• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NBA2K9 Season 8 Thread of "Kobe do you polish yo rings"?

ecnal

Smokey said:
What do you mean?

sounds like he's asking do you have to play man-d on a post player who has the ball, rather than playing a defender that's coming to help from the weak-side. meaning people employ a serious amount of post play knowing that people have to play man-d.

and i would have to agree, assuming that man-d on post players is what he's referring to. playing 1-on-1 man-d on post play is a crap shoot at best because what the game registers as a contested/un-contested shot doesn't always reflect actual player position on the shot.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ecnal said:
sounds like he's asking do you have to play man-d on a post player who has the ball, rather than playing a defender that's coming to help from the weak-side. meaning people employ a serious amount of post play knowing that people have to play man-d.

and i would have to agree, assuming that man-d on post players is what he's referring to. playing 1-on-1 man-d on post play is a crap shoot at best because what the game registers as a contested/un-contested shot doesn't always reflect actual player position on the shot.

I might be wrong but also if you switch at the wrong time it seems like it really doesn't reflect the D players position on the shot..

ecnal

Blackace said:
I might be wrong but also if you switch at the wrong time it seems like it really doesn't reflect the D players position on the shot..

correct.

and there are people in this league who wait for you to switch to the defensive post player, and then activate a post animation, which will go in 100% of the time due to the player switch.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ecnal said:
correct.

and there are people in this league who wait for you to switch to the defensive post player, and then activate a post animation, which will go in 100% of the time due to the player switch.

I have had no problem with people not switching 100% of the time. Because of things like this.. But I have not been playing in online leagues before so..

daw840

@ Phoenix Suns
@ Washington Wizards
@ Houston Rockets
Portland Blazers
@ Toronto Raptors

C'mon. I know someone is around.

daw840

I am playing Hey Low 2 right now, so anyone else wants to play I will be up for a while tonight. Post here and I should be available for another game in abotu 45 minutes.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I play man on D 100% of the time. Just because i dont like when people dont play on man D against me. The only time i switch off is if im trying to defend someone coming off a screen or trying to jump a pass

daw840

@ Phoenix Suns
@ Washington Wizards
@ Houston Rockets
Portland Blazers
@ Toronto Raptors

Seriously. Someone else has to be around. I am here people. I have made myself available all night for this reason. Someone play me. Free wins for anyone who plays!

DiddyBop said:
was that from our game? i remember being like wtf when that happened.

yes lol. He damm near airballed it hehe.

What I was trying to say before was that there is a note in the OP that basically says there are times when you don't have to play on ball D. What are those times?

Also, when I double team I do switch to a "third" player and play the man who I think will get the outlet pass but I never attempt for the steal, I just want to be there ready. It would be pretty cheap to steal it as like Birdman said the animation is super slow.

Smokey

daw840 said:
@ Phoenix Suns
@ Washington Wizards
@ Houston Rockets
Portland Blazers
@ Toronto Raptors

Seriously. Someone else has to be around. I am here people. I have made myself available all night for this reason. Someone play me. Free wins for anyone who plays!

lets play

yes lol. He damm near airballed it hehe.

What I was trying to say before was that there is a note in the OP that basically says there are times when you don't have to play on ball D. What are those times?

Also, when I double team I do switch to a "third" player and play the man who I think will get the outlet pass but I never attempt for the steal, I just want to be there ready. It would be pretty cheap to steal it as like Birdman said the animation is super slow.

Pheeniks has an explanation for this. He would be a better person to answer it than I.

daw840

Wow. I hate to say this, but I think that the GAF online forum has nearly turned me off video games entirely. I have played numerous Madden seasons, sucked in all of them, 4 NBA leagues, sucked in all of them (or when I win I get accused of cheesing, in the first league). I want to be good at everything I do, I am apparently not good at this so it sucks all the fun out of it. It's just frustrating. I will finish out this season, I may play in the upcoming Madden season, but I will never again be in an NBA league on this board. I just suck at it and I am basically giving up after this season. I know I won't be missed, that's fine, at this point I don't really care. I want to hand it to you guys though, you have nearly made my 360 worthless to me. That's coming from someone who has invested nearly $5,000 in video games/equipment. I have just come to realize that I will never be as good as >50% of the people that play games, so that makes me really not want to play.

/rant

daw840 said:
Wow. I hate to say this, but I think that the GAF online forum has nearly turned me off video games entirely. I have played numerous Madden seasons, sucked in all of them, 4 NBA leagues, sucked in all of them (or when I win I get accused of cheesing, in the first league). I want to be good at everything I do, I am apparently not good at this so it sucks all the fun out of it. It's just frustrating. I will finish out this season, I may play in the upcoming Madden season, but I will never again be in an NBA league on this board. I just suck at it and I am basically giving up after this season. I know I won't be missed, that's fine, at this point I don't really care. I want to hand it to you guys though, you have nearly made my 360 worthless to me. That's coming from someone who has invested nearly $5,000 in video games/equipment. I have just come to realize that I will never be as good as >50% of the people that play games, so that makes me really not want to play.

