Sebastian Saavedra   Dragon Dallara-Chevy       1m01.7944s  Round 2
10.  Dario Franchitti     Ganassi Dallara-Honda      1m01.8150s  Round 2
11.  Tony Kanaan          KV Dallara-Chevy           1m01.9139s  Round 2
12.  Oriol Servia         Panther/DRR Dallara-Chevy  1m02.1483s  Round 2
13.  Justin Wilson        Coyne Dallara-Honda        1m02.2177s  Group 1
14.  Charlie Kimball      Ganassi Dallara-Honda      1m02.1198s  Group 2
15.  Graham Rahal         Rahal Dallara-Honda        1m02.2709s  Group 1
16.  Josef Newgarden      Fisher Dallara-Honda       1m02.1592s  Group 2
17.  Alex Tagliani        Herta Dallara-Honda        1m02.3328s  Group 1
18.  James Jakes          Rahal Dallara-Honda        1m02.1658s  Group 2
19.  Simon Pagenaud       Schmidt Dallara-Honda      1m02.4736s  Group 1
20.  Scott Dixon          Ganassi Dallara-Honda      1m02.1715s  Group 2
21.  Sebastien Bourdais   Dragon Dallara-Chevy       1m02.6537s  Group 1
22.  EJ Viso              Andretti Dallara-Chevy     1m02.1986s  Group 2
23.  Ed Carpenter         Carpenter Dallara-Chevy    1m02.6634s  Group 1
24.  JR Hildebrand        Panther Dallara-Chevy      1m02.3179s  Group 2
25.  Ana Beatriz          Coyne Dallara-Honda        1m03.2551s  Group 2

I, of course mean totally legal and sanctioned ways of watching without infringing on any copyrights, trade marks or articles of the Geneva convention.

Vicious

So can someone explain to a NASCAR fan about the no re-fueling thing in F1. I just read about how they banned it a few years ago. I assume the cars can hold enough for an entire race? How much do they hold, how long are the races, etc.

That seems so weird to me to have a race without re-fueling.

moojito

So can someone explain to a NASCAR fan about the no re-fueling thing in F1. I just read about how they banned it a few years ago. I assume the cars can hold enough for an entire race? How much do they hold, how long are the races, etc.

That seems so weird to me to have a race without re-fueling.

There were a fair few accidents with fuel rigs in the seasons leading up to the ban. example. The FIA just decided it was too dangerous. The cars just seem to be able to hold enough fuel. Sometimes they have to take it easy if there are no safety cars.

TylerD

I like Autoclub Speedway. The width of the track and all the different lines they can run is pretty unique. Track is bumpy and grooved and has good character.

moojito

I like Autoclub Speedway. The width of the track and all the different lines they can run is pretty unique. Track is bumpy and grooved and has good character.

It makes for interesting restarts, for sure. I think we need to see a few more handkerchiefs dropped on the track for debris cautions.

TylerD

It makes for interesting restarts, for sure. I think we need to see a few more handkerchiefs dropped on the track for debris cautions.

There you go!

I'm trying to clear out the Bud Light from the fridge that a roommate left when he moved out. I don't drink very often so I am feeling mighty fine and really excited for the NRA 500 in Texas.

TylerD

Great to see Hinchcliffe get his first win... only watched a few laps and the finish in-between NCAA games.

I'm going to find a way to watch it later. I woke up way late and missed most of it so didn't bother at all.

Edit: poor Clint. :(

Logano passing like a boss there.

EDIT: And Hamlin second! Oh boy, this could be interesting ... think Denny wrecks Joey for the win if he catches him?

Top Bottom