• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NBA League Thread - Season 2!

DCX

DCX
108? WTF are we doing wrong, i can barely get to 80-90 without going out of my comfort level...man, Lebron would have 50 if i were gunning for 100.

DCX

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
You dont have my magic touch!

Too bad my D is for shit.

DCX

DCX
well, to bad for you outgunning your opponents should mean more victories but it's weird it doesn't for you...man 8 threes? I can't hit 8 threes in 4 games!!

DCX

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
:lol

It's cause my D is pretty crappy and I have choked about 3 games away.

I'ts been a long drought of games for JJ doing nothing,he just happened to want to abuse Konex :D Lucky me I got into a nice flow with him.

Turk went 2/2 on threes,should have shot more with him :p

Matrix, I'm starting to doubt my internet. I was playing with some friends tonight and I kept seeing "Pheeniks disconnected from xbox live..."

reminded me of all the games we attempted, hopefully it's not my connection :(

want to shoot for a make up tomorrow if allowed?

Matrix

I cant tomorrow *which is today now* unless its like actually Thursday morning 12:30/1 am eastern time and who knows if Konex/Fifty will be around to set it back.

Ive got my nephew all day and night.

I had a lagfree game with Konex and Dm,so its not on my end right now and the 2k7 servers are fine.

Matrix said:
I cant tomorrow *which is today now* unless its like actually Thursday morning 12:30/1 am eastern time and who knows if Konex/Fifty will be around to set it back.

Ive got my nephew all day and night.

I had a lagfree game with Konex and Dm,so its not on my end right now and the 2k7 servers are fine.

:(

it's me

:(

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Fifty said:
I wouldn't either if I was 1-11. My condolences.

Well the record has to do with what I find frustrating about this game. I know I'm not a great 2k7 player at all, but it sucks that it doesn't seem to be my fault (or doesn't feel like it).

I mean I get the ball into the hands of the guys that should have it. I know basketball inside and out and I know the Sonics. I know where Ridnour, Rashard, Wilcox and especially Ray can score from. And I know who they can score against. Ray is hands down the best shooter in the league right now. He doesn't even need to see the rim when he's coming off a baseline screen. Until you see him live you just don't get a feel for how quick his release is and how amazing his shooting ability really is.
Didn't Ray just drop 54 on Utah???

Well it's very frustrating to play against Utah in this game, who are the 3rd of 4th worst rated team offensively in the game. And to see players that are in the D-league shoot a better percentage than the best shooter in the NBA is quite ridiculous. Even more frustrating to see them shoot that well against tight coverage. It makes zero sense. When Ray can't hit a quick pull up in the lane or just outside of the key when he is unguarded (or at the very least not guarded closely). No sense.

I shouldn't have to try very hard at all to find his release point online. If I can shoot at will with him offline it should transfer smoothly to my online games as well. And if the game can't perform in a similar way then it shouldn't rely so heavily on signature releases.

There is no way that people should be scoring with garbage players or rookies that are not even seeing floor time yet (JJ Reddick) because they have an easy release to use. Especially when these weaker players are being guarded by allstar caliber players.

Ronnie Brewer and C.J.Miles going off against Ray and Rashard? Sure makes sense.
JJ. Reddick going off against anyone not named Ronnie Brewer or C.J. Milers? Sure.
Jason Kapano going off against Larry Hughes (top rated defender)? Well of course.

Seeing peole have to go away from their top rated players because they can't shoot with their release points and watching them have great results with these low-end bench fodder is not sim. This huge flaw in the game has created a lot of trades too, trades that would never happen in real life.

That is what is frustrating about this game.

DCX

DCX
Well said, it's funny that i have been shotting great with Rasual Butler and not so much with Hughes. Hughes is shooting like 35% from the field, only had one breakout game when he scored 29 on like 50% shooting. LeBron is somewhat awful to shoot with due to his release and somehow i have been able to do ok with him but man there has been wide open jumpers missed by LeBron and just about anyone on my team that should always go in! I mean this is the ****ing NBA!

High School kids can make open 15 footers, hell i can still hit open threes if you let me for gods sake. Listen i'm all for signature shots but maybe a little tweaking should be in order with higher rated shooters. Ray Allen is an assasian. He will almost always make you pay for laxed D and even with a hand in the face he will drop a 30 ft three on you.

I think there should be a a grace period to the release when it come to sharp shooters, something to help. Maybe an indicator to show you how close you are to actually getting the release point. ( like they do with the free throws. I don't know, i just had trouble Season one with Marbury and Crawford and this season it's Hughes and to a lesser extant James.

DCX

Matrix

Id be happy to shoot more with Howard but with the quick double team all I can ever do with him is dunk and id rather shoot with crappy players,who I have their shot down with,then dunk all game like Konex :p

Rorschach

Truelize said:
Do any of you really honestly enjoy this game? :)
I'm loving it. :D

Ok...well, my 360 works...kinda. If I turn it off, I have to revert my settings, disconnect it, let it cool for hours, and then connect it again. It boots up in chinese and has trouble if I hit the home button on the controller (the colors get all screwy). So...what I'd like to do, with the commissioner's and my opponent's help, is play a couple of weeks in advance before shipping this thing off.