/rant

Don't be so hard on yourself. People who play on GAF are in the upper echelon of intelligence and skill, so when you lose to most people here you're really losing to the top 10%. You're still in the top 80 bro. Don't worry about it

Smokey

daw840 said:

/rant

wat.

you do this after every game you play against me during the regular season.

you're one game out of the playoff race w/ 1.5 weeks to play.

cool down for a sec.

and gg

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
daw840 said:

/rant

JFMT.jpg

daw840 said:

/rant
bitch.
seriously though, if your whole point in playing online isn't to have fun but to win and win only. well, good luck enjoying that. there is a balance between enjoyment and competitiveness. both are not mutually exclusive.
-an incerpt from
"the way of the kado"

DCX

DCX
daw840 said:

/rant
Online gaming does one thing, and one thing only...makes you notice how much shittier you are than you ever imagined you were. Beatting up on the locals in NBA, Street Fighter and Madden doesn't mean shit.

I thought i was a good Street Fighter player until i got online. I thought i was decent at FPS until i got my ass handed to me in HALO. The lesson is this, if you want to have "fun" create private matches with friends, play sports games in a non league setting with the vets. One player mode is also your friend.

DCX

daw840

I know, I just feel the need to rant after I get demoralized by smokey. Everytime we play, I know what the outcome will be, it's like getting beat up on the playground in elementary school. Except that I can't punch the bully in the face and get him to quit fucking with me.:lol

Anyway, GG as always Smokey. I seemed to be able to hold up in the first half, but then you apparently stopped letting me score....:lol

Daw, my brother, its ok. I know how you feel. For many seasons straight I was smokey's punching bag too. It doesn't help when he has game genie and Yao Ming is allowed to go over everyone's back for a rebound and not get called for it. But as we have seen so far this season I have learned from my past mistakes and there may be/is a new sherriff in town. Believe in yourself!

DCX

DCX
daw840 said:
I know, I just feel the need to rant after I get demoralized by smokey. Everytime we play, I know what the outcome will be, it's like getting beat up on the playground in elementary school. Except that I can't punch the bully in the face and get him to quit fucking with me.:lol

Anyway, GG as always Smokey. I seemed to be able to hold up in the first half, but then you apparently stopped letting me score....:lol
FMT, DM, Shawn, Smokey, Wellie, Dez, Kingpin all beat up on me to the point where i may be like 6-102 alltime against them. The point is i got 6 wins. I beat FMT, Wellie famously in a blowout ( same with DM ), Dez once or twice in MLB 2k7, Smokey never and Shawn once in NBA 2k7 i think with a last second three at the buzzer with Marbury.

I feel the same, go into the game just expecting to lose...but it never stops me from playing hard and learning, picking thier brains...

DCX

DiddyBop

DCX said:
FMT, DM, Shawn, Smokey, Wellie, Dez, Kingpin all beat up on me to the point where i may be like 6-102 alltime against them. The point is i got 6 wins. I beat FMT, Wellie famously in a blowout ( same with DM ), Dez once or twice in MLB 2k7, Smokey never and Shawn once in NBA 2k7 i think with a last second three at the buzzer with Marbury.

I feel the same, go into the game just expecting to lose...but it never stops me from playing hard and learning, picking thier brains...

DCX
and i do commend you for staying loyal and sticking with the knicks for the most part. once they get lebron and bosh in 2k11 it will finally be your team's time to shine.

DCX

DCX
DiddyBop said:
and i do commend you for staying loyal and sticking with the knicks for the most part. once they get lebron and bosh in 2k11 it will finally be your team's time to shine.
Although it won't be Lebron and Bosh it will be Joe Johnson and Amare. Paired with Hill, Gallo, Duhon and "pieces " we will be quite the team.

DCX

DCX

DCX
ph33nix said:
Daw, my brother, its ok. I know how you feel. For many seasons straight I was smokey's punching bag too. It doesn't help when he has game genie and Yao Ming is allowed to go over everyone's back for a rebound and not get called for it. But as we have seen so far this season I have learned from my past mistakes and there may be/is a new sherriff in town. Believe in yourself!
You around?

DCX

Smokey

ph33nix said:

yao is in a slump right now. last two games hes been missing shots that are usually bunnies. And i might as well enjoy having him on the team, as this could be the last game he's ever in :(

It'd because paul pierce is back. 2k must balance the order. And my apologies for this post of failure I don't understand the blackberry browser
Smokey said:
yao is in a slump right now. last two games hes been missing shots that are usually bunnies. And i might as well enjoy having him on the team, as this could be the last game he's ever in :(
Iui

Who am I supposed to play this week? I am supposed to get my internet installed tomorrow (fucking finally) can I schedule a time with my opponents? I'm also in ET now :(

DCX

DCX
ph33nix said:
Who am I supposed to play this week? I am supposed to get my internet installed tomorrow (fucking finally) can I schedule a time with my opponents? I'm also in NYC Time now :(
Fixed for awesomeness. I play you, which i suppose will be tomorrow sometime...im off tomorrow so let me know when you want that second loss.

DCX

DCX

DCX
viakado said:
yep. we're scheduled to play.
i could play a couple of games tonight.

@ Miami Heat
Toronto Raptors
@ New York Knicks
@ Denver Nuggets

me bitch. let's dance
We can play tonight...after 10pm est