• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Neo-Gaf Madden 360 Season 8 Thread: United by John, Divided by Lag

Wellington said:
10-7

Sable, I don't know if you saw yesterday, but I am looking for a rematch of our game earlier in the season.

Yep I saw, I sent ya a im but I guess you were gone by then. Just message me and ill gladly rematch ya. Should be good. Is there going to be a second season just curious.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DCX said:
Epic playoff game in progress, 31-31 in OT, Wellie and Sableholic!!

DCX

:lol

Dude that wasn't a playoff game. It was just a scrimmage.

I couldn't run for shit against him so I had to go through the air for most of it. He TORCHED me with Portis. Anything I tried failed. I ended up losing 31-37 in OT, but it was a hell of a game.

DCX

DCX
Wellington said:
:lol

Dude that wasn't a playoff game. It was just a scrimmage.

I couldn't run for shit against him so I had to go through the air for most of it. He TORCHED me with Portis. Anything I tried failed. I ended up losing 31-37 in OT, but it was a hell of a game.
Oh :p Well still, i'm sure it was epic :p I'm having Madden withdrawals like you wouldn't believe.

DCX

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Wellington, bons added you to xbl. i sent you a message on xbl saying that once you announced you weren't availible today, he made plans after our games today with his wife. He'll be around tomorrow like you had suggested.

The reason he doesn't get on here unless I call him and tell him to post is because he's not much of the internet kinda guy. More of a straight up gamer console and FPS wise. Doesn't do much else. So I let him know when he needs to post and what he needs to do to get his games etc.

vumpler

Will we be starting another season after this on madden 07? I would like to be my cats or a worse ranked team. Make it more fun so i won't be so one dimensional with my pass game.

negatory. while i don't think madden 360 is horrible, it is hard to stomach sometimes. the game degrades into an unintentional cheesefest. now it's not as if the game turns into NFL Blitz, but it's just so frustrating when you call a nearly perfect defense only to have an immobile QB simply scramble for 3 seconds, gain 10 yards of separation from the closest defensive player, and pick apart your secondary. it also sucks when your o-line simply doesn't block.

perhaps the worst offender of all is the kicking meter. i remember complaining last year that the kicking was too easy. i think over 2 seasons of madden 06 i was 57/57 in FG's with nedney. well this year is even worse. at LEAST last year you had to have some accuracy. this year, ALL you have to do is get to your opponents 35-37 yard line, press down on the right stick, then press up quickly. the result? a guaranteed make. the one, the ONLY, thing that can prevent a FG is a spike in lag. do you know how much strategy this takes out of the game? it's god damn unbelieveable. special teams/kicking should be one of those crazy unpredictable things, not a guaranteed make from 52+ everytime.

the game in general bums me out cause it does some good things. but between the horrible lag, the shady AI, and the change in some mechanics, i just can't stand playing another season (as if i had time anyways.... although i didn't "have time" to play madden ps2 last year but i made time cause the game was fantastic)

DCX

DCX
sableholic said:
lol beaten, oh well yea it was a great game though, intense. portis was a monster as was eli.
Sorry Sable, my internet crapped on me til like midnight....we shall meet again.

DCX

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
vumpler said:
And if for some BOGUS reasons Evan does win (which there's no way in hell any of you hoes are getting past Shawn) Lone and Evan should both get credit. Lone would actually be happy if Evan won it because he wants to see Seattle win it all. (read up for proof.)

I just wanted to point this out and say what the **** ever. 27-9.

I gotta go get a hair cut, and then I can play you, Malley.

Yo Malley and Wellington, I am going to be available to play for most of the day. I am leaving tomorrow for a week for business, so I'd like to finish this season out tonight if at all possible. Good luck to the both of you!!

vumpler

Wellington said:
I just wanted to point this out and say what the **** ever. 27-9.

Wellington what the hell are you even talking about? It clearly says in the HIGHLY UNLIKELY CHANCE EVAN WINS. LMAO :lol

It just doesn't make any sense.

