• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NBA2K9 Season 8 Thread of "Kobe do you polish yo rings"?

Smokey

Core407 said:
Any plans for a Season 9? I just got the game and would like to get into a league soon.

S9 will be on 2k10.

gg's heylow2, moar tomorrow.

also, there's supposed to be 2K10 info posted tomorrow. wonder what it is...
Where'd you get that from..Operation Sports?

OK NM, Draft Combine sounds awesome, and it comes out a month before the game does.

"Fans can take their custom built players from NBA 2K10: Draft Combine and use them in the all-new My Player career mode in NBA 2K10 launching this fall, allowing them to continue their journey of becoming an NBA legend."

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Smokey

That's interesting.

Too bad I rarely play more than 10 games in the single player mode.

Spectator mode for online games or bust.

ecnal

meh.

they're gonna milk $5 from people who want to start the "my career" mode early, but it sounds like many of these drills/skill challenges will likely be present in the main career mode as wel.

sad to see that they still haven't updated any of the spacing issues either :/

im curious though, will the gameplay be based on 2K10's logic? i might pay the $5 early to see how busted 2K10 will be.

charsace

ecnal said:
meh.

they're gonna milk $5 from people who want to start the "my career" mode early, but it sounds like many of these drills/skill challenges will likely be present in the main career mode as wel.

sad to see that they still haven't updated any of the spacing issues either :/

im curious though, will the gameplay be based on 2K10's logic? i might pay the $5 early to see how busted 2K10 will be.
Same thing I'm wondering. If 2k9 has the same fucking problems as 2k10 I seriously think everyone should try out live.

Edit:Happy viakongdo you bitch!?!

daw840

charsace said:
Same thing I'm wondering. If 2k9 has the same fucking problems as 2k9 I seriously think everyone should try out live.
And there will just be a new set of problems for everyone to bitch about.

ecnal

daw840 said:

ya, i mean its bound to happen, but, theoretically, the draft combine should show how much they actually fixed known 2K9 issues.

you wont be able to use any superstars so, potentially, there shouldn't be any crazy animations or insane iso motion abuse (no kobe spin glitch, no lt-tap, no 90+ handle iso glitches, no 99 dunk issues, etc). one of the big issues with 2K9 is that overall rating means jack shit, while specific categorical ratings (dunk, speed, shooting, handle, pass, etc) make or break players.

for example; 68 overall-rated crittenton is just as good of a scoring point guard as tony parker because he has insane speed, handle, dunk, shoot-in-traffic, and close shot. brent barry is insane just because his release is quick, his consistency is high, and he has good shooting stats. there are a million examples of this "flaw" in 2K9. this "flaw" is also non-existent in live 09, as the dynamic dna has MULTIPLE categorical ratings for a single ability--eg, rebounding, 2K9 has two stats that control rebounding (offensive/defensive rebounding) while live 09 has like 8 (?) stats (offensive/defensive rebounding, box out, rebounding consistency, tendency to get 10+ boards, strength, etc).

so, hopefully, the draft combine thing (full of low/mediocre rated players) will not be an offensive heavy dunk fest like 2K9... although, looking at those screens and seeing how many new categorical ratings they added (which are set arbitrarily) makes me a little worried--unless they have some kind of new logic that dictates how these stats work.

Core407

Banned
ecnal said:
ya, i mean its bound to happen, but, theoretically, the draft combine should show how much they actually fixed known 2K9 issues.

you wont be able to use any superstars so, potentially, there shouldn't be any crazy animations or insane iso motion abuse (no kobe spin glitch, no lt-tap, no 90+ handle iso glitches, no 99 dunk issues, etc). one of the big issues with 2K9 is that overall rating means jack shit, while specific categorical ratings (dunk, speed, shooting, handle, pass, etc) make or break players.

for example; 68 overall-rated crittenton is just as good of a scoring point guard as tony parker because he has insane speed, handle, dunk, shoot-in-traffic, and close shot. brent barry is insane just because his release is quick, his consistency is high, and he has good shooting stats. there are a million examples of this "flaw" in 2K9. this "flaw" is also non-existent in live 09, as the dynamic dna has MULTIPLE categorical ratings for a single ability--eg, rebounding, 2K9 has two stats that control rebounding (offensive/defensive rebounding) while live 09 has like 8 (?) stats (offensive/defensive rebounding, box out, rebounding consistency, tendency to get 10+ boards, strength, etc).

so, hopefully, the draft combine thing (full of low/mediocre rated players) will not be an offensive heavy dunk fest like 2K9... although, looking at those screens and seeing how many new categorical ratings they added (which are set arbitrarily) makes me a little worried--unless they have some kind of new logic that dictates how these stats work.