[edit] just noticed Jobber is my opponent for the next week...:lol nevermind...

Well, cold...at least I can play you if you can play today.

There are flaws in this game, very frustrating yeah...but 2k8 FTW

My problem with this game is the dumb clipping and defensive awareness/physicalness. Offensively, I can see True's frustration...I was playing my friend, who is a Bulls homer and doesn't really know an example of good basketball, and this is his style of play:

Pull up with Gordon/Hinrich/Duhon, and shoot a three within 6 seconds of the shot clock, with 2 men in their face. 2-3 feet behind the arc every time. And what pissed me off is that they KEPT MAKING THEM, he ended up shooting 50% pulling that shit, which was very annoying. [I won anyways]

He even said that's how the Phoenix Suns play :lol

But anyways, I hope the next game takes some of these things into account. Some players shouldn't be difficult just cause they've got a funky release...and players who suck, really need to suck.

I guess NBA Live's answer to this was to make "superstar" controls :lol

DCX wanna play today?

DCX

DCX
pheeniks said:
There are flaws in this game, very frustrating yeah...but 2k8 FTW

My problem with this game is the dumb clipping and defensive awareness/physicalness. Offensively, I can see True's frustration...I was playing my friend, who is a Bulls homer and doesn't really know an example of good basketball, and this is his style of play:

Pull up with Gordon/Hinrich/Duhon, and shoot a three within 6 seconds of the shot clock, with 2 men in their face. 2-3 feet behind the arc every time. And what pissed me off is that they KEPT MAKING THEM, he ended up shooting 50% pulling that shit, which was very annoying. [I won anyways]

He even said that's how the Phoenix Suns play :lol

But anyways, I hope the next game takes some of these things into account. Some players shouldn't be difficult just cause they've got a funky release...and players who suck, really need to suck.

I guess NBA Live's answer to this was to make "superstar" controls :lol
Can you play our week 13 game now?

DCX

Rorschach

I dunno, you just have to adjust to the release. Thomas has a funky ass release and most of the time I'm money with him. The thing that bothers me most is the rebounding. It's beyond retarded.

Fifty

You guys need someone to reset it right?

edit: silly me, it is week 13. Good stuff.

FYI Malley, I'll be around this afternoon from like 2-6 and I can play then, doubtful you can but hey you never know. I'm out this evening from 9 on.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
poor True :(

Fif, I wont be home from work until like 6 or so... if you can squeeze it in then, we can go... hit me on AIM... if not I have training at 7:30 or so, and I wont be back until 9 or so... hit me on AIM

Good game DCX.....I shouldn't have turned that into a 3 pt contest, but I was getting frustrated :(

I really need to learn patience.

DCX

DCX
pheeniks said:
Good game DCX.....I shouldn't have turned that into a 3 pt contest, but I was getting frustrated :(

I really need to learn patience.
Yeah i never shoot those many threes :/ Lebron being in foul trouble kinda messed up my gameplan, i was shocked at Z, man you use him very well and he gives you a good option in the post and away from the basket, i wish i knew how to use him within my gameplan but i don't. I have only so many shots to distribute between James, Hughes, Butler and Gibson. Peja is money, just money, i wish i had a 3pt threat like that, Butler hits his but not like Peja does...gg.

DCX

DCX said:
Yeah i never shoot those many threes :/ Lebron being in foul trouble kinda messed up my gameplan, i was shocked at Z, man you use him very well and he gives you a good option in the post and away from the basket, i wish i knew how to use him within my gameplan but i don't. I have only so many shots to distribute between James, Hughes, Butler and Gibson. Peja is money, just money, i wish i had a 3pt threat like that, Butler hits his but not like Peja does...gg.

DCX

I realized I was playing a terrible, predictable offense...I was just kinda thinking at the time that ONE OF THESE THREES HAVE TO GO IN. I was stopping you on D for a sec...but I wasn't getting my shots down. If I had just pounded it inside, maybe I would've come back...but you played well without Bron in there, congrats

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Surely none of your players have trickier releases than Marcus Camby.

That said, I find myself forcing the ball to Anthony at times, which drops his percentage since he's taking ridiculous shots.

Fifty

Well at least it's Camby. Most of his shots (that he makes at least) aren't traditional jumpers, but rather really close to the bucket. Dirk is a jumpshooter first and foremost in reality and his release is a bitch to handle in this game, online. It's so damn slow..I'm not complaining though! Good posts in this thread today. I agree with almost all of it.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Oh Hey, its konex's friend. Bout time someone approved her account.

In other news, Rors is gonna have to send back his 360, so no game for me this week :(

DCX

DCX
Wellington said:

That said, I find myself forcing the ball to Anthony at times, which drops his percentage since he's taking ridiculous shots.
Tyson Chandler and Gooden have weird Bill Cartwright type shooting forms, try shooting with them :p

DCX

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Wellington said:

Go into practice mode and try out shooting with Nick Collison. It's ridiculous. You hit the X button (I put a large weight on it so I can run some errands), go to the bathroom, make a sandwich and then come back and he's almost released the ball by that time.