Vump says "Evan's not going to win (in so many words)"
Wellington replies "What the **** ever I won 27-9" o_O Makes absolutely no sense lol.

Wellington said:
It just sounded like you dudes were just overlooking me, is all.

If Malley is on when I get home we will play.

which dudes? Also congrats on the win, you vs malley should be a good one.

vumpler

sableholic said:
which dudes?

I second this. Which dudes? :lol Definitely wasn't me I never brought up you being a push over for the games you have coming up and I don't think anyone else did either... No idea where that came from though...

vumpler said:
I second this. Which dudes? :lol Definitely wasn't me I never brought up you being a push over for the games you have coming up and I don't think anyone else did either... No idea where that came from though...

Unless he meant the Shawn comment from your post? Not sure. Otherwise no idea, just wanted to know which dudes he meant.

vumpler

sableholic said:
Unless he meant the Shawn comment from your post? Not sure. Otherwise no idea, just wanted to know which dudes he meant.

Oh well if thats what he's referring to, that IMO Shawn's winning it all... I still stand by that.

vumpler said:
Oh well if thats what he's referring to, that IMO Shawn's winning it all... I still stand by that.

I'm willing to bet whoever wins the malley vs wellington matchup will be the overall champion, but I've never seen shawn play.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Damn, too late.

I heard a bad rumor about Shawn. He went for it on every fourth down, no matter what distance or part of the field against DM. If that is the case, that is against the rules and I would rather not even play him if I get lucky and sneak by Malley.

Malley: Headed to the outlets and will be back around four o'clock tomorrow afternoon. Would be an easy win for you as I would be focused on the Giants game.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
damn.... really... and as for our game, we can play whenever man... what outlets are you going to?? woodbury? Riverhead? We dont have to play until after football.. dont worry about it

vumpler

The gamecast should be up tomorrow from Shawn's game. It basically worked out to Shawn being on DMZcaf's 34-40 yard line and its perfectly acceptable to go for it on fourth there. It sounds like a good decision to not put the ball into the A train and Chrysler's hands.
(you heard me)

:lol just getting at ya where I can DM lol. From a panthers fan: I hate the bucs and I'm sure the feeling is mutal towards my cats.

Damn, too late.

I heard a bad rumor about Shawn. He went for it on every fourth down, no matter what distance or part of the field against DM. If that is the case, that is against the rules and I would rather not even play him if I get lucky and sneak by Malley.

Malley: Headed to the outlets and will be back around four o'clock tomorrow afternoon. Would be an easy win for you as I would be focused on the Giants game.

Unfortunately, the connection between DM and I was "mysteriously dropped" with about 21 seconds to go in the game with me in field goal range. I finished out the game vs. the computer, but I doubt the Gameccast will show up now. Had the gamecast been available, the evidence would show that the down, distance, and score would have made the choice to go for it on 4th logical and reasonable. If I am on someone's 36 or 37 in a close game with 4th being attainable, I will go for it. It was the iffy area of the field, that is a judgment call. The only call DM has an argument with is a fourth down I went for when I was down 10-0 in 2nd quarter on my side of the field (He gets halftime kickoff BTW) and nothing was going my way in the first half. He stops me there, he has easy points. It was a calculated risk I took and it worked out. I really hope the Gamecast shows up though, because I know DM will get the benefit of the doubt because of his tenure. I just wish dude didn't quit so everyone can look at the facts!! I hate this "he said" "she said" mess.