I hope they fix all of that shit and make the defense actually worth a goddamn.

charsace

daw840 said:
The problems I am talking about are big ones. Dumb Iso's, guard blocking ability, players going through players, especially the superstars, court size (this has been an issue for years), player recovery times (has to do with blocks again) and the midrange game (people get some retarded blocks).

Size of the court, midrange game and collision detection are the most important things that 2k really needs to fix. The court is too fucking small and it allows certain players to be defensive monsters. Collision detection is fucking dumb and can be seen in some of the blocks people get. Midrange game just needs a lot of work. It pisses me off to see a 6'3 guard playing a 6'6 guard and the 6'3 player can block the man he is playing. The best way to create space in 2k is to run backwards or laterally and fire away. Step back doesn't do shit. There really should be a penalty for guys over committing to an iso move. There are also to many blocks on perfectly executed curls. If a guy runs into a screener on a curl he should not be able to get a block.

Smokey

Most of the probelms chars and ecnal listed though won't be fixed until they make a new engine. That is one huge advantage for Live. They took their lumps (and still taking them), but they created a new engine for the 360/ps3. 2k is still using the same engine from back in the Dreamcast days.

kado: we need to play. i will be on later tonight after my stupid 1 day from Xbox Live is up.

ecnal

Smokey said:
Most of the probelms chars and ecnal listed though won't be fixed until they make a new engine. That is one huge advantage for Live. They took their lumps (and still taking them), but they created a new engine for the 360/ps3. 2k is still using the same engine from back in the Dreamcast days.

kado: we need to play. i will be on later tonight after my stupid 1 day from Xbox Live is up.

the engine flaws are pretty obvious, but i still think the ability to fix many of these issues is attainable in 2K10.

i understand that it's going to be extremely difficult for them to back out of the categorical rating system due to their engine, but they should easily be able to fix defensive issues, spacing, recover animations on defenders after specific iso moves, etc.

the game has always had heavy amounts of iso cheese and animation issues (remember AI's money layups from 2K-2K3? :lol ) but i think they could kind of hide those issues if they revamp the defensive ai/rotation schemes.

offtopic, but mike wang has been revealing some very interesting tidbits about defense and running legit bball on offense in live 10.

defense:

There seems to be some confusion about what Lockdown Defense was. The actual feature was that as an onball defender, you could walk up to the ballhandler and engage in a postup-like animation. From there, the ball handler could retreat or attempt to drive around you. That feature was removed because it broke game flow and wasn't any fun.

Defensive Assist is the feature where you hold down a button and let the AI control your player for you. That feature still exists, but as I mentioned before, has been scaled back in its effectiveness. In short, if you don't manually D up your guy this year, you'll be at a disadvantage. So in essence, it's most useful when you're just trying to get your bearings and find your check (especially useful in online team play) or you need to cruise control for a bit to reach over and eat some chips.

offense:

Every team's plays were redone this year to reflect this past season. And yes, learning the ins and outs of the game, playing to the strengths of the team, and incorporating legitimate basketball strategy will give you more of an advantage this year.

ecnal

raptors await magic or rockets.

edit: jrich also needs a visit from jesus (assuming all injuries are re-set after each round).

ecnal

WITNESS2K9 said:
J Rich deserves no forgiveness:lol :lol

Good Series

good games... still can't believe he did the between the legs dunk :lol

i guess it is fitting that he get injured by his old team :(

smokey is scared of jrich anyways, that's the real reason jesus is mia

ecnal said:

If the suns are going down, so is J Rich :lol

J Rich needs to repent first for all his showboating:D

Smokey

ecnal said:

me?

who says i'm going to play you?

if your series goes to a game 5 or beyond, you will probably get him back.

ecnal

Smokey said:
me?

who says i'm going to play you?

if your series goes to a game 5 or beyond, you will probably get him back.
Series is over man. Bargnani reverted back his early season form--that of a beast.

Oh, unless you're talking about the final series, in which case jrich won't play because it won't go beyond 5 games. Book it!

Smokey

Viakado where tha fuck you at. Stop stalling.

We need to get a couple games in or something, I have my grand parents and other family coming to town this weekend.

Birdman02

I'll take the Heat
or the Wizards.

Why don't we do a quick fantasy draft season? I think we could get at least 8-10 teams. We'd just need to limit the number of 90 and 80 rated players you could draft.

Birdman02 said:
I'll take the Heat
or the Wizards.

Why don't we do a quick fantasy draft season? I think we could get at least 8-10 teams. We'd just need to limit the number of 90 and 80 rated players you could draft.

how are the heat a garbage team. They were 5th in the east and have D Wade :lol

I love to do my Knicks bashing but they are not the worst.

Sacramento has the worst roster far and away. It's a huge joke...I'm going to guess their starting lineup right now:

Udrih
Martin
Nocioni
Thompson
Hawes

I'm not even positive if that's right :lol

Top Bottom