Fifty

I feel for Juan. Actually, no I don't, because he beat me..but he did gain my respect by outgunning me. He was 8/16 from 3 with 96 points against the fun n gun mavs. and only 3/17 with 51 points this game. I know he doesn't post in this thread much, so I'm trying to do his bitching for him..hopefully he doesn't read this post and see my rubbing salt in his wounds.

JuanMR2

gg ChrisJames

Fifty said:
I feel for Juan. Actually, no I don't, because he beat me..but he did gain my respect by outgunning me. He was 8/16 from 3 with 96 points against the fun n gun mavs. and only 3/17 with 51 points this game. I know he doesn't post in this thread much, so I'm trying to do his bitching for him..hopefully he doesn't read this post and see my rubbing salt in his wounds.

ChrisJames played good D but I just couldn't hit a jumper, a good amount of those were wide open jumpers. Pretty much the same result as our season 1 matchup. No complaints though, ChrisJames played very well. He outshot me, only drove in for the dunk maybe once or twice. I can't get too upset losing to someone whom plays that style of bball. I just lost to a better player.

edit: I wanna give props to AkaBalla's style of play too

JuanMR2 said:
gg ChrisJames

ChrisJames played good D but I just couldn't hit a jumper, a good amount of those were wide open jumpers. Pretty much the same result as our season 1 matchup. No complaints though, ChrisJames played very well. He outshot me, only drove in for the dunk maybe once or twice. I can't get too upset losing to someone whom plays that style of bball. I just lost to a better player.

edit: I wanna give props to AkaBalla's style of play too

Yeah, good game Juan. I knew it was going to be a low scoring game when it was 8-8 after the first quarter :lol

I'm glad that I made that trade yesterday. The depth that Miller and Najera give my team is really going to help I think (Alston was worthless for me; I couldn't figure out his shot very well).

Rorschach

ColdBlooded33 said:
Oh Hey, its konex's friend. Bout time someone approved her account.

In other news, Rors is gonna have to send back his 360, so no game for me this week :(
Yup...just checked once more to be sure and it's pretty dead. I think the graphics card is burned out judging from the burn mark I just discovered. :lol I guess I pushed it to the limit by playing that game with Airbrian. The game itself was like an acid trip, too.

Hopefully it doesn't end up like last time (took 2 ****ing months to get it back).

Fifty

That's terrible, Rors. We've now got two league members, both having good seasons, without 360's. It'll be a pain to schedule the make up the games, but it'll have to be done to maintain the integrity of the league.

Hopefully you can rejoin us soon :( and hopefully Jobber's comes back pronto.

I'm just about to give a (temporary) free win to my arch-rival Akaballa over Jobber. Next week will be an epic game, AKA..yes, yes it will. We play for the 1st place spot.

because of the two games that aren't being played this week, we're only left with two to go.

DM and True

Wellie and Kems

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Fifty said:
That's terrible, Rors. We've now got two league members, both having good seasons, without 360's. It'll be a pain to schedule the make up the games, but it'll have to be done to maintain the integrity of the league.

Hopefully you can rejoin us soon :( and hopefully Jobber's comes back pronto.

I'm just about to give a (temporary) free win to my arch-rival Akaballa over Jobber. Next week will be an epic game, AKA..yes, yes it will. We play for the 1st place spot.

because of the two games that aren't being played this week, we're only left with two to go.

DM and True

Wellie and Kems

Cool, I am playing her tonight. So theoretically we could advance tonight...

Fifty

AirBrian said:
If the league needs a sub, I'll commit.

That's good to know..Considering it might be like 3 weeks for Rors to get his 360 back, that's worth seriously considering. I'll say for now we'll think about it, but if he gives his OK I'll give you instant permission to fill in for him.

Cloudy

Banned
I went thru the 360 debacle the last few weeks and 2-3 weeks is an optimistic outlook. The customer service for M$ is beyond incompetent...

AirBrian

Fifty said:
That's good to know..Considering it might be like 3 weeks for Rors to get his 360 back, that's worth seriously considering. I'll say for now we'll think about it, but if he gives his OK I'll give you instant permission to fill in for him.
Sounds good. Just let me know. :)

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I know I play Kem tonight Koney, but if you want to go at it, Daddyz owed you a game that you never got to play. And if anyone else is around, might as well take advantage that it's just me and one other game tonight, so there should be no problem turning the league back.

Matrix

I still need to get my game with Pheeniks done sometime and if the week is advanced I think I play you Ck.

I cant log into the site right now to check :\

Wellington said:
I know I play Kem tonight Koney, but if you want to go at it, Daddyz owed you a game that you never got to play. And if anyone else is around, might as well take advantage that it's just me and one other game tonight, so there should be no problem turning the league back.

When are you playing Kememsi? We can make up our week 4 game sometime tonight if you'll be around (and a commish.)

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Guess I can't play Kememsi either, so if Konex shows up, anyone who I owe a game to is cool with me.

For those that don't know, I am on the east coast and have to be up at 5 AM to get to work.

Top Bottom