Wellington, I am sorry you are so quick to jump to conclusions on my style of play without hearing my side of this story. I'll be out of town until Thursday on business, so this will wrap up then.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Shawnwhann said:
Unfortunately, the connection between DM and I was "mysteriously dropped" with about 21 seconds to go in the game with me in field goal range. I finished out the game vs. the computer, but I doubt the Gameccast will show up now. Had the gamecast been available, the evidence would show that the down, distance, and score would have made the choice to go for it on 4th logical and reasonable. If I am on someone's 36 or 37 in a close game with 4th being attainable, I will go for it. It was the iffy area of the field, that is a judgment call. The only call DM has an argument with is a fourth down I went for when I was down 10-0 in 2nd quarter on my side of the field (He gets halftime kickoff BTW) and nothing was going my way in the first half. He stops me there, he has easy points. It was a calculated risk I took and it worked out. I really hope the Gamecast shows up though, because I know DM will get the benefit of the doubt because of his tenure. I just wish dude didn't quit so everyone can look at the facts!! I hate this "he said" "she said" mess.

Wellington, I am sorry you are so quick to jump to conclusions on my style of play without hearing my side of this story. I'll be out of town until Thursday on business, so this will wrap up then.

That's why I said it was a bad rumor dude. I'm sure if you were like that someone else would have complained anyway.

Shawnwhann said:
The only call DM has an argument with is a fourth down I went for when I was down 10-0 in 2nd quarter on my side of the field (He gets halftime kickoff BTW) and nothing was going my way in the first half. He stops me there, he has easy points. It was a calculated risk I took and it worked out. I really hope the Gamecast shows up though, because I know DM will get the benefit of the doubt because of his tenure.

I can't speak about any of the others without the gamecast, but this one I can. Not trying to be a jerk or anything just saying that this is something that was covered (heatedly covered if I remember correctly) earlier in the season and was deemed as illegal.

* ANOTHER UPDATE! Going for it on 4th down in your own territory is illegal UNLESS you are losing in the 4th quarter or unless you are in the opponents territory and it is 4th and 2 or less. In all other instances, PUNT THE BALL OR KICK A FG! Stop being *** about this. Call me Commissioner Hitler if you want, but I'm tired of hearing about this ***.

You weren't losing in the 4th or in opponents terriory with 4th and 2 or less. At some point rules have to be enforced. I know from personal experience earlier in the season that plays like that can take someone out of their game or at the very least insanely frustrate someone.

Sableholic said:
I can't speak about any of the others without the gamecast, but this one I can. Not trying to be a jerk or anything just saying that this is something that was covered (heatedly covered if I remember correctly) earlier in the season and was deemed as illegal.

Sableholic, I'm not trying to be a jerk here either but rules are made to prevent people from overtly abusing the game. I guess FMT would be guilty of breaking this rule then too. I was up 21-0 in the first quarter of our divisional game, and he went for it on 4th on his side of the field. Did I complain, of course I didn't!! He did what he had to do to try to turn momentum back on his side. If I punted to DM and he manages score at least a field goal, I am at least looking at a 13-0 deficit with DM getting the ball at halftime. I didn't have a choice but to go for it with the way the game was playing out. I haven't had any complaints on roguely going for it on fourth all season, but sometimes a rule does not account for many scenarios playing out. That happened here...

Sableholic said:
You weren't losing in the 4th or in opponents terriory with 4th and 2 or less. At some point rules have to be enforced. I know from personal experience earlier in the season that plays like that can take someone out of their game or at the very least insanely frustrate someone.

The game was tied in the fourth when I went for it on fourth there. It was the final drive with under 1:30 to go. I believe it was a 4th and 3 a little past the 50 (Again, No GAMECAST!!). What sense does it make to punt to DM on a fourth down when I am about 20 yards from field goal range. Again, if DM stops me he is in good position to score. Like I told DM, it was one of those things. When I am in that iffy area (Opponents 38 to 35), my play calling is determined by the time and the score of the game. Everyone knows DM's defense is raw, so when you get in that area you gotta take some chances. That's what happened here.

Wellington said:
That's why I said it was a bad rumor dude. I'm sure if you were like that someone else would have complained anyway.

You know you can holler at me directly to discuss this, rather than saying "I heard" followed by a spiel on how you dont want to play me. DM told other folks as well, and they IM'd me directly to discuss to have understanding. I guess just posting on the board was easiest, but still..

Shawnwhann said:
Sableholic, I'm not trying to be a jerk here either but rules are made to prevent people from overtly abusing the game. I guess FMT would be guilty of breaking this rule then too. I was up 21-0 in the first quarter of our divisional game, and he went for it on 4th on his side of the field. Did I complain, of course I didn't!! He did what he had to do to try to turn momentum back on his side. If I punted to DM and he manages score at least a field goal, I am at least looking at a 13-0 deficit with DM getting the ball at halftime. I didn't have a choice but to go for it with the way the game was playing out. I haven't had any complaints on roguely going for it on fourth all season, but sometimes a rule does not account for many scenarios playing out. That happened here...

I'd have to agree with you there, but sometimes the line must be drawn. I guess the rule just needs to be better defined. I know in my playoff game I would have liked to go for a couple of those 4th downs but didnt because of the rules. I guess it all just comes down to basically asking yourself if in real life, would a real coach have gone for it? Down 10-0 in the first half in their own territory, I don't know if they would have. 21-0 though, thats a different story. But again I just was saying. I didnt originally post anything altho I too had heard the rumor.

The game was tied in the fourth when I went for it on fourth there. It was the final drive with under 1:30 to go. I believe it was a 4th and 3 a little past the 50 (Again, No GAMECAST!!). What sense does it make to punt to DM on a fourth down when I am about 20 yards from field goal range. Again, if DM stops me he is in good position to score. Like I told DM, it was one of those things. When I am in that iffy area (Opponents 38 to 35), my play calling is determined by the time and the score of the game. Everyone knows DM's defense is raw, so when you get in that area you gotta take some chances. That's what happened here.

Not sure what that part was about. I was only commenting on one 4th down attempt, the one u stated you made in the first half down 10-0. I dont really know much more about the game hence why I said I couldnt comment on the other attempts. I never said the others weren't justified or fair or anything. just was commenting on the one u mentioned.

DCX

DCX
Boy Shawn, you are like a magnet for drama, seriously. I'm sure people hated the way i played with the Falcons but i wasn't unbeatable, nor was i ever really accused ( publicly) about abusing rules or out right breaking them. I know in the 2k7 league there was the hop step-gate that broke out. Since then, i have played, albeit very tentative, but i have still secured a spot in the playoffs.

I don't remember much about our game in Madden other than i think there was a 4th and maybe mid field in the 4th qrt you went for and got that won you the game...i didn't have any time or timeout to mount a scoring drive to win. Like you said you did what you had to do to win.

Bah, i'm just bitter i didn't make the playoffs...i played hard, had an incredible run...and all for nothing...and now with rumbling Season 2 will not get off the ground...it sucks...de ja vu i suppose. Wellie is the Master planner and down right coach of our league. Malley is a straight up beat with a decent running back, and LJ...man you better stack the box, and try to make Green beat you in the air...with Gonzo and Dante out there...pray for turnovers.

DCX

Sableholic said:
I'd have to agree with you there, but sometimes the line must be drawn. I guess the rule just needs to be better defined. I know in my playoff game I would have liked to go for a couple of those 4th downs but didnt because of the rules. I guess it all just comes down to basically asking yourself if in real life, would a real coach have gone for it? Down 10-0 in the first half in their own territory, I don't know if they would have. 21-0 though, thats a different story. But again I just was saying. I didnt originally post anything altho I too had heard the rumor.

To answer your question, it would depend on the coach calling the game. Bill Parcells would probably punt, but Pete Carroll will go for without hesitation depending on the flow of the game. The rule about fourth is contextual I think. If someone is up, there is very little justification for going for anything on fourth in most cases. If someone is fighting uphill, you can't fault a man for trying to take risks to get back into the game.

DCX said:
Boy Shawn, you are like a magnet for drama, seriously. I'm sure people hated the way i played with the Falcons but i wasn't unbeatable, nor was i ever really accused ( publicly) about abusing rules or out right breaking them.

Easy explaination:

1.New player in GAF leagues
2.Trash Talker (Although nowrestrained not to offend anyone's sensibilities)
3.I dont feign humility.
4. Great success in first year of GAF leagues (NCAA football final four, 3rd in NBA2K standings, Madden GAF superbowl apperance)

I basically don't get the benefit of the doubt with anything. Anything that can be borderline considered foul has been represented that way. When someone confronts me, I try to defend myself immediately. But I don't let it bother me anymore.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I am sure it will definitely be a good game with Wellie and I.... we played almost every day last year 2 to 3 times in a row, sometimes to the point where we basically knew what we were going just off of the formation... Guess it payed off, because I won a superbowl and so he.

As for going for it on fourth, if it is not done in real life it should not be done in the game... If it is not 4th and inches in the right situation, then it should not be done. Anywhere on the opposite side of the field when the game is not a blowout is straight up foolish and I would quit the game there...

Also what exactly was that passing problem that we had earlier in the year that they say Konex was doing..?? I need clarification of that... what exactly happens?

Malleymal said:
As for going for it on fourth, if it is not done in real life it should not be done in the game... If it is not 4th and inches in the right situation, then it should not be done. Anywhere on the opposite side of the field when the game is not a blowout is straight up foolish and I would quit the game there...

That's your opinion, and I won't say anything more to try to make you understand it is not a black and white issue. I already spoke with the commish and explained why I did what I did, he understood. At the end of the day, FMT is who I have to answer to just like Konex and Truelize are the guys I answer to in their leagues. That being said, I will give your preferences and concerns extra consideration should you make it out of your matchup vs Wellington.

Malleymal said:

Also what exactly was that passing problem that we had earlier in the year that they say Konex was doing..?? I need clarification of that... what exactly happens?

Thats my philosophy as well, do it like it would be in real life. Although I follow Gibbs style of conservative coaching not college coaches go for it all the time cause college d's are terrible style. But to each his own I guess. Well I don't exactly agree with 4th and inches, but I just dont think peoplee should play madden like a college coach.

And are you talking about the TE fade thing? or the jump ball thing?

Shawnwhann said:
That's your opinion, and I won't say anything more to try to make you understand it is not a black and white issue. I already spoke with the commish and explained why I did what I did, he understood. At the end of the day, FMT is who I have to answer to just like Konex and Truelize are the guys I answer to in their leagues. That being said, I will give your preferences and concerns extra consideration should you make it out of your matchup vs Wellington.

Agreed it certainly isn't a black and white issue and I do agree with you that there certainly are cases were its acceptable, but I just want some clarification on the rule. I was just under the assumption it was playing like a nfl coach.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I am talking about when it is Impossible to defend the pass at all...

IIRC it was catching the ball pressing Y or something, all I know is that the receiver will catch the ball in some weird animation and no defenders can touch the ball... it goegs right through their hands, I hate that...

Malleymal said:
I am talking about when it is Impossible to defend the pass at all...

IIRC it was catching the ball pressing Y or something, all I know is that the receiver will catch the ball in some weird animation and no defenders can touch the ball... it goegs right through their hands, I hate that...

I believe that was the jump ball rule,

* NO INTENTIONAL JUMP PASSES! When you throw the ball, do not press Up + Button of Receiver or else you go into jetpack mode and it's dirty. I know it can't be helped sometimes but come on guys please don't make this an issue.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
naw, i know that garbage, I am talking about when the receiver runs across the middle sometime and the receiver will do an animation, sometimes not even jumping, just different than normal catches.... I have seen it many times, mostly when teams get desperate.

Just thought I'd post this since its on topic, falcons went for it on 4th and inches at their side 48 (didn't make it). I can understand the inches there, but in your territory besides inches (outside of 4th and maybe even the 3rd quarter) I don't think it should be legal to go for in the league.

Top Bottom